Outdoors
Sponsored by

Eyeguy's sunglass blowout and bug a salt buy!

42,216 Views | 301 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TheEyeGuy
TheEyeGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Well. It's back! I know it's been literally about three years since I did my last sunglass group buy. Completely switching industries does change things a bit! However, I've had enough demand that we're going to bring in Costa del Mar sunglasses

When you call in, you'll need to ask for Justin (that's me) or Jonathan (jabberwalkie09) to get the hookup. Our phone number is 832-770-9358. As it is a group buy, it will take about 3-4 weeks to get these out once the order is placed. However, that is Jonathan's #1 responsibility and once they start coming in, that is what he will be 100% focused on to get these out as fast as possible. Depending on the number ordered, I really don't want to take more than 2-3 days to get everything boxed up and shipped out once they arrive.

Also, if you want to do some early Christmas shopping, the Outdoor board has bugged (no pun intended) me enough to do another order of bug-a-salts. For those that don't know, these are fly killing machines that are essentially a cross between a super soaker and a shotgun that is loaded with salt. These make excellent Christmas gifts or just fun things to have around. And they work! Why use a fly swatter when you can shoot flies with a shotgun? These are fully featured and even include working sights and a safety. I'm telling you, these things are fun!

Once I shut down the buy on these, they'll take about a week to get here. So, should be getting these out right before the sunglasses. Also, rather than having to call this in, you can order directly from our website. These usually run $55 for the camo ones we've got them rolling for $39!

Texian Firearms Link:
http://texianfirearms.com/catalog_detail.php?product_id=320244

87IE
AG
Thanks! 4 Bug A Salt's ordered!
Ezra Brooks
AG
Will the Costa's come as shown on the website? Case and cleaning cloth included?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Yes
MROD92
Is there a difference between plastic and glass re performance or simply some prefer the weight difference?
agingcowboy
AG
On the website ordering some bug a salts...not seeing an option to have them shipped. Is this a possibility?

Edited to say: I'm dumb, never mind it was right in front of my face...

2nd edit: 2 ordered! Thnx eyeguy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EFE
AG
Can you do scrips on the costas?
MattTheBrave
AG
To order the sunglasses, can we choose any model/frame that Costa has? Or is there a list on the Texian website that we need to order from?
BreNayPop
AG
3 bugasalts ordered!
BreNayPop
AG
Rx options????!!!
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
MROD92 said:

Is there a difference between plastic and glass re performance or simply some prefer the weight difference?
Glass vs poly..... Major differences, with one thing unique to Costa.

In general, glass has the best optics of any of the lens materials out there. It is going to be the absolute clearest lens available. It also is extremely hard so it's the most scratch resistant... especially if you're out fishing in salt water. It comes at a price, however, in that if you ever drop them on concrete, just go ahead and expect to buy new lenses as they can shatter. Plus they are significantly heavier.

Poly lenses are lighter and cheaper. If you want something just to wear to football games, the 580p lens may be the better option. I don't care who makes it, poly is on the lower end of optical clarity out there. It has a lot of light dispersion and what we call chromatic aberration. The majority of people do not have an issue with it and won't see a huge difference but the people who are into sunglasses will be bugged by poly. I know I am.

Costa specific benefits include color enhancements to the lenses, which are great, and then the glass lenses actually have the mirror coating inside the lens which helps with durability. That part is really cool.
ought1ag
AG
BreNayPop said:

Rx options????!!!
pretty sure i saw he couldnt do RX at this time
jeremy360
Bugasalt strong enough for wasp or just enough to make him mad??
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
jeremy360 said:

No idea, to be honest. never wanted to be that guinea pig...
Hulla Baller
AG
How much do costas run? I have never bought them before.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Hulla Baller said:

Between $150-$250 depending on frame and glass (580G) or poly (580P).... and TexAgs hook up.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Hulla Baller said:

Between $150-$250 depending on frame.... before TexAgs hook up.
Edit for the new guy
EFE
AG
jeremy360 said:

Yes, will knock his wings out out of service then have to switch to the ground game. I've only taken out single bogies, taking on a whole nest is more than I want to tempt fate.
lexofer
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

jeremy360 said:

No idea, to be honest. never wanted to be that guinea pig...
I royally pissed off a black widow and some wasps testing this a couple of weeks ago. With table salt it will not kill a tough spider or wasp.

