Outdoors
Sponsored by

Alone - Season 3

36,887 Views | 272 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BCO07
CrottyKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Callie's got it going on, and she uses less calories for daily living than the bigger men.
The skinny guy who smiles all the time is already borderline insane.
Bird Poo
AG
CrottyKid said:

Callie's got it going on, and she uses less calories for daily living than the bigger men.
The skinny guy who smiles all the time is already borderline insane.
I knew this when that idiot brushed his teeth with charcoal from the campfire. Supposedly used to whiten teeth but it looks nasty.

aggiepaintrain
AG
The trapper will win.
CrottyKid
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

The trapper will win.

Maybe, but he seems to be overly positive to mask his lack of confidence.

If Fowler can get some caloric intake and get over the hump, he has that nice shelter set up.
kdm_01
AG
Seems like the producers have done a good job casting an overall stronger group than previous seasons. After 35ish days to only have 3 gone home seems a lot better, to the best of my memory.
And the way the show is skipping days at a time at least gives me a feeling this could go on 4-6 months.
Anybody start a pool for the duration of winners stay?
Thisguy1
Whoever can find a secondary food source past the fish will win. Fishing is already slowing down for everyone since it's getting colder and people are really starting to struggle.

I really want someone to get a boar. It would be the biggest score in the show's history that I can remember.
Bregxit
AG
Thisguy1 said:

Whoever can find a secondary food source past the fish will win. Fishing is already slowing down for everyone since it's getting colder and people are really starting to struggle.

I really want someone to get a boar. It would be the biggest score in the show's history that I can remember.

I dunno, Alan's banana slugs were pretty stout!
plowboy1065
S
Refresh my memory, what's the longest the winner has stayed in season 1 & 2?
Thisguy1
I want to say it was only something like 52 days.
Presley OBannons Sword
I wonder how long Alan could have made it.
Bregxit
AG
plowboy1065 said:

Refresh my memory, what's the longest the winner has stayed in season 1 & 2?
Season 1 - 56 days
Season 2 - 66 days
DuckDown2013
AG
The second food source is a great point. If Greg can get over this forthcoming hypothermia (showed in next weeks episode preview) , I think he has a good shot with the raft and accessing a stream for fishing, but the raft is just begging for an accidental swim.

I really hope fowler can hang in there. I enjoy watching him. He is very intelligent.

But as mentioned it kind of looks like the trapper's race to lose- but we will see if his attitude changes as he has family and kids back home.
DuckDown2013
AG
And Callie fooled me good. She has got it going on.

It's going to get serious really soon as winter sets in. I expect them to start dropping like flies when it's snowing every day.
Fairview
AG
Bamboo is the duct tape of Patagonia. They can use it for anything out there.
ursusguy
AG
After the mention of the restriction of not eat the rodents, that may really end up restricting the skills the trapper may have on the food front.
Hobbes01
AG
I was going to wait for the season to end before binge watching (I hate waiting between episodes), but decided to start anyway. Finally caught up.

Doesn't help that Dan (trapper) mentioned he isn't even bothering to setup traps. That really surprised me.

That hill is going to be the end of Zach. Really wonder why early on he didn't wake up one morning, pack up his temporary shelter and relocate to a flatter, sunnier side of the lake, ala Larry in season 2. Granted, hauling his pack is one thing; hauling all that camera gear and spare batteries would be another challenge in itself (they really give these folks a year supply of batteries?!).

I too fell for Callie's false-quitting - not the phone call of course, but leading up to it. Thought she was pulling a Mike Lowe - well setup for the long haul but then bailed almost out of boredom. Great show.
Bregxit
AG
Zach's axe was the end of Zach. But yeah, Fowler may have made a strategic error with the hill. Now that the shelter is done though, if he scores some food quick he may be okay.
Hobbes01
AG
Doh...still trying to get all the names down and was looking at History channel's website for the cast list. Turns out Fowler's first name is also Zach - so technically I was right!
GatorAg03
AG
I wonder if they deliberately pick places without significant small game populations for this show to keep the PETA types happy. Has there been any fur bearing animal killed in any of the seasons? The largest thing I remember besides fish is a mouse. I don't even think anyone has ever caught and ate a bird, much less a furbearer.
Bregxit
AG
GatorAg03 said:

I wonder if they deliberately pick places without significant small game populations for this show to keep the PETA types happy. Has there been any fur bearing animal killed in any of the seasons? The largest thing I remember besides fish is a mouse. I don't even think anyone has ever caught and ate a bird, much less a furbearer.
I doubt the PETA types play any role in the location decision. Alone is competing in the same space as Naked and Afraid, and plenty of stuff has been killed on that show over the years.

