Outdoors
Sponsored by

Eyeguy's sunglass blowout and bug a salt buy!

42,377 Views | 301 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TheEyeGuy
Hewey Calloway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm assuming no good news on the Costa call yesterday?
AgEng06
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
On the phone with my rep now. I think I know what's going on. Hold fast for update.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Ok, so found what the problem was. Rep was trying to do me a solid but was making things worse. Long story short, the buy ended up being bigger than he or I expected it to be. Originally, I was talking to him about doing about 40-50 pair. It ended up being over 100 (those bought by you guys plus what was is going to be store stock). He freaked out and was pushing like hell to get me net terms and they wouldn't do it. Basically, I can buy now pay later. I NEVER do that. Business is too inconsistent to be able to do that. Was like, dude, I have cash on hand. Make it roll.

Just had a customer walk in. Will finish this up shortly.
AgEng06
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Ok, sorry, kept having customers come in... Getting crazy here.

So, long story short, should ship out tues/wed and be here end of next week or beginning of the week after. Already ordered and got in shipping boxes to get these out so we'll be running like crazy trying to pack these things up ASAP.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Oh, and before I forget, because the order was so large, my longterm price on these is about 2.5% less than it would have overwise been. Rather than dinking out a $5 refund to everyone on price because of that, I ordered a bunch of lanyards to go with them so every pair also has a lanyard coming with it.
Ragoo
AG
Appreciate the update, really do.

Thanks
Finn Maccumhail
AG
BigHead 04
AG
Nice work!

Thanks for the update!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Ragoo said:

Appreciate the update, really do.

Thanks
Ditto.
rossuvet12
12th Man Ag
AG
Thanks for the update!
Bazooka Joe
AG
Free lanyard. I'll take it!
W TX Refugee
Agmechanic
viper14
AG
YAS! Thanks for the update!
Random Ag
AG
I appreciate the update. That said, I know I'm going to sound like an ass, but receiving the product almost 90 days after payment is pretty bad. If this were any other business I would have cancelled the order and called my cc company. Just something to consider for the future.
cr0wbar
AG
Thanks Eyeguy!

For those perturbed - he runs a gun shop. If you wanted non discounted Costas without a free lanyard, you probably should've bought them online or from sunglass hut. Something to consider in the future, you know.

not to mention two hurricanes that crippled both houston and florida during the order process...
ratfacemcdougal
Hey random dude (dudette)....consider this.

He took orders for nearly a month, Harvey visited Texas and Houston was out of commission for a week or more, Irma hit Florida and Costa was out of commission for prob a week or more, mis-understanding on vendors side about size of order. From what I can tell, the store you bought your glasses from really had no part in the slow down. They did do an order for the store, so you might be able to cancel your and get your money back. From the outside, it looks like EyeGuy is giving the best customer service he can based on the circumstances.
Sazerac
AG
Will you be offering the same discount on the store stock?

Where are you located?
mmtexasace
AG
The fact of the matter is this: this is not the first occurrence where Eyeguy did not meet an order in a timely fashion. Every single time there seems to be some kind of excuse. While all may be true to change the circumstances, people should recognize a pattern. Yes, he is providing a product at a affordable price for his customers but he is also providing a service. That service is to provide the customer with a product requested in a timely manner. This also includes timely updates if there are circumstances that cannot be avoided. More often than not there is a gap in time where people have no idea what the status of their order is and have to constantly request an update. Look, we are all human (gasp) and make mistakes, however if the same issues occur repeatedly than there in lies the problem. This similiar situation has happened more than once. At this point people should recognize that anything ordered through the "group buys" will always take vastly longer to complete due to the repeated, known pattern. If you can't wait at least two months for anything ordered through the group buy than don't even bother because more often than not you will be an unsatisfied customer. I have learned my lesson from previous experience. So in conclusion, Eyeguy dropped the ball, apologized, completed orders. Rinse, repeat. If you don't like the time frame in which he took to complete this or any order at the price point he provided, than don't order from him again. If you liked the price point for the product and didn't mind waiting, than continue being a loyal customer. Just don't be surprised at the timeline for future group buys because it is a recurring theme.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Y'all some ungrateful sum*****es. Everybody ordering Costas knew it would take a while and there were some extenuating circumstances named Harvey and Irma.

