Grandfathering incoming freshmen (current 8th graders) at both CSISD high schools

50,532 Views | 338 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieMom_38
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I may be wrong, but I believe the 'transparency' comment was in reference to some changes made from previous boundary adjustments. Although this rezoning was different in that there was no community committee, in the past there were committees that were given direction from the school board for parameters to consider, numbers and scenarios from school administration, and growth projections from demographers. Committee members were not supposed to discuss what went on in their meetings with the community ( this guideline was not something that citizens were particularly good about observing). Once the committee had a proposed plan then the SB took a look at it and if it passed muster, then the public forums would begin and input was received at those plus other channels and the SB would either tell the committee to go back and redesign, tweak it, or vote to approve, etc.

So I expect the transparency reference this time around is that the public was able to see some of the numbers and plans and so on prior to the vote. In a better timeline, there might have been more public forums I would guess. I seem to recall the usual number of those as three. It seemed like some of their work/ feedback this time may have been off of emails or social media and the like.

Edit to add- we discussed on either this thread or the other one about the accuracy of the demographic numbers/projections, and that is where it would be one of those awkward moments I would like to see- - an SB member challenge the methodology used to determine some of the low growth and high growth projections. The demographers aren't developers but have access to the City P&D people who let them know where the big developments are in the pipeline and how many housing units are expected.

ZFG
As if his comments at Friday's meeting weren't bad enough...
http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/School-board-member-apologizes-for-notes-taken-during-meeting--482134491.html

Edit- and does that even count for an apology?
Plus, grandfathering WAS in fact discussed both times people from the public spoke!
kyledr04
AG
http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/School-board-member-apologizes-for-notes-taken-during-meeting--482134491.html
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
ZFG said:

As if his comments at Friday's meeting weren't bad enough...

Edit- and does that even count for an apology?
Plus, grandfathering WAS in fact discussed both times people from the public spoke!
Good to know how our esteemed Board members REALLY feel about our community and their "constituents".

This guy has a PhD and teaches upper-level HR and Leadership courses in the Mays Business School...wonder if he used, "List 5 key ways in which leadership can quickly lose credibility in critical and high-visibility situations", as a question on his final exams this last week?!
Nom de Plume
AG
Wow, CSISD and residents. You can do so much better. And I suspect you will.
MTTANK
AG
Want to let everyone know they are now accepting transfer applications and exceptions from the incoming freshman they voted recently voted against. Originally Clark Ealy told Chrissy Hester to tell parents that there would be absolutely no exceptions being granted and they were not going to change their stance on this. I have heard this was not some of the board members feelings on this, and that Ealy was notified it was happening and denied it. Not sure I believe the school board, or Ealy in any of this for obvious reasons. Just wanted everyone to know they have now changed their stance. Chrissy is telling parents a committee or cabinet will make the decision, this is code for the school board. I am anxious to see who they deny and who they decide to grant relief to.
GIG 'EM
Oogway
Tread carefully with that one-depending upon who is speaking, you do not want to get people in trouble with FERPA. I realize that gossip runs amok on social media and via the grapevine, but these are individual students we are talking about and they deserve some privacy.
MTTANK
AG
Oogway- Did I mention a student? I'm confused

Never mind I get it sorry. I would never post names of students on here. I meant I am personally anxious to see who they help and who they do not help. Maybe the whole grandfathering meeting was some strange form of posturing and they intend on taking care of these kids for all I know. I sure hope they do!!!
GIG 'EM
Oogway
No, you didn't. I should clarify; if people begin discussing this whenever, wherever ( here, social media etc) I was reminding folks to be mindful of that for a variety of reasons, but FERPA is one of them.
WoodAg
AggieMom_38
I would guess that those with a sibling already at the HS would have the best chance for a "transfer" to that HS. But there will be other kids that deserve strong consideration. Shoot, I believe they ALL deserve strong consideration given how awful this timing is (and that it doesn't make a difference to the schools numbers!). Yes, I'm repetitive
ChiefHaus
How does them taking transfers work?
Creekisrising
Not McGee help here, Chief, but some friends went through the process and it was with Chrissy Hester's office.

