Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tarpon Junkies

111,616 Views | 643 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BK, are those pictures taken here in TX? They all are for all I know but it does look like you're in the 'bowling alley' in one of them. Is that a Chittum you're on? I didn't know if that casting platform was proprietary to their skiff.
BKClark
AG
All are taken in Florida. I've haven't caught one in Texas yet. They are a mix between the keys and the panhandle. Both of the guides I fish with are photography nuts and they've taken the pictures

That is indeed the bowling alley. We sat behind Fordyce and Heidi Nute that day. I think it was episode 8 and 9 of Silver Kings. They are really good.

Good spot on the boat. It is a Chittum. I think they will sell anyone that cage if you are willing to pay for it. BTW, it's really nice to fish out of. Those boats are nice, but not sure they are worth the money.
Centerpole90
AG
Another good episode. Hate to see this season wrapping up on the show, but like BKClark said, it's just getting started IRL.

Episode 11: Gold Cup (Part 1)

One of the things I've enjoyed, along with the amazing fishing, is the music. Whoever produces the score for the show does a fine job.

The theme music is Don't Know Dorthy and Whatever Comes.

Don't Know Dorthy don't know tarpon because they're long way from the water. College band. Who knew?

quote:
All members are currently college students in Kansas City area, lead worship at 3 Kansas City churches and as time permits, tour throughout the Midwest.
BKClark
AG
Not sure how much they are going to do. Original plan was to cover the 4 tournaments. The Gold Cup is the last of them. Guess we'll see. I do know this, There's some crazy @#!t that happens during tournament season

DV04
AG
Good episode.
DuckDown2013
AG
I am hooked on this show. My wife has been out of town, so I have been able to watch all 11 episodes in 3 days! Everybody watching this show is telling themselves "I am going to fish the gold cup one day."
Finn Maccumhail
AG
My new tarpon stick arrived today. Can't wait to cast it. Not sure what reel yet. I'm seriously considering a 3-Tand. They were designed by the same dude who designed & machined the Van Staal reels and have been getting rave reviews.
DuckDown2013
AG
When does episode 12 of Silver Kings air?? Cool that Ed Young is out there, but he doesn't seem quite as skilled as some of the others I have seen.
Centerpole90
AG
The final episode of Season 1 airs this coming Sunday morning at 8am on Destination America Channel (DISH 194).
BKClark
AG
Here's another little movie you may not have seen. Some great shots. Nathaniel owns the fly shop in Key West. It's a great shop if you're down that way

Searching
Centerpole90
AG
and just like that, it's over.

Episode 12: GOLD CUP (Part 2) The last episode of Silver Kings Season 1. I believe there will be future seasons.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Like I said above, I loved the music, the personalities added a ton to the show, the action was great, and they provided more than enough other material to fill in the season. One of things I thought cool was (for those of us who watched the whole thing) it really set tarpon fishing apart. It's tough, very tough; oh, you may have a great day and jump a bunch of them, but you'll talk about that day for a looonnng time.

DV04
Ayto Siks
Centerpole90
AG
That's cool Ayto, and no, the book is right here and I haven't started it yet; I need to get on it.

I was poking around and revisited a video I'd see a while back that's pretty cool about tarpon fishing. Shows a couple really good eats.

Tom's Tarpon
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Can y'all post the tarpon fishing books y'all like? Gonna hunt them up on Amazon or something.
DV04
AG
I've read reviews that "A Passion for Tarpon" by Andy Mills is very good. I'll have to save up for it though, it runs $100.00 lol.
DuckDown2013
AG
What a great show. Watched all 12 Episodes. Eager to learn more about the sport. Definitely going to be hitting up some classes at Orvis.
BKClark
AG

Below are some Tarpon/Fishing books with the author and Amazon links

A Passion for Tarpon by Andy Mill

Probably the best you can buy. Expensive ($100) but well worth it. Great photos and the stories about the old timers are fabulous. You will read it over and over

