Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tarpon Junkies

111,608 Views | 643 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Awesome work man. That's a big poon!
Centerpole90
AG
Another Ag harassing FL silver....

https://instagr.am/p/BGSzdEYzC5T
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Saw that. Good dude. He recently got and did some minor restoration work on an older (like 2000 or 2001) Hells Bay. I forget if it was a Whipray or Waterman but it's a sweet little tiller skiff.
BKClark
AG
Results of the Hawley Tournament. Ended yesterday

Results, Day #5 fishing "42nd Annual Don Hawley Invitational Tarpon Release Fly Tournament 2016"
12 lb Tippet Division:-
Champion Angler/Guide:-
Thane Morgan w/ Capt Dustin Huff 13000 pts, 5000 pts last day
1st Runner-Up Angler/Guide:-
Bart Beasley w/ Capt Perry Coleman 7000 pts, 4000 pts last day
2nd Runner-Up/Guide:-
Nicky Mill w/ Capt Rob Fordyce 6000 pts, 1000 pts last day
16 lb Tippet Division:-
1st Runner-Up/Guide:-
Art Webb w/ Capt Bruce Chard 750 pts
2nd Runner-Up/Guide:-
Rand Holstead w/ Capt brian Helms 750 pts
A total of 18 fish caught and Released on Day # 5
5 Day total fish Caught and Released 64
BKClark
AG
Gold Cup Final Results

Results Day #5 and Over-All Tournament Results:- "The 53rd Annual Gold Cup Tarpon Tournament" -Sorry, for the Late Posting!
Grand Champion and Guide:- Julian Robertson w/ Capt Joe Rodriguez:- 1 release-300pts, 1 weight 1015 pts, 5 day cum total 6,524 pts
1st Runner-Up and Guide:- Thane Morgan w/ Capt Dustin Huff:- 2 release fish 600 pts, 5 day cum total 4,974 pts
2nd Runner-Up and Guide:- Baker Bishop w/ Capt Craig Brewer:- 1 release fish 300 pts, 5 day cum total 2,669 pts
Charles Duncan III w/ Capt Rob Fordyce no fish, 5 day cum total 2,597 pts
Sebastian Varney w/ Capt Jeremy Fisher 1 weight fish 1,175 pts, 5 day cum total 2,396 pts
Mark Richen w/ Capt Jared Raskob:- no fish, 5 day cum total 2,375 pts
David Preston w/ Capt Brian Esposito:- 3 release fish 900 ptsn 5 day cum total 1,946 pts
Roger Fernandez w/ Capt Tad Burke:- 1 weight fish 723 pts, 5 day cum total 1,880 pts
Nathaniel Vinville w/ Capt John O'Brien 1 release fish 300 pts, 5 day cum total 1,694 pts
Steve ward 2w/ Capt Doug Kilpatrick:- 1 release fish, 5 day cum total 1,369 pts
Tim O'Brien w/ Capt Tim Klein:- 1 weight fish 946 pts, 5 day cum total 1,246 pts
Vern olson w/ Capt Brian Holeman:- no fish, 5 day cum total 1,138 pts
Sam Kaufmen w/ Capt Steve Friedman:- 1 weight fish 821 pts, 5 day cum total 821 pts
Scott Green w/ capt Tommy Locke:- no fish, 5 day cum total 715 pts
Day #5 total catch:- 18 release fish,- b5 weight fis
Tournament total catch 54 release fish, 25 weight fish

1st Runner Up & 4th place up are Texas boys, as well as Steve Ward
Centerpole90
AG

quote:
Tim O'Brien w/ Capt Tim Klein:- 1 weight fish 946 pts, 5 day cum total 1,246 pts
Since not specified as a Texas Boy, I guess this is not Tim O'Brien from Harlingen, although his FB page shows he's been in FL this month and fished w/ Andy Mill earlier in June.
BKClark
AG
not sure. there's another one over there, but it could be your boy
Centerpole90
AG
He's not my boy, but it's him. He's been posting pics, including the ones w/ Andy Mill with Tim Klein. This dude's the HB rep/salesman down here.
AGricola08
AG
Pretty dang cool ...

Golden Tarpon
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Pretty dang cool ...

