Grandfathering incoming freshmen (current 8th graders) at both CSISD high schools

50,539 Views | 338 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieMom_38
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MTTANK- you mentioned something about Facebook and comments being removed? After you mentioned that, I went and looked and I saw at least one that may have been what you were referring to but it had been edited. Language maybe? I don't know if the station has certain guidelines on their comments, but it did appear that some comments had been either edited by the original user or someone. Don't know if they 'disappear' during that time and are added back or something as I am not that savvy with that. And some may have been removed completely before I saw the one I saw this afternoon. But you may want to take a look and compare to your screenshots to see what's up.
ukbb2003
What is the current split by grade level district-wide?
MTTANK
AG
Oogway, we are both looking at the same thing. There is a parent that I'm in contact with that no longer appears on the thread. Honestly, could have been as simple as their admin pushing a wrong button. I'm guilty of it all the time, no sarcasm there. I think at this point the entire KBTX thing is a non issue. They have buried this story, with minimal coverage. They have dedicated their resources towards Brick's panda report and the like.
GIG 'EM
Oogway
Got it. Hope the parent is able to receive a satisfactory resolution with the school for their kiddo(s). We have butted heads with Administration in our school history. Persistence is a must, and a parent is often the best advocate for their child.
George Costanza
The problem is these 8th graders have been on a purple or maroon track for years now. That will not be the case for the current 7th graders with the addition of the 3rd middle school next year. The 8th graders should be grandfathered.

If you still want to fight this you need to email the board members and superintendent directly ... don't use the feedback email ... and show up in mass to the next board meeting.
MTTANK
AG
B/CS Bear said:

The problem is these 8th graders have been on a purple or maroon track for years now. That will not be the case for the current 7th graders with the addition of the 3rd middle school next year. The 8th graders should be grandfathered.

If you still want to fight this you need to email the board members and superintendent directly ... don't use the feedback email ... and show up in mass to the next board meeting.
Email the board members and super all you want through whatever link you want. They do not care a single bit. They promised these students in the vote that they would be able to go to CSHS since they had already tried out for band and cheer squad, but that they would have to change schools in 10th grade. They are now using the coaches and teachers to try and force 8th graders to go to consol. The order goes Harris>Wesson>Ealy. These three are cheating our 8th graders, as well as our community.
GIG 'EM
AggieMom_38
I apologize if this has already been brought up, but isn't the CSISD policy that kids have to attend sports camps for the HS where they are zoned? Actually, I know that's the case (probably just changed that policy a couple weeks ago!). So, these 8th graders haven't been allowed to attend the "other" school (whether that be CSHS or AMCHS for a particular kid) up until now. That puts them at a huge disadvantage moving forward - it's truly discriminatory toward them. Sports may not be everything, but some of these kids, it may be a ticket to college.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I am from another town, but the one thing that for sure should be "grandfathered" are the futures for students who already have older siblings at a particular high school. Those 8th graders should be able to go where the other kids in the family happen to be, or at least make that an option so that parents do not have to deal with separate schools when doing the things parents have to do--like notifying the school in a family emergency.
KaneIsAble
AG
MTTANK said:

B/CS Bear said:

Email the board members and super all you want through whatever link you want. They do not care a single bit. They promised these students in the vote that they would be able to go to CSHS since they had already tried out for band and cheer squad, but that they would have to change schools in 10th grade. They are now using the coaches and teachers to try and force 8th graders to go to consol. They have even stooped so low to tell an 8th grader they did not make the cheer team at cshs to try and force them to consol. The parent requested the scores of the try out and found out her childs score should have placed her on the team. She was put on the team, only after having to fight the administration. The order goes Harris>Wesson>Ealy. These three are cheating our 8th graders, as well as our community.

MR mTank - I appreciate your persistence here as I live in Duck Haven and feel a bit screwed on this realignment. However, you left out a few details in this cheerleading story so I wouldn't beat that drum to hard - you're slant is too handy for your end goal. 100% correct about the scores but I'd leave it alone past that.

Don't ask for a rebuttal because there isn't one coming.

Edit for spelling
TaterTot_09
KaneIsAble said:

MTTANK said:

B/CS Bear said:

Email the board members and super all you want through whatever link you want. They do not care a single bit. They promised these students in the vote that they would be able to go to CSHS since they had already tried out for band and cheer squad, but that they would have to change schools in 10th grade. They are now using the coaches and teachers to try and force 8th graders to go to consol. They have even stooped so low to tell an 8th grader they did not make the cheer team at cshs to try and force them to consol. The parent requested the scores of the try out and found out her childs score should have placed her on the team. She was put on the team, only after having to fight the administration. The order goes Harris>Wesson>Ealy. These three are cheating our 8th graders, as well as our community.

