Austin
Sponsored by

Snowpocalypse check-in

18,064 Views | 343 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was in Houston for 83 and 89. I so remember now how sustained 83 was. Seems it lasted almost 2 weeks. 89 was more sudden and deeper but did not stick long like most of these storms do. We had 1-2 inches in Houston which very unusual. But it was melted in 2 days? Maybe 3?
tailgatetimer10
AG
Shocked and pleasantly surprised it's 32 this morning. Thank you for the break! It also looks like the precipitation last night didn't pan out
Complete Idiot
tailgatetimer10 said:

Shocked and pleasantly surprised it's 32 this morning. Thank you for the break! It also looks like the precipitation last night didn't pan out

Panned out in Cedar Park since everything is covered with the ~0.2 ish coating of ice that was predicted. It's like walking on creme brulee outside.
Potcake
AG
Same here. Every one of our palms and bamboos look like Dali paintings.
The Dirty Sock
It's a wet icy mess in Avery Ranch.
DD88
AG
Here is the Austin Energy outage map.
Zoom in and click on your area to see the status.

https://outagemap.austinenergy.com/external/default.html

Power still out here. We had our 1 hour early yesterday morning.

Sigh...
wargograw
Hot water and showers came back on this morning so we're back to everything working here in our little part of Manor. Food is running low though. Praying for you folks without power.
thirty-two
AG
38 straight hours of no power, and counting. 2222/Mt. Bonnell. And now, from the ice, tree limbs are really starting to sag, which is not great given all the large trees near power lines in this area.
Charpie
AG
The tree thing is pretty fascinating to me. Growing up in the Valley, we were in a co-op. The co-op didn't care about your trees. If they intersected with a power line, they just cut them. It's so weird that Austin Energy doesn't do that
Ozzy Osbourne
The water in my neighborhood may go out, so our Facebook group has posts like "everyone fill up your bathtubs!!" Way to create a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's the COVID run on toilet paper all over again.
MaroonStain
AG
I drove through Zilker and up Lamar. The Chevron at Lamar and Manchaca is fully open taking CC. They also have fuel. Rain this AM helped melt the ice plus us zany drivers are crushing the layers.

It's slush and not frozen yet. Yes, trees hanging over roads are now soggy from rain and weighted down by ice.

Still no electricity at my abode.
Save pets. Vote Trump 2024.
Charpie
AG
I saw when this is all said and done, we get together and celebrate.

We need a win, dammit..covid be damned.
tailgatetimer10
AG
That is due to the snow slightly melting yesterday due to the sun light and it re freezing over night.. I suppose you could've gotten more rain as well. However I didn't..
expresswrittenconsent
Ozzy Osbourne said:

The water in my neighborhood may go out, so our Facebook group has posts like "everyone fill up your bathtubs!!" Way to create a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's the COVID run on toilet paper all over again.

So if your neighbors fill up their tubs in anticipation of needing some water to flush toilets during a potential outage, how exactly does that create a "run" on anything?
Ozzy Osbourne
expresswrittenconsent said:

Ozzy Osbourne said:

So if your neighbors fill up their tubs in anticipation of needing some water to flush toilets during a potential outage, how exactly does that create a "run" on anything?

Water pressure is already low, we're under boil water notice, and many of our surrounding communities have a water outage already. I can't imagine everyone turning on their taps at full blast is going to help.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Charpie said:

I saw when this is all said and done, we get together and celebrate.

We need a win, dammit..covid be damned.

Yes, Wilco residents no masks
Travis residents double or triple mask .....
expresswrittenconsent
Everyone (2mil metro) is already dripping all faucets constantly for the last 48-72 hours. You don't think that is the bigger load than the fact that at any given time literally thousands of people are showering/bathing (ppl who haven't lost power haven't stopped showering).
aggiebird02
78753, 56+ hours without power.

I just want something warm to eat...
Complete Idiot
tailgatetimer10 said:

That is due to the snow slightly melting yesterday due to the sun light and it re freezing over night.. I suppose you could've gotten more rain as well. However I didn't..
Yes, it rained off and on, mostly on, for a few hours. Looking at the radar at the time, it was widespread over all of central Texas so you may have had more rain than you realize.
Aust Ag
AG
Has anyone here ventured out today?
tailgatetimer10
AG
I took a walk outside to check things out. Super icy but things are starting to melt again. It's unfortunate we are not going to see high 30's today because we really needed it. At least the lows are higher, trying to find the positives in all of this. I took a look at the HEB store closures, and its not good. I am starting to wonder how much of a backlog this is going to put on grocery orders. I worry we will see a influx of people charging the stores come friday.
expresswrittenconsent
Aust Ag said:

Curious as well. Considering a trip to the store later but may just wait another day.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I'd wait unless you absolutely need to. The reduction of stores is going to drive a ton of people to one location:

https://newsroom.heb.com/severe-winter-weather-h-e-b-store-operations-real-time-updates/
Charpie
AG
Water out in NW Austin - Anderson Mill area.
RDV-1992
We are in Barton Creek. Have never lost power, probably because we are about a quarter mile from a dual water/wastewater treatment facility. Ironically, we have no water. Our neighborhood is pretty much iced over. Have at least 2 frozen pipes.
expresswrittenconsent
Yeah, "my" local heb is one of the smaller ones that didn't re-open yesterday. I'm definitely not waiting in line at one of the 3 nearby ones that are probably swamped.
tailgatetimer10
AG
started raining/sleeting here. The weathermen are clueless. Even more so than normal.
evan_aggie
AG
Aust Ag said:

Went out at 830am and got gas. Only 1 pump worked at the place I go.

Randalls (which I hate anyway) was mobbed and my wife went in: said it was basically void of any fresh produce.

She drove by Central Market and said the line to get in was 40-50 people long and we had enough food for many more days so she bailed.

MaroonStain
AG
Randalls in Westlake was supposed to be open 9A-330P but was closed this morning and I drove by twice.
Save pets. Vote Trump 2024.
Tomdoss92
AG
Power was out for 30+ hours Tuesday morning through Wednesday afternoon. Back on now. House went from 40s to 60s again. never lost gas or hot water. 78681. Hope it stays on.
Aust Ag
AG
No trouble with the roads?
evan_aggie
AG
Well, nothing that couldn't be navigated by my wife's Rogue (FWD). Not much ice, slushy, but obviously have to drive carefully. Snow mounds in between tire ruts
Charpie
AG

Quote:

Austin Energy hasn't been rotating outages because the demand for load shedding from ERCOT was so high that it required Austin Energy to drop every piece of the grid not servicing emergency services (hospitals, police, fire, etc.).

ERCOT is currently telling Austin Energy that they expect the power emergency to extend as far as Tuesday.
bankshot11
AG
78704. We just got power back in my apartment building within the hour. Heating up and charging phones. Not sure how long this will last.
Charpie
AG
ERCOT gave the city permission to bring some circuits back online

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.