Golden Tarpon

Somebody caught it after these guys got it on video up in the Panhandle.

https://instagr.am/p/BGsTaObife5
Salt of the water
AG
Very cool!
Salt of the water
AG
Jumped my first poon today. Probably around 2ft. Came tight with a bigger one but popped it off on a wind knot. Trying again on Thursday in my own skiff.

Centerpole90
AG
Did your guts ball up in your throat on the eat??

Mine do.
Salt of the water
AG
Once we saw rollers I was a nervous wreck. Definitely gets the adrenaline pumping.
Ayto Siks
That golden tarpon is crazy.

Salt, good luck! It seems like the juvis are thicker in the backcountry, and the migrating poon are more active on the beach this year. I've seen a few while driving over bridges and I've seen boats hooked up when I'm at the beach. Not sure what things are like in the Keys or panhandle, but hopefully this thread gets some pics soon.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I leave for FL on Thursday. Fishing Friday-Sunday and I get all the bow time since my partner who was supposed to split the trip bailed.

Oh well, I get all the poons.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Soon.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
https://vimeo.com/116472489

https://vimeo.com/120693736

https://vimeo.com/116365762

https://vimeo.com/117109019
Sean98
AG
quote:
I leave for FL on Thursday. Fishing Friday-Sunday and I get all the bow time since my partner who was supposed to split the trip bailed.

Save a few for me. I'm headed to ENP in early August.
Centerpole90
AG
If I finish picking cotton I'm going to jones in and photo-blog that trip.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
quote:

Save a few for me. I'm headed to ENP in early August.

No worries, I'll be a good ways north of there. But in seriousness, what are the prospects for poon like in the Glades in August? I know the juvies will be there but the migratory fish will be gone.
Ayto Siks
quote:
But in seriousness, what are the prospects for poon like in the Glades in August? I know the juvies will be there but the migratory fish will be gone.

Not all of the resident tarpon are juvies. I fished the Glades this weekend and had an encounter with a monster poon...

I stripped an Everglades Special out of the deep, black water and into a shallow area where aluminum boats launch. As the fly came out of the darkness and into the sandy shallows, a six footer followed in close pursuit.

I kept ticking the fly in, and watched the submarine close the gap. It was a spectacular slow-motion "chase." Eventually had the leader into the guides and I ran out of real estate. The tarpon was inches away from the fly...I couldn't decide if I should strip the fly all the way to the rod tip and hope the tarpon vacuumed it down before the clink, or sweep the fly across the beach and hope the new direction and rod movement didn't break her concentration.

The one second hesitation was enough to disrupt the moment. The fly paused and the fish woke up from a dream. Game over. She turned away and the light hit her sides in a brilliant flash that I didn't expect to see in stained water. Then she slowly glided back into the abyss. She was close enough that her u-turn sent waves into the grass. Best fish I never caught.

Anyway, that's the long version of ENP tarpon in the July. There are still big ones around if you can access the basins and backcountry lakes. Hopefully August is the same.
Salt of the water
AG
I bet that chase will live in your dreams for a bit!
Centerpole90
AG
I'm aroused.

I could freaking cut diamonds with this thing right now. Wow. Thanks for that.
Sean98
AG
quote:
quote:
But in seriousness, what are the prospects for poon like in the Glades in August? I know the juvies will be there but the migratory fish will be gone.

Not all of the resident tarpon are juvies. I fished the Glades this weekend and had an encounter with a monster poon...

I stripped an Everglades Special out of the deep, black water and into a shallow area where aluminum boats launch. As the fly came out of the darkness and into the sandy shallows, a six footer followed in close pursuit.

I kept ticking the fly in, and watched the submarine close the gap. It was a spectacular slow-motion "chase." Eventually had the leader into the guides and I ran out of real estate. The tarpon was inches away from the fly...I couldn't decide if I should strip the fly all the way to the rod tip and hope the tarpon vacuumed it down before the clink, or sweep the fly across the beach and hope the new direction and rod movement didn't break her concentration.

The one second hesitation was enough to disrupt the moment. The fly paused and the fish woke up from a dream. Game over. She turned away and the light hit her sides in a brilliant flash that I didn't expect to see in stained water. Then she slowly glided back into the abyss. She was close enough that her u-turn sent waves into the grass. Best fish I never caught.