Contrary to what some say, the board has nothing to do with it.

I'll see if I can get more info from them.
TaterTot_09
Per Chuck.......Chrissy leads the committee and it's considered on a case by case situation.

I'm assuming the committee is the board?

Creekisrising
Would be shocked if the committee even had one board member.
They really aren't involved day to day.
They just make everyone else's job more difficult. With the grandfathering decision, how much harder is the job of counselors, administrators, etc?
ChiefHaus
I appreciate it Hendo
MTTANK
AG
Hendo, the committee IS THE SCHOOL BOARD. Request forms go through Chrissy. Also, I agree with you on making more work for our hardworking school staff. I talked to someone yesterday that has been putting in 60-70hr weeks because of this nonsense.
Creekisrising
The board can not meet in private.
Every meeting is public and I have never heard of them deciding about who can/can't get a transfer in a public meeting.
Meeting in their executive sessions would not cover something like this.
It may be something they vote on (still don't think so) but that's just like voting on the calendar, etc. the just approve the work of other groups/people.

haven't talked to any staff about the extra hours, but it sure does seem to be logical that a lot of work has been piled on a lot of people. Haven't thought of it until now, but that will include the transportation people, too, with the additional routes for next year.
I'm actually ok with the new routes since they are going through with no grandfathering - another reason it should have gone through.
Oogway
MTTANK said:

Hendo, the committee IS THE SCHOOL BOARD. Request forms go through Chrissy. Also, I agree with you on making more work for our hardworking school staff. I talked to someone yesterday that has been putting in 60-70hr weeks because of this nonsense.

Is the 'school board is the committee ' a fact? Or is this like several other District-wide committees wherein the SB has a rep who sits in (like the 'calendar' committee, etc)

As far as staff working extra, I can feel sympathy for the folks who have been charged with implementing the plan and its consequences but don't pin it all on the SB: the administration comes up with scenarios and presents them to the board so they spread some of this pain on their own people.

It's kind of like the teacher who refused to consider changing the school calendar because she was 'ready for a vacation,' while many of us parents were thinking 'what do you think you have been doing since the STAAR test ended?'

Hendo-they can meet in executive session for matters such as personnel or real estate that can be compromised if certain details are made public. Don't know if this would be a part of that if what MTTANK is saying is correct. (Regarding the SB being the sole committee)
MTTANK
AG
Any updates on the bullying that was going on towards these kids? I know it was reported to the school board, but last I heard they were non responsive. I heard Consol really rolled out the red carpet for students at open house. Regardless of the way the school board voted, pretty classy move on consol's part in my eyes. I think CSHS did the same, but have not personally heard about it from anyone yet. The staff of both these schools were put in a tough position, I'm really appreciative of their hard work and the respect shown by them to these kids that were recently called just a number by our school board.
Oogway
The instructors and staff at both schools are a part of the community and I believe for the most part they take whatever hand they are dealt and move forward with the students' best interest at heart. In our many years within this community we have had some outstanding educators for our children. There have been a few we didn't think were the best fit due to differences between learning and teaching styles, but overall, we have been pleased.
Agmaker
I'm curious too if the bullying has been addressed. Many people saw the post. My understanding as well is that it was reported to the Sup/SB but no action or response from either at this point.
TaterTot_09
Just curious if anybody has an update on the teacher bully incident??? Or have they managed to sweep it under the rug with the rest of their bad PR lately??
Oogway
I haven't heard anything.
AggieMom_38
From what I understand, neither the board nor superintendent have not been responding about the rezoning/grandfathering or related concerns (perhaps the bullying mentioned?) since the initial form email sent early April by the board president. It appears they are done engaging with the community. I personally sent an email directly to the superintendent 2-3 weeks ago with specific questions and have not received a response. I worry the message this sends to parents, particularly when rezoning starts in a few months. I am so glad to be nearly done with this district and these individuals. It's gotten very concerning.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.