Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

351,324 Views | 994 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
NC2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Making a batch right now for tomorrow. I ended up cooking the bacon in the oven and then used the grease to cook the onions. I can't wait for this batch to cook...
txamu11
AG
Been meaning to bump this thread. Cooked these for the first time at the ranch a couple months ago for the pre deer season bs fest and haven't stopped hearing about them since.

Edit to add: they are now referred to as Aggie beans
New Hampshire Ag
AG
I've got my first pot of these beans on the stove now. If they taste as good as they smell we are in for a great meal!
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Made some a week or so ago. Added a couple of links of cut up sausage.
eric76
AG
I'm being bribed.

We're having a company Christmas party a few days before Christmas.

I was going to make Fondant Potato but one woman here said that if I make the beans, she'll bring me a home-made pecan pie.
GasAg90
Made them this weekend exactly per B-1's recipe.

They are "Best.pinto.beans.ever"
Spinnaker96
AG
These truly are the best pinto beans ever. I made them for my company Thanksgiving lunch...then again for the family. They were GONE!!
jobu93
AG
making them this weekend!
sawemoffshort85
I'm cooking for 75 people next weekend. Pretty equally split between and women - all adults. Any suggestion on quantities ?
Agmechanic
AG
We eat these at least once a month. amazing
Gigemags05
AG
Made them for the first time tonight. Wow! Greatness!
AquaAg1984
AG
When this thread started there were a number of doubters out there. Some still pop up here and there.

Don't have any doubts, these beans are some fine eating.
tmaggie50
AG
If I wanted them to taste alittle less tomatoey and more bean like, would you just use less Clamato juice and use some of the bean liquid? Anyone ever tried this?
AMF 2 AMC
AG
I don't drain the beans, so can't help you there.

Try not draining the beans and see if the additional liquid reduces the tomato flavor enough. If that doesn't work, then try reducing the Clamato and replacing the reduced volume with water. Maybe 1.5 cups Clamato and a half cup of water might do the trick for you.
NC2001
AG
This is now a staple for all holiday meals. I'm making a pot right now.
SoTXAg09
AG
quote:
If I wanted them to taste alittle less tomatoey and more bean like, would you just use less Clamato juice and use some of the bean liquid? Anyone ever tried this?

I only use half the Clamato and add a cup of dark beer.
RCR06
AG
I like it as is, but I'd replace clamato with chicken stock if trying to cut down on tomato
Post removed:
by user
eric76
AG
quote:
I'm being bribed.

I was going to make Fondant Potato but one woman here said that if I make the beans, she'll bring me a home-made pecan pie.
We had several people who cannot stand anything spicy so I used only two serrano peppers. The result was too mild.

I didn't catch it in time because I took my medicine while cooking and was not supposed to eat anything for an hour or more after taking it (and before for that matter). So my first taste was while sitting at the table.

For what it's worth, those who don't like hot foods liked the milder, gentler beans.

Also, I'm still waiting for the pecan pie.
New Hampshire Ag
AG
I made these beans for Christmas Eve dinner. They were a huge hit and several people asked for the recipe.
AquaAg1984
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm being bribed.

We had several people who cannot stand anything spicy so I used only two serrano peppers. The result was too mild.

I didn't catch it in time because I took my medicine while cooking and was not supposed to eat anything for an hour or more after taking it (and before for that matter). So my first taste was while sitting at the table.

For what it's worth, those who don't like hot foods liked the milder, gentler beans.

You toned down the recipe and your work for a few folks that should move to North Dakota? That includes kids as well. Case in point, kids in Mexico eat the same as the older folks early on. There are no chicken tender or grilled cheese options at family gatherings.

I would rather cook the recipe as it should be cooked and if they are too wimpy to enjoy it then screw 'em. Why alter the real flavor for just a few?
Rhwill1973
Told the wife I was cooking tonight. Fried up a batch of quail and made my first pot of beans. I have to agree with most. They are fantastic. The whole family enjoyed them.
eric76
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm being bribed.

You toned down the recipe and your work for a few folks that should move to North Dakota? That includes kids as well. Case in point, kids in Mexico eat the same as the older folks early on. There are no chicken tender or grilled cheese options at family gatherings.

I would rather cook the recipe as it should be cooked and if they are too wimpy to enjoy it then screw 'em. Why alter the real flavor for just a few?
Quite true.

One Mexican woman there could barely speak English. She saw me chopping the serrano peppers. I had to assure her that they weren't very spicy before she would eat them.
Texker
AG
Been awhile since I made these so made a batch this weekend. Damn good!
PooDoo
AG
Made em this weekend... Turned out great.

My wife, who is not a big bean eater, wants me to make them again this week.
End Of Message
AG
Big batch on. Always look forward to them.
FincAg
AG
About to deliver this to our Super Bowl party. I saved some for myself at the house because I doubt I will be coming home with any.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Got a pot cooking myself
ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
Canned Bush beans? My grandmother would roll around in her grave.

I prefer soaking my beans and starting from dry beans rather than canned.

The rest of the recipe sounds good, I add sausage to my beans and serve over rice. I also add ham with bacon.
tmaggie50
AG
One of the main points of this recipe is that it's super quick and simple.
B-1 83
AG
quote:

The rest of the recipe sounds good, I add sausage to my beans and serve over rice. I also add ham with bacon.

Read the whole thread
Sooner Born
Congrats! Start your own bean thread with your own recipe and see how it does.
Bregxit
AG
quote:

In addition to the above posts, do you think Bush's grows the beans in the can? Theirs are soaked just like yours are soaked.

And you know, there is a damned good reason this thread is still around after six years and it ain't because this recipe sucks.
mtony77
AG
Made them again tonight and they were awesome
End Of Message
AG
Blasphemy!!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.