Grandfathering incoming freshmen (current 8th graders) at both CSISD high schools

50,550 Views | 338 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieMom_38
DevilDog99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The District was quoted in "The Eagle" that rezoning, "will also improve comparability at the campuses to 5.1 percent". Comparability involves balancing the percentage of students at each school participating in the district's free and reduced lunch program. Currently, the difference in participation at both schools is 14.33 percent.

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/families-react-to-college-station-isd-boundary-adjustments-options/article_0c10e270-17ba-5721-aca8-c30956235845.html

If both schools are great and offer the same academics, then why the need for "equalizing demographics?" No sense in accruing $100,000 more debt and bussing kids for hours a day to receive the exact same education.
02skiag
AG
I believe they think part of the reason they think both are great is because they equalized demographics. I personally agree with that.
DevilDog99
So before the 2016 boundary adjustment the schools weren't great? Prior there was no rezoning based on equalized demographics. In fact there have been 3 boundary adjustments in the last 7 years.

Evidence of the board's irrational attempts of demographics; CSMS will have no PTO next year, therefore, no fund raisers, no financial support for the teachers, and possibly no field trips.

Equalized demographics is just a political term for mediocrity, let's balance everything out.
DevilDog99
So before the 2016 boundary adjustment the schools weren't great? Prior there was no rezoning based on equalized demographics. In fact there have been 3 boundary adjustments in the last 7 years.

Evidence of the board's irrational attempts of demographics; CSMS will have no PTO next year, therefore, no fund raisers, no financial support for the teachers, and possibly no field trips.

Equalized demographics is just a political term for mediocrity, let's balance everything out.

Agmaker
Spreading out low ses is a way to accomplish averaging out the school performance scores. Doesn't help low ses.
Stupe
S
I don't agree with it, but it is not another word for "mediocrity".

Oogway
The Board Policy was changed to trigger a review when the percentage reached a certain #, but the District has been zoning for comparable composition (within reason due to the three Title I elementaries) since at least 2008 if not earlier. However, those have not been the only parameters considered when they (Board) have tasked committees with setting boundaries.
AggieMom_38
Comparable composition is currently the number one consideration (you can see it in FC Local). I sense it's been driven largely by the email campaign many of us participated in back in 2015-16 begging the board to make things right for Oakwood, AMCMS, AMCHS - remember the form emails "and insert your story here"? to show how horrible things were at the maroon schools. The aim was to move SES kids out and make purple "share the responsibility." The campaign was never about helping the low SES kids. Shameful.

Edit spelling
Tigermom84
AG
With regard to the grandfathering the 8th graders, I think if the public is outraged by this, it's extremely reasonable for parents and kids to request another community forum. Let the board hear the requests and then choose to forcibly uproot and deny those children face to face. The 5 board members that voted against this (Jeff Harris, Michael Wesson, Carol Barrett, Quinn Williams and Geralyn Nolan) should have to look the children in the face and tell them, "sorry, this is what is best for the district. We apologize for not planning for growth properly, thank you for being our sacrificial lambs. You will be fine, you are a resilient little girl and this will make you stronger. Just go join the other dance team and make new friends."

Regardless, there are elections coming up soon, and 4 out of these 5 can be replaced in 2 years or less. Remember this when it comes time to vote, because THEY are banking on the fact that they have "saved consol" and "saved taxpayers money", and all of this pain will be forgotten.

EVA3
AG
EVA3 said:

Carnwellag2 said:

MTTANK said:

HUH? Grandfathering does not involve switching any neighborhoods. We are talking about a net of 58 students out of a population of around 4000. Insignificant in skewing things either direction. Let the 58 kids go where they want, you are the ones that put them in this position by zoning so late in the year. They have already registered for classes and done band and cheer try outs. We need our school board to do whats right for the students and not themselves for once. #fatefor58

Grandfathering causes a lot of issues. It isn't as simple as letting these 58 attend the school they want. What about the next 58......

List the issues, please.

