Grandfathering incoming freshmen (current 8th graders) at both CSISD high schools

50,551 Views | 338 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieMom_38
missB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MTTANK said:

Samantha Baker said:

First off, I don't recall saying what my position was. I simply said I'm hearing chatter around town that there are many in favor of the Board and the decisions made. It is my opinion after reading comments on TexAgs and scanning other social media, it is the same few people that seem to be in an uproar because their child is being rezoned.
Its not just a handful of people that are for grandfathering these students. I have been very passionate about grandfathering these kids, and I do not have an 8th grade kid or any kids even affected by the HS rezoning. I have not met a single real life person thats against it, actually. To clear things up, instead of scanning social media listen to the school board workshps. They said they got hundreds of emails from both sides of the rezoning issue all saying they were for the grandfathering. They then said they only had one single email from someone against grandfathering incoming freshman, and that one email was referring to the bands booster club at consol needing money from these incoming freshman's parents. Then they voted against grandfathering these incoming freshman anyway, despite the unanimous outcry from the public.

Sorry for not clarifying that I actually talk to people as well as observing social media. I stand by my comments that there are many in this community that agreed with NOT grandfathering.
gibby03
AG
Stupe said:

gibby03 said:

I'll bow out now because honestly, my post will be deleted by morning time. That's just what happens on here when I say something but hopefully enough people read my post above before it's deleted. I just wanted to say how someone outside of it sees the situation and what's been going on here on this thread.
Good grief. There are a bunch of differentiating opinion on this thread and staff left them up just like they have on the other rezoning thread.
It is difficult to take an adult seriously when they play that card too often.

I've had posts on either this thread or the other about rezoning deleted....I'm not sure which one... and it wasn't because of my opinion, it was because me and another poster started getting too personal toward each other the entire exchange got deleted.
You don't see...or read...me whining about it.

Give your "woe is me" attitude a rest and it would be a lot easier to take you seriously.

Quote:

Some of y'all need to go back and read this entire thread with a blind eye from your own bias.
Take your own advice and see if there are only posts from one side on either thread.
I won't give you the satisfaction of doing that same exact thing again. I'll just stick to the fact that my original post is one of the most starred posts on this thread because there are plenty of people that agree with my sentiments. I'll focus on that and my opinions instead of the "attack" you just instigated. Have a good one sir/madam.
Stupe
S
I'm not attacking you and you completely missed my point.

My point is that there are a bunch of posts by people with opinions on both sides of this issue and staff is leaving them up.
Contrary to what you keep feeling the need to post, they aren't zapping posts just because a poster is giving an opinion on one side or the other.

MTTANK
AG
[img][URL=/gif/varsity-blues-7-9-movie-clip-coach-kilmers-final-game-1999-hd-jwKkPx][/URL][/img]

The school board president Jeff Harris has found a replacement for Carol Barret's seat on the board next year. This will assure our students continue to be put first in all decisions made.....
GIG 'EM
Turf96
As you can see this is my first ever post. I visit this site daily and enjoy it. I also don't believe I need to chime in on every opinion I have. Not all the world would hold me as an authority.

I have watched this post go on for a while as I have an incoming freshman involved in this circus. Until now I have reserved my opinion to myself on here. I don't like taking sides much as I feel it hurts and fractures.

My issue wasn't about rezoning and change. My issue is about timing. The timing even admitted by a board member yesterday is terrible. The school had these kids on tracks and not allowed to attend other schools camps. These kids knew where they were headed for some time now. As we all know they had attended their high schools and signed up for tracks and had made teams. Then find out no you need to move soon.

As parents we find what is the best fit for each of our children. That is what we do. We are not against one school or for another. I don't appreciate that a few have painted me with a label and have never asked me about my views on either school.

Our child is good at one event at school. Quite good in fact supported by their placing in the district meets the last two years. They make great grades and are members of NJHS and FCA. Once school Is taken care of I feel extracurricular activities are the next logical step. If we looked at academics the 2 schools are very even. When we look at our EC activity it isn't even remotely close in my eyes. The whole reason we chose 1 zone over another in the first place. This has even been seconded by one of the current board members. They actually agreed that in my shoes they would want to stay put, not because the new zoned school isn't good but because our current school is great. Please put yourself in my shoes. Wouldn't you want to stay put if you could? This isn't looking down at the other school as so many accuse me of doing by asking to stay.

Given a couple of years to change paths gives somebody time to sell move or plan. Given a couple of months is a bit much to ask. Again that is my opinion and support you may not feel the same.

