Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

353,281 Views | 994 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
RCR06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieOO said:

AustinCountyAg said:

I"ve switched from using serrano's to throwing in a couple jalapenos whole instead. Easier to regulate the heat. Serrano's seem to be very hit or miss in terms of judging the level of heat.

What? Jalapeños are very inconsistent with heat. Some are essentially bell peppers, some burn your face off. Serranos are very consistent with their heat level.

I do 2 serranos and 2 jalapenos now. That's my sweet spot for heat. All peppers have some variability on heat level. I used to make this as originally written, with four serranos. I made a few batches that were great and a few that were almost inedible because they were so spicy. Most people say they have less of this variability in spiciness level with jalapenos in the finished product. Each individual pepper varies a bit, but the beans generally will come out less spicy when subbing jalapenos for serranos.
AgySkeet06
AG
These beans are as legendary as Doss on this board. I always make them whenever i smoke a brisket.

I will admit I had a craving the other week for these after I had already started smoking some pork tenderloins but didnt have fresh tomatoes or clamato juice. Didnt want to go to the store so I substituted 2 cans of rotel and made a "poor man" version which scratched the itch.
AggieOO
RCR06 said:

AggieOO said:

AustinCountyAg said:

I"ve switched from using serrano's to throwing in a couple jalapenos whole instead. Easier to regulate the heat. Serrano's seem to be very hit or miss in terms of judging the level of heat.

What? Jalapeños are very inconsistent with heat. Some are essentially bell peppers, some burn your face off. Serranos are very consistent with their heat level.

I do 2 serranos and 2 jalapenos now. That's my sweet spot for heat. All peppers have some variability on heat level. I used to make this as originally written, with four serranos. I made a few batches that were great and a few that were almost inedible because they were so spicy. Most people say they have less of this variability in spiciness level with jalapenos in the finished product. Each individual pepper varies a bit, but the beans generally will come out less spicy when subbing jalapenos for serranos.
i agree, on average a serrano is spicier than a jalapeno, but jalapenos vary more. To me, its much easier to regulate heat using serranos b/c they are more consistent with their heat level.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Made some tonight, used jalapeño instead of Serrano and added ham chunks leftover from Christmas.
B-1 83
AG
Serranos are like a box of chocolates……..
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
lurker76
We made a half batch, as usual, for the game today, and as usual, they are delicious. B-1, I can't tell you how many times we've made these beans, and they are outstanding every time. You have sour unending thanks for sharing the recipe.
B-1 83
AG
lurker76 said:

We made a half batch, as usual, for the game today, and as usual, they are delicious. B-1, I can't tell you how many times we've made these beans, and they are outstanding every time. You have sour unending thanks for sharing the recipe.
But I thought you liked them…..
lurker76
I must have been in bean euphoria and OBVIOUSLY made a mistake. We not only like them, we love them.
Please accept my most humble apology.
B-1 83
AG
lurker76 said:

I must have been in bean euphoria and OBVIOUSLY made a mistake. We not only like them, we love them.
Please accept my most humble apology.
whisperingbill
I'm going to give this a go. The key being ....A. It doesn't take that long vs. starting with dried beans. B. Surely this thread wouldn't be the greatest bean thread I've ever seen if the beans didn't turn out good.
AG
whisperingbill said:

I'm going to give this a go. The key being ....A. It doesn't take that long vs. starting with dried beans. B. Surely this thread wouldn't be the greatest bean thread I've ever seen if the beans didn't turn out good.

You will not regret it.

This has become my wife's favorite dish.

I've made a few twists to it, including putting a ham hock in the pot, plus a couple other items. I hate cilantro, so removed that. Here's my most recent iteration:

1 large onion, coarsly chopped
2 medium tomatoes, coarsly chopped
Fresh garlic to taste, usually 4-5 minced cloves
4 hatch green chile peppers (or favorite peppers), finely chopped (w/seeds)
1 jalapeno chopped with seeds
2 cups Clamato juice
2 large cans Bush's pinto beans (strained)
Smoked ham hock
2 links Andouille sausage
6 strips of bacon
1 Tbs lard
Worcestershire sauce to taste
Chili lime seasoning to taste
Cajun creole garlic butter seasoning to taste

Heat lard until liquified
Add bacon and cook until it starts to brown
Add onion and garlic. Cook until they just start getting soft.
Add beans and all remaining ingredients.
Bring to boil and simmer 1 hour.

AG
By the way, this stuff gets better the 2nd,3rd,4th days progressively.
whisperingbill
4 said:

whisperingbill said:

You will not regret it.

I've made a few twists to it, including putting a ham hock in the pot, plus a couple other items. I hate cilantro, so removed that. Here's my most recent iteration:

2 cups Clamato juice
Smoked ham hock
6 strips of bacon
1 Tbs lard

So, I did a Kroger order and they left the 4 peppers out. So I'm going to go get them in the morning. My only real question is, do you leave the bacon in a whole piece, or do you cut it up some? I've got some deer sausage i could toss in. ......Dang these beans must be good !!!!! I can't imagine , but I'm giving it a shot tomorrow or Wednesday. Dang dental appt tomorrow.
B-1 83
AG
whisperingbill said:

4 said:

whisperingbill said:

You will not regret it.