Anyway, that's the long version of ENP tarpon in the July. There are still big ones around if you can access the basins and backcountry lakes. Hopefully August is the same.
Sean98
AG
FWIW I'm not fishing exclusively for tarpon but my guide says there should be some big girls in there that have returned from spawning in the Keys.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Great story Ayto.

I was under the impression that most of the big poon go deep to hide from the heat that time of year. Down in Key West last August we ran back into the backcountry near Big Pine looking for juvies and my guide (John O'Hearn) who is pretty well regarded said it was really rare to find the big ones back there that time of year. And we actually did come upon a 100# class fish that he thought was a shark at first because it's so rare to find them back there that time of year.

Anyway, on to my report- just got back from 3 days in the Panhandle.

Friday: conditions were pretty much perfect and we saw a ton of fish. Probably 150 or so I could have gotten shots at if I didn't get the yips and completely choke. Seriously, I was so far in my head I couldn't make a cast to save my life. I blew shots in every way conceivable- from being tangled around every damn thing to casting like I'd never picked up a fly rod. To paraphrase, Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy "my cast feels like an unfolding lawn chair."

My guide, who I've fished with a few times before was like "dude, you've got to relax, I've seen you make that same cast 100 times." And one time when I did manage to not choke, make the shot, and get the fish to eat she broke me off on the hook set.

Oh well, many beers were had that night to calm my nerves.

Saturday: went to a different spot to look for slightly dirtier water since the fish eat better in it and are less spooky. We found a ton of fish- there were acres and acres of pogies in the water and poon blasting bait all around as the sun came up. There were giant streaks of what looked like muddy water but was actually pogie jizz with poon everywhere. You couldn't catch them in the bait but the game was to find them and as the sun got higher and the tide slacked off the pogies would disperse and the tarpon would work their way out to a couple spots and lay up.

So we staked out on a point where the tarpon cruise a couple paths out to deeper water right along an edge with dirtier water and clear water.

Thankfully this time the yips were gone. I put the fly in front of the first 2 fish we saw working and one refused it, the second followed it all the way to the boat before veering off, and the third shot was beautiful.

She set up perfect, coming in at us along the bar from about 11 o'clock and just lazing along towards 9 o'clock. I laid my cast out to intercept and slid the fly across her face. She turned and followed and absolutely trash-canned the fly about 20 feet from the boat. Just inhaled it down, I came tight to her and jammed home the hook when a bomb went off in the water. She did a massive, tailwalking jump about 30 feet off the front of the boat and proceeded to run & greyhound a little ways. Oddly, she never got into my backing. She just jumped and stayed within about 100'. We got probably 8 really good, tailwalking jumps and after about 10-15 minutes had her alongside the boat and grabbed the leader.

She was a good 130-pounder but when we tried to grab her face she finally chewed through the 50# bite leader and was gone.

HELL YEAH! Shook off the hex.

And just in time too because my the time we got a new leader and fly rigged a storm that had been brewing out in the gulf hit us. No lightning but a good rain and on the backside of the storm was a solid 30 mph wind so we called the day about 2 and headed to the bar to celebrate.

Sunday: set up pretty much like Saturday with the poon crushing bait early but they stayed in the bait a lot longer. When they finally started swimming to lay up the wind and tide had died and all the grit in the water was gone. We were posted up in 6' of water that looked 6" because it was so clear.

I had 10 decent shots and put the fly where it needed to be but in the super clear water the fish just weren't eating. Even when we downsized the fly significantly and went to a small, tan fly.

At one point with the wind down I was sort of wilting in the heat so I sat down to grab a drink and pour some cold water on my head and down my neck. I had my guide take a couple shots and in 15 minutes he had 3 shots and the fish just weren't eating. There were 3 other skiffs and one other boat soaking bait all working the same area we were at and none of them were getting fish to eat either. We saw a lot more fish but they were working different lines than our set up so no chance at a shot.

Called it at about 4 and went to the raw bar for beers and oysters.

That night I went and met up with BKClark and his fishing partners for drinks & dinner. Good dude and nice to meet in person as part of our OB Tarpon cult.

So, I got 1 eat and landed one. Good trip, but not great. But with big poon, all it takes is one to make a couple days fishing worth it. Now I'll spend the rest of the summer trying to catch tarpon that talk with a Texas accent.
Salt of the water
AG
Yall have inspired me - here's the longer trip report from my Keys trip. Lots of non-tarponness included.