MR mTank - I appreciate your persistence here as I live in Duck Haven and feel a bit screwed on this realignment. However, you left out a few details in this cheerleading story so I wouldn't beat that drum to hard - you're slant is too handy for your end goal. 100% correct about the scores but I'd leave it alone past that.

Don't ask for a rebuttal because there isn't one coming.

Edit for spelling
I was just at a neighborhood meeting, and heard from a parent this exact information. It was pretty compelling with documentation to back it. I guess it could have been misinformation, but I don't see any details missing from what I saw. The meeting I was at was not at Duck Haven, but close by. I would guess you were not there for some odd reason, as duck haven was invited? If MMTANK was there, I wish we would have been able to meet! He has really opened my eyes to all our school board is doing. I see you do not want to discuss this matter or give a "rebuttal", so I guess everyone can leave it to their imagination. At this point it would not be hard to convince me anything about our school board. I heard from multiple other parents of 8th graders at this meeting that their kids were being pressured by CSISD to register for consol when they had the right to register for CSHS.

edit- wait a minute, how would you know if MMTANK is a Mr?
KaneIsAble
AG
I guessed on gender. Also, reread my 2nd to last sentence; I'm literally agreeing about the scores being validated. And also agree the school board is a joke.

3rd edit to reel in potential ambiguous sentences.
Carnwellag2
Tigermom84 said:

Barret and Nugent are up for reelection this year. Barret voted against grandfathering 8th graders, Nugent was one of the 2 left standing that WANTED to grandfather 8th (Nugent and Schaefer). Rumor is that Barret won't seek reelection. That seat will be open if she doesn't seek it. Another rumor is that the board wants the lady that ran against Schaefer in the last election and lost by 60 votes.

They made it clear last night that everything they were doing was all about taxpayers. Barret kept saying that. What about the children? Who's watching out for them?
So if you want grandfathering. There is a trade off. Which neighborhood do you want switched from CSHs to consol???
Have to answer that question when fighting for grandfathering.
gettingitdone
So is the school board going back on their original decision to let those 58 got to their current school next year and then move their Sophomore year?
MTTANK
AG
HUH? Grandfathering does not involve switching any neighborhoods. We are talking about a net of 58 students out of a population of around 4000. Insignificant in skewing things either direction. Let the 58 kids go where they want, you are the ones that put them in this position by zoning so late in the year. They have already registered for classes and done band and cheer try outs. We need our school board to do whats right for the students and not themselves for once. #fatefor58
GIG 'EM
MTTANK
AG
gettingitdone said:

So is the school board going back on their original decision to let those 58 got to their current school next year and then move their Sophomore year?
The offer you are speaking of was no offer at all. Few parents would send their kids to a high school knowing they will have to transfer to a different high school the very next year. The school board needs to grandfather these kids to be able to attend the high school they were already promised. They are now trying to force these eighth graders to not even be able to register for 9th grade at the school they want, to top it all off. Another display of cruelty by our school board.
GIG 'EM
Carnwellag2
MTTANK said:

HUH? Grandfathering does not involve switching any neighborhoods. We are talking about a net of 58 students out of a population of around 4000. Insignificant in skewing things either direction. Let the 58 kids go where they want, you are the ones that put them in this position by zoning so late in the year. They have already registered for classes and done band and cheer try outs. We need our school board to do whats right for the students and not themselves for once. #fatefor58

Grandfathering causes a lot of issues. It isn't as simple as letting these 58 attend the school they want. What about the next 58......
EVA3
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

MTTANK said:

Grandfathering causes a lot of issues. It isn't as simple as letting these 58 attend the school they want. What about the next 58......

List the issues, please.
MTTANK
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

MTTANK said:

Now I get it. You are saying if they let the 8th graders do it then why won't they let the pre k students be grandfathered argument. The where does it end if I let them angle. So in that case why did they grandfather anybody at all?? The reason you grandfather 8th graders is because you were so inept at your job that you rezoned a district after 8th graders had already registered for classes and tried out for out for band, cheer, etc. The 7th graders have not registered for high school yet, so thats where it stops. In fact, there was not a vote on 7th graders. So it ends when they stopped voting for grades. I do appreciate your compassion for these 8th graders that have already tried out for cheer, made the team, and then bought the uniforms. Who's in the tough position here? The school boards position was self inflicted, the students are the innocent party being turned upside down for no good reason.
GIG 'EM
gettingitdone
If you grandfather in the current 8th graders, what happens to the sibilings ( if there are any) that will enter high school while the current 8th grader is a sophomore, junior or senior? Will the complaint then be that parents don't want their kids at two different high schools? I agree with everyone here. The current 8th graders should be grandfathered as it is the right thing to do.
Stupe
S
So should the siblings if they are in high school at the same time.

