Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tarpon Junkies

109,379 Views | 643 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can hear those gill plates clatter. Wow. What a shot.
Centerpole90
AG

Season 2: Episode 10 "Ladies Tarpon Fly"

Good episode. Lots of fishing.

DuckDown2013
AG
The discrepancy between girl and guy anglers is much greater than I thought it would be. I guess it makes a lot of sense, but it seems that the captains are doing way more coaching on a girl tournament day. I wonder if they prefer the girl or guy tournaments... I guess if you get a hottie, that is always a plus.

Also, some of this drone footage is ridiculous. They do a good job filming this show.
raidernarizona
Trying to paint my first Silver King. Still in the early under painting phase. Any helpful critiques on the anatomy would be most appreciated before I start with shading. Figured I'd just ask here instead of making a new thread. Not crazy about the background color I chose, so I'll likely change that.

Centerpole90
AG
Dude that looks awesome. As does that trout you're sketching out in the background.
raidernarizona
Thanks Centerpole! I'll report back when I've got it done.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I just caught up but what are the two things hanging off the back of Fordyce's poling platform?
BKClark
AG
Since you asked about the anatomy of the tarpon, I thought I'd comment. I couldn't paint a stick figure. Having said that, the line on the top of the fish looks odd. the line from the fishes mouth past it's eye ball and onto the back of the fish is a relatively straight line (see the photo above). Your fish will have a ginormous girth the way you have his head ramping up onto the body. Not sure if that makes sense, but it's my 2 cents worth.

BTW, I've seen some of your other work and it's fab. Keep up the good work
raidernarizona
Thanks BK! I see what you're saying. I think that dorsal edge looks much different on a fish in the water and one jumping (see Centerpole's painting on Page 8), but I agree with you that mine was too exaggerated. I brought it down some. Appreciate it.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Gents- looks like I need to make a work trip over to our Sarasota office in the next couple months. Anybody know when the migrating poon start to show up in this area? I'm gonna work my trip so I can fish after I'm done with business over there.
Ayto Siks
Ahhh, good 'ol Sarasota.

I'm sure the tarpon arrive before June, but mid-June is when I've seen 'em pretty thick under the causeway at night. Not sure you can postpone business for that long. I know another spot that's pretty specific, but I can't find it on Google maps right now.

Disclaimer: I've never caught a tarpon in Sarasota...you might have better luck on the beach fronts of the barrier keys. Lastly, if you can make a night trip in early fall, the bioluminescence can be amazing in the coves.
raidernarizona

DuckDown2013
AG
What's the deal with the gap in Silver Kings episodes?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I figured this should go here- I posted earlier this week about the passing of the great writer Jim Harrison.

Well, I found and ordered a copy of this tarpon documentary shot in 1973 in Key West featuring Harrison and Tom McGuane among others- I believe it was narrated by Harrison too and the music is by Jimmy Buffett. Remastered for DVD.

Expected delivery is today or tomorrow.

Tarpon

Here's the trailer:

Centerpole90
AG
That's an awesome film. I have a copy floating around that I had promised to send to Ayto. Now I feel like a giant ***** I haven't done that yet.

In the film all the tarpon junkies (gurus) are sitting around talking and in the group is a young Steve Huff. He barely rates a mention although he does contribute - then you see the early iterations of his Super Skiff poling around the flats. Very cool.
Centerpole90
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BDnoRg6O-7Y

Read the caption. SK has moved to Pursuit Channel.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Damn. I don't get that channel. At least I can watch online.
Centerpole90
AG
Sneak peak I filmed off my screen last summer. I know this violates a lot of IP law - but the shot at the end makes it worth it. Those are some pizzed off meagalops.

AggieGunslinger
AG
This, they also have a Roku App, not sure if it requires a subscription or not though.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Sneak peak I filmed off my screen last summer. I know this violates a lot of IP law - but the shot at the end makes it worth it. Those are some pizzed off meagalops.

I leadered one about 45-50# last summer that was like that. Just spectacular jumps over and over for about 10 minutes and then pretty meekly came alongside the boat where we grabbed the leader and he spit the hook before we could grab him.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Watching it now while the boys are down for naps.

I think the shots of the old gear used are really cool. Fin Nor & Seamaster reels on glass rods. Poling the skiffs from the bow too. And fishing outside all day in cut-offs and no shirt or hat with a bandana around your head and a cigarette in their mouth.

And don't think it didn't go unnoticed how they juxtaposed the guys sight-casting the poon and releasing most of them with the googans on the party boat keeping every damn thing they caught regardless of whether or not it would get eaten.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Tarpon season is here boys. Who's going where & when?

I'm headed to the FL Panhandle in July so I've got some time. Might be able to chase one Texas poon before then though. Time to start tying up some leaders.

Also, has there been a new episode of Silver Kings since the "Ladies Fly" episode?
Ayto Siks
I have a trip in Biscayne Bay next week. I want to try the Marquesas this year, but that's just a daydream for now.

I haven't seen a new SK episode in a while.
Centerpole90
AG
Bump worthy.

https://instagr.am/p/BF2i4UlCfd0
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Talked with a prominent tarpon guide on the middle coast and he advised that due to all the rainfall and runoff out of the bays it was keeping the tarpon further south for the time being.

