Grandfathering incoming freshmen (current 8th graders) at both CSISD high schools

50,256 Views | 338 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieMom_38
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Oogway said:

I don't see why you couldn't. It is being held in the Board room according to the agenda, like all the other workshops and it doesn't say anything about being an 'Executive session,' so while they don't have a place for the public to speak like they do at regular meetings or public forums, the public ought to be able to observe from the audience. You can always contact them to be sure.
Exactly.
AggieMom_38
I have been told that you can - just no opportunity for community/audience comments
befitter
AggieMom_38 said:

Harris' comment sounds like this is to just clarify for everyone fighting for these kids that we won't change our mind (decision is "final"), we don't care how the community feels, and we will make that very clear to you at this workshop. Also sounds like we will clarify for the parents who aren't following along what our intentions are with your kids - that these scheduled events will solve all your problems.

This is a joke. I'm so angry that someone like this (and the majority of the board and superintendent) have any say in kids' education and well-being.
Ok Wow. They are meeting to discuss all of this and this is a joke?
TellMeMore
OK, so who's in for the School Board race? You stand on the sidelines and throw rocks, use abusive language and talk in church about the people who stood up to do what they thought was right. So, go ahead, take a swing, give it a go. You act like these men and women plot at night to ruin the life of your children. At the end of the day, they are your neighbors, maybe you do business with them, maybe they actually make your life better in some way when they are not sitting around a table trying the steer a fast moving district. They didn't have to do this, they might not have known what they were getting into. I have lived here awhile and the words you use against people who are willing to stand and serve is a disgrace. I ask you to place your anger elsewhere.
Stupe
S
I've been reading and posting both of these threads since they started and except for a few instances where staff edited and banned posters nobody has been abusive. The same thing at church, 4H, Little League or any other function where it's being discussed. Disagreeing is not the same thing as being disrespectful or abusive, it's just disagreeing.
If you aren't mature enough to understand that, maybe you shouldn't join the discussion. If they can't understand that, maybe they shouldn't be in that position.

As emotional as this subject is, I'm actually impressed with the way that people have been responding to each other on these threads and in person.

Yes, there has been some things said that shouldn't have been said on here, social media, and in person but that has been the exception and not the rule. Most people either ignore those comments or call people out when they make them.
That includes when people give little lectures like your post.

The bottom line is that even though a lot of people are angry about the results, they are more angry about the process that was used and that includes people like myself that weren't even directly effected.

Maybe you ought to go back and read these threads again before you go finger wagging at the rest of us.
csnole
Blue Star for you!!!
So no one is stepping up and running for school board? Anyone? We will get to go through this whole rezoning process again (soon) and it would be nice to have those who are most vocal about this process being jacked up, get in there and show us how it is done. I've already done 2 rezoning committees and thought it was a good idea to see the school board scrap the committee process as it was so brutal. If you have not seen the sausage made for hours and hours and hours, then I don't think you really comprehend the difficulty of the process. Step up and be a sausage maker.
MTTANK
AG
I don't really accept all the difficult process noise. I know people who served on committees as well, and they said the school board was underhanded with them and just wanted them to give the answer they were looking for. When the board could not get what they wanted, they got rid of the committees and "streamlined" the process. The only thing thats made it difficult is the weight they place on comparability, which is self inflicted. When you volunteer to be a school board member, it becomes your duty to put in the hard work. I can promise you many of the outspoken people on this forum are considering running for the school board. I can also promise you that most of these outspoken folks are willing to put their money where their mouth is in backing the right people. Appreciate you inviting everyone that disagrees with board to run for school board though, seems like a logical argument.
GIG 'EM
I hope that many people step up to run for school board. I would like to see at least 2 people run for every open position so that the public has a choice.

