Grandfathering incoming freshmen (current 8th graders) at both CSISD high schools

50,644 Views | 338 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieMom_38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd like to hear one person tell me how their child's 9th grade schedule will change now that they are zoned to Consol and not to CSHS. Honors English? Both schools have it. Choir? Honors Choir? Both offer it. AP Geometry? On level History? Nope, both schools offer it. Football? Both high schools have freshmen teams. How, exactly, will you have to go and re-do your child's schedule?
Stupe
S
Have you registered an incoming high school freshman recently?
Sailor
Starting in the fall, I will have one senior at CSHS and a freshman at CSHS. The senior will be the primary transport for my freshman. Then in fall of 2019, after being indoctrinated into CSHS, my then sophomore will have to go to Consol? What rocket-scientist came up with this ingenious plan?

They have to grandfather 8th graders if they want to go to either high school. We can't be talking about too many kids.
motherrunnersBCS
Wait, didn't we have to pay a bunch of money to "rebrand" the schools so that the 7th and 8th graders would somehow "match" the high school they were going to go to? Like that was very important (not that I agree) and now suddenly the semester before they go to high school, it no longer matters for that group of 8th graders? If it is no longer deemed important that 8th graders "identify" with the high school they are about to go to, why do we have to spend the money to rebrand the schools? Spend the money on computer classes, speech classes, or the arts, anything academic.
Here is the CSISD High School Course Catalog. There is only one--not one for Consol and one for CSHS. Go to page 23 and you will see that the 5 year plan form that 8th graders fill out is identical for for both high schools. Not close. Not almost the same. Identical.

https://1.cdn.edl.io/apzgKmyaU4EL0z7uRcXxMbpI1jwn2YiJswK4GibIYkPdGqiP.pdf
Stupe
S
Quote:

Wait, didn't we have to pay a bunch of money to "rebrand" the schools so that the 7th and 8th graders would somehow "match" the high school they were going to go to?
No. The re-branding was to neutralize the middle schools so that they didn't identify with either high school.

Yes, Stupe. I have registered 2 freshmen in the last 5 years. And I will register another one this time next year. So perhaps other parents have registered more than I have but I'm not completely inexperienced.

Get your kids ready for life. Things change. Bosses sometimes put in place rules that you think are unfair or stupid. You or spouses sometimes get transfers and you move your family to a new city. College professors sometimes change the assignment days before deadlines. Stuff happens. Teach your kid how to be flexible and resilient and mature. Those are great skills to have.
Stupe
S
Thanks for the life lesson.
I will write down those wisdom nuggets, put them on a card, carry it in my wallet , and will use them the next time someone tells me that I'm too soft on my kids and that I'm raising snowflakes.

It will be the first time that anyone has every told me that, but I'll be sure and pull out that card when it happens.

I really appreciate it.

I'll also make sure to tell them that using logic and common sense is a bad idea and the best thing to do is ignore those factors when using this as an example.
csnole
Why don't you take the sarcasm down a notch? there are life lessons for both adults and kids in every situation in life - we don't need you to explain that, but please explain how this non grandfathering of 58 8th graders makes sense??

If the schedule process is so easy why does the district start months in advance?? And Yes there are classes at both high schools that are unique (check out page 2) my incoming 9th grader has 1 listed as a potential elective.

Good day
Stupe
S
Quote:

I thought they would grandfather the 8th graders but our current 8th grader was one of the 18% at CSMS going to Consol and that didnt change so her schedule should stay roughly the same
The issue is with the 8th graders that are currently zone and registered at CSHS. Many of them have already had tryouts for extracurricular activities.

Those kids either have to do that again or switch schools as a sophomore. They should have at least been given the option to stay at CSHS but provide their own transportation.
aggielawyer00
AG
What is the number of kids that are currently zoned for Consol and are being moved to CSHS? Is that included in the 58? Truly just curious on this number, as I have read it posted here and elsewhere as "58 that should have been grandfathered to CSHS".
MTTANK
AG
aggielawyer00 said:

What is the number of kids that are currently zoned for Consol and are being moved to CSHS? Is that included in the 58? Truly just curious on this number, as I have read it posted here and elsewhere as "58 that should have been grandfathered to CSHS".
That's a great question that I will figure out by the end of the day. The number was direct from the meeting so I need to go back and watch that part again. If I had to guess, I'm pretty sure the school board would not have put the poor students they are bussing away from consol in that number. I come to that conclusion because the poor kids from consol have not even been represented to matter in any of the meetings by our esteemed board memebers. In fact, they repeatedly used walkers zoned to cshs being moved would just break their heart and it was unacceptable. Never even mentioned the poor students, just show that they are okay with bussing poor walkers that attend consol to cshs. As long as that gets rid of them from consol, its A-Okay in their book. I can promise you there have been multiple complaints from poor consol parents in walking distance that had no idea what was going on. I plan to try and get BOTH sides some help with all of this.

edit- By sides, I mean schools. And for the record I think poor consol walkers should be the focus before the rich being bussed so far it feels like a daily field trip to Houston.
GIG 'EM
ChiefHaus
MTTANK said:

aggielawyer00 said:

That's a great question that I will figure out by the end of the day. The number was direct from the meeting so I need to go back and watch that part again. If I had to guess, I'm pretty sure the school board would not have put the poor students they are bussing away from consol in that number. I come to that conclusion because the poor kids from consol have not even been represented to matter in any of the meetings by our esteemed board memebers. In fact, they repeatedly used walkers zoned to cshs being moved would just break their heart and it was unacceptable. Never even mentioned the poor students, just show that they are okay with bussing poor walkers that attend consol to cshs. As long as that gets rid of them from consol, its A-Okay in their book. I can promise you there have been multiple complaints from poor consol parents in walking distance that had no idea what was going on. I plan to try and get BOTH sides some help with all of this.

edit- By sides, I mean schools. And for the record I think poor consol walkers should be the focus before the rich being bussed so far it feels like a daily field trip to Houston.
Are the kids they are taking from Consol walkers?
MTTANK
AG
Indeed they are Chief. I already have compiled multiple upset poor families that walked to consol and will now be bussed away to CSHS.
GIG 'EM
kraut
AG
aggielawyer00 said:

The 58 number is the net difference between the two grandfathering scenarios presented: Here's the breakdown from a picture of a slide making the rounds this morning:

Grandfathering incoming 10th and up:
School Year 2019/20 2020/21 2021/22 2022/23
Consol # ... 1906 ...... 2048 ...... 2255 ...... 2375
CSHS # ..... 2039 ...... 2011 ...... 2038 ...... 2191

Grandfathering incoming 9th and up:
School Year 2019/20 2020/21 2021/22 2022/23
Consol # ... 1848 ...... 1991 ...... 2197 ...... 2375
CSHS # ..... 2097 ...... 2069 ...... 2096 ...... 2191

Edit: can't format very well
Stupe
S
For the record, my biggest issue with this entire thing is what they are doing to the current 8th graders. The rezoning had to happen due to their sacred numbers.

Not giving the current 8th graders the option to grandfather was wrong and proved that they don't care what is best for the kids as long as those sacred numbers are met.
Wicked Good Ag
and if you look at my previous posts I agree with you on that issue...i just don't make it personal
I intended no sarcasm in my message. I'm sorry if it came off that way.

I am very aware of the couple of classes that differ between the 2 high schools. The only 9th grade elective that is available at CSHS that is not avail at Consol is Intro to Engineering Design. Consol does not offer that class but there is a similar class called Principles of Applied Engineering offered to freshman and it serves as the pre-req for all the engineering,design and robotics classes that follow. It should be an easy swap on the 5 year plan. I hope that helps, in all seriousness.

edit: typo
Wicked Good Ag
There is a difference between sticking to your guns and getting nothing accomplished and not cowering to the masses by keeping to you opinions but still compromising.

If you have noticed I agree with quite a bit of what Stipe and others think. However I don't take it or make it personal. My wife just told be KBTX has an article that says threats have been made to "keep one eye open at night"
Stupe
S
That is completely uncalled for and if they figure out who did that then they need to file terroristic threat charges on them.
WoodAg
Wicked - was that pertaining to board members? Just checked kbtx but did not see anything. Certainly does not mean it's. It there!
Wicked Good Ag
Face book KBTX I was told
Oogway
I agree Stupe and Wicked, emotions run high, and people get upset, but that is just too too much.
As far as the grandfathering, I was surprised they didn't just go ahead and include those #s since it was so late in the spring. They (school board) knew or at least Administration did when the schedules were to be selected. It is around the same time every year. Almost every child that has an opportunity to grandfather does so, so why they didn't just go from there was a bit lame. Had they done so earlier, they could have held off on the 8th grade registration even if that meant Templeton would have to guess on CATE transfers. I'm still not convinced Templeton's algorithm is all that anyway.

