Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

351,399 Views | 994 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
polksalet12345
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The ronapocalypse has made it impossible to find giant cans of Pintos in Bowie county. My local grocery limits canned beans to two per day. I need to find a bean bootlegger.
All your base
SpiderDude
AG
Maybe it was discussed in one of the previous 20+ pages of this thread but it occurred to me that what makes this recipe so good is that Clamato is loaded with MSG. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I love me some MSG. Especially when it's washed down with some MGP.
STX Ag
AG
Trying tomorrow. OP says "2 large cans", how many oz of canned pintos we Talkin about?
BaitShack
AG
I use two of the 53 oz cans.
Burn-It
AG
STX Ag said:

Trying tomorrow. OP says "2 large cans", how many oz of canned pintos we Talkin about?

You can easily scale up or down with the recipe. Ive done 1 27oz can and 2 54oz cans.

I usually lean towards more bacon & peppers regardless of scaling up or down.
AKA 13-0
Ogre09
AG
STX Ag said:

2 27oz cans would be good for the amounts of everything else listed
Ogre09
AG
RCR06 said:

Ornlu said:

So... How would I do this with dried beans instead of canned?
The "problem" is how much dried beans to go with the rest of the ingredients. Since the original recipe is for canned beans its hard to say. You could definitely do this with dried beans, but you'll probably have to do some adjusting of the rest of the ingredients to get the same flavors.

This recipe works for 1 lb of dry beans. Add the Clamato, bacon, onion, and serrano (I usually sub jalapeno) while the beans simmer. Add tomatoes and cilantro late.
STX Ag
AG
Ogre09 said:

STX Ag said:

2 27oz cans would be good for the amounts of everything else listed

I bought one 56 oz can. Am I ok?
Ogre09
AG
Yes, but you need to divide it into separate containers before pouring into your cooking pot. And be sure to leave out the last 2 oz.
STX Ag
AG
Props to OP. My wife isn't really into beans (other than my frank n beans), but went back for thirds.

Great recipe.
OasisMan
AG
loved em
used 2 instead of 4 serranos, due to the kids
would consider adding a lime next time
cityagboy
AG
Bump!

Had them for the first time at the ranch while dove hunting last weekend!

Will make again!
CyclingAg82
AG
I just made these and they are fantastic - as advertised!
ranchag04
AG
Made them numerous times at dove hunts etc....tired of the text for the recipe....one thing I have added is breakfast sausage and it's a meal in itself.
GoodBullShark
AG
How much salt is added after the bacon and clamato if any at all?
RCR06
AG
To taste. It shouldn't need much though. I usually add some, but not a set amount
GoodBullShark
AG
Anyone ever made Fido's beans and added Clamato?
B-1 83
AG
GoodBullShark said:

Anyone ever made Fido's beans and added Clamato?
Get that #$&@ out of here! This is MY thread!
The Milkman
AG
Instead of digging through 20+ pages I thought I'd ask... when adding the cans of pintos are you adding with the liquid thats in the can as well? or draining them first?
B-1 83
AG
I drain 1/2- 3/4 of it
AgTech88
AG
The Milkman said:

Instead of digging through 20+ pages I thought I'd ask... when adding the cans of pintos are you adding with the liquid thats in the can as well? or draining them first?
Depends on if you like a lot of liquid in your beans. Use the liquid and it is a little more of a soup. Drain the beans and cut back on other liquid and it is more beans less soup. Not sure there is a right answer, I do it both ways...
AgTech88
DonaldFDraper
AG
Ogre09 said:

RCR06 said:

Ornlu said:

So... How would I do this with dried beans instead of canned?
The "problem" is how much dried beans to go with the rest of the ingredients. Since the original recipe is for canned beans its hard to say. You could definitely do this with dried beans, but you'll probably have to do some adjusting of the rest of the ingredients to get the same flavors.

This recipe works for 1 lb of dry beans. Add the Clamato, bacon, onion, and serrano (I usually sub jalapeno) while the beans simmer. Add tomatoes and cilantro late.

You simmer the dry beans in the Clamato, bacon, onion, and serrano or simmer them separately then add the ingredients?

If separately, how are you cooking the dry beans? Soaking?
lurker76
Every time we made it, we used all the liquid in the cans. The last time, we discussed cutting back on the liquid by draining at least half the can's water. We'll find out next batch if that's the right direction.
RCR06
AG
I always drain and rinse the beans. Still have plenty of liquid fromthe clamato.
cityagboy
AG
Had again. Still great!
Hwy30East
TTT for grocery shopping...
LRHF
AG
Finally tried this recipe tonight, good stuff! Here's a pic just prior to adding the Clamato. SO is a bit of a bean snob and would prefer to do this in a crock pot (traditional pinto beans) for 6 hours then add the vegetables. Definitely spicy!
STX Ag
AG
Got a pot simmering back at camp while climb in the stand for the evening.
rhtexfish
AG
Love this recipe about to fire it up again. Thanks for sharing
danieljustin06
AG
About to make a batch of these tonight. Going to add some andouille sausage just to add some more meat. Over the last couple years I've started adding some fish sauce too. Adds some more umami flavor.
LRHF
AG
Have a pot on as I type. Substituted the bacon for a left over pork chop chopped into fine chunks.

We cook then pinto beans instead of using canned.
STL_aTm
AG
Any idea how long these last in the freezer?
Sailor
Just made B1's recipe again. My God, these are just wonderful. I may have to sleep on the couch tonight. Not because of me. Because of my wife. And the beans she will eat cause they are soooo goood.

At some point, I'll have to try Fido's version and compare.

So, B1-83, I salute you, sir!
combat wombat™
AG
JUST MADE A POT. NOM NOM NOM.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Posting to have recipe

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.