Second request.
CS_Aggie
Yes, a public forum needs to be held regarding the issue of grandfathering incoming 2018 freshmen. In fact, whenever grandfathering came up in the early stages of the rezoning discussion, the board always conveyed that grandfathering would be a SEPARATE discussion they would take up after the new attendance zones were decided on. Most families I've spoken to were under the impression that a workshop and public forum devoted to grandfathering would be scheduled so that people affected by the decision could have the chance to listen and weigh in. Instead, it is absolutely shameful the way Harris, Wesson, Barrett, Nolan, and Williams quietly and sneakily held the vote on grandfathering at the end of a THREE AND A HALF HOUR long workshop! Families throughout the district were completely taken off guard by the board's rush to make a grandfathering decision at the end of that meeting. The new attendance zones had not even been released when the board rushed to decide against grandfathering incoming freshmen!! Jeff Harris should be ashamed of himself. Again, it was disingenuous of the board to rush through that vote when they had conveyed to the public that it would be a separate discussion.

As a community, we have a right to stand up and demand a public forum be held on the grandfathering issue. The board needs to be willing to face the children and families affected by this decision. We should all call for a public forum to discuss grandfathering incoming freshmen. This issue is not closed and the board MUST revisit it.
DevilDog99
Again our College Station kids are treated as a number instead of with mortality. And these poor kids (sorry no pun intended), these poor, "financially disadvantaged" kids as the Board so happen to stereotype them, nothing says you're not welcome here like "hey we are going to bus you across town, maybe they can better serve your needs over there." I can hear the conversation with the Board now, "but all my friends go to this high school and I live three blocks away," "oh we know what's best for you."

The Board may want to go back and review their Operating Procedures: I will be accountable to the public, I will be responsive to the community, I will be continuously guided by what is best for all the students of the District. Instead you have board members whom just so happen to build custom homes in their community and rezoning may negitively impact property values. When asked about the pending rezoning of said community, he was quoted as saying "I will never let that happen"
Oogway
Yes, it is part of policy now; what I am saying is that it has been one of the parameters they (SB) have used in rezoning for a long time so this isn't anything new for them. At one point (2003/4?) they zoned some elementary schools with three considerations: proximity/feeder patterns (to intermediate), Title I, and then non Title I elementaries were to be comparable with each other.

That doesn't really have anything to do with grandfathering though and really shouldn't be a factor in the decision.
scs01
I ran across this article describing some criticism of how school boards are trained in TX:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/watchdog/2016/11/18/lawmaker-says-indoctrination-training-texas-school-boards-puts-adults-first-children-second

Not sure what to think of it, but this quote did resonate a little with me:

"It's an adults-first, children-second mindset, the Brenham lawmaker said. Too much emphasis on the next building, not enough on academics."
maddiedou
AG
I was informed that the board members haven't really received many concerned emails over grandfathering 8th graders.

If you support grandfathering, you need to email them individually, tell them how you feel about it in a respectful way and ask them to add it to the agenda for the May 15th board meeting so they can officially discuss reconsideration of the issue.

michaelshaefer@csisd.org
mikenugent@csisd.org
carolbarrett@csisd.org
michaelwesson@csisd.org
jeffharris@csisd.org
quinnwilliams@csisd.org
geralyn.nolan@csisd.org
cealy@csisd.org
news@kbtx.com
news@theeagle.com
news@wtaw.com

Many on this thread have expressed your belief that grandfathering the 8th graders is the right thing to do so let your voices be heard.

Edit to add last sentence and media email addresses
MTTANK
AG
maddiedou said:

I was informed that the board members haven't really received many concerned emails over grandfathering 8th graders.

If you support grandfathering, you need to email them individually, tell them how you feel about it in a respectful way and ask them to add it to the agenda for the May 15th board meeting so they can officially discuss reconsideration of the issue.

michaelshaefer@csisd.org
mikenugent@csisd.org
carolbarrett@csisd.org
michaelwesson@csisd.org
jeffharris@csisd.org
quinnwilliams@csisd.org
geralyn.nolan@csisd.org
cealy@csisd.org

Many on this thread have expressed your belief that grandfathering the 8th graders is the right thing to do so let your voices be heard.
Edit to add last sentence...
This is cross posted as well:

I would also be sure to copy these folks on your emails, just to help keep count. Also if you have sent emails already please resend them to these folks :

kehall@kagstv.com
news@wtaw.com
Oder@kbtx.com

I have been told that the board is not getting any response about the 8th graders as well. My initial response was that there was no way people are not littering their emails. After I think about it, I am pretty sure the emails have slowed. I think after all the emails were sent in the rezoning process, people had to watch them disregard it and continue with exactly what they wanted. I think the better part of the entire community has lost all faith in our superintendent and school board. A number of parents did email yesterday after hearing this, and received copy and paste responses form Jeff Harris noting he "does not have time to respond to individuals". Wesson stands shoulder to shoulder with Harris, and from the things I have heard about his behavior he might even be worse. Also our superintendent Mr. Ealy did take the time to call these parents, and assure them how much they were going to enjoy this school change(grab you ankles folks). No regard for families or these students.