School board member is a volunteer position with a ton of long hours and hard work. Rezoning is a very small part of the hard work. There are many difficult decisions to be made---especially in a district that is growing so fast. I hope that some people get fired up and run for office. I think that if you do and you win a spot on the school board, you will find that the board members that you join are kind, decent people with good intentions. I think that you will find Dr. Ealy to be an exceptional individual who cares deeply for the kids in CSISD.
MTTANK
AG
I'm sure they are pretty nice to each other from what I've seen and heard. I have no doubt if I was on the board they would treat me the same way. I am guilty of not paying enough attention to this stuff, and assuming we had people doing their job and taking care of our kids. I am far from convinced after becoming more involved and spending some time doing some research on these folks. This is a group of folks that for the most part have been put together as a unified sovereignty. As far as Clark Ealy goes, I do not know what kind of person he is. I know he serves the board, and has not fought for the kids in all this. The general public has lost confidence in our school board and superintendent. I do hope your optimism is warranted, and that we see Ealy and the board step up and do whats right for these 8th graders. But my understanding is they plan on doing no such thing. This meeting is likely another dog and pony show that keeps the 8th graders not grandfathered.
GIG 'EM
ChiefHaus
1.618 said:

So no one is stepping up and running for school board? Anyone? We will get to go through this whole rezoning process again (soon) and it would be nice to have those who are most vocal about this process being jacked up, get in there and show us how it is done. I've already done 2 rezoning committees and thought it was a good idea to see the school board scrap the committee process as it was so brutal. If you have not seen the sausage made for hours and hours and hours, then I don't think you really comprehend the difficulty of the process. Step up and be a sausage maker.
Are you speaking of high schools or other school grades?
Wicked Good Ag
MTTANK said:

I don't really accept all the difficult process noise. I know people who served on committees as well, and they said the school board was underhanded with them and just wanted them to give the answer they were looking for. When the board could not get what they wanted, they got rid of the committees and "streamlined" the process. The only thing thats made it difficult is the weight they place on comparability, which is self inflicted. When you volunteer to be a school board member, it becomes your duty to put in the hard work. I can promise you many of the outspoken people on this forum are considering running for the school board. I can also promise you that most of these outspoken folks are willing to put their money where their mouth is in backing the right people. Appreciate you inviting everyone that disagrees with board to run for school board though, seems like a logical argument.

While I agree with your points most of the time the first part of your statement about the committee was completely incorrect. I have talked to school board members and committee members from previous rezoning. The reason they didn't do it was because they didn't want to have volunteers take the heat they did last time via social media. Among others reason. Acting as a puppet is a disservice to all that worked dilgenently the first time
MTTANK
AG
Hey Wicked Good, thanks for your response. I was not on a committee, so I appreciate you filling in the blanks for me. I Have heard from about 5 people that did serve on committees and their response was it was rigged and the school board was looking for the answer they wanted. One in particular was talking about a non high school related committee she served on. I think it was about middle schools or elementary, and she said they would not explain in greater context what the plans were with high school. She was very angry that they were so underhanded, and said with the zoning they were trying to do now it made sense why they were being so forceful and candid. Its good to hear the other side, I really am trying to get a better understanding of how we have managed to get ourselves in such a bad position.
GIG 'EM
Carnwellag2
TellMeMore said:

OK, so who's in for the School Board race? You stand on the sidelines and throw rocks, use abusive language and talk in church about the people who stood up to do what they thought was right. So, go ahead, take a swing, give it a go. You act like these men and women plot at night to ruin the life of your children. At the end of the day, they are your neighbors, maybe you do business with them, maybe they actually make your life better in some way when they are not sitting around a table trying the steer a fast moving district. They didn't have to do this, they might not have known what they were getting into. I have lived here awhile and the words you use against people who are willing to stand and serve is a disgrace. I ask you to place your anger elsewhere.
blue star!
gibby03
AG
TellMeMore said:

