Outdoors
Sponsored by

*****2022-23 Duck Season******

36,125 Views | 450 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by ttha_aggie_09
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heads up for guys going out tomorrow - be careful with your pups. Mine was nice and warm but she nicked up her front legs and under chest quite a bit on the ice. Her front legs are a little swollen right now but she's in good spirits.

Good luck!
CS78
Thanks.

And be careful sending them out on ice if the water is deep.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Absolutely! Not used to hunting in ice down hereā€¦ fortunately, our pond was shallow this morning so nothing too deep. A lot of danger in ice for man's best friend.
CS78
Typical 2nd day after the front. Cold, still, and quiet. Saw 1 gadwall and maybe a dozen woodies.

Homemade cheddar bacon biscuits.

A fresh round of hot cinnamon rolls.

Dallasag517
AG
a friend of mine and i had a tremendous hunt earlier in november but struck out a couple of weeks ago near graham, tx. those ducks tasted great though!
tlh3842
AG
Pretty wild experience this morning in Brazos Cty. Busting ice over an inch thick in the shallows and a solid thin sheet in water a few feet deep, steps refreezing a few min after getting back in the blind each time. Got a 6 man limit but had to work a bit. Done at 10, but should've been sooner if shooting worth a damn. Not a ton of birds moving, bright and still morning.
water turkey
That's a pretty good shoot, a six man limit.

Hunting should be good next week with south winds and a warm up, especially in the rice.
CS78
Good deal. Did you feel like yall had new birds or birds that had been holding on your spot? Types of ducks? Near one of the rivers?
MAROON
AG
Anyone go out this morning? We're hunting near Garwood tomorrow morning was just wondering what everyone was seeing
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Aggieangler93
AG
We're hunting two ponds in two separate parties tomorrow morning. I hope to have great results from far eastern Travis co.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
AggieArcher17
AG
5 man in the hill country this morning by 8 AM. Mallards, Pintail Wigeon Gadwall and Teal. Heck of a hunt!
tlh3842
AG
Hard to say for certain as first time to duck hunt it, but I can see the hole from my deer stand. But I'm pretty sure the last front made a big difference. Not much water in the hole in early November, so obviously not much birds. But I hadn't seen as many even flying around either, so I think it was a two part newer water and more birds with this big front.

We're less than 5 miles from either river. It's basically an area of flooded timber with not much other protected water around it on immediately adjacent properties.
CS78
I scouted yesterday. Place by Somerville has had zero ducks for the last two weeks. Navasota had a flock of teal and a single gadwall. Ive heard a few other reports of new greenwings. It seems a portion of the greenwing population pushes down early with shortening daylight and another portion hangs out with the mallard holdouts and doesn't move south until the nastier weather hits.
CS78
tlh3842 said:

We're less than 5 miles from either river. It's basically an area of flooded timber with not much other protected water around it on immediately adjacent properties.

Can't be too far from me. Surprised we couldn't hear yall banging. We always hear a lot of different people shooting but never anyone tearing them up.
agfan2013
AG
Got a late start leaving the house this morning, just jumping farm tanks not even a true "hunt", but had some success. First ducks of the season for me.

Back2Back
AG
3 widgeon on a cold Christmas morning up in North TX private

Back2Back
AG
MAROON
AG
Garwood this morning. Five hunters not quite limits. Within 15 minutes of shooting light we had our limits of Pintail, then for the next hour we had large groups of Pintail decoy and land in our spread while we just watched. Then we were able to knock down the occasional Gadwall and Spooney, then got a Mallard drake and hen (suoer rare in Garwood), then finally the real starting coming in. All in all a fun morning.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
DDSO
AG
We were still covered in ice this morning at our regular spot but went 1 for 1 on woodies. Lots of birds in the air looking for open water. We went and scouted after the hunt and found a good spot along the creek where they are going after first light. We even heard our first mallards of the year this morning along the creek. Best part was being able to take my son on his first real duck hunt. Upshur County/Gregg County.
RO519
AG
Got some green this morning.
GBMont3
AG
3 hunters with a two man limit of widgeon and gadwall on the Brazos south of Graford this morning. Definitely seeking out open water.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Awesome. Congrats!
Bubba14
Insane amount of birds in North TX right now. Haven't seen a migratory push like this in years. Hunted the last week or so (only taking off on Christmas) and my group(s) have easily shot our limit every hunt, varying 3-7 guys. Mallards, pintail, wigeon, grays, and GWT.

Get out there and chase 'em while they're here.
FirefightAg
AG
This pond had quiete a few birds on it but some arrived 10 before legal

We dozed the obes that came back, except for an 8 pack of weidgon we whiffed on.