I have argued with dignity. Ask any board member and I feel they would share the same view. One that is most against my side reached out to say I hear you and thanks for the tone. I have not thrown rocks at any school or students in this. I strongly,and cant say that enough, disagree with the board on this matter. Yes I have a dog in the hunt. I still feel and would feel it is wrong on timing if I didn't have anyone close involved. Had it been a larger number(300) that made a huge impact you may change my views. At net 58 or less it is a terrible move in my eyes. The way the board handled it yesterday was a travesty in my mind. It was like being talked down to. Having a board member let kids know they are just a number is pretty saddening to me. Not trying to disrespect any of the board. Just pointing out my view and takes on it. Prettt hard to take in all honesty. I know they felt cornered but it was very hard to set through and I knew results before i entered.

All this being said the one thing that makes my blood boil is the side that continues to attach these kids on here and in public. I'm disappointed at the board but still maintain my original stance with them of dignity. They have an elected right to do it even if i don't agree. I am asking you for consideration and maintaining respect from you guys. Please answer me why people outside the board care so much? What does it matter to you that these kids get a pass or not? It has already been said they won't cause a major shift in numbers or finances. They are already moving portables that they own. Why all the nasty emails to the board about holding strong and making them pay? So you want the board to keep the same choice no matter if right or wrong? Who wins this either way? How do you feel a victory was won yesterday? These are 14 year old kids. Nobody in my family said our kid would not be ok. Nobody said they are fragile. You bring on that narrative and place it on me. All we said is these kids are at critical points in their lives and deserve a chance to stay on the track the board had set out for them. If you disagree fine but I feel it will show a lot of your motive.

To the other side please quit saying some students in this district are burdens. Please stop saying that the south school should share the burden. Please stop playing dirty and then placing the blame on the others. Please stop making this a one side versus another because you are bitter. What ever happened in this community to make you so bitter you resent 14 year old kids and their parents for standing up for them? Just what did you win with this? I like trophies. I still don't see yours you like to puff your chest out about from yesterday. To the little lady in the back and the bald headed maroon shirt man no shame on you. To stand up and applaud the board and point your finger at kids as state emphatically "shame on each and every one of you". No mam and sir shame on you. This didn't involve you. I believe if you found any board member today or parent and asked who won they would all tell you nobody wins in all of this. If they don't parent, child, or board member then they don't grasp this situation.

I respect your right to an opinion. Please think about why it matters so much to you. I only have issue with two people at this time. Don't point at me for doing what any father should do. Work hard for what is best for my child.

Sorry so long but I have a lot to say and only get a few posts.

TLDNR

Why do you care so much if you don't have a kid impacted by this issue? What is it that has you so bitter in life that you can't let a parent strive to get the best for their chikd? What does 58 plus or minus kids have to do with you? If you came to board meeting yesterday to attach 14 year old kids and are an adult please find a hobby sooner rather than later.
Leonidas
AG
This whole "the kids will be fine" and "it's just preparing them for life" argument is simplistic and not very logical. Of course the kids will be fine. Broken bones heal, but nobody goes out and intentionally breaks their arm just for the purpose of the bones growing back stronger. If we all walked into our jobs tomorrow and were terminated, would we be fine? Of course we would but I hardly think anyone would volunteer for the exercise. If so many people agree with the board I can only assume they don't care enough to show up at the meetings because those who have spoken up favorably for the board have been in the extreme minority. Bottom line is most people in the community do not agree with gerrymandered zoning. Most people just want to attend the school closest to their homes because it makes their life easier. The frustration and anger comes when the board clearly doesn't listen to the community and instead imposes their agenda on everyone. I think on Monday morning on the way to work I will take a loop around town just for the heck of it; before I return to my office which is just down the street.....I wouldn't want anyone accusing me of building a fence around myself......
Ratsa
Turf96, I wish you had chimed in earlier in the rezoning and grandfathering conversations. I value conversations about facts and ideas, and understand that not everyone will agree, which is ok. Some (certainly not all) on this thread and the rezoning thread were so upset with things that it seemed that all they could do was point fingers and and say awful things about people that disagreed with them. When people do that, I have a hard time taking them seriously, and then I miss out on understanding things from their perspective. Thanks for saying things in a way that expresses your opinions without trying to divide this community!
MTTANK
AG
So the school board voted against grandfathering, but said in their meeting that there were cases that deserved an exception. They made it seem like the parents should not have fought this grandfathering, and that they should have just trusted them and gone through the proper channels to get exceptions. This morning the superintendent Clark Ealy has notified parents there will be NO EXCEPTIONS. I cannot understand how our school board and administration can continue to lie to parents and get away with it. Just when I thought they could not get any lower.
GIG 'EM
Carnwellag2
Just because the decision didn't go your way- doesn't mean it was a scripted dog and pony show.
gettingitdone
MTTANK

the trustees said that there were some that deserved an exception, but did they say there were some that were going to be granted an exception? Maybe the trustee mispoke and the super is just making a clarification.
Stupe
S
You saying that doesn't mean that it wasn't.
Turf96
I think your post says it all. I have looked and you seem to take middle ground on this issue. Thanks for acknowledging they got it wrong in a prior post.