I have been made to believe if they get enough emails they will put 8th graders back on the agenda and take another look . The only real message I see in all of this is that our superintendent and school board are imposing their will on our community. They have now told Both high schools that they are to bus these 8th graders to the newly zoned schools on May 11th and exert pressure on the students to register for 9th grade there. This has been mandated to the counselors and coach's, etc. If they scheduled this for may 11th, what does that tell you about their intentions to consider grandfathering these mistreated 8th graders???
GIG 'EM
ZFG
You can also add-
news@theeagle.com to the email list

Ironically (or maybe not so since I'm sure it was intentionally scheduled this way), the May 11th date to try and "push" 8th graders to go ahead and start at their newly zoned schools is scheduled before the next School Board meeting on May 15th.
Oogway
It may have been intentional, but that would probably be more from Administration than the SB if I had to bet. Except for the Algebra I EOC, the STAAR tests all start right after that date and campuses are closed to visitors. This whole thing is just a mess.
ZFG
That's even worse then! I can see them pulling them out of school for this after STAAR testing is completed but right before doesn't seem like a good idea.
Oogway
ZFG said:

That's even worse then! I can see them pulling them out of school for this after STAAR testing is completed but right before doesn't seem like a good idea.
For anyone who wasn't already aware:

May 9 (Wed) Algebra I EOC
May 11 (Friday) Trip?
May 14 (Monday) STAAR Math---8th retest
May 15 (Tues) STAAR 7/8 Reading---8th is Reading retest
May 16 (Wed) 8th Science
May 17 (Thurs) 8th Social Studies

I think I have the dates correct and if your student is in advanced classes, i.e. high school courses, schedules may vary.
QuitTrippin
MTTANK said:

maddiedou said:

michaelshaefer@csisd.org
mikenugent@csisd.org
carolbarrett@csisd.org
michaelwesson@csisd.org
jeffharris@csisd.org
quinnwilliams@csisd.org
geralyn.nolan@csisd.org
cealy@csisd.org

Edit to add last sentence...
This is cross posted as well:

I would also be sure to copy these folks on your emails, just to help keep count. Also if you have sent emails already please resend them to these folks :

kehall@kagstv.com
news@wtaw.com
Oder@kbtx.com

I have been told that the board is not getting any response about the 8th graders as well. My initial response was that there was no way people are not littering their emails. After I think about it, I am pretty sure the emails have slowed. I think after all the emails were sent in the rezoning process, people had to watch them disregard it and continue with exactly what they wanted. I think the better part of the entire community has lost all faith in our superintendent and school board. A number of parents did email yesterday after hearing this, and received copy and paste responses form Jeff Harris noting he "does not have time to respond to individuals". Wesson stands shoulder to shoulder with Harris, and from the things I have heard about his behavior he might even be worse. Also our superintendent Mr. Ealy did take the time to call these parents, and assure them how much they were going to enjoy this school change(grab you ankles folks). No regard for families or these students.

I have been made to believe if they get enough emails they will put 8th graders back on the agenda and take another look . The only real message I see in all of this is that our superintendent and school board are imposing their will on our community. They have now told Both high schools that they are to bus these 8th graders to the newly zoned schools on May 11th and exert pressure on the students to register for 9th grade there. This has been mandated to the counselors and coach's, etc. If they scheduled this for may 11th, what does that tell you about their intentions to consider grandfathering these mistreated 8th graders???
I am going to email these folks and let them know I appreciate the hard decisions our school board had to make for the betterment of our ENTIRE city. I encourage others to do the same.

To clarify, I am not against grandfathering 8th graders.

(mods, I can't change my name per website rules) I won't post anymore regarding this issue.
AggieMom_38
I interpret this to mean that you will email the board to encourage them to NOT grandfather the 8th graders. I apologize if that's not what you meant. But if it is what you mean. can you articulate the "betterment" to the entire district? Doesn't affect capacity at either school (cshs still 100+ over so portables being brought in), amchs still under by 350+, bonding projected to occur exact same year which is 2021 (so same tax effect), extra cost will be 100k if they provide busing to those not grandfathered (so that's actually a detriment to all)... just having a hard time seeing the betterment. Help me understand?