Did see some eagles on the way home

Aggieangler93
AG
We hunted Monday AM and it was tough in Central Texas on our pond. We had a few groups come in early and were letting a buddy who had just lost his wife, after a long battle with ALS, take the first shots. He ended up with 4. We had a nice group of 8 teal come in and whiffed on them. Our strap was 5 total with 2 gadwall drakes, 1 gadwall hen, and 2 ringnecks. Not terrible, but should have done better.

When we were picking up decoys and had 2 trucks parked in front of blind, a gadwall came in on a suicide mission dropping right into the spread. My buddy jacked in a shell and shot him dead. It was great to see someone get the sneaky guy that usually gets away because no one still has a shell in a chamber!

His English Lab sat on the seat between us the whole hunt and watched the decoys like a hawk. Just a great all around time in the blind.
Hewey Calloway
AG
Roughly where at in central Texas? I've seen some guys post about hunting in central Texas and the hill country. I've wanted to get more into duck hunting (I just love bird hunting period) but I'm trying to figure out how far I'd have to travel to get to get hunting. Or if it's necessary to travel much at all. I'm in Gillespie county and have places with water I can hunt around here but I've never seen or noticed many ducks in the area. Forgive my ignorance.
water turkey
Ducks will likely be on all the places with water. The ones with food will, of course be the best ponds. Those ponds can only take so much pressure though.

You will figure out the best spots through trial and error. My favorite part of duck hunting, scouting and patterning birds.

I hunted central texas ponds for 20 years. Had some incredible hunting on some of those ponds.
RO519
AG
Took the week off from work, snuck away and put a hurting on some birds. I hunted with some buddies from college Tuesday and Wednesday and got to spend this morning in the blind with my dad and my dog; there's way worse ways to spend a Thursday morning. Been a great week, but I'm exhausted.

Aggieangler93
AG
Hewey Calloway said:

Roughly where at in central Texas? I've seen some guys post about hunting in central Texas and the hill country. I've wanted to get more into duck hunting (I just love bird hunting period) but I'm trying to figure out how far I'd have to travel to get to get hunting. Or if it's necessary to travel much at all. I'm in Gillespie county and have places with water I can hunt around here but I've never seen or noticed many ducks in the area. Forgive my ignorance.
My family has some land near Elgin with stock ponds of decent size. We set up a blind on one of them. My son also has a buddy near the same area with family land and they built a small blind there. I haven't hunted any public lands, but I do agree that having water, and some grass helps. Our pond has grass all over the edges and moss etc, and the duck seem to like it.

Just wish the damned cows would quit trashing our blind.
Aggieangler93
AG
That looks like a week well spent to me! Get some rest for the next one.
angryocotillo
AG
Taking my 11 year old nephew on his first duck hunt tomorrow. I'm super excited about putting him on some. We'll see how his 75lb self handles 20 gauge duck loads for the first time. Fingers crossed
940Ag
AG
Anyone running a kayak for duck hunting? I used to have 17' War Eagle but sold it off a few years ago as I had opportunity to hunt private land.
I have a couple of spots that are backwater areas and can be accessed with a kayak. I have a YLM that I need to transport as well. Looked over Nucanoe specs and some others... and not opposed to a Momarsh type setup either.
Any advice is appreciated!
DDSO
AG
I have had a Nucanoe for several years. I have hunted flooded timber/back water with it many times. It is a barge but I really like. You probably won't go anywhere fast but it will carry you and your gear or an extra person. I have hunted with myself (180 pounds) and another guy (200 pounds) both sitting in it.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
lazuras_dc
AG
Had a fun hunt this morning on the coast had bukus of red head rafts fly over us. Got a limit of those and a couple pin tails and a blue bill to round out our morning.

Buddies retriever was worn out

Hundreds and hundreds of redheads

https://vimeo.com/785788606
Micropterus
AG
Went on a teal whackin the last few days. East AR Delta, we shot 24 Saturday, 42 yesterday (I didnt go), and 36 by 9:00 this morning. Saw mainly all big groups of teal this weekend, with a few more big ducks today. Big ducks were super call shy today (cloudy and foggy). We did shoot a few mallards and a gray duck, but teal made up most of the bag.

On a side note, had a mob of the young duck mafia hunting across the property line about 150 yards from us. 3 boats, 11 guys, no blind, not much cover, white baseball cap wearin skybustin fiends. 4 are in the boat running cripples and all of a sudden we hear Dude 1 say "Where's the dog?"
dude 2: "Huh?"
Dude 1: "Where's my dog?"
Dude 3: "Uh, he's under the boat"
Dude 1: "YOU RAN OVER MY @))$&%*! DOG!!!!"

5 minutes later, 2 are running the poor pup back to the bank to take it to (i presume) the vet. We're all just shakin our heads. Some dogs don't deserve their owners. Idiocy is real and it's out there running rampant folks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.