Outdoors
Sponsored by

Alone - Season 3

36,892 Views | 272 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BCO07
TheVarian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So far I'm betting on Callie. Maybe Britt
TheVarian
AG
ursusguy said:

There are plenty of cougars in Patagonia.
Ursus, if you were there, what would your tactic be for scaring away predators like that? Would it be the same as saying "hey bear" or do Pumas not spook that easily?
Presley OBannons Sword
Callie is pretty crunchy, but she seems pretty competent and was surprisingly likeable.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Final four for me is the two old guys, the young guy, and Callie the herbalist. Too many other people have young kids and I don't see them lasting. I don't know that it is mostly about food if they are able to bring down a big animal. The woman last season was putting salmon back into the water and finally broke over the kids if I 'member right.

I guess I would go with the young guy just because he seems to be the least tied down to anyone emotionally.
AG
Lots of them took food rations. I would think you either figure things out pretty quick and scavenge some food or you are toast anyway. I think you would have gorged as much as possible as late as possible, skip the rations and pick items that will be with you long term.
AggiePride07
AG
After watching the first and specifically the second season most people that brought the rations in season 2 seemed to do it for the reason of the early part of their journey so while they're setting up a good camp they also don't have to look for food and have to worry about burning off too many calories without replenishing them.

I think the rations people bring aren't specifically for late in their journey when things get tough, but mainly for the earlier part while they're setting up camp.
AggiePride07
AG
Edit: Sort of a spoiler below for season 2 *******

To my knowledge they aren't required to stay specifically where they are dropped off. In season 2 "Larry" moved his location and it ended up being the best thing for him as he made it further. Had he not moved he woulda been out faster as his initial location was a tough spot for him.

They drop off the contestants in locations that are supposed to be not passable to where other contestants are placed due to natural barriers (mountains, bodies of water, etc. ) At least that's the thought.

AG
AggiePride07 said:

so while they're setting up a good camp they also don't have to look for food and have to worry about burning off too many calories without replenishing them.

And that is exactly why I would tap out, didn't think of that. But at least I would go a full week.

I too can't see getting so stoked, going through trials, getting picked, getting briefed, and then travelling there only to be gone in a couple of days.
ursusguy
AG
Honestly, cougars aren't that big a deal. Once you acknowledge their presence, they aren't that hard to run off. On the off chance you had an altercation, most likely you will successfully fight it off.

I would love the challenge to try, but I can honestly say I couldn't do it while my son is still young. The outdoor skills and eventually finding something to munch on part doesn't bother me, not knowing what is going on with Jr would bug me.
Bregxit
AG
ursusguy said:

Honestly, cougars aren't that big a deal. Once you acknowledge their presence, they aren't that hard to run off. On the off chance you had an altercation, most likely you will successfully fight it off.

I would love the challenge to try, but I can honestly say I couldn't do it while my son is still young. The outdoor skills and eventually finding something to munch on part doesn't bother me, not knowing what is going on with Jr would bug me.

Yep. And there is also the difference between "have to" and "want to" as far as staying out there. I think when you know you can just push a button and go home it makes it a lot harder to stay when that first doubt or worry sets in.
BMCaginLTX
After watching last season I think it's clear that straight up toughness goes even farther than skill and ability, after about day 30. I think the drywaller might have a good shot
CrottyKid
AG
Yeah. Not wanting to keep your crappy job can help, too.
I want the accountant guy (Britt?) to work out, just because he seems unlikely to succeed based on background.

I want Callie to do well. I mean, you set up the camera and immediately go skinny dipping? I am sure the editors were like, "Hello!" I just wonder if she will build a more permanent shelter soon enough.
John Cocktolstoy
I am rooting for the out of work trapper guy. The Alone Show worker who was doing evaluations said he was the biggest guy and would have a hard time keeping up his calories...he is forgetting season one! I like the trapping skills he has and that may get him further into the game.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
ursusguy
AG
I'll go with the biologist (hey, she did grizzly work) and the young hippy from Canada.
Maverick06
AG
Did I miss an episode? Watched the premier and I thought they only introduced 4-5 of the people.

Wth?
Bregxit
AG
Maverick06 said:

Did I miss an episode? Watched the premier and I thought they only introduced 4-5 of the people.

Wth?

There was a "Making the cut" episode that introduced everyone. I didn't watch it either.
ursusguy
AG
I just read the profiles, and went digging further on ones that struck my interest.
TxFig
AG
The survival skills required just aren't that hard - comparatively speaking. Anyone who can get past the selection process is going to have enough survival skills to make it. This is NOT the key to the show.