Yep.
MTTANK
AG
Everyone appreciates you giving them a fair chance to run for the school board. This thread is supposed to be about grandfathering students. Not the next school board election. I have already said that many are looking into running, and even more are going to put their money where their mouth is. The community is outraged by the abuse of power and underhanded tactics used by the school board. We will find out soon enough what kind of people are on our board. Lets see if they vote against grandfathering these students a second time. I am pretty sure they have no plans of doing whats right for these kids.
GIG 'EM
ChiefHaus
It is a tactic used to try and keep people from voicing opinions, and a poor one at that. Run for the school board or sit down and be quiet. The job is hard, so don't complain about those who are doing it unless you want to do the job in their place.
The board and administration have a difficult task, I get it. However, they took the position and everything that goes with it. I don't endorse personal attacks, but any job worth having comes with criticism which should be expected.
Stating that if one has an opinion that differs from a board member or administrator should obligate one to run for their position is simplistic and adds nothing to the discussion in this thread.
AggieMom_38
ChiefHaus said:

It is a tactic used to try and keep people from voicing opinions, and a poor one at that. Run for the school board or sit down and be quiet. The job is hard, so don't complain about those who are doing it unless you want to do the job in their place.
The board and administration have a difficult task, I get it. However, they took the position and everything that goes with it. I don't endorse personal attacks, but any job worth having comes with criticism which should be expected.
Stating that if one has an opinion that differs from a board member or administrator should obligate one to run for their position is simplistic and adds nothing to the discussion in this thread.
Was about to post the exact same sentiment - thank you! What others are saying is that you have no right to voice concerns unless you are willing to/are running for their position. Wow! Think about that.

I'll go ahead and keep voicing my concerns about what I see as poor decisions, particularly as they affect children. And I don't feel any obligation to run for school board, although I will fully encourage and support others that I believe will serve the children and community more effectively than status quo.

People can similarly voice their concerns when they disagree with my decisions and behavior when it involves by job, duties, and responsibilities.
shoulder tap
Quote:

The community is outraged by the abuse of power and underhanded tactics used by the school board.

I think the community you are speaking of just might be the neighbors in your subdivision. I think the community as a WHOLE is mostly split on this. There are a whole lot of people out there that appreciate and support the School Board and the hard decision that was made.
MTTANK
AG
shoulder tap said:

Quote:

The community is outraged by the abuse of power and underhanded tactics used by the school board.

I think the community you are speaking of just might be the neighbors in your subdivision. I think the community as a WHOLE is mostly split on this. There are a whole lot of people out there that appreciate and support the School Board and the hard decision that was made.
Hey shoulder tap, good to see you pitching in on the conversation. For only being your 2nd day and 2nd post on texags, you seem to have formed a strong opinion in favor of the board. It is your right to have your opinion, and we all appreciate you sharing it. To clear things up on my end, I am not talking about people only in my neighborhood. I am talking about people at work, church, my childs school, fatefor58's facebook page, parents of 8th graders, friends, news reporters, my customers, in the grocery store lines, at restaurants, during the parade of homes, at tee ball games, at the car dealership, amongst local realtors, at the movie theater(new marvel movie), at the charter school meetings.... Obviously theres more but wanted to give you some ideas of where I hear about this issue. I did meet my daughter at the bus stop in my neighborhood and was stopped by someone I have never met. The second thing that came out of their mouth after introducing themselves was "Have you heard about what the school board is doing". So I guess you are partially right about my neighborhood. As far as the community being split, I have not heard a single real life person say they support what the school board has done to these 8th grade students. I would say its pretty united on this front out in the general public.
GIG 'EM
Stupe
S
shoulder tap said:

Quote:

I don't think that you are incorrect, I know that you are incorrect.

I interact with people from all over the area and this subject is being discussed a lot of people in both school districts. I wasn't affected by the rezoning and I don't like the way that it was done. I don't appreciate the fact that they rushed this through with only one public hearing. I don't like that they had that public hearing on the Monday of a four day weekend that was a heavy travel weekend due to Easter. I don't like that fact that they had almost zero communication about grandfather the 8th graders or other siblings. I don't like the fact that they put up new maps, didn't have a hearing, then voted on a new map. It's not just the people that were affected that are irritated.
I have friends and coworkers that live in Bryan, Navasota, and Iola making comments about how this was handled.

That is not "neighbors in your subdivision". Not at all.

