Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tarpon Junkies

116,975 Views | 643 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
DV04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ccard257
AG
How did I miss this thread. Looks like i've got some watching and reading to catch up on. Thanks!
Kenneth_2003
AG
Speaking of Tarpon....

Highlights among other things FDR's trip to Port A to catch Tarpon
Islands of the Oil Kings
Centerpole90
AG
That's an awesome article. You should provide a synopsis in your post Kenneth - good find.

Centerpole90
AG
PSA from Silver Kings FB page - I know a lot of us are anxiously waiting for the season to resume.

quote:
Silver Kings has moved to Sundays at 9am EST on Destination America Channel. Our original episodes are currently running with new episodes (7-12) starting February 15 to complete Season 1. We hope you enjoy!
I will continue to post links to new episodes on Vimeo for lolpoorssean98, et al.

Centerpole90
AG
Programming note for Tarpon Junkies who take the weekend off the OB -

quote:
New episodes start this Sunday at 9am EST on Destination America Channel.

And for those who care about such nonsense - Fordyce and Bosso are moving to Maverick skiffs for this coming season. Here are 'Tarpon Sleds 1&2' (the one the guy is sitting in will be the new Voodo Daddy) out for shakeout runs.

The green one is Bosso's - the second one out of the mold:

Fish the Legend.
Centerpole90
AG
We're this far into it and even if I'm the only one watching I'll keep the whole season here in one thread...

Get to know Bosso a little better in Episode 7 -The Art of Fly Fishing

I didn't know that you couldn't offer $ prizes in Fla Keys fishing tournaments.

Back to the fishing with Fordyce in Episode 8 - The Lady & The Sea

SouthparkKenny
SouthparkKenny
NW80
AG
Who killed that fish ?!?
EFE
AG
Story time
SouthparkKenny
No Story just the Texas State Record

89"

210# 7oz

45-1/2 girth

NW80
AG
Who cares about a state record fish.That and $00.25 won't get you a cup of coffee! Turn that 100+ year old fish loose! Get the measurements and move on.
Ayto Siks
I booked back-to-back tarpon trips out of Cudjoe Key this May. Then I saw the SK episode where Bou and his friend caught small tarpon in the 'Glades. Now I wish I would've tried 1 day of backcountry instead. Great show. I was also surprised to hear they don't have cash prizes in these tournaments.
Centerpole90
AG
quote:
Now I wish I would've tried 1 day of backcountry instead.
I've done a lot of reading online about backcountry fishing. I'd love to load up in a couple boats and do a self guided trip. There is a lot of info on Florida Sportsman and other forums about it; the hazards, what to expect, what to look out for and stuff like that. I know that such an outing would result in ZERO hookups or fish, but the experience COULD be fun with friends/sons - of course it could be miserable too. Best done with a guide first - but I share your desire to give it try. How was the other Dimmock book?
Ayto Siks
I took a backcountry trip from the gulf side of Florida last year. We launched out of Chokoloskee and it didn't take long to get completely lost. No tarpon, but we caught other fish and saw an enormous Goliath grouper - bigger than a manatee. The guide was a total bust, so I plan on going back in a smaller boat and with a different guide.

The other Dimmock book (Florida Enchantments) was outstanding. It's available free online through Google. I bought a paperback from amazon, but numerous pages were missing and others were out of order, so I re-ordered from Barnes & Noble. The book covers tarpon fishing, spearing and hand-lining dolphins, capturing crocodiles, moonshiners, and much more. It's definitely my favorite book.
Centerpole90
AG
Ayto, do you record Saltwater Experience too? There was a two or three part series they did last season on a 'mother ship' trip they did in the Everglades. Blue Moon Expeditions was the outfitter that hosted the trip. Here's the link to the first episode, it had a lot of interesting information about snook. IIRC they fished up and down Shark River and worked up to Chokoloskee. You might see some familiar sights.

You cost me the purchase of Florida Enchantments so why don't you book a trip with this outfit and report back what some real backcountry fishing is like?
Ayto Siks
I don't get any good outdoor programming on tv. In fact, I have to watch Silver Kings online. I've never seen Saltwater Experience until now, but they did a great job of capturing the essence of the Everglades. You never know what kind of fish is on the line- could be a jack, could be a catfish. I'll have to youtube the rest of those episodes, thanks!