In an earler post, I had asked for anyone that had been through some of these rezones before to chime in. It wasn't to belittle the fears of or condescend to those who were facing a potential move. It was to give parents an opportunity to reach out and connect with each other and to ask questions about the experience good or bad so if the final decision didn't go the way someone wanted, they would have some resources here for how to get dialed in. As I've said before, we have been affected by prior adjustments but I knew that some folks don't value my opinion so I was hoping that others might step in. Maybe it's too soon, but I hope we can weather this together. I won't have a student in the system when hs #3 comes around, but when that does I hope the citizens don't go scorched earth on all the good things that have happened over the last (almost) 100 years.
aggielawyer00
AG
Thank you for that information.
MTTANK
AG
Wicked Good, not sure if your response was to me earlier, but I meant no disrespect to you. You have made very valid points and we are all in this together. As far as threats, I did see this on KBTX FB page and know who it was. Poor choice on their part, and does nothing but help frame everyone that is upset as unrealistic. I think it helps to Humanize the school board members as well, and take the earned heat they are getting off them. I also saw claims from poor parents that attend consol that are being bussed to cshs taken off the site. I have screen shots and proof of this. Not sure whats going on, but can understand kbtx CTHOA.
GIG 'EM
Tigermom84
AG
Looks like this is a done deal for Wesson. He's insisting that all the educators reach out to the new 8th graders and start the work to make sure they are properly indoctrinated into to their new school. He wants this to be a done deal, no matter what the community says. After listening to him talk in the recording from yesterday, he's running the show now.
MTTANK
AG
Tigermom84 said:

Looks like this is a done deal for Wesson. He's insisting that all the educators reach out to the new 8th graders and start the work to make sure they are properly indoctrinated into to their new school. He wants this to be a done deal, no matter what the community says. After listening to him talk in the recording from yesterday, he's running the show now.
I have confirmed this. They are now trying to force these 8th graders to change schools, instead of giving them a chance to go for one year like they promised at the meeting. This is being done to give no chance of grandfathering for these 8th graders no matter what our community asks for in the next 30 days. They do not want to give families any time to be able to respond and get this overturned.
GIG 'EM
AggieMom_38
Enough! This has got to end. These people have no concern for the kids including Ealy. Someone tell me how to get involved to speak for the kids.
WoodAg
Just going on record that I believe there is a 0% chNce that all 8th graders will go to the new zones next year.

They voted on 2019. It was a bad vote.

I'm not by ying into a lot of the conspiracy stuff right now.
Some developer has he majority of the board in their pocket? The guy in question is not only involved in Margraves but in Creek Meadows.

I'll be back to eat crow if those 8th graders all end up in new zones in 3 months.
Until then, I think I'll refrIn from living in fear.
Oogway
In order of ranking, this is my opinion (not fact, no science, just opinion):

1. Since it was not all that many students, they (SB)should have just accounted for those 8th numbers and adjusted from there. People would have been upset about zoning no matter what, but late in the year for 8th graders, is an even harder change on families.

2. If you (educators) are going to reach out to the students (since you are enforcing the 8th zoning), make sure you keep your promise and let them choose.

3. If you (educators) are reaching out because you think it will be better for students to make a 'clean break' and will ease the transition, why in the heck don't you reach out to a parent first? They are the ones who best know their child and what is best for their family. Don't make assumptions nor assume that you know what is best for them. All of us do that, I know I do, and I get called out for it and it makes me stop and reflect. I think both the SB and the educators need to stop and reflect for a moment and maybe ask parents what will help. (If someone says not rezone, I am not touching that with a ten foot pole right now; someone else might need to...)

4. Each family handles change differently, and what works for some doesn't necessarily work for another. We don't always get to choose, but the school district should step back and let the families choose.

Flame away!

Edit-can't type
MTTANK
AG
Oogway said:

In order of ranking, this is my opinion (not fact, no science, just opinion):

1. Since it was not all that many students, they (SB)should have just accounted for those 8th numbers and adjusted from there. People would have been upset about zoning no matter what, but late in the year for 8th graders, is an even harder change on families.