If the school board thinks that the community "as a WHOLE" is satisfied with how they have handeled this, they are clueless.
ChiefHaus
shoulder tap said:

Quote:

I disagree. The community is split on the way rezoning was done, true. This forum is on grandfathering and this is the only thing that has the community united. I see people who were both for and against the rezoning decision: agreeing that the 8th graders need to be grandfathered.
91_Aggie
AG
ChiefHaus said:

Stating that if one has an opinion that differs from a board member or administrator should obligate one to run for their position is simplistic and adds nothing to thpe discussion in this thread.

So if one has strong opinions on how Congress and the President are doing, they can't voice those opinions unless they are willing to run for Congress or the presidency?

Makes perfect sense.
Wicked Good Ag
Grandfathering likely should have been done simply because of the timing. If the decision and new rezoning had happened in say December I would have had much less of an issue.

For those that think this is something they have been plotting for years to ruin kids lives I just don't understand how you think a school board whose makeup was completely different years ago did this

Could have rezoning been better the first time? Probably do but decisions are made based upon the current demographics and potential future growth. I don't think the future growth was expected the way it happened and at the rate it happened. I have said all along the most difficult thing is splitting two high schools from one. As you grow proximity will be the most important factor. Look at Cy Fair and Katy as examples of rapid growth. But there are too many things when going from one to two HS.
That said once kids made schedules and tours of new schools etc they should have been able to go to that school and begin the new rezoning with the next class of kids.
I hope whatever happens the personal attacks about the school board members would cease.
ChiefHaus
Wicked Good Ag said:

Could have rezoning been better the first time? Probably do but decisions are made based upon the current demographics and potential future growth. I don't think the future growth was expected the way it happened and at the rate it happened. I have said all along the most difficult thing is splitting two high schools from one. As you grow proximity will be the most important factor.
This is the issue I have. The board is using the same company for growth projections and not asking why the numbers they had in 2010 and 2016 are so far off base. We have the same people on the board from 2016 minus 1, the same administrators, and the same company supplying the projections from 2016. All of this from 2016 said, "We will not have to rezone until 2023." Instead of taking a step back and trying to figure out what went wrong and how to not make the same mistakes again, they did the following;
1. Rushed a plan through at the end of the school year.
2. Took minimal feedback from the community.
3. Barely debated moving 8th graders although they were 5 months out from starting the new year.
4. Planned on moving the 8th graders after they spent 1 year at their old high school.
5. No plan on having busses available if a kid in 8th grade wants to attend just one high school even though they now live on the other side of town. (easily the most ridiculous idea, but hey it saves $)
6. Never discussed grandfathering siblings.

You may sit on either side of the fence when it comes to any of the issues above. Bottom line (and I have no idea why anyone would argue this point), 2016 rezoning was a complete failure. Now we have the same players as 2 years ago and the same information source and we are told it will be different this time??? However, they didn't bother checking why it failed last time. Was it all the committee's fault?
It seems to me that either the board and administrators are in over their heads or they have an agenda. For the record, I don't think they are incompetent. I really don't have a huge problem with their agenda as long as they are correct and we don't rezone until the third HS opens. I dont't agree with it, but I will let time prove them wrong or right.

They can get what they want and save face with the community if they revisit the grandfathering issue in regards to 8th graders and siblings to current high schoolers only. GIve the community those two concessions, close the book on this rezoning, and pray that your projections for growth don't cause the whole plan to collapse in 24 months.
EVA3
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

For those that think this is something they have been plotting for years to ruin kids lives I just don't understand how you think a school board whose makeup was completely different years ago did this

That's how long it took to change the makeup of the board. And they didn't do it to ruin kids' lives (for the most part). They just don't care how it affects our kids.
Oogway
Quote:

"...the numbers they had in 2010 and 2016 are so far off base...."

Some of the 2010 numbers may have been skewed in terms of subdivision growth due to the earlier economic downturn. A&M, which is the driver in a lot of the employment here, was running lean and mean. And then enrollment happened. As in 10,000 plus freshman class years becoming the norm. And as students couldn't get into A&M (or struggled with GPA), Blinn grew by something like 6,000 students too. This growth is mirrored in the school district and even if a demographer tries to account for that, I don't think A&M necessarily announces their plans with a whole lot of warning. (RELLIS will add to this growth, too).