Tarpon only TLDR: Jumped one. Broke one off.

Guided trip on Tuesday:
Tuesday was my Birthday so I did a guided trip to try to scratch tarpon off the bucket list. Plan was juvy poons to start the day and then some variety later. Left the ramp at sunrise and stopped at the first spot gulfside. Looked for some rollers along the bank and not much was going on.

Went to spot number two oceanside. Started poling towards the shore and began seeing rollers up against the mangroves in some off colored water. We kind of worked them into a cove, and the guide had to work at it to get me close enough for a good shot with my crappy casting without spooking the fish. I finally got a little more comfortable throwing his 10 weight and put it out in front on one. Stripped it across his nose and got one airborne (about a 2 fter) but it came right off once it hit the water.

Missed maybe 3 or 4 more decent shots and lots of shorts to fish further out. Finally got a good cast at a 3 fter. Came tight, and pop! Wind knot. My fault for casting sloppy in the heat of the moment when I finally had a good wind angle on a fish I could see and knew I could reach. Had one more good follow but no more eats. Fish were getting spooky and pushing up under the mangrove branches. We called it and headed to another flat with an incoming tide to try and find some bones.

Ran up the coast on the ocean side to the next spot. First time on a mav hpx, and I was impressed. Came up on a sand / hard bottom flat. Started poling down the shoreline and saw some sharks cruising in the distance. Worked towards the sharks and they were being followed by permit. I got a cast off, but I was so jumpy from just seeing a permit that it was no where near close enough. Kept working the flat, and saw some more permit following sharks and/or rays, my casting was not up to snuff to make a decent presentation at the 75 ft out we're seeing fish. The guide says we spooked out about a half dozen bones at one point, but I never even got a glimpse. Worked at it for a while, and the tide stopped coming in.

We talked about cranking up to catch the tide at the next spot. I start reeling up my line and we see two big permit coming right at our 12 o'clock (15-20 ish pounders). I pull some line back out and cast about 20 ft in front of them because I didn't want to spook them. I'm calm enough now that I actually lay the fly where I'm trying to. I strip in the slack and wait for them to get closer.

They're keep coming straight on. At about 10 ft, I get the fly moving so that it's not sitting on the bottom. Slow ticks to keep it moving until the fish close the gap.

I can see that the bigger one is closer to my fly now and they're still closing the gap. I go to a tick-tick-wait kind of strip tyring to look shrimpy. Now they're about 30 ft from the boat and 5 ft away from my fly. My heart is pounding because I think I'm about to have a huge stroke of rookie luck and hook a permit. They turn 90 degrees. Not spooked or anything. They just decide to change directions. I sat in shock for a few seconds but it seemed like an eternity just watching my best shot die away. I pick up and lay it out in front of them. Not close enough to get them to turn. They're gone. I probably should have casted closer to them and taken the risk of spooking them. Lesson learned. Hit a few more spots but don't really see much. Boat traffic is picking up and some guy blows across our line on the last flat we try and work.

Guide asks if we want to go stake out at the cut and wait for the tide to drop to see if maybe we can get another shot at poon. My wife has been a trooper all day and I can tell she's worn out. We head in.

I'm already trying to figure how I can get back in peak season.

Canal:
I was hoping to sneak in some time fishing in the canal that our house was on in the evenings. I contemplated taking my underwater light rig (flounder set-up really) but the truck was pretty loaded so I didn't take them. Ended up being a good call because there was not much action at night in the lights on either side of us. Cast a little at some schooling mullet on night but overall, not much action.

Marathon:
Cruised around in my boat some and checked out some of the protected flats in and around Marathon. Found one little cove with some bait popping and stopped to throw flies at them. No luck. Mostly poled around everyone else on the trip so they could see some nature. Saw lots of small perch in the grass, 8-12 inch cudas, rays, sharks, and a few iguanas in the mangrove tunnels. Cool stuff.

Dry Tortugas:
Took the ferry from Key West to Dry Tortugas one day. Awesome trip. Got to throw flies into some crazy beautiful water. Worked the docks they have there for a bit, but didn't see much cause boats and seaplanes were coming / going pretty frequently. Walked the beach for a bit and talked to a fellow fly fisher who was camping at the island. He was posted up on a small hill, watching for rolling poons so he could run down the waters edge and bomb out a cast. Said he saw a few the day before, but no hookups. I blind casted for a bit but didn't have any luck.

