Austin
Sponsored by

Snowpocalypse check-in

17,942 Views | 343 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
Dr T and the Women
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Water district 17 said they had exposed pipes out here by the lake..so no water to the neighbors around the Oasis
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bloody-Nine
AG
BeowulfShaeffer
AG
Sublimation, possibly. The ice layer probably wasn't very thick to begin with.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Anyone driven anywhere? I live in Georgetown and may need to rescue a relative in Austin who's had no power since after midnight.
Charpie
AG
I would not drive anywhere right now. You get stuck, no one can get to you to help you out.

But if you go, go when you have sunlight.
Rock Ag
AG
78703 off West 5th. No power since around 2 am, water and gas fine. Decided to walk to a hotel with power downtown and got a room.
Billy Foster
AG
Driving isn't bad on surface streets if you don't drive like a teenager. We have one AWD car and have been going around the neighborhood without issue. I'd say if you have to go, just be careful and choose your route carefully to try to avoid bridges/overpasses. Snow is much easier to drive on than ice. If in a 2wd truck, put some weight in the bed before going.
JAW3336
AG
I went from downtown Round Rock and picked up someone off Parmer and Avery ranch. No big deal at all with AWD.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Starting to get concerned.. Still no power and were approaching night
Complete Idiot
After nearly 11 hours we got power back just a bit ago. Not taking it for granted and it may get cut again due to load.

For all of you with power or plumbing issues ongoing - all the best!
wargograw
Just got back from driving to Wal Mart which was unfortunately closed. Snow's probably too deep to roll in a sedan but we have a little Mazda crossover and it was fine. No issues even on bridges.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Still in Austin near Manor, been dripping the pipes and have had no issues yet (knock on wood). Been having the power come on for 20 minutes, then off for 30 pretty much since 1 last night. Basically kicks on long enough to heat the house back to 65. No real issues other than entertaining ourselves and figuring out what to do when the sunlight is gone.
MouthBQ98
AG
Water is sometimes gravity fed, sometimes pump fed. If the pump house loses power, then no water pressure.
MaroonStain
AG
Cloud cover moving back in. The Long Night is upon us.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
SteveBott
AG

actually clouds could help keep what little heat we have closer to the earth surface
JW
AG
No power since 2am. T and P for the pool.
DripAG08
AG
We live in Belterra, just west of Austin. No power since 8:15 this morning.
HECUBUS
AG
We share the power grid with West Lake Medical Center. Using minimal power and not touching the firewood until at least Thursday. We are lucky and prepared, but no chance of driving due to steep hills and windy roads, and no where to drive too.

Very tempted to break the skis out on Flintridge.
agmom95
AG
In Steiner Ranch. No issues here and have not lost electricity. My hubby is at our ranch northwest of Temple and hasn't had electricity since 10:30 am. Boys in College Station have had electricity 30 min off then about 45 min on. Feel so bad for everyone stuck in this tonight.
The Fall Guy
AG
12 hours without power in Plum Creek Subdivision in Kyle. Came back on at 6:15 tonight. Half of our subdivision out again. Still cant use water in the cities of Kyle and Buda. Water systems down.
DD88
AG
No power since 4am just east of the Domain. Fireplace is keeping the main room warm

I'm not sure there is any real reason why our power is still off other than the city is claiming they are conserving energy. I wonder how many pipes are going burst due to lack of heating.
JBenn06
AG
Is anyone else in Pflugerville without power? My parents have been out of power in downtown Pflugerville since last night and had to shut off their water as well due to a problem with their water heater. My dad also did not fill their propane tank before this storm and they are down to 15% left in their tank Also both have very little battery power on their cell phones.
Anyway just curious if anyone in Pflugerville knows or has heard when power might be restored there.
The Dirty Sock
Power came back on at 730. Heating the house as fast as we can
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
78751 here, power out since 2am. Had heated the pool to 80 before the power went out, and the pool is covered but after 4 hours without power I drained all the eq and left it open, turned out to be the right move since the power is out. We tried to check in to the Line hotel but Priceline sold rooms they didn't have, we are now at some friends. Driving wasn't bad with AWD a mess with 2wd but we didn't cross an over passes or steel hills
tailgatetimer10
AG
I think we are neighbors........ Power back on. I am on Gas furnace heat, so this ***** is getting set to 75. I'm not letting my house get back down to the lower 50's again.
Swarely
On the same power grid as the airport, so haven't lost electric yet. My water bill is going to be crazy high after this!

On the plus sides I can now say that I have snowboarded in Austin!
wargograw
I'm on the west edge of Manor (Parmer Ln). If your parents need anything I can help. PM me.
aggiephoenix02
78753, 20 hours with no power...
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
**** Ercot, I hope they are crushed for this
JBenn06
AG
You are so kind. I really appreciate that.
evan_aggie
AG
We are very fortunate to (apparently) be on a grid with Seton. This is what my neighbors reasoned anyway...
SteveBott
AG
Their theory is correct

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2021/02/15/austin-power-outage-40-without-power-amid-austin-energys-rolling-blackouts/6752667002/
expresswrittenconsent
SteveBott said:

Their theory is correct

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2021/02/15/austin-power-outage-40-without-power-amid-austin-energys-rolling-blackouts/6752667002/

How close though I wonder? Most people in austin are "close" to a fire station and yet 40% are down.
SteveBott
AG
I'm not a power guy or grid for that matter. But if I guessed lots of first responders are on a grid that covers the locals. It could add up to a lot of amount of homes. Then what's left there is not enough power to rotate like you want.

Throw in all the down lines to tree limbs, and Austin has mature tree base, y'all got issues. Again just guessing
Swarely
Here's an old article that showed how they prioritized the rolling blackouts in summer of 2011.
https://www.kut.org/austin/2011-08-10/rolling-blackouts-could-reach-these-71-areas-in-austin?fbclid=IwAR0Yn4HdvK5_IPDHRT4uXWmHIltB0x_zO1fOfeY8Hf6I2cG_AcYKC91-gZI

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.