Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

355,765 Views | 995 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by rlb28
LRHF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another pot simmering away.

If you are going to eat "Beans and rice, rice and beans" per Dave Ramsey while unemployed in a pandemic, might as well eat some damn good beans!
munch96
AG
Used this recipe for black eyed peas on Jan 1.

Very tasty!
deadhead aggie
AG
Made a pot for a crew of guys doing some work on my house. Served it with some nilgai sausage, warm tortillas, HEB's That Red Sauce (added some diced japalenos), and a case of ice cold Modelo.

harleyds2
AG
B-1. I know our paths crossed back in the day. I've been using this recipe since you posted it. Served it dozens of times. Everyone thinks they are amazing
Ag_07
AG
Made up a pot of B-1 beans to go with some wild hog carnitas tacos
Snowball
AG
Bump
Law361
AG
Made a batch this weekend. Turned out great. Added half a link of sausage and doubled the bacon. Also only two serranos and I seeded them.
MarylandAG
Is that a michelada I spy in Ag 07's pic?
Snowball
AG
Post Snow Bump
CajunAggie
AG
Alright dammit -- I've seen this thread for 12 years! Gonna finally break down and make these beans this weekend! Will report back....
CajunAggie
AG
Followed the recipe except for cilantro, which I do not like.

OUTSTANDING. Went well with a smoked pork loin.

Will make them again in deer camp on opening weekend.
lurker76
Another callback for the recipe. We've been making these for years and always had a big crowd to enjoy them with. With the last year and not visiting family or friends, my wife and I decided the full size pot is too much fiber for my system, if you get what I mean.
We have cut the recipe in half, with one 27 ounce can of beans and a 12 ounce can of Clamato juice. We just half the rest of the ingredients and seed the Serrano peppers. Since she doesn't like the bacon in the beans, we saut the onions, Serrano peppers and cilantro in bacon grease and add ham chunks to the pot.
We get 2-3 servings each, which keeps us from having to store them any longer. Many thanks to B-1 83 for sharing the recipe.

One other thing, is to remind anyone that is eating them with you for the first time, let them know about the Clamato juice; a couple of years ago we made a batch and casually mentioned the Clamato, only to find out my brother's wife has a severe allergy to shellfish that we were not aware of.
Cassius
I've made this recipe. Decent, but mine is much better. I could never share mine though. Sorry.
Ag_07
AG
Had some leftovers and went ahead and blended em up then into the pan for refried beans
chickencoupe16
AG
Making some tonight!
FCBlitz
Ag_07 said:

Had some leftovers and went ahead and blended em up then into the pan for refried beans

I do the same and I get the best bean dip ever.....
cuz-i-can
AG
Bump...because i had to share this recipe tonight...
SpiderDude
AG
Cassius said:

I've made this recipe. Decent, but mine is much better. I could never share mine though. Sorry.

Made them for larger family group tonight... about 20 or so. Lots of compliments. I'm sure better beans are possible but not with this little effort and time.
Law361
AG
Just made a batch with Slovacek sausage and Hatch chile instead of serranos. Delicious
Ag_07
AG
Never thought of adding sausage to these. That may be a game changer.
txags92
AG
Ag_07 said:

Never thought of adding sausage to these. That may be a game changer.
They are great either way, but I prefer the sausage version over the bacon version (TWSS). Adding a little chorizo makes a good batch too.
lurker76
We'll definitely try the sausage next batch. My wife doesn't like the bacon in the beans, so we use bacon grease to saute the veggies and throw some ham in the pot. Slovacek's will be the best solution as we both love it. Thanks for the idea.
Papawclint77
AG
Hatch chilis make everything better!
AG
Any of you tried doing these on a smoker with the lid off to add some smoke flavor to it?

I think that may be really good, but I'm wondering if it would dry the beans out?
Ag_07
AG
I wouldn't think it would dry them out with the Clamato juice in them.
lurker76
When we grill chicken or steaks and wait for the wood to burn down some, I'll put a link of sausage and a package of hot dogs off to the side. It kills time and provides pre-cooked meats for other meals like this. It gets a nice smoky flavor in the sausage and goes great in red beans and rice too.
Old RV Ag
AG
Cassius said:

And that's how one does Barnes
RushHour
Wow! Saw this thread for the 1st time today and figured a Pinto Bean Recipe with 20+ pages couldn't be wrong.

Made this recipe as called but used 1 Jalapeno and 1 Hatch in place of the serranos because the wife is a weenie, and added 1lb of Bourgeois Meat Market Andouille.

Great simple recipe. I Did brown the bacon/sausage to render the fat, removed the meat, then sauteed down the onions on the remaining grease.

This is one for the books for sure.
lawless89
Trying my first batch tonight with hatch green chili's.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Top 3 tips from making these beans a few dozen times:

1. Dice bacon into smaller pieces and fry until very crispy like bacon bits. Leave grease in

2. Rinse beans or drain off juice from can. Seems like I get more flavor out of other ingredients.

3. If you have to adjust heat down for mass market appeal, de-seed serano peppers.

Seems like fresh tomatoes definitely add something as opposed to using canned.
AG
Got'em on right now. Substituted 1 jalapeno and 2 Hatch green chilies for the serranos cause my wife is a lightweight.

No cilantro. Can't stand that stuff, but added a dash of garlic powder.

I figure all y'all can't be wrong...

F it. These damn pictures only post about half the time. Tired of screwing with it.
lurker76
We just use bacon grease saved from cooking bacon for breakfast.

Agree in regards to draining the beans; it does provide more flavor from the other ingredients.

We do seed the serano peppers. Too much inconsistency in heat.

Agree on fresh tomatoes too. Blanch them to remove the skin and they are even better.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Plan is to try the fido beans at the FTA tailgate this Saturday!

Any updates to the recipe?
B-1 83
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

Get that Fido $&#@ off my thread.
mic suede
Fightin TX Aggie said:

I've made them several times. It's a good recipe.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.