There and back again:
Hauled my gheenoe 1300 miles one way. The house we rented had a nice canal front dock, so I put it in the water and left it there all week. So nice to be able to just hop in for a quick cruise around and hop back out.

On the trip there we hit rush hour in Mobile and got held up before/in the tunnel for about an hour and half. Just as soon as traffic started clearing because everyone was turning off for Gulf shores, someone flipped a car about a 1/4 mile in front of us. We sat on I10 for about an hour and chatted with people from the cars around us. Not a great way to start vacation.

I pulled the boat the night before we left. Had my buddy drive the truck up the ramp and once hes about half way in, I hear a PSSHHHHHH. Once he's up the ramp, I jump out of the boat and can feel the air coming out my tire. We jump in the truck and hurry back to the house we rented. Slap the spare on so we can roll out in the morning. End up driving from Marathon to Orlando on the spare and stop at discount tire for lunch and patch. Smooth sailing the rest of the way home.
Centerpole90
AG
Epic day for this thread. Thanks Ayto, Finn, & Salt.

I need to travel more.
TxAG-010
AG
Great reports! I'm hoping I'll be able to contribute in September. I'm headed to the Keys to chase permit. Salt, I'm also going to take time to see the Dry Tortugas, but just for half the day (the wife and I are taking the sea plane). Is worth taking my rod along or no?
Salt of the water
AG
My thought process was... If I didn't take a rod and saw fish everywhere I'd be kicking myself. The rod wasn't much of an inconvenience and I fish for a little bit to say I tried.

You can walk the fort in about an hour if you don't dawdle. Download the parks self guided tour pdf and read up before (the plaques are pretty much a repeat).

One of the rangers said the cudas get thick once the water temp cools off some. I'd take appropriate leaders for that.
Ayto Siks
Awesome reports! It's nice to know even the OB pros can get casting yips or miss with a guide. Instagram can be misleading when all you see is someone else's wins. Speaking of insta, SK posted their season 3 trailer yesterday.

I took the sea plane to Dry Tortugas last year and might go again in August. The view from the plane is spectacular. I brought my fly rod, but didn't fish. I couldn't stop snorkeling by the old south dock long enough to throw a loop.

https://instagr.am/p/BHuqrGABbQ8
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I am far from a pro. Regarding tarpon I'm barely past newbie status. I've fed a few fish, jumped a few more, leadered 3, and grabbed the face of one. That's hardly an impressive resume.

But I'm damn sure gonna keep after it.
Sean98
AG
quote:
Epic day for this thread. Thanks Ayto, Finn, & Salt.

I need to travel more.
Let someone else pick the blue jeans and come on...
Finn Maccumhail
AG
So I know most of us on this thread are dedicated to catching tarpon on the fly but something about the folks catching them on conventional gear has really been bugging me.

And that's the amount of time these guys fight a big fish.

Now, not all fly guys are using IGFA leader systems but many do. For those who don't know that's a 3-part leader system. Usually a 50-60# butt section, a 50-100# bite tippet and then IFGA rules mandate no larger than a 20# class tippet. There are are also requirements for the length of the bite (no more than 12" from the eye of the fly's hook to the knot connecting to the class) and class tippets (at least 15" inside the knots) but unless you're fishing a tournament or going for a record I don't really view those as being integral.

Thus, if you're fishing semi-IGFA leaders, meaning no more than a 20# class, in my view the rationale is that it's more sporting, more in line with what the founding fathers of fly fishing for tarpon did, and most importantly provides a "fuse" to easily break off a fish if needed. Plus, you're less likely to break your rod or lose you entire fly line by getting broken off in the backing if your weakest line test is the 20# class.

Anyway, I consistently hear of these guys using conventional gear using 50-100# leaders and taking an hour or more to land a 100# tarpon.

Why the hell are they taking so damn long?

I'm no expert and in fact, I've only ever leadered 4 tarpon and they went roughly 45#, 70#, and two in the 120-130# range. All on 16# or 20# class. And not one of those fish took more than 15 minutes to be able to grab the leader. And I'm still effectively a newbie when it comes to tarpon.

So again, why the hell is a guy on heavy conventional gear with a really heavy leader taking an hour plus to leader a big tarpon?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.