Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

356,164 Views | 995 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by rlb28
Fightin TX Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
B-1 83 said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

Plan is to try the fido beans at the FTA tailgate this Saturday!

Any updates to the recipe?
Get that Fido $&#@ off my thread.
B-1,

I made your beans and they were a big hit.
lurker76
Fightin TX Aggie said:

Plan is to try the fido beans at the FTA tailgate this Saturday!

Any updates to the recipe?
After trying B-1's beans, I haven't made them any other way, so no comment on the Fido beans. B-1's recipe is just too good and too easy. We've moved to half batches now for just my wife and I. As stated, saut the veggies in bacon grease, but try ham or sausage instead of just the bacon.
AG
These freaking things were a hit. REALLY REALLY good!

Thanks B-1
FbgTxAg
AG
Thought I'd put this here since I started the other post about them.

My "variation" on the B-1 recipe. These beans were gone before the ribs (I wasn't in charge of the ribs, but they were above average) because everyone kept eating them with chips like Lupe Tortillas.

I wanted to make this as "easy as possible" as I didn't have much time so most stuff I bought ready to go. You can easily do it cheaper if you want to spend time cutting up your own vegetables.

4 - 24 oz cans of Bush's Pinto Beans
1 - 15 oz container of HEB diced white onion
1 - 3 oz container of HEB diced jalapeƱos
1 - 3 oz container of HEB diced cilantro
2 Tablespoons Diced Garlic
2 - 12 oz cans of HEB diced for chili tomatoes
1 - 16 oz bottle of Clamato
1 package of smoked ham hocks
1 package of bacon

Cook Bacon in oven saving the grease. While bacon is cooking cook down the ham hocks in a pot or skillet to break down the connective tissue and render most of the fat. Set aside to cool but keep any leftover grease in the pot and add the bacon grease to the pot. Cook onions, jalapeƱos, garlic, cilantro till soft, adding some salt and pepper.

Add tomatoes and Clamato and cook low simmer while you strain the beans from the cans in a colander. Add beans to pot. Keep cooking low simmer.

Pull or dice the cooked ham hocks and bacon. Add to the pot. Cook low for at least 45 minutes. Can cook longer (and lower) if you have the time, but they're good to go within an hour.

2 hours max. Pretty simple. Not one person (of 16) believed me when I told them that they were from a can and made in about an hour.

(Credit to B-1 for the original recipe)

I'm a believer and I may never make dried beans again. I might try variations like using ZingZang instead of Clamato, but these beans are remarkably good for what they are.
Old RV Ag
AG

An entire thread of this
sawemoff2010
AG
Bumping this.... Even after all these years, I'm still making these. I made two batches this week for two pot lucks, and they were a massive hit both times. Everyone loves them.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Thread about a bean recipe coming up on 260,000 views.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
B1s recipe has been a staple in the house for years at this point. I've given the recipe out to several people that couldn't get enough of them. Truly appreciated.

On a related note. Try Fido's cheese enchilada recipe as well. Up there with B1s greatness.

https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/1193106

Hah. I didn't see the angst about Fido's beans. Never tried them. Don't need to, but the enchiladas were a hit. Actually turned B1s beans into the refried beans for the enchilada dinner.
ajthomas
AG
Making these today with my first pork butt on the pellet smoker. Novice first effort but I'm excited
B-1 83
AG
ajthomas said:

Making these today with my first pork butt on the pellet smoker. Novice first effort but I'm excited
And?
ajthomas
AG
The beans were better than the pork...and I'll make both again. Thanks!
FinMick
AG
Jumping in--these are great, I make them randomly when I am expected to provide a dish--as I can't cook.

I just do the HEB thing--Grab the pre-chopped onions, a thing of pico, pre-chopped tomatoes etc... and just wing it in the instant pot.

Only reason I'm posting--but if others do it this way--note if you get the prechopped Jalapenos and "hot" pico--it has some heat (not really kid friendly). That said we tossed in a smaller can of Bush's Black Eye Peas for New Years and it worked well--but was still very spicy--but the BEPs helped.

Cheers to 2022!
Mark Fairchild
AG
Did the Insta Pot thing, turned out great, people asking for recipe!! Did EVERYTHING in the I Pot, bacon, everything. Even with the I Pot this is a long prep time, but worth it!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
DiskoTroop
Made it yesterdayā€¦ still just a stellar recipe.
polksalet12345
Main course at a hillbilly super bowl party.
All your base
txags92
AG
Old RV Ag said:

An entire thread of this
At least he doesn't put his hand in his rear pocket before making you kiss it...
B-1 83
AG
Doing a pot for our country club super bowl party on Sunday. I talk the talk, and walk the walk.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a manā€¦ā€¦..no, not really
BrokeAssAggie
Gettin ready to start a pot
B-1 83
AG
I substituted canned navy beans for the pintos, used turkey bacon, mild green chilies subbed for the serranos, V8 for the Clamato, and no onions or cilantro. Turned out like #$@&.

