Outdoors
Sponsored by

*****2022-23 Duck Season******

36,139 Views | 450 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by ttha_aggie_09
DG96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hunted the coast this afternoon. Tons of pintail and redheads as usual. Found a few wigeon also. Got to watch a lot of birds work in the spread
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Nice! What bay you hunting?
cledus6150
AG
That's a good hunt!
angryocotillo
AG
When you hunt areas like this do you hunt the open bay or backwaters?
DG96
AG
Was hunting near corpus. I don't hunt open bays too often. I take the airboat to places a little less pressured which usually has more of the puddle ducks also.
DuckDown2013
AG
Hoping this north Texas front brings some fresh birds in. Regardless, I'll be out there!
angryocotillo
AG
I drew a spot for a 700 yard walk-in in the marsh tomorrow. Forecast is 45 degrees, raining, and a 15mph wind. I think I might need to go see a psychiatrist.
trip98
AG
DG96 said:

Hunted the coast this afternoon. Tons of pintail and redheads as usual. Found a few wigeon also. Got to watch a lot of birds work in the spread

Thats a helluva great mixed bag for the bays... Especially this early! Congrats
trip98
AG
angryocotillo said:

I drew a spot for a 700 yard walk-in in the marsh tomorrow. Forecast is 45 degrees, raining, and a 15mph wind. I think I might need to go see a psychiatrist.

Good luck... That effort you're owed a great hunt... Hope it happens
TH36
angryocotillo said:

Hell yea, that's duck huntin weather. Good luck!
Stormchaser
AG
Hunted public yesterday and got a few, but it reminds you to appreciate when we hunt private a little more. But when the lab doesn't seem to care either way, it makes getting up each time pretty easy.
Back2Back
AG
Nice shooting everyone!!!!!

If anyone needs a custom mallard call, let me know

Maximus Johnson
AG
Shot a 2 man of grey ducks on Sunday. We had to grind our limit out, but the rest of the marsh sounded like the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan
RO519
AG
Had a bang up hunt Saturday morning in the rain and cold. I was surprised at how many blue wings were still here...
bmfvet
AG
Had a good hunt yesterday, smilers, greenwings, gadwalls, and a mottled duck.

‘99
BCO07
AG
We've had a rough year so far. Hopefully this weather will bring them down
Ag 11
AG
Nice Redhead
angryocotillo
AG
Well, I survived my walk into the marsh. My friend cancelled on me at 1am, so I went by myself. It was pretty brutal to be honest, had lots of ringnecks flying in about 9am but between shivering and my gun routinely misfiring I only got one of them.

I am almost always hunting the south zone. For the weekend of the split I've been going to dam b for the past 3 years, but in that time I've only shot 1 duck there and my friend and I are ready to try some place new.

I've got a boat, but after my boating accident a couple years ago I'm pretty sketched out going to new places in the dark. I'd love to do a semi-semi guided hunt where I can just follow someone into an area or get Intel on a relatively safe place to go. I'd be glad to make it up to you in any combination of gas, shells, liquor, or shared Intel about south zone. We're looking to go the weekend of 12/10 when south zone is closed. My email is username @ Gmail.com
CS78
Where are you coming from? Type of boat? How far you want to go? Can you spend a day scouting? Mid season, scouting will be almost mandatory on any of the lakes.
angryocotillo
AG
Coming from south Houston. 1844 go devil with long tail. I could possibly scout, but it would have to be the Sunday before hand because of my work schedule. I'm somewhat interested in finding birds and very interested in not getting in over my head on a lake I'm unfamiliar with.

- I'd like to stay within about 3 hours drive. The plan would be to drive up after work on Friday, camp, and hunt the morning on Saturday. Possibly Sunday too
CS78
Thats going to be tough to try to learn a new spot and hunt it without taking a friday off. I could send you some spots for south Toledo Bend but more than likely, youd strike out hunting blind. Tha coast is much more forgiving to just going and hunting and killing some birds.
CS78
Prior to this season this spot was exclusively wood ducks. Did a bunch of dirt work over the summer to open it up and flatten it out in hopes of drawing more species. Been some teal and a few mallards every day but haven't hunted it yet due to wanting the rut/ doe season to wrap up. Had a single gadwall commit suicide. One expensive duck but it does make the work feel worth it.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Nothing wrong with a strap full of woodies!
Ragoo
AG
Wood ducks are so beautiful
FirefightAg
AG
1st duck hunt of the season Fri 11/25 produced quite a few birds flying not all wanted to work but still stacked a few.

Deer hunted Saturday

Back at the ducks err goose Sunday. Didn't see hardly any ducks. Like 4 total. Did have a group of 30 giant hockey's fly over shoulda got 2 or 3 out of em but didn't.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Really jealous of the green heads! Would love to watch my dog retrieve one one day.
FirefightAg
AG
Come to North Texas in December or January
Aggieangler93
AG
Had easy 2 man limit of Gadwall and Widgeon this morning. We were covered up with birds. Hoping tomorrow is the same! They really decoyed well and my Rodgers special priced steel ammo did very well. Gonna have to figure out a way to keep cows from eating our blind components.

Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
water turkey
Cows are a PITA. We started using palm fronds. They will still pull them out but drop them on the ground around the blind.

You just have to stick them back in place.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Some great looking cotton tops in there! Great hunt
hurricanejake02
AG
We started building our blinds out of hog panels. Inner layer for the blind walls, and an outer layer a few feet out to keep animals (and people) from trampling all over our cover.
PharmD4
AG
I bet that was a blast (no pun intended). I love how gads and wigeon decoy.
DuckDown2013
AG
3 man limit on north Texas public by 8:30. Should have been done sooner if we shot better. 9 GWT, 3 pintail, 1 wigeon, 5 gadwall.
CS78
Had a couple friends over from Louisiana for the 2nd split opener. Lots of good times!

Friday, we were able to put some meat in the cooler while scouting birds for Saturday. The young bucks have really taken it on the chin this year with does being MIA during the early season and closed now.

Saturday morning was a good mess of birds. I think 18 teal and 3 woody's. Our woody's have split. Im thinking the good rain put water under the oak trees in the creeks.

Buddies then commenced to doing what coonasses do best, try to drink up all the bud light in the county while watching LSU get beat.

Dinner was all you can eat bluefin tacos with lightly charred HEB tortillas, fresh romaine from the garden, and HEB poblano ceasar dressing. All gobbled down while hovering around the front deck of the duck boat.

Wrapped the weekend up with a pivot to another area this morning. Quick hunt yielded 3 gadwall, 3 teal, 5 woodys, and one hairy head.

CS78
Some good looking flooded sedge. Are yall back up to full on your lakes?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.