BKClark
AG

Day Three and Final results

3rd and Final Day Fishing the 22nd "Loop" Golden Fly Invitational Tarpon Tournament.
Carlos Duncan w/Capt Rob Fordyce:- 4 release fish and 2 weight fish
Ed Young 2w/ Capt Scott Collins:- 2 release fish and 1 weight fish
Roger Fernandez w/ Capt Tad Burke:-1 release fish and 1 weight fish
Rick Moeller w/ Capt Steve Thomas:- 1 release fish and 1 weight fish
Days total Tarpon Caught and Released: 25 release fish and 9 weight fish
Tournament Total Tarpon Caught and Released 78 Releases and 22 weight fish
Grand Champion and Guide:- Ed Young w/ Capt Scott Collins
1st Runner Up Angler and Guide:- Carlos Duncan w/ Capt Rob Fordyce
2nd Runner Up Angler and Guide:- Roger Fernandez w/ Capt Tad Burke
3rd Runner Up Angler and Guide:- Nathaniel Linville and Capt John O'Hearn
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Heard the stars aligned and they had a worm hatch during the tournament and good weather for the most part.
Centerpole90
AG
Just FYI, Silver Kings season 2 was done @ ep 10. I was kind of surprised, I don't know if that is by design or just how it worked out. Either way, season three is in production now so there will be more Silverkings.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
You know one of the producers for the show, right CP?

I follow SK on Instagram, etc and they've had updates re: filming season 3. IIRC, they're going to expand beyond just tarpon (will still be the primary focus) to permit, etc.

And speaking of permit: t. falcatus video
Centerpole90
AG
Casually, yes. I don't know the specifics of targeting other species but I do know some (or at least one) of the characters (captains) is changing in season 3. It certainly would not surprise or disappoint me if they did include other flats species.

I've had this conversation at length with another friend - as much as we LOVE to see leaping tarpon - as a tv show - there are only so many angles you can film it from to keep it fresh. Obviously introducing characters to the show adds longevity and so does changing locations (although they are limited there since Islamorada is a main sponsor) to keep it fresh. That is the challenge of a show based on a specific species with specific guides in a specific location. That said, I'm anxiously awaiting season 3.

Episode 10 didn't give that 'final episode' vibe that we had in season 1. I will always wonder if the switch in networks cost us part of season 2 - but Silverkings says that's it, so that's it.
gillom
AG
Had my first Tarpon experience this week. Staying beach front in Cape San Blas, Florida. Watched rolling Tarpon off the beach front from the deck while drinking morning coffee and afternoon beer. Decided to rent a kayak and give it a go. I never got closer than a hundred yards but my brother had one roll 30 yards from the yak. Awesome experience.
EyeBalz
AG
Hey Ags, So my guide Drew Delashmit and I fished the Golden Fly Tarpon Tournament last week in Islamorada. We finished 8th out of 28 boats. We fished the Lower Keys so we had to run 50 miles each morning before we even started fishing--an hour and 15 min run.

Day one was slick calm and mostly cloudy in the morning. We had fish rolling around us all morning and lots of good shots but they were snotty as hell and we got no bites. Fishing slowed down after that. Bagel day one.

Day 2 was much better to us and we caught a huge 125 pound toad that ended up being the second biggest fish of the tournament. Because these were touchy big fish, we had to switch to my 10wt to get the bite. Landed her after pulling on her hard for about 30 minutes.

Day 3 started with a 5:45am departure and a line of thunderstorms between us and our destination. It's a little unsettling to be running in the dark directly toward a thunderstorm--we had an impressive cloud to cloud lightning show in our faces that lit up our path intermittently. Luckily a gap formed in the storm that allowed us to pass. Most of the rest of the day was filled with clouds, wind, and rain. Nevertheless, we found some big schools swimming on the ocean right off the bat and quickly jumped a 50 pounder that threw the hook on the first jump. Determined to stick my next fish, I broke off a nicer borderline weight fish (close to 70#) on it's first jump. We finally hooked up with another 50 pounder that we quickly broke off after leadering it that gave us another 200 points. By the end of the day, the wind was blowing 25 with gusts to 40. We actually managed one last bite with seconds to spare at the end of the day, but she didn't stay on. The subsequent 1 hour and 45 minute run back to Islamorada into that 25mph headwind across several deep water crossings was a complete butt kicking.

All said, I was happy with our showing as we are relative newbies to the tarpon tourney scene--this is only our second Golden Fly. Pastor Ed Young won and my buddy Nathaniel Linville, owner of The Angling Company in Key West, came in 4th and won biggest fish with a huge 142 pounder.

I must say it was an honor and a rush to participate in something like a major tarpon tournament.

I'll post some pics when I figure out how to. lol

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EyeBalz
AG
[img]<a href=[/img]" />[img]<a href=[/img]" />[img]<a href=[/img]" />[img]<a href=[/img]" />[img]<a href=[/img]" />[img]<a href=[/img]" />
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BKClark
AG
Great report. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Nice fish!!!!

Get'em next time
DV04
AG
That's awesome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.