I think a few factors are at play here.

Both Vancouver Island and Patagonia locations put the contestants between rocky hill/mountains and lakes. I think this is to keep them from venturing out too far and running into each other. Being limited to a small area they are at the mercy of wildlife happening to hang around once they arrive.

Both locations have medium to large predators in the area they are competing with. Bears and puma.

Successfully trapping fur bearing animals with primitive snares and other devices is way more difficult than one would think. Just look at Greg's difficulties captured on camera with the fox. He isn't even getting a chance because the fox just keeps stealing his baits and disarming his traps.

Finally, all three seasons take place as winter is setting in. Animals are hunkering down for the cold.
GatorAg03
AG
I'm not saying it's easy, but in three seasons and with the experience these guys have you would think something would be trapped by now if their was a decent population and effort made. I mean even the dude who is a trapper says it's not worth the effort. Between all the contestants they have spent well over a years worth of days outside and not a single furbearer or bird was captured, despite near starving conditions?

Deadfall traps would be somewhat effective in most the continental US for example. I used to set them and catch rabbits, squirrels and birds as a kid. Not saying it's easy, but very doable.

I agree winter slows down animals, but they are there almost two months with zero snow on the ground. The animals definitely aren't hunkered down for the winter that early and that whole time.

I really think they are encouraged not to kill game or are deliberately placed in areas that have very low populations.
ursusguy
AG
I would intentionally put them in low prey population areas, play up zoonotic issues, and randomly mention poisonous plants....just to ratchet up the psychological issues.
SharkinAg
AG
Glad the trapper is out.
California Ag 90
AG
nasty ****er ...

http://www.thechilepages.com/chilean-recluse-spider/

it'll suck if Callie has to bail over a spider bite. she's a trip and one of the likely last standing if she recovers from this.
toolshed
AG
She got a FISH!!
Bregxit
AG
I am curious if she does recover (and hope she does). I think it was day 47 when she reported the swollen glands and started her farewell to the site. The episode ended on day 50 or 51 and she had not left yet. She is a tough chick.
ursusguy
AG
I just wanted to see her lance those things.
Bregxit
AG
ursusguy said:

I just wanted to see her lance those things.
Leave me out of it.
CrottyKid
AG
Forget the lancing part. I just want to help her recover when she gets stateside.

I'm glad Kayleigh or whatever her spelling is got a fish.

The preview of the next episode makes it look like the drywaller (Greg?) cannot recover from hypothermia.
I am very interested in Callie's outcome and whether Fowler can get over the hump.
They haven't really showed the other woman much, but if she takes down that fox and eats it, I will be very happy.
That crazy dude that smiles all the time is at least drying some fish, and it looks like he'll do some bow hunting in the next episode.
If someone could make a legit raft and go bow fishing, they might turn the tide on the fish.

Overall, don't you think that if you made it to day 50, you could talk yourself into making it 20 more days for 500k? I mean, if it was just psychological and everything was ok physically.
Aggieangler93
AG
I just started this one. Have binge watched season 1 this last weekend, and will finish out season 2 this weekend. I am amazed at some of the people and the dumb decisions they make. I guess being tired and hungry shuts your thinking cap off.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Callie seems to have the attitude and she has the right mix of "mind candy" projects going on to keep her on an even temperament. You have to know the spider bites are driving her nuts with the worry, but she seems to be powering past that.

Greg is going to have to make a miraculous recovery next week.
CrottyKid
AG
Yep.
Greg, Fowler, the Alaskan girl who finally caught a fish, and unfortunately Callie are on the ropes.
clintaggie04
AG
I don't like how they aren't showing every person on every episode. I feel like this season is much more edited for drama if that makes sense.
CrottyKid
AG
Seems like more people are still in it at this point. They can't really show every one of 7 people on every episode. It would need to be a 2 hour episode each week.
Bregxit
AG
CrottyKid said:

Seems like more people are still in it at this point. They can't really show every one of 7 people on every episode. It would need to be a 2 hour episode each week.

Yep, 7 left and we're almost to the same point as the season one winner. As far as camera time, besides the fact the getting all seven in would allow only six minutes per person, I bet most of them are doing a lot of resting and there isn't a ton of interesting content being made at this point.

I am really curious how long they make it now. This is feeling like maybe 90-100 days.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.