Austin
Sponsored by

Snowpocalypse check-in

17,388 Views | 343 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
MaroonStain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Monday morning - no power since 3AM, turned off nat gas to heater, 10 degrees F, have running water, 78746.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
Ozzy Osbourne
Who turned off the gas and why?
The Dirty Sock
- Survived the Long Night
- Supposedly 6 degrees in Avery Ranch per the Weather App.
- We got power and water
- Our two story home is freezing down stairs and hot up top
Ozzy Osbourne
I'm Leander. No blackouts (yet). Still got natural gas. Dripped indoor faucets and I still have hot and cold water. Tonight is supposed to be colder, and it is 5 degrees at my house, last I checked
MaroonStain
AG
Ozzy Osbourne said:

Who turned off the gas and why?

I turned off the valve to the heater. My apt has electric pilot lights.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
ReloadAg
AG
Rattan Creek near 183 and Anderson Mill. 6 degrees outside and about 8" outside. Still have all utilities and house is very comfortable. We replaced both complete AC systems within the last few years.
Frozen Concoction
Hi, neighbor. We have no water at the kitchen faucet. Water in the rest of the house is okay. We had power on through the night. I guess we'll wait our turn for the rolling blackout.
Complete Idiot
Cedar Park near Vista Ridge Parkway, no power since 3:50 and just over 6" of snow. Got generator running around 7am and hooked up refrigerator, then coffee maker, then a space heater under tarps trying to save pool equipment, then tropical fish tank. Have a gas fireplace so warm enough depending where you are in the house. Looks amazing outside but stress and potential property damage could outweigh enjoyment for many people.

Thought the blackouts would be rolling, which would be ok, but some have been out longer than me and others never out once.
beastinBQ
AG
Yeah, I'm in liberty hill. Power has been out since 3:30 (PEC), and hasn't been on since. They're not answering the phone, understandably, but I'm trying to figure out how long we should expect zero power. Getting tired of staying warm in my truck...
Oldfart2
Near Dripping Springs. about 6 inches of snow. Lost power twice last night. All utilities are working. Currently 10 per accuweather.com.

Jinxed myself. Just lost electricity.
BeowulfShaeffer
AG
78746, off 360. 6-8in of snow (difficult to tell actual depth due to drifting). 10degF, no power since 2:00AM. They tried to restore twice, but didn't last more than just a few minutes each time. Too much startup load, I guess. Inside temp down to about 50 degrees.
MouthBQ98
AG
Rolling blackouts every hour for 20 minutes. Enough power to keep house warm. Have wood stove going to help out. 4" snow, ten degrees and windy. Going to be a week before it is safely drivable around here due to all the morons. I almost got hit Sunday by someone whose tires caught traction at the last second and they turned behind me.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Power is still on here. however my kitchen sink is frozen on the cold side. I dripped the faucet through the night but I guess the single handle faucet was favoring the hot instead of the cold. I am not able to get this thing thawed.
aggiephoenix02
I-35 & Parmer. Power has been out all night and day, it's 54 degrees in my house!
wadd96
AG
130/45 in Pflugerville. 11F. ~6" snow. Some drifts to ~10". Lost power from 0200-0300. Had to trudge through that to reset a breaker that tripped when the power failed.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Charpie
AG
Lakeline/Anderson Mill here. Still have all utilities..thankfully. About 9 inches of snow in the back yard.
Rachel 98
AG
78746, just off Westlake Drive. All utilities fine. About 6" of snow. Dogs loving it and racing around the backyard like maniacs.

I see that others in the area have had power outages and I'm hoping we dodge it...I have a two week old infant in the house and not sure how that would go. Not that I could get out of the driveway much less the neighborhood.
Dr T and the Women
AG
have power and thankfully have a tesla powerwall as backup.

we are in West Austin by the Oasis.

Water is out for my whole neighborhood... I hope they get that back stat or this will really suck
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiephoenix02
My home is now 50 degrees inside...
The Dirty Sock
And there goes our power
tailgatetimer10
AG
I'm out of power now. ****.
MouthBQ98
AG
I have a generator for real emergencies but so far running the heater when the power is on and keeping the iron stove fire going is doing the job.

One plus about an older house is the weaknesses have been tested by the elements before and often fixed properly in the past. Not always of course.

Bluebonnet Coop seems to be managing their power well. Rolling blackouts but only 15-20 minutes at a time. Of course, they don't have the challenges of a urban power demand and tens of thousands of giant McMansions to try to keep warm like Austin Energy or Oncor/TXU or PEC does.
aggiephoenix02
I've been without power for almost ten hours.

THANKS JOE BIDEN!
BlazingSaddles
Checking in from Bastrop / Cedar Creek. When measuring according to how KXAN meteorologists have asked, I have six to nine inches (of snow/edited). Much higher when looking at some of the drifts obviously.

bones75
AG
In Georgetown. Power off and on (outages have been 1 hour ti 5 hours in length. Last 2 have been off one hour, on one hour). 19 degrees
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jah003
S
Lakeline Mall area... just a shade under 6 inches. No power outages so far. However... I cannot keep the pilot light on my water heater on.
Mookie
AG
Oak Brook between cat hollow and Avery ranch.

6" snow, no power from 4-10am. Back online and warming up. Got down to 52 in the house.

tlepoC
AG
Domain area. Out of power since about 2am. Cold water lines aren't flowing....nervous about that.

However, balcones park/waters park trail was beautiful this morning. So got that going for us.
Complete Idiot
I'm on nine hours without power now, really hoping it can be restored by night time
maverick2076
North of Leander, just south of 29. Power went out at 7:30, came back on at 9 for about 5 minutes, and has been out since.
Leander - Ag
AG
Leander / CP border (Crystal Falls). Lost power 2-4am. Again 10-12:30pm. Back on for now. 5-6 inches of snow
Hanrahan
AG
Bee cave. Haven't lost power yet. I shut off water at street last night after filling bathtubs and drinking jugs and opened all inside and outside faucets and turned off water heaters.
Charpie
AG
Apparently they are skiing down tumbleweed hill.

https://www.facebook.com/664027362/videos/10159258686102363/
wargograw
Manor here. Haven't lost power. All but one faucet is not working. 2/3 toilets are working. 0/3 showers working.

Our driveway is a steep incline and it was frozen yesterday and this morning. Today it's cleared up. Totally clear. No ice. Considering it hasn't been anywhere close to above freezing, why is that? And when will it be relatively safe to drive again?
Aust Ag
AG
Dr T and the Women said:

have power and thankfully have a tesla powerwall as backup.

we are in West Austin by the Oasis.

Water is out for my whole neighborhood... I hope they get that back stat or this will really suck
I haven't heard of water going out, what is that about?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.