I ordered a pair a day or so before he closed out the ordering and knew it would take a while. But he also offered them at about a 37% discount over retail and you'll still have the warranty from buying from an authorized dealer. Now, I also have other pairs of Costas and wasn't ordering these to be my primary sunglasses so the delay isn't a big deal to me.

But for all the griping, remember dude is doing everybody on here a favor. I've never done business with Texian before but from what I can tell, the next time they screw anybody over would be the first.

So all you guys whining,

RCR06
AG
Group buys always take longer, but there is usually a reason like discounted pricing why we agree to them in the first place. This probably longer than most. When you are a part of a group buy its not as if you go to the website order your item, pay, and then chose shipping. You are ordering knowing that the group order will be placed at a later date. I agree this one has been worse than others and looking back on it I'm sure there are some things eyeguy could have done differently, but there were also some things he had no control over.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
mmtexasace said:

The fact of the matter is this: this is not the first occurrence where Eyeguy did not meet an order in a timely fashion. Every single time there seems to be some kind of excuse. While all may be true to change the circumstances, people should recognize a pattern. Yes, he is providing a product at a affordable price for his customers but he is also providing a service. That service is to provide the customer with a product requested in a timely manner. This also includes timely updates if there are circumstances that cannot be avoided. More often than not there is a gap in time where people have no idea what the status of their order is and have to constantly request an update. Look, we are all human (gasp) and make mistakes, however if the same issues occur repeatedly than there in lies the problem. This similiar situation has happened more than once. At this point people should recognize that anything ordered through the "group buys" will always take vastly longer to complete due to the repeated, known pattern. If you can't wait at least two months for anything ordered through the group buy than don't even bother because more often than not you will be an unsatisfied customer. I have learned my lesson from previous experience. So in conclusion, Eyeguy dropped the ball, apologized, completed orders. Rinse, repeat. If you don't like the time frame in which he took to complete this or any order at the price point he provided, than don't order from him again. If you liked the price point for the product and didn't mind waiting, than continue being a loyal customer. Just don't be surprised at the timeline for future group buys because it is a recurring theme.
This is something that we have been constantly working on and is a known issue to me. Things have gotten significantly better on those lines, but it's always something that I'm looking to improve upon. The rudolph stuff and the BA barrels moved out very quickly. Flip side is that I just realized today/last night that my staff did not contact a couple of the 10/22s that we did last month. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on a lot of this as the group buys have always been a double edged sword. I can get you better pricing on a lot of things but they do take a while to develop. I try to give my best estimate on timeframes, but they are always estimates. On top of that, the store is at the point where I have to delegate a lot of things out to employees, all of which are new. They have been doing a very good job at coming along so far and they are getting better at this but they still have a way to go to be where I want them to be. Once Jabber gets back from his job training, his primary responsibility is Texags with an emphasis on the group buys. He'll be back in store for that in about twoish weeks. Then you guys have someone that is 100% dedicated to Texags orders. Another thing that I'm doing is tweaking how we offer certain things. For example, I have a really kickass AR15 package that we're about to put out there specifically for you guys. Our Houston Law Enforcement rifle (Which I usually charge $750 for) plus a magpul MOE stock, upgrade from keymod to mlok AND an AR223 scope with mount for $799. Before I put it out there, we are getting the rifles completed first. The scope mounts haven't quite made it in yet so I haven't posted it.

Trust me, I appreciate Texags and we would have had a much harder road without you guys. Have I made some mistakes? Unequivocally yes. I know that but am doing everything I can to fix problems after I see where they are. The costa order has been a nightmare and I apologize for that. Btw, if anyone does want to cancel their order, I'm cool with that. But the order is moving forward. And honestly, I do remember the initial costa order with the doctor's office being a slow one to develop as well, now that I think about it.
CharlieBrown17
AG
The BA buy was really quick, even with the hurricane issues. I ordered the last day it was open (Aug 21st I think) and barrels were in the store 3 weeks later, I picked mine up last weekend along with a new rifle he had gotten in from a distributor for me and held until I came in to grab the barrel.