You ask if they said some should get exemptions? Yes it was said in the meeting that they would look at some. You ask did they say they would give them? Not sure as I can't remember every statement but could go back and look. My point of the reply is at this point it seems as the board or school fights against gettting things right. If they said their should be some then why would there not be? Are we now a society of not worrying about getting things right anymore? Should we expect kids to make better and better grades yet allow government to slide by if they get 70 %?

As a rookie I only get a few posts so I apologize on this next part as it is to all. Why has not one reason been given to any post as to why the board got this right? Samantha Baker and others seems to have a reason and passion. Not mad about it just trying to understand what all the support is about. I have given lengthy reasons why I fought for my kid. Why can you not give me one reason why you feel they got it right?

I guess society has changed. My kid knocks out my neighbors window with their baseball. The kids got it wrong. Good to know i won't need to replace it, as it is what would be right, but not what I need to do anymore.

Excuse me as I get off the wheel as I'm getting dizzy from all this spinning. Right is right. Wrong is wrong. Right is not acknowledging it was wrong but refusing to make it right.

Time to get something right in all of this. Batting .050 is better than 0 for anyday.
gibby03
AG
Turf, first of all let me say that I completely understand where you are coming from and as a parent of your kid in your situation, I can see why you are having the reaction you are.

Here's my 2 cents from an outside observer, take it or leave it.

In terms of the "board got it right". I don't think they did in terms of the timing that they chose to do this in. However, I do think they got it right in that they have made a decision and they are sticking to it. CSISD did the cardinal sin that BISD did when they opened up their second high school all those years ago. BISD allowed grandfathering then and didn't draw a line in the sand. Then, years later, they kept having these special "situations" that allowed this family or that family to have the exception to grandfathering. It kept going and it is still going today, although not near as rampant. Because CSISD did it when they opened up CSHS, they are now in a position that they can't tell someone no if they have a "special situation". Could it have helped to do it earlier? Yes, I agree with that. But they didn't and now they are having to deal with those consequences of the negative backlash the community is putting on them and the district.

There is a story years ago when Rockwall ISD opened up Rockwall Heath HS and the Super and Board there were as hard as hard could be. If you live on one side of I30 you go here, and if you live on the other side of I30 you go here. End of story, end of discussion. There was no grandfathering, there was no "special circumstances". It can be done, but it wasn't done in CSISD or BISD in their situations.

I have read on here that "it's only a select few of 58 that won't affect the numbers next year" and that may all well be true. But, here's where I think it begins to matter. In a few years when they open up the 3rd high school, because you know it's going to happen sooner than later, they now have a precedent that they have set that says, no more grandfathering. They have essentially ripped the band aid off and it hurts, it hurts you and it hurts others but it MAY be a necessary step for down the road decisions, which is bigger than the "58" involved in this right now. Again, I readily admit it could have been handled differently, but handling it differently and "caving in" now are two different things in my opinion.

I have ZERO insight into the inner workings of the CSISD board, but this is the logical reason I see of why they may be doing it this way. Doesn't make it right, doesn't make it fair but it's a decision that has been made and I think you probably understand that people who make decisions and stick with them carry more weight than those who flip flop every chance they get. We aren't going to make a trade deal with another country and then flip flop every time they don't like part of the compromise.

gettingitdone
The trustees got it 100% wrong!!!! The fact that they can't offer solid reasons for their decision leads me to believe that their mentality is : "this is how we voted and nothing is going to change our minds" In doing so, they have to admit wrong doing and they aren't willing to do that. On another note, the original five that voted to not grandfather the incoming freshman, did they vote the same way the second time around? Just wondering if any of the trustees had a change heart and voted differently.
Wicked Good Ag
MTTANK said:

So the school board voted against grandfathering, but said in their meeting that there were cases that deserved an exception. They made it seem like the parents should not have fought this grandfathering, and that they should have just trusted them and gone through the proper channels to get exceptions. This morning the superintendent Clark Ealy has notified parents there will be NO EXCEPTIONS. I cannot understand how our school board and administration can continue to lie to parents and get away with it. Just when I thought they could not get any lower.

