Outdoors
Sponsored by

Alone - Season 3

36,909 Views | 272 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BCO07
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dlance said:

CrottyKid said:

Seems like more people are still in it at this point. They can't really show every one of 7 people on every episode. It would need to be a 2 hour episode each week.

Yep, 7 left and we're almost to the same point as the season one winner. As far as camera time, besides the fact the getting all seven in would allow only six minutes per person, I bet most of them are doing a lot of resting and there isn't a ton of interesting content being made at this point.

I am really curious how long they make it now. This is feeling like maybe 90-100 days.
jobu93
AG
Those spider bites don't look good. I really like Callie. Her shelter is one of the nicest I've seen.
Bregxit
AG
Well that sucks for Greg but I am glad he tapped before he lost his faculties and had something bad happen or died out there.

Five left about to pass the season 2 day total and they all look pretty strong still. Glad Callie's bites are healing. If Dave starts getting hogs he'll be tough to outlast and it looks like he may be close.
OldCamp
Anybody who made it past 50 days out there deserves credit and has proved themselves as a capable survivor in my book.

Callie is still my favorite.

I feel like that is the first time they have even shown Megan.

Greg was looking pretty bad and From previews it looks like Dave is in bad shape. Wonder if he will get pulled by staff

rhtexfish
AG
These peoples skills are ridiculous. Love the show. Want to see somebody catch/kill a big land animal. Glad Callie is healing. Botany knowledge sure is handy.
ursusguy
AG
Still wish Callie would have jabbed those things.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Callie has a freaking palace. If she can get some real protein, look out. First hog or fox is going to really set someone up for the long haul. Megan and Fowler are the most susceptible with the family angle now.

CrottyKid
AG
Yep. Megan and Fowler are toast.
If Dave doesn't get a boar in the next 4 or 5 days, he is toast.
Callie is in the lead.
Carleigh just keeps plodding. If she could get a goose, she would catapult up the leaderboard.

Sad for Greg. He has to be so depressed going back to drywall, but he did the right thing, and his daughter will still be proud of him.
I Drink Your Milkshake
AG
Man if they had a fund to get Greg's daughter that house I would be contributing. Really like him...maybe it's his humility and his acceptance of his fate when he tapped out. "Well, time to go drywall until I'm dead"
I Drink Your Milkshake
AG
Also thought it was funny Fowler probably exerted 100-200 calories to catch a 20 calorie bird. His inability to stop doing may end him. But he was also pretty chunky to start vs a guy like Dave who showed up very lean and is now withering away.
CrottyKid
AG
Heck. He burned more calories than the bird was worth doing ninja moves with his homemade rake.
jobu93
AG
That bird was more a mental win than anything.
ursusguy
AG
One thing about, none of them are really preserving anything significant, plant or animal. With winter coming on, several of their typical food sources are about to go bye-bye. They are already food stressed. Staying warm while effectively starving will kick in for all of them eventually. "Fat" guy may be able to starve a little longer.
A.G.S.
AG
One of the options for the 10 items was 5lbs of salt if I recall correctly. Wouldn't be of much use unless they could get any big game though.

Realistically speaking, how easy would it have been for the guys on S1&2 to make their own salt stockpiles off of sea water? I would imagine it would take a lot of boiling to get a small amount, but it could be useful.
jobu93
AG
Things will progress very quickly once the snow sets in. There will be lots of extract calls quickly IMO.

I think all of their lodgings have the tarp as a roof... A heavy, wet snow will cave that in, right?
Aggieangler93
AG
I think Norwegians use salt to preserve fish. Could have been helpful here. I am not 100% sure on that.

After never seeing an episode, my wife and I binge watched seasons 1 and 2. Now we are caught up....and get tired of waiting. My money is on Callie if the spiders let up.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
ursusguy
AG
Salt and smoke would go a long way, but we are talking about way more fish than any of them have managed to catch. Plain a simple, for cold you need calories and really need fat calories.
Thisguy1
I said this earlier in the thread, but the secondary food source is going to win the comp. If someone gets a boar they may as well cut them the check.

