Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

351,191 Views | 994 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
ursusguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cooking up a batch today for a cookout. Host specifically ask "hey, can you bring those beans again".
txags92
AG
We cooked a batch on Saturday and instead of using serranos, we used 2 hatch chiles diced up and instead of bacon we used diced smoked sausage. They were excellent! Glad we had the foresight to make it a double batch.
Swarely
Made a batch this weekend for the arky game. Holy hell, I'm a believer! Leftovers are lunch all week. I can't wait until Thanksgiving to bust this recipe out for the family! Well done!
B-1 83
AG
Made these for a contest yesterday. Good batch, but the judges went for some that were more like pork and beans than pintos.
PFG
AG
Good beans to serve a big group, but a pot of cooked raw pintos wins over canned every time.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
I made a batch today. They were sure good.
GasAg90
Making them next week for work- thanks for saving me the search!
turfman80
AG
Reading this entire thread for the first time and will definitely make the recipe very soon. I'm glad that there are so many people out there that love pintos, too! Could eat them (almost) every day.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Making a double batch for the company Christmas party tomorrow
proc
AG
Bringing it for the family tamale dinner.
Ogre09
AG
Saved the ham bone from Christmas to make a pot of these for NYD.
aggieband 83
AG
I had these beans again tonight. Also tried out my electric turkey fryer for the first time. Excellent supper!
kdm_01
AG
This recipe made a believer out of me. While not the beans from childhood these are excellent borracho-style beans.
I will definitely make again.
txags92
AG
We did a batch that was half black eyed peas and half pints for new years day. Used pork and venison sausage instead of bacon and hatch pepper instead of Serrano. Really like the smoother heat of the hatch versus the serranos.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
I made a batch to take to my MIL's on Christmas Eve. Because both she and my SIL can't take hardly any heat I used 2 jalapenos in lieu of the 4 serranos. They were quite impressed and commented how great the beans were at least twice during the meal. I thought they were missing a little something & so did my lovely bride.

I made a real batch later in the week following the actual recipe and as usual they were really good.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I made these on new year's substituting black eyed peas for one can of pintos and while not as good as the ones my mom makes it was pretty good considering the ease of the recipe. I used 6 Serranos and that gave it a good kick but I love spicy food.
Noblemen06
AG
BIG thanks to B-1 for sharing his recipe...gave it a shot after following the thread for about a year and the wife and I love it. Having some at my desk for lunch today!
Post removed:
by user
Noblemen06
AG

AustinCountyAg
I've got about 15 people coming over for the game Sunday and I'm trying to figure out how much to make. Double or triple the recipe?
LewisChilds
AG
I've done fajitas for 12 and did 54 oz of beans.
ChampsAg
Made them with the instant pot last night with dry beans. Came out great! Need to tweak a little but very pleased with the outcome
BaitShack
AG
How long did you do in the instant pot?
ChampsAg
Soaked the beans for 30 minutes or so. Cooked the bacon and onion then added everything else. Used 2 cans of Rotel. Used 2 cups water but should have only used 1 cup.

I cooked for 22 minutes and 15 minutes natural release. Brand were a little crunchy for my taste so did another 10 minutes. Next time I will try 35 minutes and 15 minutes natural release
GurmTsu
The Clamato can always be replaced wit Mr & Mrs T's Bold and Spicey Bloody Mary Mix!!!!!
Post removed:
by user
B-1 83
AG
ChampsAg said:

Soaked the beans for 30 minutes or so. Cooked the bacon and onion then added everything else. Used 2 cans of Rotel. Used 2 cups water but should have only used 1 cup.

I cooked for 22 minutes and 15 minutes natural release. Brand were a little crunchy for my taste so did another 10 minutes. Next time I will try 35 minutes and 15 minutes natural release
. There's no Rotel in the recipe. That's part of the point in the recipe.
FSGuide
I always love this type of response to a recipe:

"I followed your recipe except I substituted all the ingredients and then I changed up the cook time and cook temperature. I didn't like it. I don't know why everyone else says it was so great".

FabricatorAg
Ok Ags, this recipe is legit. I was in a hurry and used canned beans but still got rave reviews. Even an old timer I hunt with who takes his beans almost religiously, rated them a 8.5 out of 10. I substituted the tomatoes for a can of rotel is the only change I made.
txags92
AG
B-1 83 said:

ChampsAg said:

. There's no Rotel in the recipe. That's part of the point in the recipe.
So the canned beans are part of the recipe to make them quick and easy, but using canned tomatoes instead of slicing them yourself is sacreligious? Ummm...ok.
ChampsAg
I was in a hurry! Apologies. Family loves the recipe
HumbleAg04
AG
third coast.. said:

GurmTsu said:

The Clamato can always be replaced wit Mr & Mrs T's Bold and Spicey Bloody Mary Mix!!!!!
hooooly **** game changer.

This was so page 15.
B-1 83
AG
No, Rotel is not just tomatoes and changes the flavor
ILikeTacos
AG
B-1 83 said:

No, Rotel is not just tomatoes and changes the flavor

Thank you for saying that kinder than I could.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.