Outdoors
Sponsored by

Alone - Season 3

36,869 Views | 272 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BCO07
OldCamp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

In other news, how do you convince his wife to live in the bush in some busted up trailers and tarps?
They are hippies.
But now they are hippies with +/- $300,000 (after taxes) to build an awesome off the grid homestead.
Shelton98
AG
It may be the first time he's ever had to file his taxes.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Fairview said:

I also think they would last longer if they started in the Spring instead of Fall because Winter rolling in always seems to reduce the food supply pretty fast.
As cool as it would be for us, I don't think the producers want the competition to last 200 days. The camera and support crew logistics would have to be tripled at a minimum based on a couple of people like the final four in this season.
ursusguy
AG
Coming into winter separates the contestants pretty fast.

I would intentionally choice a location that is going to start out with lots of fish and small game, but drop to damn near nothing due to fall migration. Something where they are borderline forced to watch as large flock fly away.

Something with lots of venomous snakes around would be fun. Large predators get into the psyche a lot of competitors, but the potential for highly venomous snakes could take it to a whole new level. I'm thinking parts of China or India.

Granted, I think Kamchatka would be cool too, but very similar to the previous season visually.
Max Power
AG
Season 4 in Australia would be awesome, but that's way more dangerous, crocs, snakes, and spiders that are all scary as hell. Would need people with tons of experience to consider that though.
California Ag 90
AG
IMO next season should have at least some sustained food sources. agree that a migration away from one food source (per ursus post) would be good, but this essentially turned into a starvation contest given they weren't permitted to hunt rodents, and even the rare deer in the area were off limits. the contestant with the biggest fat reserves at the beginning held out the longest.

not sure its possible to pick a location like that but the last couple episodes were not that interesting as we waited to see who would starve the fastest.

Ducks4brkfast
AG
You need folks with little survival skills.

No food source like this season = a starvation contest.

Make a good source semi-readily available and you'll have folks out there forever.
CrottyKid
AG
Congrats to Fowler. He won by tko.

I want to see them do this in the jungle where instead of winter, the rainy season comes.
Fairview
AG
Tony Franklins Shoe said:

Fairview said:

I also think they would last longer if they started in the Spring instead of Fall because Winter rolling in always seems to reduce the food supply pretty fast.
As cool as it would be for us, I don't think the producers want the competition to last 200 days. The camera and support crew logistics would have to be tripled at a minimum based on a couple of people like the final four in this season.
I agree. Pain in the ass for them but I think it would be interesting to see what the mental effects are at 120 or 180 days. Would they settle in or go crazy? Right now the same formula just keeps replaying.

Hopefully they do change it up in other ways like others have suggested (rainforest or something) since having them last significantly longer isn't happening.
wessimo
AG
Fowler was way chunkier at the beginning, which probably went a long ways to out lasting Carleigh in the starvation contest. If I found out I was going on the show I'd be eating nonstop prior to the start. Body fat is a "free" personal item.
CrottyKid
AG
Yeah. I suggested that it might come down to medical tap outs. It did. Sucks, really.
Bird Poo
AG
This show really illustrates how far removed modern society is from primitive living.

We have superior tools for fishing and hunting, unlimited knowledge of shelter building and skills such as fishing, hunting, and gathering. Why is it we cannot thrive, or even survive? I wonder if its the security of knowing they can call a sat phone and immediately go back to the comforts of modern living. If this were an all out survival situation, perhaps the approach to surviving would be different?

If not for guns and germs, the Comanches would have kicked our asses out of the US.
dave99ag
AG
Alone is a game with parameters. True survival wouldn't keep you in a small area that each of them have to remain in. I'm fairly certain most of the contestants would be perfectly fine if they didn't have producers limiting them for the sake good TV.
ursusguy
AG
True, but would kill the psychological pressure of boredom. I like the psychological pressure aspect.
Bird Poo
AG
dave99ag said:

Alone is a game with parameters. True survival wouldn't keep you in a small area that each of them have to remain in. I'm fairly certain most of the contestants would be perfectly fine if they didn't have producers limiting them for the sake good TV.