The key to making it on this show is being able to tolerate being alone for months on end. Those who have family, especially young kids or recently married or in a new relationship, basically have no shot.

For this reason, my money is on the herbalist lady (if what she said about being alone is true).
John Cocktolstoy
TxFig said:

The survival skills required just aren't that hard - comparatively speaking. Anyone who can get past the selection process is going to have enough survival skills to make it. This is NOT the key to the show.

The key to making it on this show is being able to tolerate being alone for months on end. Those who have family, especially young kids or recently married or in a new relationship, basically have no shot.

For this reason, my money is on the herbalist lady (if what she said about being alone is true).
I would agree on the above all except that part about anyone getting past the selection process.
I think the ten that are picked in the selection process are picked very selectively. And what I mean is that 5 are competitors and 5 are just not going to be there long term. This show is not going to pick ten of the best and have to wait for a year to have a winner...or maybe longer. I think some of these folks are picked because they have loved ones back home and some sort of heart wrenching future they are missing out on.
I think someone said earlier if you could get all the past survivalist guys and gals from other shows and get them to do a season of Alone...it would be a good one...but we might be waiting for a long time for it to end. But I think that would be a good show to watch. My bet would be on Les.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
rtsingleton
AG
I think les could do it physically but he loves his family and loves touring with his music/storytelling. Might be a similar situation to some of the others that leave the show.
Aggie Infantry
AG
Interesting insight: Ref - picking folks that the producers know will quit early. Might be a cost factor involved. 10 folks out there for 6 months requires X number of support folks. 5 requires Y...
mpl35
AG
Aggie Infantry said:

Interesting insight: Ref - picking folks that the producers know will quit early. Might be a cost factor involved. 10 folks out there for 6 months requires X number of support folks. 5 requires Y...
. It really is. Never considered it. For long term, you'd think loners would dominate. But they pick people with young kids.
CrottyKid
AG
Let's make a competing show where the season runs a full year.
We pick only loners and/or homeless people.
htxag09
AG
I feel like that could turn into the last one living.
CrottyKid
AG
You are probably right. They might just chunk that tapout phone into the lake.
jobu93
AG
Sweet! Watching it now and setting up for recording...
Presley OBannons Sword
Anyone watching tonight? Thoughts?
Bregxit
AG
Greg is my leader in the clubhouse at the moment. Loner, no family to worry about, goes on long camping trips in 30 below weather for fun. Seems to have his stuff together 8 days in.

Poor Zach had no chance. He had fire, shelter, water but didn't actively seek food and instead got focused on side projects. Eight days and no protein. Glad he got to tap due to injury though and save face.

Biologist lady will start missing her kids I think. She was crying on her way down the driveway.

Crazy Utah guy will do well also I think.

So far I am actively rooting for Britt. Just something really likeable about him and I want to see him do well.
Presley OBannons Sword
I think Greg is definitely in the lead from the little that we know. Seems capable, and being a loner will help a lot.

Zach totally hammed up what looked like a minor cut in order to get out of there. Definitely did himself in by focusing on carrying bamboo all over the place while his half assed attempt at fishing failed. He had good shelter, and choosing to focus on that silly heat reflecting shield or whatever it was instead of looking for protein was a horrible decision.

Havent seen much of the granola chick, but she seems pretty solid.

Agreed on Britt, he's my favorite so far.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Crazy Utah guy is pretty much unwatchable.
He may ruin it.
A.G.S.
AG
Zach pooning out was no surprise. As soon as his fish trap came up emtpy, he said "well, nothing I can do now."

And I still have a good feeling about Fowler. He's got a couple young kids and a wife, but so far he (well the show) hasn't shown much where its affecting him.

Anybody else wanna sign up next year?
AG
Yeah, I had Zach going a lot farther. He never showed a really good closeup of the wound like the woman did last season. I think you are right, it turned into a good excuse to tap.
Fairview
AG
First off, running around in that thick of forest in the rain with a knife in one hand and an axe in the other both unsheathed after 8 days of no protein is beyond stupid. Add to that it was for a dumbass heat shield and it was pretty clear he wasn't lasting long.

When he was walking back he said "I'm losing function in my hand" and then when you saw the cut briefly it was stupid. He totally used that as his excuse.

mpl35
AG
His fish trap was big enough for a healthy minnow.
AG
mpl35 said:

His fish trap was big enough for a healthy minnow.
Ha, the wife said the exact same thing and her definition of camping is Holiday Inn.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.