Outdoors
Sponsored by

*****2022-23 Duck Season******

36,529 Views | 450 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by ttha_aggie_09
Aggieangler93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son and his buddy popped at least 3 this morning. I am waiting for them to get back to the house so I can see what the distribution was. I am hoping to hunt Saturday or Sunday this weekend if time permits.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
CS78
Anybody else taking advantage of the north wind this morning?

Not cold but still feels nice. Visions of pintails tornadoing into the spread.
FirefightAg
AG
I'm out here 6 birds in the spread 10 min before legal. Nothing since
Brazos1865
AG
Work gets in the way during the week, but we'll hunt Saturday.

Legal shooting hours start today at 6:54 here?
DDSO
AG
I was hoping to but I had to get a nail taken out of a tire in the truck.
CS78
The north wind was good to us.

Premium yankee snacks.

FirefightAg
AG
CenTex mixed bag today. Not many birds around.

RightWingConspirator
AG
Hunting Venice, LA this weekend. Cold front coming through so should be good.
Aggieangler93
AG
We are hoping to hunt Saturday morning. Glad to hear of decent Centex numbers on the latest front.
PharmD4
AG
Tough hunt this morning.

angryocotillo
AG
Got skunked this morning. A few birds here and there, but they wanted no part of the pond I was hunting. Only bird that decoyed all morning decided to do it in the middle of me taking a piss.
FSGuide
I can't post pics from my phone but this season I only went on 5 hunts. Things on my strap this year were:

Redheads
Blue bill
Green wing teal
Lesser Canadas
Speckle bellies
Snow goose (first one for me)
Western sandhill
Greater sandhill
-------------------------------------------------------
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Aggieangler93
AG
We had 3 different groups come in before legal shooting this AM. They were far across the pond due to damn south wind. We ended up with 4 widgeons and 1 ringneck. Should have had a few more if I wasn't shooting cross-eyed.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Shooting one sand hill is pretty dang cool
JoeAggie15
AG
Swatted the widgeons in Knox City,TX today with
Stanfields.

Class of '94
RO519
AG
Hell yea. A buddy guides for Stanfield.
water turkey
RO519 said:

Hell yea. A buddy guides for Stanfield.

I had never shot widgeon in dry fields till I hunted with them a couple of years ago. We couldn't keep them out of the goose spread.
Stormchaser
AG
Roasted some greenheads from yesterday's hunt. Turned out great.
806aggie18
AG
Unfortunately not mine, but buddy of mine (also an ag) bagged a banded mallard up here by Plainview last weekend! I bet that duck had some stories to tell!

Duckslayer15
AG
Wood duck shoot Saturday morning. Had to get back to the house by 8:30 to start making sausage from this past seasons deer. Otherwise we prolly would have gotten our 3 man limit.
JoeAggie15
AG
Stanfield does a great job. Been going hunting with them on and off for 20+ years.
Class of '94
Cable0790
AG
Pond hunting in South Texas. 3 short of a 3 man limit. Shout out to James Hagan our guide class of 2012
"Why don't you make 10 one louder?...This one goes to 11"
bmfvet
AG
Was at the lease for the last weekend of deer season and there were several speckle bellies and Sandhills on one of the ponds. So I went there this morning to try and get some. Of course they no showed and where I set up wasn't optimal for ducks. I watched a lot land on the other side but did manage 3 greenwings.
‘99
PharmD4
AG
If you want to see ducks, bring a rifle. If you want to see deer, bring a shotgun. If you want to see both, bring binoculars.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's funny
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Nice mixed bag!
Cable0790
AG
Thanks, we had a shot at a Pintail but he somehow eluded our "expert marksmanship/artillery barrage"
"Why don't you make 10 one louder?...This one goes to 11"
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Funny how the birds you want to shoot always do that but when a spoonie flys by at 65 yards, you seem to fold them every time lol
CS78
Came out to get the feeders swapped back to pig hunting mode and spotted these two meddling around in the hood. Had to give em the coonass slip with the old low rib H&K.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
I want to shoot a mallard so bad…
CS78
Id tell you to come hunt but they're really inconsistent around here.
agfan2013
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I want to shoot a mallard so bad…

Join the club. People all over "they're literally the most abundant species of duck in North America!".... yeah well we dont get them very much in central Texas. At least not at the farm tanks I mostly hunt over in Burleson County.

On a side note, I'm 99% sure there is a bufflehead drake that hangs out on a farm tank on some family land my wife's grandmother owns. I've seen what I thought was one the last couple of years, finally looked at it through some binoculars a couple weeks back and I'm now almost positive thats what it is. Must come back to the same area every winter. That would be a cool one to shoot and take to the taxidermist....
ttha_aggie_09
AG
The flip side is people that shoot Mallards all the time want to come blast red heads or other more common Texas ducks. People want what they don't have…

Growing up I had a family friend, almost like a second dad, that had two buffleheads on a log he mounted from Port O. I went 5-6 duck season before I saw my first Drake and whiffed horrendously because I was so nervous. I ended up redeeming myself later that season and put that Drake on the wall.

I have only seen 2-3 drakes this entire season but I know people have shot them down here.
PharmD4
AG
When a friend of mine moved from California to Texas and we started hunting together, we got to talking about our bucket list ducks. I almost spit my coffee when he told me how a drake Scaup was near the top of his list.

Took him to hunt a marsh lake for divers that next season…never seen someone so happy
gus89
AG
I'm looking to take my son on a wood duck hunt. Anyone know of a place that sells wood duck hunts? I live in Houston.

Appreciate any info.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.