I do know 30 kids that will now attend cshs rather than amchs. Maybe not having those particular kids (which I believe are low income) is "better" for AMCHS?

edit spelling (affect vs effect. Ugh! Embarrassing!)
CS78
MTTANK said:

After I think about it, I am pretty sure the emails have slowed. I think after all the emails were sent in the rezoning process, people had to watch them disregard it and continue with exactly what they wanted. I think the better part of the entire community has lost all faith in our superintendent and school board.
Think you're right. A lot of people just seem to be done with trying to work with the board. Why continue when all it brings is frustration. Kinda like that X when you realize it's just not going to work. Time for a divorce for many. That may be the charter school for some, voting in new members, or some will just go away quietly and stop trying to be involved.
George Costanza
So the "betterment of the city" is more important than these kids?
AggieMom_38
B/CS Bear said:

So the "betterment of the city" is more important than these kids?
I'm waiting to learn what this "betterment" is!! Board hasn't been able to explain that, Dr Ealy hasn't been able to explain that... How are we better off having 58 more kids at one school vs another? And if there is any value (again, not sure what that is yet), at what cost? This is insane!
ZFG
Good news for all those supporting 8th graders being grandfathered...

I have heard that Mr. Schaefer responded to an email today and stated that he has requested that grandfathering 8th graders be added to the agenda for the May 15th board meeting so that it can be revisited. I'm not sure if that requires a "second" from another board member or not. If so, let's hope that the other board member who voted for the 8th graders will provide that!

Either way, there's still a chance for those kids and it is reassuring to know that there are still board members that are putting the kids first!
Oogway
I know there may be some who think the Board is just humoring the parents who have been reaching out to them, but I spoke with some parents who, like myself, are not affected by the grandfathering, etc and there was a concensus that this issue should be resolved in favor of these students due to the timeline. If this had occurred during the fall, they felt while people would have still been upset with the zoning, it would not have felt like having the rug pulled right out from under you. I hope the Board addresses this and listens to what the community is asking them to do.
ZFG
Oogway, I appreciate the fact that you support these kids without being directly affected! You hit the nail on the head. My child is an 8th grader and although he was not rezoned, he was directly affected because a significant number of his friends were rezoned. That's why our family supports 8th grade grandfathering...because basically ANY 8th grader in CSISD is or could be impacted by the grandfathering decision.

Their are significantly more kids being rezoned from CSHS which makes it difficult for many from that side, but even worse is the small number of kids being rezoned from Consol to CSHS. There are only about 30 8th grade kids being moved from there. That means those 30 kids will be starting over in a group of about 2000 other high schoolers. I myself moved in the middle of high school and know firsthand what it's like to go ALL DAY without seeing a familiar face. I wouldn't want any child to go through that unnecessarily.

Additionally, the 8th graders are the last group of kids from the maroon/purple "path" era. These kids have grown up going to summer camps at either Consol or CSHS. THEY WERE ONLY ALLOWED TO GO TO SUMMER CAMPS AT THE HIGH SCHOOL THEY WERE ZONED TO. It was a rule and didn't matter if you were only in the 3rd grade and missed your zoned school's basketball camp because of a family vacation or vacation bible school...you still couldn't register and participate at the "other" school because you weren't zoned there. The district created these rules and paths and now they won't support these kids that grew up knowing only one school in the district because of what was inflicted on them. I do know that in the last 2 weeks, these rules have been changed, but how much does that help the 8th graders? The recent controversial and expensive rebranding will help this (starting next year with the opening of the third middle school) but does absolutely nothing for the 8th graders that will already be in the only high school they ever planned on attending.

All of that being said, I feel like the 8th graders are the ones getting the "short end of the stick" in all of this. Older kids will be grandfathered and younger kids still have time to adjust and make their high school plans where they are zoned. These current Eighth graders though...they toured THEIR schools (the only ones they have ever been expected to attend) & met with counselors and made their 4 year plans back at the beginning of February (and have since been getting excited about high school with their friends & trying out and making teams)!

The admin/board response is they made the best decision for the entire district...what about the group that will be impacted the most?