Tarpon on Fly by Rob Fordyce
Lots of instruction in this book but one you should own, if you choose to get the bug

Megalops by Tosh Brown
Expensive, but a nice little book about the pursuit of tarpon

Sea Level: Adventures of a Saltwater Angler by Jeffrey Cardenas
Not solely about tarpon fishing but a good read nevertheless. Short stories. Jefferey's book Marquesa is also excellent if you can find a copy

The Longest Silence: A Life in Fishing by Thomas McGuane
Short stories that are a mix of both freshwater and saltwater fishing by one of America's best authors

High Rollers: Fly Fishing for Giant Tarpon by Bill Bishop
A lot of how-to, but still very entertaining

The Dimock book previously mentioned is outstanding
Ayto Siks
Snapped this pic @ Robbie's yesterday...

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Three more weeks and I'll be hunting those bastages over in Florida.

Three.More.Weeks.

Grrrrr
Centerpole90
DV04
BowhunterAg83
AG
My brother released a 180, 120 pounders a few weeks back. Measured them in the water then released. He landed over a dozen in two weeks. No pics allowed....
BKClark
AggieGunslinger
AG
quote:
My brother released a 180, 120 pounders a few weeks back. Measured them in the water then released. He landed over a dozen in two weeks. No pics allowed....

Why no pics?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
On the fly?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
So I know a bunch of y'all have jumped/caught a bunch of tarpon in your lives but this is new for me- before this trip I'd been on just 3 trips where my focus was tarpon and on all 3 came up empty.

This time I jumped 3- none landed but HOLY ****ING **** THAT WAS AMAZING!!!!

I get it now. I so totally get it and if you haven't had the opportunity to jump a tarpon yet the only way I can explain it is this:

It's like the first time you have sex. You know it's gonna be awesome but nothing can really prepare you for it. It's over way too quickly and when you're done you're jacked on adrenalin, breathing heavily, heart racing, weak in the knees, and overall a wee bit shakey. And at the same time you're completely elated and want to do it again, and again, and again.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Oh, and while it won't be a 100% tarpon trip I've got 2 days in August booked with John O'Hearn, the guide in this video.

O'Hearn said August is by far the best month of the year for somebody to have a chance at a grand slam. So I'll be bringing 8wt for bones, 10wt for permit, and 12wt for poon.

http://vimeo.com/83816888

Then in October I'm fishing out of Islamorada with Sandy Moret's son, Drew. Tried to get Fordyce but he was booked.
DV04
Ayto Siks
I'm jealous of all the tarpon connections. My wife and I struck out in May @ the lower keys. The bozo guide brought frozen squid and spin rods with 50 yards of line, so it's probably for the best that we didn't jump one... I don't have any guides reserved the rest of the year, but I should have some chances by myself this summer. I still hope to get a backcountry trip lined up this winter.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Who is this slappy guide who showed up with that kind of gear? Need to make sure no Aggie ever mistakenly books him.

That being said, even though my guy has top-notch gear (Tibor reels & Sage One rods) I used my own and will use my own on future trips whenever possible.

And nice pic. That water is amazing!
Ayto Siks
We went with 'Sight Fish Florida Keys.' He was highly recommended by TripAdvisor, but I wasn't impressed. I confronted the guy about tackle/tactics during the trip, and he said there was a misunderstanding about target species. He thought we wanted to catch sharks... We switched over to white bass assassins, but didn't even see a single tarpon all day. I canceled day 2 and drove to Miami for peacock bass instead.
Centerpole90
AG
Hate that, but I'm still jealous of all that pretty water in front you. That and the double selfie/goPro wifi monitor whatever you've got going on there!
BKClark
AG
Finn, who was your first trip with and where did you go?

thanks
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Finn, who was your first trip with and where did you go?

thanks

Panhandle with Preston Sutter. He's with Shallow Water Expeditions.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.