Austin
Sponsored by

Snowpocalypse check-in

17,941 Views | 343 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
AgOutsideAustin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SteveBott said:

We stocked up Saturday. My 21 YO daughter didn't and eating what she can get from gas stations

Can attest to the gas station food run just filled up with gas and there was a long line to check out. Lots of chips, sandwiches, and twelve packs being bought.
discobrob
AG
Complete rumor at this point, but it's flying around my circles that Williamson county is going to shut off water over the next 2-4 days. Probably lose cell service. And power reduced to 25%. Anyone heard this? I've found nothing reliable that confirms it but I keep hearing it from different folks.
SteveBott
AG
Her last run was chips and a six pack. She is not a beer drinker but says it fills her up.
Charpie
AG
The county doesn't control the water. The MUDS and cities do.
discobrob
AG
They don't control power either right? Sounds bogus but I keep hearing it.
fig96
AG
That would be PEC for Williamson. And how would they have anything to do with cell service?

You may need some new circles
discobrob
AG
They've already asked us to limit water usage to preserve power. 1200 cell towers are already down. It's all connected.
SteveBott
AG
Big difference between voluntary and mandated. Also cell towers need electricity just like your home
Charpie
AG
Williamson County doesn't control the power.
HECUBUS
AG

One of a few vehicles that failed to make the hill on redbud off beecave (2244). Walked to HEB to see long lines of people with an hour plus wait. Lots of cars out and about today.
GreasenUSA
AG
Does anyone know why Pflugerville and a couple of other areas mentioned in this thread have lost power for over 36 hours straight now? Why are they not getting rolling coverage like most of the rest of the area is? Asking for a friend who is stuck in her house and can't get any info.
HECUBUS
AG
Every winter storm, smart folks park on top of their driveway so they can wreck their cars. Our driveway is too steep to get out in these conditions and that's always been a good thing for us.
Aust Ag
AG
HECUBUS said:

One of a few vehicles that failed to make the hill on redbud off beecave (2244). Walked to HEB to see long lines of people with an hour plus wait. Lots of cars out and about today.
That is something I would not attempt, they must have been really motivated.
discobrob
AG
I think I found the source of the 75% rumor. Judge Gravell told people on a call this morning that 75% of people will have been affected by blackouts. Not that all 75% are blacked out at once. Seems like people took his statement out of context and embellished. Sounded bogus to begin with but I just kept seeing it pop up.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Why in the hell would this happen. Tonight should be the last test for all of this, with last dump of sleet/snow. Wednesday we finally get a damn break.
wadd96
AG
Because Ecot is managed by a bunch of 3 year olds
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Potcake
AG
Up to 3" of snow possible tomorrow night.
tailgatetimer10
AG
We will see. Right now they are forecasting a low % chance of that happening.

However they've been so damn wrong this entire time, so it will likely blizzard.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Potcake said:

Up to 3" of snow possible tomorrow night.

Jim Spencer says no way......
Potcake
AG
That's who I got it from.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Jim's retiring so he's gotta leave a lasting impression!
Aust Ag
AG
Wow, just saw the videos on the news of ridic lines outside an HEB, standing in 20 degree temps. I would never do that! Unless....
- I'm 21 like Steve Bott's daughter and just don't think about things like that. Live day to day. My 18 year old would probably have this happen to her too.
- Maybe I had no money on Sat or Sun (to get prepared like I did) and I just got paid
- I have some sort of psyc issue that makes me hoard when things happen like this (Covid toliet paper, etc)

And once you get in, you have to know there's not going to be squat to pick from. Don't get it.
evan_aggie
AG
I know friends who didn't have enough baby formula, food, diapers, and other necessities. It blows me away how few people neglected to go to the store days before.
Aust Ag
AG
evan_aggie said:

I know friends who didn't have enough baby formula, food, diapers, and other necessities. It blows me away how few people neglected to go to the store days before.
Seriously. If you are an adult, and don't work weekends...what were you doing that was so important?
tlepoC
AG
Aust Ag said:

evan_aggie said:

Seriously. If you are an adult, and don't work weekends...what were you doing that was so important?

****ing and fighting. You?
Aust Ag
AG
tlepoC said:

Aust Ag said:

evan_aggie said:

****ing and fighting. You?
Haha. Acutally, I think Gen X , etc just are used to taking their news in the "old way"...morning/evening local news...that kind of thing. Maybe the youngs go a different way, one that doesn't tell you of major weather changes.
expresswrittenconsent
I don't think people thought it would be as bad as it was (this is a 30yr event) and the rain all day thu/Fri with 40s temps didn't help.
Charpie
AG
At dinner tonight, my husband and daughter thanked me for being the overpreparer that I am. I always have a ton of food, drinks and snacks at my house..even before COVID. The only thing we don't have right now is bread. But we are Mexican so I have lots of tortillas.
Martin Cash
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

I don't think people thought it would be as bad as it was (this is a 30yr event) and the rain all day thu/Fri with 40s temps didn't help.
30 year, hell. I'm 68 and I've never seen anything even close to this.
Charpie
AG
Jim Spencer said you'd have to be 72 to remember anything like this.
SteveBott
AG
This is shaping up as a 100 year event with the storm coming in. My wife is a food border. That is regardless of weather so that explains a lot about my house.

I have to periodically show her both freezers completely full before she heads out to HEB.
expresswrittenconsent
Martin Cash said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

30 year, hell. I'm 68 and I've never seen anything even close to this.

You're probably right.
I was a kid in 85? when we last got this much snow. But I only cared about the snow, and have no clue how cold it stayed or how many days below freezing.
SteveBott
AG
83 and 89 were our last big storms. While I was there I was not a homeowner which definitely changes your perspective
Complete Idiot
Snowed nearly 12" in New Braunfels in '85 or so. There was another year in the 80's where it didnt get above 20 degrees for 3 straight days and all our pipes burst. In the late 90's in Austin there was a bad sleet event that really made the roads all but impassable and it stuck a couple days.

But I don't think I've seen possibly a full week where it remains under freezing, I don't think I recall single digit lows ever, and I don't think we've had a freezing rain event, then a 6" snow a couple days later, then possible another freezing rain event - all within five days. This snow may be on the ground through THursday, maybe even friday - never seen snow stick around 4 or 5 days without melting away. Been in Texas (Sugarland to Bastrop to New Braunfels to College Station to Austin) since '76, this is an all timer for me.
Martin Cash
AG
December '83 it stayed below freezing for 5 or 6 straight days, but it never got below about12 and there was no rain, snow or ice. Just cold.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.