Did they lie because a few have already been allowed to stay??
I am honestly asking because I have been out of town for a few days
Leonidas
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

Just because the decision didn't go your way- doesn't mean it was a scripted dog and pony show.

Pulling this three and a half months before school starts doesnt qualify as a dog and pony show? You are right, this is leadership with vision executing a plan with precision.....
Agmaker
Your right. Your two cents is worth two cents. If you think it more admirable to stick with a bad decision or incorrect decision versus admitting error and that one is human and sometimes we get it wrong. (misinterpreted our own data). If that is your position then please oh please I hope you're not a teacher.
First of all, you're incorrect. They did grandfather, but the freshman class is not allowed to grandfather. That is wrong. Part of the problem is that the general public and those not effected don't understand what this issue is. The radio 1620 spoke about again this morning and they got it wrong once again. Contributing to the problem.
AggieMom_38
One thing has been clear throughout this, the media has been completely confused and/or misinformed (1620 being the worst!). Maybe they don't care or maybe they are a simply megaphone for CSISD, but the only "media" that seems to understand the issue accurately (that this is about the timing and grandfathering of incoming Freshman after already registering, tryouts, etc.) and not spinning this as either about rezoning or about kids not wanting to go to AMCHS was KNDE 95.1. Thank you 95.1 for at least following along and not being clueless about the issues involved.
thatguy2
District employees will probably be given the right to chose schools. This has ALWAYS been the case, before the redistricting. Its also done in almost every district.

I think at this point we can let it go, the board has made the decision, and it seems the Supt. is also supporting the decision.

I do feel bad for those that have to travel, but there has to be a beginning, a start point.

We need to get to the acceptance phase and get ready for a new adventure. Again, both great schools academically and athletically.

Leonidas
AG
thatguy2 said:

District employees will probably be given the right to chose schools. This has ALWAYS been the case, before the redistricting. Its also done in almost every district.

I think at this point we can let it go, the board has made the decision, and it seems the Supt. is also supporting the decision.

I do feel bad for those that have to travel, but there has to be a beginning, a start point.

We need to get to the acceptance phase and get ready for a new adventure. Again, both great schools academically and athletically.

Thanks for giving everyone permission to move on. I am sure people were waiting for just such a proclamation. The Super supported this, are you kidding me? Where do you think this stuff comes from. Spend some time on his twitter feed for true enlightenment.
threecatcorner
No exceptions? That is even more ridiculous than making and sticking to this stupid decision in the first place.
Vulcan
How was the "no exceptions" news delivered? By conversation with super or were the families notified or ???
Tigermom84
AG
Let's just come up with a list of terrible decisions by this board because I'm starting to lose track:

1) built a bright shiny high school that's 2 miles away from the old high school. Genius.
2) irritated PC and east side by not zoning them to the bright shiny new high school. Oops.
3) failed to predict that CS would grow south rapidly (really?)
4) hired demographers and paid them a TON of money SEVERAL TIMES to generate data that ALSO didn't imagine that CS would grow south
5) DIDN'T FINISH BUILDING the bright shiny high school and now it's is too full, gotta rezone obviously
6) botched 2016 rezone by failing to use accurate data from the inept demographers, and Jochen and Wesson meddled in the process WAY too much, leading a committee of 30 volunteers on a goose chase with an ineffective conclusion
7) continue to allow exceptions and transfers to CSHS, further adding to capacity issues
8) create FC Local, a horrible, flawed piece of policy that, hmmm, gives MORE power to this group to "fix" the problems that they created. Allows rezoning EVERY YEAR if "triggered". FC Local zones based on DEMOGRAPHICS...that's RACE/ETHNICITY to the layperson. Uses low SES numbers to cover up that fact, but the policy (it's a great read btw), says DEMOGRAPHICS. Could that potentially come back to bite them? Who knows.
9) REBRAND the middle schools at great cost to the tax payer, so that it's easier to rezone in the future because no one will be attached to one school over another (again, really?). Dissolve "purple" and "maroon"
10) gotta fix the over capacity, right? And we gotta make east side happy, they've had such a "burden" so long. So let's throw some dumb ideas out there, and laugh our way through the meeting so that we can say that we satisfied our own FC local policy. In reality, we just want to hit fast forward and get to the good stuff - rezoning!!
11) throw up a gazillion maps, with pluses and minuses, and options, and lots of numbers that we've already established are bogus.
12) have a community forum, go through the motions of reading hundreds of form emails from east side, and ignore the pleas to be generous with grandfathering.
13) throw up some more maps, with more pluses and minuses.
14) VOTE TO APPROVE THE MAP AT THE MEETING WHERE NEW MAP IS REVEALED TO EVERYONE. Did you happen to see that map first before it was revealed to the public? I sure wonder how you came to a decision so fast...
15) VOTE AT THAT SAME MEETING to be super stingy with grandfathering and screw over a net 58 8th graders because that (in theory, not in reality) messes with your numbers.
16) start indoctrinating the 8th graders by taking them on tours of their new schools, and having principals, coaches, teachers call the parents to convince them to go ahead and move, and that all will be alright.
17) go through the motions of having ANOTHER meeting, but the basic goal is to dig heels in, and revote that they know what's best for 100+ 8th graders. Stare the 8th graders in the face, and tell them that they are just numbers. Also say, "go get exceptions for transfers", and don't you dare defy us again
18) Cancel the chance for any transfers.
19) laugh at the sobbing 8th graders and their parents at the end of your fake meeting and say "Hahaha! what are they gonna do to us now!?!" and "it's okay to cry, my kids cried too, you will get over it".