The all-inclusive prices on the multi day trips at Blue Moon are reasonable... especially compared to the offshore rates out of the Keys... very tempting... I kinda gave up on tarpon last year because I struck out so many times. Silver Kings and The Book of the Tarpon re-inspired me, and I'm trying for tarpon ONE more season.
Centerpole90
AG
quote:
I kinda gave up on tarpon last year because I struck out so many times.
NO. NO. NO. Unpossible. Eso no es posible.
BKClark
AG
Don't give up on the poon. Try some places other than the Keys. Look further up the coast, like a lot further, but still in Florida. Oyster City
DV04
AG
Love the series. Definitely on my bucket list of things to do.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I've still yet to jump a tarpon. It's my #1 fishing goal for 2015. I've got 4 dedicated tarpon trips planned this year. 1 to the Florida panhandle, 2 to the Keys/Glades, and one in Texas.
Centerpole90
AG
Well boys and girls, it's that time of the week again.

Episode 9: 'The Last Sixty Feet'

Cool episode. There's some good jumps in there and some real encouragement for putting in the time and effort to work and practice to improve your cast and sharpen your skill to take on the Silver King.

Fly shop owner Sandy Moret (depicted on the bow of the skiff in this original painting by C.D. Clarke) tells us you can fly to or from anywhere in the world, you can book the best guide on the best boat, and they can put you right on the fish but that last sixty feet is all up to YOU.

Centerpole90
AG
and if you dig on that vintage skiff in the painting check this out.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
and if you dig on that vintage skiff in the painting check this out.
It moved.

A lot.

Seriously.

That is one sexy little skiff. I love the old school styling, right down to the custom cowling on the motor to make it look like an old Johnson SeaKing. If I lived near the Keys or ENP and could afford a dedicated back country skiff I would totally go for something like that.

And the dude's even using vintage glass rods and there's a shot of him with an old Pflueger fly reel. I wish I could find it but I was PM'ing with a dude on TKF who's into vintage reels & glass rods like I am and year or so ago he found an upgraded Pflueger Medalist on eBay. I forget who did the mods but back in the 60's & 70's you basically had Pflueger or Fin-Nor for use in the salt and a couple guys took to machining their own precision spools and drag washers for the Pflueger Medalists and he found one. It was really sweet.
GinMan
AG
Me, back country this weekend, March 1, 2015. Key West. 3 for 4 on tarpon. Live pinfish, 30lb spinning gear. Went with a guide. When I go back I wouldn't change a thing other than pack a fly rod just in case. Wind blew like a mo' fo' just like Padre.
We also caught some jackfish, yellow jacks, grouper, yellow tail snapper, mackerel.

Centerpole90
AG
Very nice.
ecoag80
AG
The wife and I fished with Bou Bosso a few years ago and I can say without hesitation he is the best guide I have fished with regarding his effort, patience, expertise and overall professionalism. He was basically a very good guy, law school grad who found his passion. We broke bread with him after a trip, he showed us his place he was remodeling and loves the Keys. Hope to go back one day.

Centerpole90
AG
My favorite episode so far!

If you've ever fished with your Dad, if you've ever 'trout set' a red or tarpon with a fly rod, if you ever wonder why tarpon fly fishermen talk about 'jumps' and 'hookups' as catches then this is the one for you too.

Episode 10 - Cat's in the Cradle

Ragoo
AG
Fun episode, glad I watched.
NW80
AG
Best yet!
DV04
DV04
AG
Would a ten weight set up work out for the Tarpon that frequent SPI and PM during the summer months or would an 11 weight be what I would need?
Centerpole90
AG
DV, we use both. In the late summer & fall there are tarpon that pass through that will, I believe, spool a 10 in short order - but not all of them. I was fishing almost exclusively with a 12 and I fished some with a friend this summer who has a lot more experience than I do. We fished all day with 10 weights and had several hookups - only once did he cast to a fish, study it a second, then strip in and say "Nope, I don't want any part of him bc I don't want to have to rig another fly." If 10 is what you have don't let it keep you away. After all, you can hook them on what you want, but if you're committed to landing what you can hook the best chances are certainly with heavier tackle. IMHO.

I took this picture that day, he's hooked with a 10wt; 9' of 60# floro leader. A few jumps after this he was gone.

texican08
AG
What brand of skiff is Bosso using on the show? Pretty slick little setup.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.