2. If you (educators) are going to reach out to the students (since you are enforcing the 8th zoning), make sure you keep your promise and let them choose.

3. If you (educators) are reaching out because you think it will be better for students to make a 'clean break' and will ease the transition, why in the heck don't you reach out to a parent first? They are the ones who best know their child and what is best for their family. Don't make assumptions nor assume that you know what is best for them. All of us do that, I know I do, and I get called out for it and it makes me stop and reflect. I think both the SB and the educators need to stop and reflect for a moment and maybe ask parents what will help. (If someone says not rezone, I am not touching that with a ten foot pole right now; someone else might need to...)

4. Each family handles change differently, and what works for some doesn't necessarily work for another. We don't always get to choose, but the school district should step back and let the families choose.

Flame away!

Edit-can't type
I agree Oogway, seems like this thing has spiraled out of control. I just cannot understand how the school board could be so cruel to these kids. We have almost 4,000 high school students and they cannot allow only 58 of them the opportunity to go to the schools they have already registered for and tried out for band, etc for??? How is this about the kids? My understanding is the reason they did not rezone earlier in the school year when they had the data, was to be sure everyone got elected that they wanted. I understand they have used the angle of saving tax payers money by this rezoning, but I do not get how where these 58 kids go to school saves the taxpayers a dime? More than that, I certainly don't see any way this could possibly be helping these kids? I think this is all new low for our school district. I'm truly ashamed of this.
GIG 'EM
CS78
I just hope everyone remembers this come November. And the next November. And the next.
Wicked Good Ag
MTTANK said:

Wicked Good, not sure if your response was to me earlier, but I meant no disrespect to you. You have made very valid points and we are all in this together. As far as threats, I did see this on KBTX FB page and know who it was. Poor choice on their part, and does nothing but help frame everyone that is upset as unrealistic. I think it helps to Humanize the school board members as well, and take the earned heat they are getting off them. I also saw claims from poor parents that attend consol that are being bussed to cshs taken off the site. I have screen shots and proof of this. Not sure whats going on, but can understand kbtx CTHOA.

If a threat was made I hope the police get involved. While I don't agree with some of the decisions made by the board I cannot think that threats of violence should be just let go.
I hope to be able to find the reasons for not grandfathering in the 8th grade soon maybe off the record. That said without any knowledge whatsoever maybe they decided that current high school was the cutoff or else do you let 7th graders grandfather in to avoid wellborn MS if they so choose. Slippery slope at where you stop the cutoff. I would have thought this late into the game grandfathering the 8th grade would have been the wise choice
Oogway
Regarding the timeline and the election, perhaps I am naive in that. I vote, and I voted in the election, but I do have the cynical optimism that hopes that those I vote for will do their best to represent not just my view, but others as well. I didn't agree with you on the north/south option, but I did agree or at least changed my perspective that proximity, walkability and consideration for the families whose children would be immediately affected (8th grandfathering) needed to be given greater emphasis than it was and that if they could not do that, then it would still be better served to both families and taxpayers (who may or may not have children) to just wait on the whole thing. I know there were people who were quite emphatic that the undercapacity at Consol needed to be addressed, but being a Consol zoned family, and having CSHS friends due to rezoning, I have never heard one complain or worry about crowding or having to attend classes in portables. Would that change as the campus grew in numbers? Probably, but I think CSHS parents are smart enough to know that it wouldn't be crowded forever if that is what they chose.

I sincerely hope that any election for school board wouldn't descend into a seesaw of opposing factions every time someone's term came up. I try and practice due diligence and read and learn about candidates. I want officials who take the time to get to know the constituents who didn't vote for them; that is how you learn to serve others before yourself.
CS78
Some info on running for a school board position in Texas.

https://www.tasb.org/Services/Leadership-Team-Services/Resources/For-Board-Candidates.aspx

https://www.tasb.org/Services/Legal-Services/TASB-School-Law-eSource/Governance/Elections.aspx

https://www.tasb.org/Services/Legal-Services/TASB-School-Law-eSource/Governance/documents/running_for_sch_bd_feb16.aspx

https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/main/SchoolBoardCandidateGuide.pdf

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.