What did I miss? I mean, I feel like this process was a fantastic representation of superior behaviors from elected officials and a highly paid school district administration.
JR Ewing
AG
^TigerMom GETS it!
ChiefHaus
Tigermom84 said:

Let's just come up with a list of terrible decisions by this board because I'm starting to lose track:

What did I miss? I mean, I feel like this process was a fantastic representation of superior behaviors from elected officials and a highly paid school district administration.

You missed my favorite part. I could maybe look past all of what you posted if I was as convinced as the board is, that we will not rezone again before the third HS is built. At best, we get to do this all over again from scratch when the 3rd HS is built. At worse, and highly more likely we get to do this again in the next 36-48 months before the 3rd HS.

[That is a big post to quote. -Staff]
Wicked Good Ag
Very good list although a bit slanted
jac4
AG
You missed the part about none of the school board member's neighborhoods getting rezoned.
AggieMom_38
More to add, Tigermom

20. Fully ignoring the 2016 letter prepared by the coaches and fine arts directors to NOT do the 80-20/20-80 splits, which was seen as being detrimental to the programs and schools (again, across the district) as well as the added cost associated with the split (which was also shown and ignored)

21. College View: $13million and ~60 students. Enough said

22. The lies, oh the lies. Most recently, the lie about CSHS students already sitting on tables/desks and thus the need to move the net 58 kids. The lies that NOT grandfathering the students being best for the numbers, when there is not substantive effect on anything (saying it doesn't make it true). Saying they were threatened, then taking that back after open records request

23. Relying on inaccurate numbers (ones that included NO grandfathering of current high school students) throughout the rezoning process to pad the numbers and make it look like the new boundary maps were going to be somewhat effective at addressing capacity and ED. Then AFTER voting for the map (2b+++), and only then, showing the table with the real numbers (which then demonstrates what a waste this all has been). You can hear them say "don't show the numbers until after we vote" - board meeting posted online for you to hear the discussion
AgGirlCO95
[We have made it clear that we are not going to allow this thread to turn into a north,south, east, west pillow fight. -Staff]
Wicked Good Ag
I would have been against grandfathering honestly IF this vote had been taken in the fall or hell even before they went to schools, registered and tryouts.

As for rebranding many many more things went into the budget beside changing colors

I was against the 80/20 split of middle schools years ago like many coaches I have talked to in the past

I am in favor of building the 3rd high school earlier rather than later and would vote for a bond to do so

I am in favor of the idea of making the current Consol HS. a ninth grade campus years from now when I believe the population demographics will show 80-90 percent of the kids will be in south college station

I am in favor of NOT belittling school board members and their efforts in an unpaid volunteer position both professionally and personally where they have to look at 4000+ students both individually but moreso collectively.

I am in favor of debating the decisions or being proactive with the school board prior to the decisions being made
AggieMom_38
24. Changed plans and now will be providing buses for the non-grandfathered Freshman starting in 2018. For an added cost of $100,000
Stupe
S
Quote:

14) VOTE TO APPROVE THE MAP AT THE MEETING WHERE NEW MAP IS REVEALED TO EVERYONE. Did you happen to see that map first before it was revealed to the public? I sure wonder how you came to a decision so fast...
I may be remembering incorrectly, but I believe that option was put on the website for a few days before it was approved. There was no public hearing for it.
Tigermom84
AG
Stupe, they revealed 4 options and then several different iterations of those options over the next weeks. But they revealed "2b++" to the public on the same day that they voted.
Agmaker
Well, so much for the improved transparency the president just tauted on the radio.
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
Agmaker said:

Well, so much for the improved transparency the president just tauted on the radio.

Sounds like an impromptu PR campaign.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.