If they are simply a legacy, then they should go to the school they are zoned for at that time.
Stupe
S
Quote:

The reason you grandfather 8th graders is because you were so inept at your job that you rezoned a district after 8th graders had already registered for classes and tried out for out for band, cheer, etc.
I don't think that they were inept, I think they were devious.

They knew that this was going to happen a long time before they went public and this is what they did:
  • Released the info and maps prior to a four day weekend
  • Had the ONLY public hearing on a day when the kids were out of school and people were travelling
  • Added a "new" option that included a neighborhood that wasn't on any of the other options
  • Did that after the public hearing
  • Accepted the "new" option without a public hearing
  • Were purposefully vague about grandfathering and siblings during the entire process
  • Voted and approved everything prior to another scheduled workshop

MTTANK
AG

[Posters WILL BE RESPECTFUL to each other on this thread and posters that are rude, insulting, or sarcastic to other posters will get a ban. While we understand the emotions involved in this situation and we are trying to be understanding but we are still going to be strict with this policy. This will be the last ban you receive that will be short term if you cross that line again. -Staff]
gettingitdone
mttank,,,

you need to calm down. What part of " I agree that current 8th graders should be grandfathered" don't you understand? Are you only reading what you want to read? You have to admit though, the question I posed was a valid one and one that will likely come up should the trustees go ahead with letting the current 8th graders be grandfathered in. The fact that these students are being treated this way is horrible and I feel anyone with a heart would agree.
MTTANK
AG

[The sarcasm and back handed comments that you used on that post are not going to be tolerated. -Staff]
Agmaker
Rewatching the end of video of the meeting when they voted to NOT grandfather 8th graders; I think Superintendent stated that there's no bussing contemplated/available 2018-19 for the 8th graders even though the dist wants them to move 2018-19 as 9th graders. Also the board specifically excluded siblings that would be going in future yrs to HS if their older sibling was already at the HS. So those of you thinking you're 6th or 7th or even 8th greader is all good either way because you already have 9th,10th grader at HS need to rethink it.
agnerd
AG
[We have made it clear that any derogatory posting or name calling on this thread will result in a ban and we have made it clear that we are being strict. -Staff]
AggieMom_38
Stupe said:

Quote:

The reason you grandfather 8th graders is because you were so inept at your job that you rezoned a district after 8th graders had already registered for classes and tried out for out for band, cheer, etc.
I don't think that they were inept, I think they were devious.

They knew that this was going to happen a long time before they went public and this is what they did:
  • Released the info and maps prior to a four day weekend
  • Had the ONLY public hearing on a day when the kids were out of school and people were travelling
  • Added a "new" option that included a neighborhood that wasn't on any of the other options
  • Did that after the public hearing
  • Accepted the "new" option without a public hearing
  • Were purposefully vague about grandfathering and siblings during the entire process
  • Voted and approved everything prior to another scheduled workshop

This is a really nice overview of some really questionable behavior
TAMU1990
AG
Mttank, this will be my last post on zoning/grandfathering because I understand the topic is emotional. As you probably guessed, I was on the 2016 committee and I have a different perspective on this than most. I don't think the board did anything underhanded. They scheduled all of the meetings up front and stated that they may not need them all to make a decision. I think they scheduled the meetings tightly together to get a decision quickly because they knew people were anxious. I had no problem with the timing of the 4/2 feedback meeting. One could argue that since everyone was off it gave people the opportunity to come at 5:00 to speak. Not everyone went out of town. In fact, I went to the meeting. You could also send multiple emails throughout the month because the members stated that they read them all prior to each meeting. I personally think the emails had the same weight as the speakers did. Board members brought up in their discussion several emails they thought were meaningful.

I have however found fault with the board because they tried in the fall 2016 to fix the issues many on the committee saw - the zoning was not aggressive enough. They tried to look at different solutions to get more students into Consol and CSHS parents got upset. Some of the responses were inappropriate, the heat was too hot for some members, and the board punted. I see the 2018 rezoning effort as a continuation of what should of happened in 2016. I know most don't, but in reality it is - capacity, debt, and comparability issues were not completely addressed in 2016.

