Austin
Sponsored by

Snowpocalypse check-in

17,468 Views | 343 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
expresswrittenconsent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Interesting map, thx.
bankshot11
AG
78704 here. No power since 1:45am last night, so just about 24 hours. No cell service until recently either, probably because everyone went to bed. It is 45 degrees in my apartment, or at least was the last time I got up to check. We have food but nothing to cook it with, so my meals today have been bagels and cheese sandwiches. I've only been able to stay warm by staying in bed and sleeping under 3-4 blankets. Looks like the Tuesday restoration estimate won't even be met, and we could have to spend a third night without power.

Heads need to roll at the city and state levels for this. If only for Mayor Cabo having the audacity to tell everyone to not use power while he has a short sleeve shirt and accent lighting on during a press conference.
DD88
AG
Thankful to have power again.

One faucet isn't flowing, but others are.
Can connect to house wifi router but can't get to anything beyond that.

At least we're warming up some.

EDIT:
AND it lasted maybe an hour.
Back to the low 50s on our house.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Our power must be back on atleast for now just got all kinds of notifications from my baby monitor, to my thermostat to my sink.

I will be getting my emails to my congressman and senators written while I am still pissing vinegar any sending them in a few weeks when we are enjoying 75 and sunny. We spend all types of money on any number of asinine things as a country but we have the power grid of a 3rd world country. I'll gladly pay some taxes to invest in fixing that *****
tailgatetimer10
AG
Just woke up and am shocked my power is still going.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Texas: the energy state.

Can't handle a normal weekend in Chicago.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Ours only lasted for 1 hour.

1 ****ing hour of power in the last 30 hours and the temperature hasn't been above 20 ****ing degrees

**** Austin energy
**** Ercot
agmom95
AG
Powers been out since 2:30 this morning in my part of Steiner.
Charpie
AG
There is a good thread on F16 about what happened.

In a nutshell, ERCOT screwed this up.
The Dirty Sock
Power has stayed on since 730 pm yesterday. But I'm gettin the feeling that will change this morning.

Also, two outside hose bibs frozen along with washer.
aggiephoenix02
78753 over 30 hours without power. 41 degrees in my home.
The Fall Guy
AG
In Kyle Had power from 7PM till 1 AM Power went out at 1 AM an came back on at 6AM. Now no internet to work but have heat. Expect it to go out again. The other half of the neighborhood is out again.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

78753 over 30 hours without power. 41 degrees in my home.

Very sorry....
MaroonStain
AG
Day 2: brought out the coveralls, found my headlamp and lit gas stove with a lighter. Made stovetop cornbread and greens last night. Oatmeal and cornbread for breakfast then going to start breaking ice. Truck is stuck on the curb when I tried to go on an adventure yesterday.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
BeowulfShaeffer
AG
Same here. 78746. Low 40s in the house. Wondering if I can make it out to Lakeway and my mother in laws--never lost power out there.
Austintm
agmom95 said:

Our power went off in Steiner at 4:15 am
Potcake
AG
Brentwood here. By the grace of God we haven't lost power. We may have benefitted from two fire stations and the DPS complex. Been running thermostat at 60 and so far just some frozen toilets, sink and one water heater.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I'm hearing rumors that CoA is finally shutting Samsung down. This is huge because Samsung's fab uses a VERY large % of Austin's electricity. I am kind of surprised that this wasn't done 2 days ago.
Aust Ag
AG
agmom95 said:

Surprised to hear that, mine hasn't went off yet. I figured it was because we are on the Mansfield Dam grid, front part by the fire area.
Rachel 98
AG
Does anyone know what "under frequency circuits" are on the AE Distribution Circuit map that was posted on the last page?
Dr T and the Women
AG
Aust Ag said:

agmom95 said:

Surprised to hear that, mine hasn't went off yet. I figured it was because we are on the Mansfield Dam grid, front part by the fire area.
I am by the Oasis part and have power.

still no water. WD17 updated to say a lot of their area will have low pressure. do ya'll have normal water?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aust Ag
AG
No water issues so far.
agmom95
AG
I'm in a little sliver that is part of the power grid that is with River Place and four points.

And a correction: it went off at 4:15. I thought it was earlier based on the beeping noise I heard that came from our backup battery, but Austin Energy said 4:15.
Frozen Concoction
tailgatetimer10 said:

I'm hearing rumors that CoA is finally shutting Samsung down. This is huge because Samsung's fab uses a VERY large % of Austin's electricity. I am kind of surprised that this wasn't done 2 days ago.
Yes, Samsung, NXP, Infineon, etc. we're notified overnight. The wafer fabs need advanced warning in order to not ruin tens of millions of dollars worth of wafers in process. Still, they could have warned them and planned to idle things three to four days ago.
Charpie
AG
Ercot asked for more electricity shed from Austin Energy.

AE said no.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2021/02/16/texas-power-outages-ercot-asks-austin-energy-shed-power/6763860002/?utm_source=SND&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=statesman
tailgatetimer10
AG
Frozen Concoction said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

Yes, Samsung, NXP, Infineon, etc. we're notified overnight. The wafer fabs need advanced warning in order to not ruin tens of millions of dollars worth of wafers in process. Still, they could have warned them and planned to idle things three to four days ago.

Yep, Samsung Austin can go near idle in a matter of 10 days. And well beyond half capacity within 5 days notice. I couldn't believe the hindsight of our leadership to do this. I guess if it was a small business they wouldve done it ASAP.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Just drove through Manor looking for a place that was open for food supplies. Only place I found was a Mr. Jim's Citgo Station right off 290. Figured I'd share in case anyone else doesn't want to drive on icy roads for 2 hrs.
Potcake
AG
Wife saw a Twitter that an Ercot refusal to join the Eastern Inter-connection grid may be part of it. Sound like a pissing match.
expresswrittenconsent
Heb open 12-5 today
Potcake
AG
Apparently COVID-type lines at some.
fig96
AG
Cedar Park here, been on what I'm assuming are rotating blackouts the last 48 hours. Longest was out for about two hours this morning from about 10am to noon.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
It was worse than Covid , hit Randall's since no one ever goes but by the time I left there was a line out to 35th
SteveBott
AG
We stocked up Saturday. My 21 YO daughter didn't and eating what she can get from gas stations
Charpie
AG
This whole thing is nuts.
PabloSerna
AG
So far so good in Bastrop TX. We've had power and water without interruption (knock on wood). HEB was nuts though! I drive a Subaru and was able to get around quite easily.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.