I could've probably gotten the barrel quicker from another source but definitely not as cheap or with the same customer service I got from EyeGuy.
Ragoo
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

I ordered a pair a day or so before he closed out the ordering and knew it would take a while. But he also offered them at about a 37% discount over retail and you'll still have the warranty from buying from an authorized dealer. Now, I also have other pairs of Costas and wasn't ordering these to be my primary sunglasses so the delay isn't a big deal to me.

Similar. I have a pair of costas I wear. I don't need the glasses I ordered. I took the opportunity of the good discount to purchase a different style, one I probably wouldn't have bought otherwise. My only issue was the limbo of the order. I don't mind waiting just want to see a bit more communication. It probably would have also been nice to know the risks. I believe the initial communication was order before 8-1 glasses should be in 9-1 or so, but to find out that the vendor setup wasn't even initiated prior was a little concerning.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Conversations and the initial "this is what we're doing" was started before and all my paperwork was sent in before, but until finalized order is setup they don't move on it. If that makes sense.
Ragoo
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Conversations and the initial "this is what we're doing" was started before and all my paperwork was sent in before, but until finalized order is setup they don't move on it. If that makes sense.
I do understand. I work with vendors all the time during the account set up. NDAs, W-9s, banking information, etc. I understand the headache that this presents at times. Just noting that I didn't realize this was part of the purchase process until you mentioned the account set up sometime post Harvey. Would have tempered my timeline expectations if I had understood that as an obstacle from the beginning. Is all.

Note: I am not an unhappy customer. Just trying to give a little bit of feedback from my side.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Ragoo said:

TheEyeGuy said:

I do understand. I work with vendors all the time during the account set up. NDAs, W-9s, banking information, etc. I understand the headache that this presents at times. Just noting that I didn't realize this was part of the purchase process until you mentioned the account set up sometime post Harvey. Would have tempered my timeline expectations if I had understood that as an obstacle from the beginning. Is all.
Gotcha. Costa has a two-step approval process basically. First part is getting the rep out and showing this is who we are and what we do. If the rep feels we're a good fit, you get to move on to the next part. So, first part had already been done before the second part, which is why I gave the timeline. Other orders in the future will rock a lot faster and should have glasses in within a week or two.
Ragoo
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Ragoo said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Gotcha. Costa has a two-step approval process basically. First part is getting the rep out and showing this is who we are and what we do. If the rep feels we're a good fit, you get to move on to the next part. So, first part had already been done before the second part, which is why I gave the timeline. Other orders in the future will rock a lot faster and should have glasses in within a week or two.
appreciate the explanation and candor.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Ragoo said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Ragoo said:

TheEyeGuy said:

appreciate the explanation and candor.
No worries. Also, with costa, any future buys will be done in batches. I had to get ALLLLL of them in before this one. Price is now basically set so I can order in bundles of 5 or so and shorten the lead time on the orders.

I'll be perfectly blunt and honest, there are two basic types of group buys: me setting up accounts and me offering sales. Account setups like the costa one always take significantly longer. The first bug a salt order took forever. That's also where I'm doing the best prices because it is beneficial for all parties involved. You guys get a better price at the expense of taking a bit longer, we get longterm better pricing on things. Win/win. The second bug a salt buy was in and out pretty quick, except for the hurricane fubarring shipment. Rudolphs have been rocking in and out really fast. Those are generally out the day after we get them in.

In the future, I'll try to be more clear on just what type of buy it is. That definitely help let people know what to expect on time frames.
Ragoo
Sazerac
AG
Will you be offering the same discount on the store stock? Or can you special order for us?

Where are you located?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Group buy prices are always better than in store. Officially there is no discount on costa, but if you call and ask if I can give you a deal on one, I'm allowed to. Make sense?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.