Oh.Hell.No. I didn't!

A pound of bacon was used with 2 53 oz cans of beans, just a couple of really big serranos sliced paper thin (they were pretty stout), and the usual onion, Clamato, and cilantro. One "trick" I've learned over the years is to do the sauting separately. The bacon gets browned, then removed. The onions go on the hot bacon grease by themselves until they just get a hint of brown (I do this fast and hot so the onion doesn't get too soft), then removed. Last comes the serranos. It seems like the three keep their individuality in the final product better this way rather than all being cooked together.
Rearview
AG
I finally made these tonight for the first time. My 3 serrano's must have been really hot because this is SPICY! (and I like spicy but Dang). Definitely will make again!
RCR06
AG
Rearview said:

I finally made these tonight for the first time. My 3 serrano's must have been really hot because this is SPICY! (and I like spicy but Dang). Definitely will make again!

First time I made it with 4 serranos and it was great. Next time it was so hot it was almost inedible. I've had good luck using 2 serranos and 2 jalapeƱos.
B-1 83
AG
RCR06 said:

Rearview said:

First time I made it with 4 serranos and it was great. Next time it was so hot it was almost inedible. I've had good luck using 2 serranos and 2 jalapeƱos.
Serranos are like a box of chocolatesā€¦ā€¦ā€¦
txagB2
AG
Bump.

I've made these many times using the OG recipe but I'm trying them today with dry beans I've had soaking over night for the first time just to try something new.

Do I just throw all of it in the pot at once and let it all simmer for a few hours with the beans, or do I cook the beans first for a couple hours and then mix everything in?
B-1 83
AG
txagB2 said:

Bump.

I've made these many times using the OG recipe but I'm trying them today with dry beans I've had soaking over night for the first time just to try something new.

Do I just throw all of it in the pot at once and let it all simmer for a few hours with the beans, or do I cook the beans first for a couple hours and then mix everything in?
I recommend doing your beans like normal, then adding the rest later.
txagB2
AG
Awesome, thanks! Love the beans!
eric76
AG
Rearview said:

I made two batches for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago.

In one batch, I used four serrano peppers with seeds. In the other batch, I used four serrano peppers, but only the seeds from one serrano pepper.

The first batch was so hot I didn't take it with me to Thanksgiving Dinner. I did take the second batch. That was still hot enough that not many would eat it.
txags92
AG
eric76 said:

Rearview said:

In one batch, I used four serrano peppers with seeds. In the other batch, I used four serrano peppers, but only the seeds from one serrano pepper.

The first batch was so hot I didn't take it with me to Thanksgiving Dinner. I did take the second batch. That was still hot enough that not many would eat it.
Did you cook the peppers at all before adding them? If you throw them in and cook them with the bacon a bit first, it takes some of the heat out of them. My wife and I use a skinny rotating potato peeler to core the peppers out first, then slice them up and roast them with the bacon a bit before we put everything else in the pot.
eric76
AG
txags92 said:

eric76 said:

Rearview said:

Did you cook the peppers at all before adding them? If you throw them in and cook them with the bacon a bit first, it takes some of the heat out of them. My wife and I use a skinny rotating potato peeler to core the peppers out first, then slice them up and roast them with the bacon a bit before we put everything else in the pot.
Thanks. I didn't know that. I just tossed them in with everything else and cooked them together. I'll try that next time.

A Blue Star for you.
Law361
AG
Wife is pregnant so needed to dial down the spice. Two poblanos instead of serranos and jalapeƱos. No bacon, just sausage this time
fullback44
AG
Law361 said:

Wife is pregnant so needed to dial down the spice. Two poblanos instead of serranos and jalapeƱos. No bacon, just sausage this time

That looks very tasty !
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
I love it when the Fido beans thread gets bumped.
gigemJTH12
AG
made these for my office. as always when I make these...people were like "WTF these are so good"

these are guaranteed to make you look like a pro chef.
RoadTripAG
AG
Just made these for the family and everyone was impressed! Really, really good. Thanks!
Snowball
AG
Yearly Bump
Golden
we have them at least once a month. people demand we bring these beans to family functions
2 53 oz cans of bush beans for full order

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.