Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tarpon Junkies

111,609 Views | 643 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Awesome trip report!
Salt of the water
AG
Well done! On multiple levels.
Ayto Siks
Wow! That's awesome. The bonefish face pic is cool. And the flying tarpon shots are always killer. Thanks for sharing.
Centerpole90
AG
quote:
Thanks for sharing.
aaaannnnnndddd??????
DV04
87Flyfisher
AG
Good report and glad you enjoyed your trip to El Pescador. We will be back there mid-October and I am wanting September to pass quickly.
One interesting note on the Grand Slam plaques; the "Yvon Chouinard" in the pic is the founder/owner of Patagonia.
texican08
AG
Yeah that's why I added it. I was looking for other famous names like the ones who fished there when they filmed Buccaneers and Bones but didn't see any.

Of note, the Silver King guys were filming the week before I went. I think Bosso landed a few tarpon while he was there but they had a hard time getting a lot of action since Hurricane Earl moved the tarpon to deeper waters.

https://instagr.am/p/BJTS0zdgW1w
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Awesome trip report!

This.
Ayto Siks
I hit up the Everglades twice this week. Not a lot of luck, but enough to feed the addiction.

Lost two tarpon on a solo trip on Wednesday, then landed 1 out of 4 with a guide from Chokoloskee on Thursday. The major takeaway is I need to improve my casting technique if I want more shots. Especially if it's windy.

This looks like a dead end, but it's just the beginning. Had to lay down and throttle, push, pull, reverse, lift branches 100x in order to squirm our way under and through the mangroves:

This is actually wide by comparison:

The payoff:

Centerpole90
Salt of the water
AG
Awesome. Love those off the beaten path adventures!
BKClark
AG
Hey, good work. As far as you need to "improve your casting". Practice. This is my single biggest beef with people fly fishing. You wouldn't play golf without going to the range. I don't understand why people don't practice. Put a target in your yard and go throw at it. It's fun
Ayto Siks
Been practicing my double haul by using the last 2 sections of a fly rod. Skip the first eye, and thread fly line and leader through the rest. Then pile line on the ground and haul 40 feet back and forth. A guide in the Everglades told me about this technique, and it's been fun and helpful. Especially at generating line speed and getting a feel for timing.

Anyway, I went to the backcountry this weekend, and the lessons have helped. Still not unfurling pro-style, beautiful, tight loops like I want, but managed to cast far and accurate enough to land 5 juvi tarpon on Friday. Maybe a dozen more unbuttoned boatside and had countless jumpers.

Really wish I would have stopped for more pics and a vid or two. For a while we were getting tight on every cast. Seeing rollers turn into gold flashes, then into silver missiles was a dream come true. Now I need to improve hook sets and graduate to a bigger tarpon.

Centerpole90
AG
Remember those text conversations from a couple years ago?? Amazing work. Preserverance pays bro.
Salt of the water
AG
Boom! Congrats on the banner day.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Outstanding!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Season 3 of "Silver Kings" kicks off on Saturday the 31st.
DV04
Ayto Siks
Looking forward to a new season of Silver Kings... and getting 2017 guides lined up asap. Saw this the other day, thought it belonged here.
BKClark
AG
Well, here it is

Season 3, Episode 1
Salt of the water
AG
Looks like their sponsor at Maverick let one slip by.

I'm interested to see if Raskob is more personable on camera than Fordyce.
Centerpole90
AG
Season 3: Episode 2

Salt of the water
AG
https://vimeo.com/198204749

"One day you can go out there and everything works perfect, and then 99% of the time it doesn't. It's tarpon fishing, anything can happen."
5C
AG
Just noticed mfbarnes post on the first couple pages... maybe more, didn't sift through them all. State record... lol
Centerpole90
AG
I've always been convinced he was going act like he was involved somehow in catching that fish - until someone maybe noticed it was the state record. What I don't think he was prepared for was NW80 calling him out for killing a tarpon, then to avoid a pissing match he just came clean. Funny he didn't specify what it was when he first posted it.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Tarpon Thursday: https://instagr.am/p/BPuw5KXBBop
DuckDown2013
AG
YESSSS I just realized season 3 has already started. There goes my afternoon!
Ayto Siks
Can't wait for tarpon season to get in full swing. Went to the Everglades and caught some juvis on New Years day, but I haven't even seen a big tarpon in a while. SK episode 3 has some absolute monsters.

Hopefully 2017 is good to everyone. Looking forward to the upcoming trip reports this spring.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
That's big time right there Ayto.

A guide I've fished with out of Islamorada posted this on FB today: https://www.facebook.com/dmoret/posts/10155682592788362
Ayto Siks
The link isn't working for me. Fb says the content can't be displayed, and I didn't see anything new on Drew Moret's fb page. His old pics are awesome though.
RickSawyer
AG
I can't wait to catch another... repost if my fish from sept

AggieGunslinger
AG
Just an FYI for cordcutters, Season 1 is on Amazon Prime and Season 3 is on the Vimeo App on the Roku.
Ayto Siks
If you have roku, make sure you add Waypoint tv to your home screen. They have tons of free fishing and hunting shows available.
DuckDown2013
AG
finally starting season 3 now!
ccard257
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.