Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

355,960 Views | 995 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by rlb28
trestamu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Eliminatus said:

Got a big ole pot bubbling as we speak for tomorrow.

This recipe rocks. Super easy. Beyond tasty. It is my go to for sure. My only changes come from who I am making it for. A large group tomorrow, so scaled back the heat considerably. And I prefer to cook them the day before now and let them sit in the fridge overnight. Flavor is incredible after sitting overnight.

Thanks again for the recipe!

Will also add that this group I am doing this for are all virgins to this recipe. Will provide feedback from the newest batch of newbies. I expect it go the way of all the others...

Second the overnight bit; making a batch today. My go to recipe.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Bump for Super Bowl B-1 Beans
Hewey Calloway
AG
I was about to bump this thread as well. After following this thread for years I finally decided to try them out tonight. They are indeed the best pinto beans I've ever had.

We need more threads like this. I mean specifically recipes that are good enough to go 20 something pages and continually get bumped over 10 years. Anybody got a good potato salad recipe?
Get Off My Lawn
Cowboy Curtis said:

Bump for Super Bowl B-1 Beans
Was too lazy to find & bump... But we finally got around to trying these right before Christmas. OP has a few more additions to the bandwagon!
HUEY04
AG
I actually just made a batch based off of this recipe (with a few improvements over the years) for my Superbowl party tomorrow. Everyone I know requests these anytime we get together.
txagB2
AG
Have to agree with everyone. Made them for the first time about 2 months ago and have made them probably 4 more times since then. Awesome recipe!
Bonfire97
AG
I have been wanting to try these for some time. This is an excellent recipe. I added a tablespoon of brown sugar and 3 cloves of garlic pressed through a garlic press plus some Tony Chacheres. Really good!
proc
AG
My distant aunt asked me for one recipe for a family cookbook. I sent her this.
marcel ledbetter
I've made this recipe several times. I love how simple and fast it is. All I'll add is that some brands of pinto beans (like Bush's) are already cooked to the point of turning mushy if you cook them for 45 minutes or so. Other brands (B&M for one) aren't cooked as long and are just about right after 45 minute simmering away in this great recipe. I've cooked a lot of beans from different brands back in my catering days. There really is a difference.

Today, I buried four tamales in these beans and shared them with another ranch hand. He said they were the perfect beans with the tamales and when he got cell service was going to call his wife and have her get the ingredients so he could make some tonight. That's high praise right there!
BlueMiles
AG
Lucky me, I found some I'd put away in the freezer.
polksalet12345
Made these at my nephew's farm in arkansas this weekend. He was amazed that beans could be that good. I was as well and I've eaten at least 25 times over the last decade. Probably closer to 100.
All your base
98Ag99Grad
AG
Eating them this week. Love em!
Beckdiesel03
AG
Just made some for a St.pattys day party down at the river tomorrow-will report back with crowd response but they taste great to me.
Brazos1865
AG
My wife and I've made these many times and they never disappoint. I guess I know what I'm having with our blackened redfish tonight.

Wait, bacon + lent...never mind...
Beckdiesel03
AG
Update: big hit and gave the recipe to about 5 people already.
ToddyHill
AG
While I've wanted to make these, I've always hesitated due to the fact my wife has a shellfish allergy (Clamato is a no no) and I didn't think I could find Serrano peppers in podunk East Tennessee. Wife is out of town and I happened to stumble upon the peppers at the grocery store. Just took the beans off the stove, and looking forward to reheating them tomorrow after they've had a few hours for the flavors to meld. My first impression...wow, they're really good! Thanks B-1!
Ag_07
AG
Made these again but decided to change it up a bit. Went with ZingZang instead of Clamato and turned out pretty damn good (as always).

Been eating on them for a few days now.

Anyone tried making leftovers into refried beans? Any suggestions on how to do that?

I guess just cook some down in a saucepan then mash.
jeromePOWell
AG
They will break down while you stir them if you put them back on the pot, as previous posters have said certain brands like bushes almost turn to refried at 45 mins
Brazos1865
AG
Add a little oil to a skillet, slightly brown about four cloves of garlic, smash the garlic with a fork, add the beans, some cumin, chili powder and salt if needed. Smash with a potato masher.
B-1 83
AG
Brazos1865 said:

Add a little oil to a skillet, slightly brown about four cloves of garlic, smash the garlic with a fork, add the beans, some cumin, chili powder and salt if needed. Smash with a potato masher.
Oil? OIL? Manteca(TM), or gtfo!
Brazos1865
AG
I stand corrected!
Post removed:
by user
Snowball
AG
Quarantine Covid 19 Bump
rootube
AG
Ag_07 said:

Made these again but decided to change it up a bit. Went with ZingZang instead of Clamato and turned out pretty damn good (as always).

