Outdoors
Sponsored by

*****2022-23 Duck Season******

36,142 Views | 450 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by ttha_aggie_09
FirefightAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd call it N Tex

Double dipped on a hole, usually not a norm. I went back amd scouted at 330 yesterday and there were Bout 80 gadwall in the hole so I figured I'd give it a go. Turns out it was a teal and pintail shoot. Had a few more pintail do it right but just watched.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
This in store only? Haven't seen it on website but may have to run to Katy store
Aggieangler93
AG
Yes. Website doesn't show any of it. I am not sure if they are closing all stores or not?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
harge57
lazuras_dc
AG
First hunt of the year for me. Went out in aransas pass. A lot of high flyers but decoy shy. Got a pintail early and 6 redheads between four of us. Kind of slow.

Headed back out tomorrow.
Aggieangler93
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

This in store only? Haven't seen it on website but may have to run to Katy store
I would call the Dicks next door to the one near you and ask them if Field and Stream is having a clearance/closing sale. Trying to call the F&S here was fruitless.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Is there anything better than a good duck dog?
PharmD4
AG
Got skunked today (Lee County)

I had 2 beavers and 3 otters in the little pond at one point. I would have never imagined seeing beavers and otters in an area with cactus and mesquite trees.
angryocotillo
AG

Picked up a decent variety pack on a public walk-in hunt this morning. Seemed like the birds were decoying better for me with a small spread than the couple of groups within sight of me that all had big spreads and multiple mojo's running
water turkey
It's that time of year when ducks start getting decoy and mojo shy.

I haven't run a mojo since the second weekend of the season
DDSO
AG
Two woodies this morning. Wish we could mix in something else. Saw looks of ducks but they were all wood ducks.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thai time of year it seems like either a handful of decoys or a mega spread (15+ dozen) are the ticket. I only run mojos early in the morning and kill them 15 minutes or so into hunt. Unless I am hunting divers… I'll run those all day long for divers and they'll lock in.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Great strap! Beautiful Gadwall drake
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Nothing wrong with wood ducks!
Aggieangler93
AG
We had 6 gadwall and 1 ringneck hen this AM. Between the 3 of us, we missed 8-10 birds. We should have done better. Trying again tomorrow.
Aggieangler93
AG
Sunday was really slow for us. We had 2 ring necks and a redhead drake. Since this is my first season, I was excited about the beautiful redhead.
Aggieangler93
AG
Sunday was really slow for us. We had 2 ring necks and a redhead drake. Since this is my first season, I was excited about the beautiful redhead. Sorry I didn't get a better pic!
angryocotillo
AG
I'm on my 4th season and I've yet to get a redhead. Congrats!

I got a permit for a pretty decent walk-in spot I like to go near Freeport. The hunt is on Christmas Eve so I'm having a hard time finding anyone to go with me. All you will need is a gun, license, a stool, and $20 for your portion of the permit. Anyone interested?
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
You're providing the shells, camo, dog, duck calls, waders, decoys and coffee?
Micropterus
AG
Word of advice. Dont bother trying to eat the redhead. Get it mounted and enjoy the memory.
RO519
AG
It was a fun, but cold, weekend.

bmfvet
AG
It was hot and heavy this morning, took 15 minutes (should have been about 5 if I could shoot worth a s*** this morning). Had a group of 50 pintails come in. It was a thing of beauty, too bad I was by myself.
‘99
Aggieangler93
AG
Thanks for the advice. My buddy makes some great duck Jerky so I sent it home with him. It's as good as venison jerky.
Micropterus
AG

Pretty quick hunt on Saturday. Birds worked in perfectly.
water turkey
Look at those green heads!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Where was this?

And I hate you….
Micropterus
AG
There's just some questions you don't ask. This is one of those questions. I could lie, but I'd just rather not say anything at all.
DDSO
AG
When people ask this question, at least on TA, I think they are just looking for a general area. North, south. East or west texas, public or private, If you feel comfortable, which county.

I don't think most people are looking for coordinates to your duck hole. YMMV. Great shoot.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Exactly!

I wasn't asking for directions to this spot. I'm actually assuming you're out of state given these green heads and was just curious what state this was.

If that's too invasive and a question I shouldn't ask, don't post your crap on this board. No one here is trying to be a pot licker…
DG96
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Where was this?

And I hate you….

I'll guess it's private land in Arkansas.
Duckslayer15
AG
I'll go ahead and echo what others have said. If you don't want people to ask where your hunt was just don't post anything at all. A forum is for the exchange of information. If you just wanna post pics there a thing called social media.
El_duderino
Took the words out of my mouth
cledus6150
AG
Yeah that question on TexAgs is an easy general area, county or even watershed answer not the Karen style response we you provided. No one on here is asking for your secret blind spot or the Latitude and Longitude to a guides honey hole. Most use it to kinda gauge where the birds are and where they are not, so they know what to expect in future hunts etc.
Aggieangler93
AG
Trying to get better at identifying these ducks. What are those you shot?
DG96
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Trying to get better at identifying these ducks. What are those you shot?

Green wing teal

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.