When the board decided to do nothing in 2016 the committee's recommendations went into effect August 2017. This also included the grandfathering of the current 9th grade students. The committee also had grandfathering of the current 8th graders on the table back in 2016 and it was rejected. The cut off was the current 9th graders. This is why I do not support grandfathering now: How can you grandfather one set of 8th graders effected by the 2018 zoning yet not grandfather another set of 8th graders that were effected in 2016? That would mean the kids in town that were rezoned have to go to Consol but the kids out south don't. It's a real pickle that was created from the lack of action back in 2016. In my opinion, if they open this back up I will be extremely surprised. The kids effected in 2018 can go to CSHS this fall for a year if they want or start Consol. The board is letting the kids choose. The kids in town do not have a choice - they will be at Consol this fall.

The fact that the board had to go back into rezoning before the first year of the 2016 decision was complete shows that the committee's decision was a failure. They created the FC Local policy after the community fiasco in 2016 and discontinued rezoning by committee because they knew they were going to have to rezone again. But, it's not a surprise if you paid attention to the details. I just hope they were aggressive enough so there won't be another rezoning effort until a 3rd HS is built. I would of taken a few more neighborhoods - starting with the yellow strip separating the two zones. They could of connected the Margraves Ranch up with the rest of Wellborn. I just hope they didn't vote in haste because of the uproar.

ZFG
IN FACT SOPHOMORES WERE GRANDFATHERED IN THE LAST REZONING(as well as any 9th grade sibling of a current high school student).
This was taken directly from the CSISD website-

Grandfathering (Grades 9-12)
Students entering their sophomore, junior or senior year when the new zones take effect in August 2017 may elect to grandfather. These students could stay at their current school through graduation if they can provide their own transportation. Those who are entering the ninth grade and are a younger sibling of sophomores, juniors and seniors who elect to grandfather in 2017-2018 are also eligible to grandfather and may elect to stay at the school until graduation if they can provide their own transportation. Any siblings younger than high school age in 2017-2018 are not eligible to grandfather.

For reference:
https://www.csisd.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=478577&type=d&pREC_ID=1017177

Edit- So reversely, why wouldn't they grandfather our current 8th graders who will be sophomores when the new zoning takes effect since they grandfathered sophomores last time????
ZFG
And you mentioned "The board is letting the kids choose. The kids in town do not have a choice - they will be at Consol this fall."

Why do you say that the kids in town don't have a choice, they will be at Consol? If that is the case, wouldn't the whole "reverse grandfathering" thing be VERY DISCRIMINATORY towards those kids???
scs01
Wendy 1990 said:

How can you grandfather one set of 8th graders effected by the 2018 zoning yet not grandfather another set of 8th graders that were effected in 2016?
Easy: The circumstances are different. The last rezoning was announced in October, almost a full year before it took effect. This one is being announced four months before it takes effect. The middle schools have spent lots of time this spring having current 8th graders visit their new schools, register for classes at them, and generally foster an attachment to them. There is also the issue of completed tryouts for squads, kids having ordered uniforms, etc. Not the same as in 2016.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I bring this up again--why don't they look at things to make kids want to go to Consol and take care of the balancing thru election. Give it several academies that are schools within schools. This has worked well in many towns. Give it a health science academy, a select school for fine and performing arts, a STEM academy with offerings not at the other high school.

Then open the enrollment in those academies to all students in the district and even to select transfers from outside the district.
honky60
AG
Just remember, the people on the board who made these crazy decisions are elected by the voters, go to the polls and vote them out
Also remember these are the same individuals who voted to Rebrand our middle schools which cost thousands of dollars to buy new uniforms etc, surely this money could have better been spent on educational needs,
DevilDog99
Wendy 1990 - The three main issue you bring up are capacity, debt and comparability. The capacity issue could have been solved simply by having the northern areas that were zoned to CSHS return back to AMC. It makes no sense to live 3 blocks away from a high school and get bussed across town. Common sense zoning instead of this gerrymandering.

So the Board's idea of addressing debt is to accrue $100,000 + more debt by bussing kids across town? Again makes no sense. And who will ultimately pay for this newly acquired debt?

The District requires equal comparability, so both schools have to have the same percentage of kids on free or reduced lunch. This is just a faade, it makes absolutely no difference as the meals are reimbursed by the National School Lunch Program.
02skiag
AG
Did the district state that free lunch is the reason for equalizing demographics? I can think of a multitude of reasons for doing it but I don't recall reading the district stating only a single reason as you suggest.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.