Outdoors
Sponsored by

*****2022-23 Duck Season******

36,148 Views | 450 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by ttha_aggie_09
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gus89 said:

I'm looking to take my son on a wood duck hunt. Anyone know of a place that sells wood duck hunts? I live in Houston.

Appreciate any info.
Not aware of any guided wood duck hunts.

Everybody I know with good wood duck water is seeing very few birds. Even earlier in the season, it was way below normal. What was here, peeled out back before the freeze. I just got back from my place on the Navasota. About 5 acres of flooded brush. Saw 2. Last couple years that would have been 50-100. I might be able to help you out next season but already promised some to another member this season and not able to do that.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Longshot, but dad and i have a free morning in rockport saturday. Were going to wade fish but looks like duckin weather. Guide recommendations?
DG96
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Longshot, but dad and i have a free morning in rockport saturday. Were going to wade fish but looks like duckin weather. Guide recommendations?

Most of the better ones that actually put in effort will be booked. Be sure to ask if they leave their decoys out all season, or pick up every hunt. If they don't pick them up don't hunt with them.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Not picky at this point, be happy to just get a shot at a couple redheads
Maximus Johnson
AG
Sounds like you have a boat. Go pick up some decoys and go yourself.

You don't need no stinkin guide
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Got a boat, got dekes, don't got time
DUman08
AG
https://www.facebook.com/RufflingFeathersGuideService

Not sure if they have openings but they usually having some consistent hunts.
Sixdrakes
AG
DUman08 said:

https://www.facebook.com/RufflingFeathersGuideService

Not sure if they have openings but they usually having some consistent hunts.
I hunted with this outfitter in November and was not impressed.
DUman08
AG
Dang I hate to hear that did you hunt with Brandon? We run in t he same circles of hunting groups. He has sublease some of our stuff during teal season and he seemed to know his stuff.
Sixdrakes
AG
Yes, hunted two days with him and his BIL together, then hunted the last day with his BIL. I don't doubt that Brandon knows his stuff. His BIL on the other hand.......... It could have been his cousin. He is related to Brandon somehow and was very green to hunting the coast.
Aggieangler93
AG
Wow....I should have got up this AM. My son and his buddy had canvasbacks in central Texas! Both shot at same birds.

Anyone have a good taxidermist recommendation near BCS or Austin?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
BCO07
AG
Finally had a good morning after a season of one's and twos
FirefightAg
AG
DimeBox17
AG
Not sure if you want to make the drive but there's a place near Huntsville that did a damn good job on a Gadwall for me. I believe it was called Southern Wings. I took this picture in the parking lot when I picked it up.
bmfvet
AG
We did good this morning, 26 for 5 hunters. Should have had a limit though. Mostly gadwalls, but had a couple redheads, pintail, wigeon, green and bluewings.

‘99
Aggieangler93
AG
DimeBox17 said:

Not sure if you want to make the drive but there's a place near Huntsville that did a damn good job on a Gadwall for me. I believe it was called Southern Wings. I took this picture in the parking lot when I picked it up.

Thanks. What is approx cost?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
txaggie02
AG
DimeBox17 said:

That ain't just any ol grey duck. That's really cool. What's it a cross with?
DimeBox17
AG
Website shows $325

http://www.southernwingstaxidermy.com/pricelist.aspx
DimeBox17
AG
We went back and forth on it being crossed with something but never came to a final verdict. I just went with it being a bada** duck so I got it mounted.
Thisguy1
Don't let him lie to you, I had to talk him into getting it mounted. I still remember picking it up. We asked a lot of people and the general consensus was a widgeon cross. One guy sent it to some big duck biologist guy up north and he thought it was a widgeon as well but thought there was pintail in the line. Who knows. It looks cool as hell.
CS78
I vote a badass gadwall. Ive seen some with white collars but never that broad. Same with the purple head, just not that bold. If it were a cross, you'd see it in the wings and back too. Definitely a top notch specimen.
water turkey
Badass gadwall. Have seen them with purple head late in the season.

I really like the tan neck band!
DimeBox17
AG
I was hesitant to get it mounted because I was a broke college kid who could hardly afford going to the bar and buying steel shot.

The duck actually has some nice purple and green color on the head when it has some light on it. The only other ducks I'll get mounted would be a cinnamon or a nice pintail.
TH36
I've killed some sweet Gaddies that I wish I'd gotten mounted as they're my second favorite duck but damn that one is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Awesome cans!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Lot of gray ducks! Nice hunt
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I hate you…

Awesome Green-head!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's the best looking Gadwall I have ever seen! Incredible
ttha_aggie_09
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Pretty solid morning. Nailed a 4 man limit but it took till about 9:45 or so. Mostly Green Wings and surpassingly no pintails.

806aggie18
AG
Lots of green in the panhandle this morning!
BCO07
AG
I want to move back up there badly. Spending the morning shooting ducks and then going to the next field over to get after quail and pheasant is so much fun
angryocotillo
AG
Got a limit in the rain on Saturday, including my first drake mottled duck. Public walk-in on the coast.

DG96
AG
Very nice.
bmfvet
AG
Got a nice blue wing this morning. Anyone have a bird taxidermist in Austin area they recommend?

‘99

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.