Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

351,241 Views | 994 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
Ducks4brkfast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
About 6 years later, I've finally got a pot simmering on the stove. Looks good!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Good beans
NC2001
AG
Made some for dinner this evening, and it was a hit. Unfortunately there were no leftovers :-(
jt2hunt
AG
Made a pot last week. Really good. I would prefer to make the beans from dry ones instead of canned, but in a pinch these are really good. Great for parties and catering.
Corps_Ag12
AG
If you are really in a pinch, you can use 2 cans of rotel instead of a chopped tomato, and a small can of chopped jalopenos. Then cut up the bacon and onion and cilantro. Use the canned beans and it still comes out great.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
I'm going to make a pot from dry beans tonight, but will try this recipe pretty soon.
Spicewood Ag
AG
I love dumping a ton of pico into my pinto beans so I give you the following;

~easy pico recipe~

You will need
1. A car
2. A nearby Taco Cabana
3. Lack of shame

Step one: go to taco cabana and order a water and fill the cup with their pico it's delicious
DirtDiver
This was a really good recipe. I had it on my phone for years and made it this last weekend. Made a few exceptions: 1 dry beans, 2 crock pot all day until beans were soft.

RCR06
AG
I've made these a handful of times. Always good.

What makes me laugh though is that there are always a couple people that post and say they used dry beans instead of canned beans. Maybe its a pride thing.
BlueMiles
AG
May I ask what your objection to dried beans is?
B-1 83
AG
As the "guru" of this recipe, I will tell you that dry beans made right and used in this recipe is outstanding, but it defeats 3/4 of the point.
GreasenUSA
AG
Yes, the point of this recipe is to be quick, easy, and good.

Dry beans are how pintos should be done, but don't belong on this thread.
HUEY04
AG
I have done this recipe with soaked dry beans but actually prefer it with canned. I do thoroughly rinse the canned beans in a strainer first though and that makes a big difference.
BlueMiles
AG
Ah. Grasshoppa appreciates wise TexAgs information!
eric76
AG
I made a batch of these beans on Saturday to take to a Memorial Weekend party.

One guy there from Monterey, Mexico who really liked them told me what beans in that style are called down there, but I didn't recognize the word he used.
CT'97
AG
I"m going to cook these for a large family reunion this weekend. Looking at 50 people so I need a little help with scaling the recipe up. How many servings do you normally get out of the original recipe?

The beans will go along with standard BBQ and fixin's.
gillom
AG
I double the recipe for 25 grown men as a side to fajitas. Perfect amount. If you are serving women and children I'd say make 3 batches.
CT'97
AG
Thanks
Texas A&M - 144 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.
gillom
AG
Or you can always make 4 batches and turn whatever is left over into refried bean dip the next day. I melt some butter in a skillet, add the beans and a can of rotel, mash/fry. As you mash them the starch from the beans will start to thicken it. Put some cheese on top, lid on to melt. Voila.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Got a pot on the stove right now.
ursusguy
AG
I'm working on making this in the office microwave. Getting close.

My officemate is occasionally not amused with my cooking experimentation at the office.
RCR06
AG
I have nothing against dried beans, but the recipe calls for canned beans. There are no less than 100 people saying they taste great with the canned beans the recipe calls for. What I think is funny is that people insist on saying I made this recipe, but used dried beans.
BlueMiles
AG
Yeah, I do find it funny when people on sites such as allrecipes.com write reviews stating that they made the recipe (and gave it a rating!), but changed everything about it.
Sooner Born
So I've received such rave feedback on these beans, I decided to enter them into a contest last weekend at a BBQ contest I was competing in. I forgot the fresh tomato and cilantro and still took 2nd place, losing to 1st by .004.

You can now officially refer to these as B-1 83's Award Winning Beans.
eric76
AG
One woman at the office tried some that I had left over from the Memorial Weekend party. She liked them so much that she went home that night and made them herself. And she's made them at least once since then, too.
End Of Message
AG
After watching this thread for (what feels like) years, finally tried the recipe.

Absolutely delicious.

God Bless you, B-1
Maroonedinaustin
AG
When you say large cans how many oz. are we talking per can? They come on three sizes.
SoTXAg09
AG
I gave the recipe to my mom for a family gathering, she used dry beans because that's what she had on hand already. Literally no difference whatsoever between canned and dry, IMO.
SoTXAg09
AG
Two 27oz cans.
End Of Message
AG
Second round today for in-laws and its better than the first.

Thank you, B-1!
Average Joe
AG
My wife requests these weekly. We use Chapel Hill green chili sausage instead of bacon and we add diced potatoes about halfway through cooking.
Cen-Tex
AG
quote:
Second round today for in-laws and its better than the first.

Thank you, B-1!

Pinche - did you prepare using the original recipe?
End Of Message
AG
Yes, to a T.
Cen-Tex
AG
Gracias
Ogre09
AG
Who bumped this thread? You've put a hankering on me. I need to get a pot going this week now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.