Been eating on them for a few days now.

Anyone tried making leftovers into refried beans? Any suggestions on how to do that?

I guess just cook some down in a saucepan then mash.
I just set aside how much refried I want and use a hand blender. Works great.
polksalet12345
This recipe during the Rona has caused me to develop a dependency on Clamato. Who knew this stuff was so refreshing as gardening all day.
All your base
Ornlu
AG
So... How would I do this with dried beans instead of canned?
HarleySpoon
AG
Ornlu said:

1. Soak 2 pounds beans overnight.

2. Pick out bad ones that float top next morning.

3. Strain soaked beans and place in large pot with six cups of water with salt.

4. Cook beans for four to five hours on low heat after bringing to boil.

5. Taste beans at four hour point. Cook one more hour.

6. Taste beans again.

7. Discard beans and put Bush's beans in original pot.

8. Follow original recipe....may substitute or add ingredients....except for bush's beans.

No problem.
BurrOak
AG
I bet you're one of those fellas that cooks ducks on a cedar plank, throws the duck out and eats the plank.
TwelveA
Tb100%h, these are not the best pintos I have ever cooked or have ever eaten, but otoh these are pretty dadgum good, and by that, I mean they are something I will make again & again. I am glad to have this recipe in my arsenal. Definitely much quicker to make than my mom's Greatest Generation tried-&-true recipe. The clamato gives it a slightly different flavor that is quite pleasing. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
RCR06
AG
Ornlu said:

The "problem" is how much dried beans to go with the rest of the ingredients. Since the original recipe is for canned beans its hard to say. You could definitely do this with dried beans, but you'll probably have to do some adjusting of the rest of the ingredients to get the same flavors.
TwelveA
BenColderHere said:

Tb100%h, these are not the best pintos I have ever cooked or have ever eaten, but otoh these are pretty dadgum good, and by that, I mean they are something I will make again & again. I am glad to have this recipe in my arsenal. Definitely much quicker to make than my mom's Greatest Generation tried-&-true recipe. The clamato gives it a slightly different flavor that is quite pleasing. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Dammit, I hate to post this update, but I have to, in the interests of honesty. After eating my way thru a massive pot of these beans for several days, I now have to rate the batch of beans I made with this recipe as equal to the best pintos I ever ate (sorry, Mom). They just kept getting better & better day after day from being in the fridge. (I used diced-up Polish sausages in place of the bacon, but I followed the OP's recipe closely with that one exception).

Each day I'd heat up a big bowlful in the microwave, then add a couple of goodsized rectangles of crumbled up cornbread to 'em, and let me tell ya, it was hog heaven good eatin'. I am plumb sorry I finished 'em off tonight. I am looking forward to making another big batch in June.

Burn-It
AG
Just started a batch, added more bacon this time. This will simmer for about an hour+, then rest for dinner tonight. YUM!

Holy chit! Amazing. Left them on low for several hours, took them off heat & covered them for a bit before dinner (smoked baby backs & potato salad).

AKA 13-0
OldArmyAggie94
AG
fido98 said:

fido Beans ftw

1lb dried pinto beans soaked overnight
cup olive or peanut oil
3 Slices Thick cut bacon - diced
1 med-large onion medium diced
1 Jalepeno finely diced
2 cloves garlic finely diced
2 Tbls Chili Powder (Labeled: Pure or New Mexico if you can find it)
1 Tbls Cumin
1tsp dried oregano crushed between fingers
2 bay leaves
Cup Apple Cider vinegar
Water or Chicken Stock Enough to cover beans (If using water, toss in 3 chicken buillon cubes)
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot heat oil and bacon on med heat until bacon is just short of becoming crisp. Add in onion and jalepeno (turn up heat a little if needed). Cook until veggies are tender and add in garlic. Cook about 1 minute more. Add in 2-3 cups of water/chicken broth then add all remaining ingredients. Add water or stock as needed to cover beans by about 1/2". Bring to a simmer and cook for about 4 hours stirring occasionally and topping off with water as needed.

Let me start by saying total lurker on this thread. Made these for the first time this weekend. Kids ate these things like no tomorrow. This will be the go to recipe. The only hesitation was $5 a jug for Clamato...
RCR06
AG
Dang just bought some clamato this week and I think it was $3
Max06
AG
I buy these short cans at HEB. Perfect for this recipe and I don't have a big jug of clamato taking up space in the fridge.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.