Good point. But I wondered why most of them hardly moved from the same fishing spot when I thought the rules stated you could...
Bregxit
AG
dave99ag said:

I also think having to lug around cameras and set up shots takes a considerable amount of time and energy. Remove that and assuming in a real survival scenario there would be no limits on what game you could take, I think they do much better.
Bregxit
AG
kayakag said:

dave99ag said:

Good point. But I wondered why most of them hardly moved from the same fishing spot when I thought the rules stated you could...
Most of them were pretty much locked in to one area due to terrain. They might have a few hundred yards of lakefront to choose from and that's it.
Apache
AG
Quote:

If this were an all out survival situation, perhaps the approach to surviving would be different?
That endangered deer wandering around would be toast. As would the wild hogs, geese and fox.
I don't believe for a second that those folks who survived out there for months did not have the ability to catch or kill those creatures.

Bait the hogs with fish guts, shoot with bow. Same with the fox.
Gather seeds, bait geese & kill with judo points, a bola or even a stick.
Set out 25 drop lines of varying lengths & depths, bait with grubs.

Instead these folks made chairs, drums, chess sets and carved out enough wooden cutlery to stock Bed Bath & Beyond.

It's pretty easy to armchair quarterback these things, but I think they were under "orders" to starve.

I was impressed with their ability to gather local forage though. I'm assuming they were either instructed on that prior to going out or had forehand knowledge of where they were going so they could study.
ursusguy
AG
Never been there, but I know enough botany that when they pan there were plants that peaked my interest. Knowledge of plants is a good thing.
Apache
AG
There are some basics for sure that are pretty easy. Oaks, Pines, most grasses, thistles, mallows, dandelions, cattails are some that everyone should know. These folks were chowing on fungi which is waaay outta my comfort level. Maybe if I studied them it wouldnt seem so impressive. I have a fear of going full Chavez in Young Guns. I don't wanna see giant chickens.
A.G.S.
AG
I think you're disqualified if ya go in to the spirit world.
BrazosDog02
AG
I am bored with the people they select. Outdoorsy, survivalists, instructors, people who live in cold climates....

Let's get some regular people in...Like a middle manager for Exxon, or the walmart door greeter, or the cashier at REI. I want to see what people with little or basic skills can do to survive with the carrot of 500k having in front of them. I want to see something more akin to true survival from people who actually could end up in that situation. They have had a few prior service people....That doesn't impress at all.
aggiepaintrain
AG
all of those people you listed would tap out in 3 days tops, I am sure the producers have thought this through.
I do think most fans do not want to see people starve to death going forward.

mpl35
AG
prize money is too high. You have 1/2 a million on the line, people are going to stay until they starve literally. I think a lower sum, that is nice, but not too much would make a difference.
BrazosDog02
AG
Then put the people I said and make the prize 800k. I want more entertainment. Starvation is boring.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Then put the people I said and make the prize 800k. I want more entertainment. Starvation is boring.
Increase the number to 20 people in your example, give them more resources and a smaller area where they might have interaction. Now it's a real competition for food sources and shelter. Have random cameras hidden in the woods to disqualify any of them working together.

There is something fascinating for me when they are experience, but I see your angle of making it like joe computer programmer having to deal with Mama Nature.
ursusguy
AG
I've taken a bunch of those type of people in the woods, and most wouldn't last more than a week. Even the folks who pretty well know what they were doing made periodic mistakes. You'd probably end up with more creative means of having medical evacuations.

I like the steady decline in food resources. Then again, the skills aspect does little for me, but I do like the psychological pressure.

They should do a hybrid between Naked and Afraid and Alone. Say half the gear of Alone, but the locations of Naked and Afraid....plus a set of clothing. Granted, they might not be filming very long.
dave99ag
AG
I wonder if any of the producers for Alone worked with Les Stroud and his Survivorman show. Similar concept except Les only had to go a week.
BCO07
AG
dave99ag said:

I wonder if any of the producers for Alone worked with Les Stroud and his Survivorman show. Similar concept except Les only had to go a week.

The one where he was somewhere above the arctic circle was hilarious. Dude made a crappy igloo and ended up so delirious his plan to get food was to set a bone next to him, wait for a bird, and then grab it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.