Does anyone know how many episodes are left?
dave99ag
AG
Season 1 - 11 episodes (Winner - 56 days)
Season 2 - 13 episodes (Winner - 66 days)
Season 3 - 7 episodes so far and I think they were right around 60 days at the end of the episode.
ursusguy
AG
Big boar is cool, and long as you can preserve it. The cold will help, but not perfectly until it is consistently cold.
A.G.S.
AG
Can wild hogs be safely turned into pemmican? I've only done it with beef and venison, but I wasn't sure if that'd be enough of a process for hogs.
Bregxit
AG
ursusguy said:

Salt and smoke would go a long way, but we are talking about way more fish than any of them have managed to catch. Plain a simple, for cold you need calories and really need fat calories.

A 5lb bag of salt isn't going to cure a whole lot of fish. You generally need 20% of the fish weight in salt so you'd be looking at 25 lbs tops and salt cured fish doesn't keep more than a couple of weeks.

Smoking gets you a few days of preservation. Drying would be best but it is tough to dry fatty fish like they are getting. Fatty fish have a good chance to go rancid before drying out.
ursusguy
AG
I don't have a good answer for that.

There may be another reason you don't see a significant effort being made on pigs (until they start getting desperate), pigs in Patagonia have a really high rate of Trichinella infection (like 1 in 5 in some areas). Keep in mind freezing it doesn't really do anything (at least at temperatures they can reach). Cook the tar out of it and you are fine. This sorta creates a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.....and if I'm the producer, like the don't jack with the rodents due to Hanta virus issues, I'd play that up big time if for no other reason than psychological pressure.
A.G.S.
AG
Hmm.... I didn't know trichinella was that prevalent down there. It seems like that would have been mentioned by now, with multiple contestants actively trying to obtain a boar. It also seems like if it was that prevalent it would likely be in the foxes that they keep trying to get.

It was interesting that they nobody mentioned anything about the hanta virus early on though, so maybe they are saving that little gem until someone actually gets a piggie.

I just checked the CDC website, and it mentioned that a lot of the trichinosis in recent years was from homeade jerky, so I guess drying and salting wouldn't be enough. However, if you could adequately dry it, and store it in its own rendered fat, it would seem that you could still thoroughly cook it at a later date and kill off the parasites. Even with the pemmican I make, generally if its over a year old I'll cook it in a skillet or something before I eat it. May not be necessary, but its better safe than sorry, and it goes great with scrambled eggs.
DuckDown2013
AG
Thisguy1 said:

I said this earlier in the thread, but the secondary food source is going to win the comp. If someone gets a boar they may as well cut them the check.

Does anyone know how many episodes are left?

Yep. I think it comes down to food unless other people start getting hypothermia and can't stay any longer.
I would love to see any of these people win, but Callie is freaking awesome and I also love Fowler. I think Fowler might be the best overall survivalist since he is a genius when it comes to making traps and what not, but the pull to get back to his family might hurt him.

Based on how few episodes we have had and how few people are left, a couple people must be going to stay a lot longer.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I was impressed with the rock mouse trap, and it actually worked. I think I could last a max of 2 weeks before I'd want out of there.
Post removed:
by user
ought1ag
AG
Am I the only one who thinks the producers make them talk up the terrors of boars? "OMG boar scat.....we need to be really careful" They are not going to come after you unless you corner them or get between their young....which they would probably break and run as soon as they saw you so that seems unlikely. Its not like a big cat that could potentially hunt you/hit you with the surprise attack.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Where can I binge watch the first two seasons?
ursusguy
AG
If you have never been around feral hogs, you would likely have the view that they are way more dangerous than they actually are (look how many people on the OB can't go in the woods without being armed because of hogs). Plant the seed that there are wild pigs around, you may not need much get people talking about how dangerous feral hogs are. I deal with feral hogs and people's perceptions of feral hogs, literally everyday (about 25% of my job), and redneck views/information on hogs is a constant battle.
A.G.S.
AG
Hey now, I'm not armed cause they're dangerous. I'm armed cause they're delicious.

I have been hit, bit, and run up trees multiple times, but every time I (and my actions) was a contributing factor.
ursusguy
AG
This is very true, they are very tasty.

kdm_01
AG
I watched the first two seasons with the history channel app. It was free to watch once you logged on with your cable providers info.
Thisguy1
One thing the snow should do is identify good spots for hunting and putting out snares/traps.
htxag09
AG
About halfway through this episode. Not a fan of the showing the boat and backtracking. Very odd and inconsistent with other episodes.

Also, had 0 idea dave had so much fish preserved. Impressive.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.