That is overall growth, however, and capacity issues have been building since the initial 2010 zoning. The original split. It did not include enough new or nonexistent development in its assignment. But they (committees) don't have a crystal ball and they must include whatever parameters they are assigned.

Back to grandfathering, though. I guess we will find out soon how it goes. I don't have a crystal ball either, but I hope they just let the 8th graders go wherever they want and move forward from there.

As far as serving the District and voicing opinions. I have served on 4+ District-wide committees in addition to campus volunteering and have no issue with someone who has never volunteered offering criticism. Like a lot of things, it can be illuminating to serve in a variety of areas. If anything, you discover that, like a lot of fields, it looks easier until you begin to understand the domino effect of certain decisions. But citizens have the right to speak up and let their thoughts and opinions be known. Feedback is better if it is constructive, but sometimes folks just need to vent, too.

Peace y'all.
DevilDog99
Actually they are not my neighbors, in fact they are more than likely not neighbors of anyone on this thread. Why? Because the Board members strangely all live in areas that were not affected by the new rezoning. You are right they "didn't have to do this", but some of the Board members have vested interests in their neighborhoods and rezoning for them would have negatively impacted their financial situation.
missB
I'm guessing most of you would be shocked to find out many in this community actually support the Board's decision.
gibby03
AG
Samantha Baker said:

I'm guessing most of you would be shocked to find out many in this community actually support the Board's decision.
By my rough count there are about 35 unique individuals on this thread that have posted in regards to to this topic and about 10 that are the main talkers with the other 20 or so being outliers. So, you're definitely right, this is an EXTREMELY small sample size. I am no mathematician but I bet if you extrapolated the yay's and nay's on this thread out to the population of College Station, you would have just as many "they are destroying our kids lives" vs "good this needs to happen and my kid will be ok" type responses.

Translation: you disagree or agree, good, but we don't always get what we want at the end of the day.

None the less, it's been interesting watching the back and forth between all of you. At times, some of it has been very cringeworthy to say the least, from both sides.
thatguy2
When a decision doesn't go the way you want it... those dogs bark the loudest!!! Usually the others are quiet because it went their way. A&M Consolidated is a very good school!!! Compare the Stats!!!

Weak hands would be pushed into submission, I hope that is not our board.

Same situation will happen with the seventh graders next year.

I think they made a bad decision to allow 8th graders to go to CSHS for one year, but they should honor that.
ChiefHaus
As per usual, I agree.
ChiefHaus
I don't believe anyone will be shocked that half the district is for the plan. I bet close almost the entire district is for the plan, with the exception being the neighborhoods forced to move.
The interesting thing is how many people are against the way the 8th-grade transition is being handled. You see a ton of pushback from parents in all neighborhoods when it comes to not grandfathering the current 8th graders.
scs01
Samantha Baker said:

Most posters on this board seem to fallen into two camps. One camp is against the board's decision on grandfathering and has been explaining why. The other camp consists of people who are mainly defending the board (good people who mean well, etc.), but I haven't seen that many arguments actually defending the grandfathering decision on its own merits.

So, why do you think not grandfathering was the right thing to do in this particular instance, beyond just trusting the board to do the right thing? Not trying to be a jerk, just following up on what I've seen here. For the record, I thought the administration's grandfathering plan sounded pretty reasonable when I first heard it. Then I listened to the board discuss the issue and concluded first, that while not fatal to the current eighth graders (maybe a bit of a "first world problem") it really wasn't fair to them due to the timing, and secondly, there really wasn't that much to be gained for the district as a whole by not grandfathering them. So, what's the big advantage to the rest of the district in not grandfathering, and how does it outweigh the disadvantage to the affected 8th graders?
ChiefHaus
scs01, I think the answer to your questions comes in tomorrow's meeting. Either they relent and grandfather or they state the reasons why they are not going to change their mind. WIll be interesting to watch.
I do agree though, I have not heard a reason to not grandfather the current 8th graders.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.