2 cups Clamato juice
Smoked ham hock
6 strips of bacon
1 Tbs lard

So, I did a Kroger order and they left the 4 peppers out. So I'm going to go get them in the morning. My only real question is, do you leave the bacon in a whole piece, or do you cut it up some? I've got some deer sausage i could toss in. ......Dang these beans must be good !!!!! I can't imagine , but I'm giving it a shot tomorrow or Wednesday. Dang dental appt tomorrow.
You ignore him, and do this: (Yes, you chop the bacon)
Quote:

4 serrano peppers, finely chopped (w/seeds)
1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
2 cups "Clamato" juice
2 large cans Bush's pinto beans
6 strips of bacon
1 Tbs oil (or lard)

Cook onion in hot oil (lard) until just getting soft. Add bacon.
When bacon just starts to brown, add beans and all remaining ingredients.
Bring to boil and simmer 45 minutes.
lurker76
Make sure no one has a shellfish allergy if you use the Clamato. If so, or not sure, substitute zing-zing or V8 juice, which is what I use now. We had a close call a few years ago, when I announced the Clamato just before serving and found out one of the guests is allergic.
Ag_07
AG
These are not B-1 beans
AG
whisperingbill said:

4 said:

whisperingbill said:

You will not regret it.

2 cups Clamato juice
Smoked ham hock
6 strips of bacon
1 Tbs lard

Oh, sorry, yeah I chop the bacon
AG
Ag_07 said:

These are not B-1 beans

I clearly said I made a few changes. You can do that when you cook, you know.
RCR06
AG
lurker76 said:

Make sure no one has a shellfish allergy if you use the Clamato. If so, or not sure, substitute zing-zing or V8 juice, which is what I use now. We had a close call a few years ago, when I announced the Clamato just before serving and found out one of the guests is allergic.

Someone mentioned it recently several posts ago. There is a shellfish allergy(shrimp, crab, lobster) and a mollusk/bivalve(clam, oyster, mussels, scallops) allergy. If you are allergic to shellfish it doesn't mean you're automatically allergic to mollusks. It's possible to be allergic to both I guess. I know, don't want to chance it when serving to other people. Just thought it was interesting.
Fleff
AG
Yeah, that was me and I don't know that I was super clear. The most common shellfish allergy is to crustaceans, and that is how I am afflicted. Mollusks are fine, so oysters, clams, mussels, etc. but shrimp, lobster, crab and I have problems.

Interestingly enough, I am not allergic to crawfish, so there is also something with salt vs fresh or I don't know what.

Anyway, better to be safe, but felt I would share my experience and brief research on the topic.
Thaddeus Beauregard
Hey B-1, do you strain the water out of the beans cans or just pour it all in without straining?

I strained and the recipe turned out great, but just making sure.
whisperingbill
I have a dental appt. that's about 4 blocks from Coopers bar b q. I was thinking on getting my beans from them. But I'm not going to do that. I'm cooking these sweet bass turds JUST like the cook said to do. I'm "pearch mouthed", meaning I have tender mouth. So I'm a little worried about the heat. Might back off a pepper or two, but other than that, I'm rocking these bad boys just like the directions say. I think it's going to cool off tomorrow night, so I might cook them tomorrow. Cornbread is a must too. I look forward to being pleasantly surprised.
RCR06
AG
I strain out the liquid in the can and then rinse the beans. Always done it this way so I'm not sure if it tastes better one way or the other.
lurker76
We drain but don't rinse.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Finally have my first pot of these on the stove. Did not drain and I did a whole 53 oz can with half the other ingredients. I'll get it right next time, but they still smell amazing. Might be a good idea to clarify some of these questions in the OP considering all the confusion throughout the thread. When I see "large can" I'm thinking larger than the standard 27 oz can.
whisperingbill
I just started my beans percolating. I used a 53 oz can of bush beans with everything the sane except I used jalapeno peppers. They are just starting to smell a little. Stopped at the soul food place in Bryan and got me a fried pork chop and cabbage.
whisperingbill
The night the OP met the Mexican cook who gave him this recipe, is officially a great night in my life too !!! I could never imagine that you could throw those ingredients together and get such a fantastic outcome in such a short period of time. I feel like I've won the bean lottery. I feel like I know the Mexican cook. It's as if a bean miracle happens in that pot. To quote the great Jules from Pulp Fiction:Jules:

Whether or not what we experienced was an According to Hoyle miracle is insignificant. What is significant is that I felt the touch of God. God got involved." ........Thats how good these beans are. I think God gets involved !!!..lolol.... I can see how people might want to tinker with the recipe, and I don't think that would be a bad thing at all. But I could feel the presence of that cook, and i did it exactly like he said, and they were beyond wonderful. Thank you OP !!!!!!
lurker76
Welcome to the club, Bill.
B-1 83
AG
Thaddeus Beauregard said:

Hey B-1, do you strain the water out of the beans cans or just pour it all in without straining?

I strained and the recipe turned out great, but just making sure.
Most of it. I don't make a great effort at it, so likely 1/4 or so of it stays in there.
Thaddeus Beauregard
Thanks B-1! Have you used only the regular Clamato juice, or have you also tried the spicier versions of Clamato?

Just wondering which gives best results. I used the picante Clamato last time, and it was delicious. Next time I plant to try this version:

Ag_07
AG
I use Zing Zang instead of the clamato and I've seen others throughout use various bloody mary mixes.

For me it's a bit thicker and gives a bit more depth of flavor that the clamato.
Rattler12
27 pages about beans.....yall wanta know how I know A&M graduates a lot of folk with engineering degrees without me telling you how I know A&M graduates a lot of folks with engineering degrees? As my neighbor's wife says about her engineer husband of 50 years ......"He analyzes till he's paralyzed."
Agasaurus Tex
AG
It's in our DNA.
B-1 83
AG
Never have, but I'll allow it.
ShotOver
AG
We just tried these for the first time yesterday….went great with the brisket I smoked. Thanks B1….our new go to.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.