I've been testing Kosher salt which has a larger grain with some success. Only issue is the Kosher salt I have has inconsistent grain size, I break apart the bigger pieces by hand which is a pain. Not as good of a pattern as the table salt but if one of the big grains hits the wasp it can take it down in one shot. Managed to shoot a wasp out of the air this weekend and killed a few in one shot. Need to figure out what has a consistent grain size that's larger than table salt.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
So our first ammunition venture is going to be wasp loads for bug a salts... I'll get cracking on it!
tamu2009
AG
whens the deadline. I need to find a place this weekend that has different pairs to figure out which ones i want.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
tamu2009 said:

whens the deadline. I need to find a place this weekend that has different pairs to figure out which ones i want.
Just a hair over two weeks. We'll say end of the month.
tamu2009
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

tamu2009 said:

Just a hair over two weeks. We'll say end of the month.
Perfect.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
jeremy360 said:

It will kill them you just need to get really close and you have to hit them...

Zumwalt601
AG
Can you get stringers 580G
Sazerac
AG
Where is a good place in houston to try Costas on in person first?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Any academy, bass pro, fishing tackle unlimited, sunglasses hit, etc.
Bert315
AG
Trying to decide between a fantail and Jose and then glass v poly. Have cabalitos with 580Gs and love them.

In for a couple of bug-a-salts.
FIDO*98*
AG
S&H on the Bug a Salt
Ezra Brooks
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

MROD92 said:

Glass vs poly..... Major differences, with one thing unique to Costa.

In general, glass has the best optics of any of the lens materials out there. It is going to be the absolute clearest lens available. It also is extremely hard so it's the most scratch resistant... especially if you're out fishing in salt water. It comes at a price, however, in that if you ever drop them on concrete, just go ahead and expect to buy new lenses as they can shatter. Plus they are significantly heavier.

Poly lenses are lighter and cheaper. If you want something just to wear to football games, the 580p lens may be the better option. I don't care who makes it, poly is on the lower end of optical clarity out there. It has a lot of light dispersion and what we call chromatic aberration. The majority of people do not have an issue with it and won't see a huge difference but the people who are into sunglasses will be bugged by poly. I know I am.

Costa specific benefits include color enhancements to the lenses, which are great, and then the glass lenses actually have the mirror coating inside the lens which helps with durability. That part is really cool.
This has me really confused on which direction to go.

I'm coming from a pair of Oakley A-Wires (no longer in production) which I'm pretty sure are poly. They show their wear, but they've seen a lot of miles.

I doubt I'll notice the optical differences between the two, so it's really a scratch resistant issue but the thought of shattering/cracking Glass has me a bit scared - I take care of my glasses, but don't want to be too scared to wear them...

AgEng06
AG
Get the glass. The optics are much better (I have had the Costa 400P, 580P, and 580G.), and I have dropped mine several times without breakage. Yes, they will break, but it's not like they are eggshell fragile.
Ezra Brooks
AG
That's the way I'm leaning.

Struggling to find the frames that look the best
Killin Me Smalls
AG
1 bug-a-salt ordered!
DrippinAg
S
Can you guys get your hands on a PTR-32 KFR (Gen2). Asking for a friend.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
DrippinAg said:

Can you guys get your hands on a PTR-32 KFR (Gen2). Asking for a friend.
http://texianfirearms.com/product.ptr91-ptr-32-kfm4r-semi-automatic-rifle-762x39-16-barrel-black-finish-m4-6-position-stock-30rd-tactical-handguard-w1-6-rail-welded-scope-mount-removable-58x24-flash-hider-1-30rd-magazine-85

That one?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.