#Fatefor58
ChiefHaus
ZFG said:

Additionally, the 8th graders are the last group of kids from the maroon/purple "path" era. These kids have grown up going to summer camps at either Consol or CSHS. THEY WERE ONLY ALLOWED TO GO TO SUMMER CAMPS AT THE HIGH SCHOOL THEY WERE ZONED TO. It was a rule and didn't matter if you were only in the 3rd grade and missed your zoned school's basketball camp because of a family vacation or vacation bible school...you still couldn't register and participate at the "other" school because you weren't zoned there. The district created these rules and paths and now they won't support these kids that grew up knowing only one school in the district because of what was inflicted on them. I do know that in the last 2 weeks, these rules have been changed, but how much does that help the 8th graders? The recent controversial and expensive rebranding will help this (starting next year with the opening of the third middle school) but does absolutely nothing for the 8th graders that will already be in the only high school they ever planned on attending.

This is the center of the problem with not grandfathering 8th graders. I know the board and Super attempted to address this issue by forcing the move going into 10th grade and compressing the timeline. In fact, it has made the situation worse and not better.
Personally, I am for the grandfathering because of what you wrote ZFG. I also have a kid in 7th grade who under the new rules would go to Consol with my 8th grader while my 10th grader is at CSHS. Since there is no sibling grandfathering, I am going to be splitting duties anyway (which is ridiculous in my opinion), but I would rather split the 7th and 8th grader than the 10th and 8th. The reason I quoted above is exactly why.
Tigermom84
AG
It has just occurred to me that the 5 that voted against grandfathering (Harris, Wesson, Barrett, Williams and Nolan) are the 5 that live in Consol zoned areas. Very coincidental. Something's rotten...

Edit - Also, in reading the Eagle this morning, the Fate group had a rally of some sort yesterday. And the silence from the administration (glewinkle aside, although his comments were dissmissive) and ESPECIALLY the board is deafening! Harris won't return phone calls, and none of the board will talk to anyone! No email responses at all? How can elected officials act this way?
Stupe
S
According to some Little League and Select coaches, there are some kids in that group that can either run or hit a curve ball. Or both.

Probably coincidental.
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
Stupe said:

According to some Little League and Select coaches, there are some kids in that group that can either run or hit a curve ball. Or both.

Probably coincidental.
From the CSISD Board Page:

"There are a total number of 114 8th grade students who are impacted by the boundary adjustment. These are actual 8th grade students who reside in the areas impacted as of April 25, 2018. Of the 114, to 86 students' zones changed from CSHS to AMCHS and 28 changed from AMCHS to CSHS."

*has anyone taken the time to do an analysis of how many of these students are high potential athletes, that are moving from one campus to the other? Would be interesting to know, especially considering CSHS has now won the "elusive" football state championship and a baseball state championship, just in its first 5yrs, and Consol is desperately wanting the same, as evidenced by their head football coaching hire last season. He was at most of the rezoning mtgs, which was an interesting observation.*
AggieMom_38
And notice the number is now 86 from CSHS to Consol (has been 88 per admin's own reports/tables). The numbers are once again changing and unclear who/what is included or not. No one has a clue what the numbers will look like the next few years (heck, they can't even project Fall 2018 accurately and that's a few months away). The board is making a decision that will impact these kids significantly and they keep standing by "this is for the best of the district" due to capacity (and ED perhaps) numbers, and the numbers are ever changing and just guestimates. It is obvious at this point they need to error on the side of the KIDS not their hypothetical numbers.
WoodAg
The numbers hasn't really changed. The 58 number was always the difference in capacity from one plan to another .

I believe the table showed if they went with the option with grandfather in the eighth graders there would be 58 more people at CSHS then if they went with the other plan.

Not defending the decision because I still think it's wrong .
AggieMom_38
Nope the number has changed. Was a net 58 (88 to AMCHS, 30 to CSHS). I've seen the data provided directly from Mr. Glenkwinkel. Now the number is net 56 (86 to AMCHS now). Maybe it's only 2, but if they can't even figure out the number of kids currently enrolled in their capacity calculations, how can we have any confidence in their projected guesses of future numbers. Error on the side the students. Students should always be more important than numbers, but these numbers are a mess anyway.

By the way, the quote in The Eagle from CSISD was pretty bad today. I'm hoping/thinking an apology will be coming.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.