Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

351,228 Views | 994 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
RebelE91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks to this thread this recipe has become one of my staples when I don't have a lot of time. A pot of these beans and some cornbread......mmmmmmmmmmm.
txags92
AG
For those wondering...pulled pork is excellent with these beans. Tried it tonight and almost can't wait for lunch tomorrow.
ursusguy
AG
Hmmm, my wife is gone for the week. My office may not be around. Sounds like a cabbage and beans week to me.
AZAG08
AG
Made the fido beans today (minus bay leaves and apple cider, and I added cilantro) they were great! Thanks for the recipie
Duck Blind
AG
I probably make these beans 3 times per month. Those of you on this board who HAVEN'T tried this recipe are really missing out...
Charlie Hodge
This is a good recipe, but I cut the clamato to one cup.
clintaggie04
AG
Tried em tonight for the first time. They are as good as everyone says.
BowSowy
AG
Fido's recipe was excellent!

I plan to make these for my tailgate this weekend, but had a few questions:

1. If I wanted to add beer to the recipe, should I use it to completely replace the stock? I was thinking about using Shiner
2. Since we'll be getting to the tailgate in the morning, I was thinking about making them the day before. What's the best way to reheat? Microwave? Oven?

Thanks!
reb,
AG
beans, beans, good for the heart!

leaning strongly towards another batch of the quick beans. this time, with cilantro.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
What are some suggestions for either cutting back or replacing the cilantro?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Made these for dinner tonight. They are good but I am going to remove some of the pepper seeds and cut the clamoto some. Overall great flavor.
eric76
AG
I was just at the grocery store and saw that they had some cans of Bush's pinto beans that are nearly twice the size of a regular can of Bush's pinto beans.

Are these the "large cans" called for in the recipe or is it the regular cans?
lakeside aggie
AG
Made another batch of these yesterday, and they were great as usual. Damn good receipe.
Mule_lx
AG
I'm trying this tonight. Will report.
Campfire Soul
We made this recipe a few weeks ago and I was far from impressed.
Mule_lx
AG
Pure awesome. Can't wait til lunch tomorrow.
ValleyRatAg
AG
Made the beans last night. Great recipe, thanks.
FSGuide
^
^
^
IsleAg you must have messed up the recipe somehow. I have yet to serve this to anyone who does not really like it. And my family (which is a big family) has always been one of the traditional "start with hard/dry beans and cook them all day" kinda beam family.
Cen-Tex
AG
I made the Bush's Bean recipe last night. They were excellent, especially with fried shrimp & fish. A great short-cut recipe.
SoTXAg09
AG
quote:
Made these for dinner tonight. They are good but I am going to remove some of the pepper seeds and cut the clamoto some. Overall great flavor.

Made these for the first time last night with some fried backstrap. Awesome recipe! Probably going to tweak it a little like this tho.
B-1 83
AG
I did them for the guys at deer camp this weekend. I de-seed the serranos these days and add the chupped peppers in while the bacon and onions are cooking. It takes some of the heat out and leaves the flavor.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Made these for the first time tonight. I do a lot of cooking and didn't see anything special in the ingredients that would make them special. They were amazing!
TyHolden
AG
made the fido beans today. best-beans-evar...
eric76
AG
I've made this recipe several times. Every time before now I used the largest sized can of Bush's beans that the grocery store carries. The results were always very hot and would leave me sweating profusely.

The other day they had a can of larger beans that were approximately twice as large as the usual cans. So I used two cans, one of the really large and one of what they usually carry. The resulting beans only made me sweat a bit, not like I needed windshield wipers on my forehead. It was quite good but I'm not sure I prefer this result over the previous much hotter results.

So when the recipe calls for "large can", which sized can is that?
lakeside aggie
AG
I still contend this makes the best beans you can cook up. Pretty hard to beat.
eric76
AG
Hmm. Bush apparently has an 111 oz can of beans, too.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=158836

I assume the recipe doesn't mean to use two 111 oz cans. Two cans would be 222 oz or 13.875 pounds of beans.
eric76
AG
quote:
I still contend this makes the best beans you can cook up. Pretty hard to beat.
For me, it really depends on what I feel like eating in the way of beans at the moment.

By the way, what size cans do you use?
Sooner Born
quote:
Hmm. Bush apparently has an 111 oz can of beans, too.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=158836

I assume the recipe doesn't mean to use two 111 oz cans. Two cans would be 222 oz or 13.875 pounds of beans.

Don't let the libs get wind you're cooking up that many lbs of beans. They may try to slap some environmental regulation on you in an effort to curb methane gas production in order to prevent global climate change.
munch96
AG
Gonna have to try some of these recipes....

Is it wrong this was going through my mind while reading this thread?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dm9rN6oTs
eric76
AG
quote:
Don't let the libs get wind you're cooking up that many lbs of beans. They may try to slap some environmental regulation on you in an effort to curb methane gas production in order to prevent global climate change.
I'm in favor of global warming. Maybe I should double up on the recipe.
Ag83
AG
eric, see page 2 for can size since it wasn't specified in the original post. It's two 27 oz cans.

[This message has been edited by Ag83 (edited 7/24/2012 9:58p).]
SoTXAg09
AG
I made this for some family this weekend. Replaced one cup of clamato with one cup of beer and deseeded the serranos to be safe. My grandmother asked for the recipe. Win!
eric76
AG
Over the weekend, I made some more using two of the 27 oz cans.

The results were too mild for me.

I think that using a 16 oz can and a 27 oz can is much better and if you want a lot of heat use two 16 oz cans.

But two 27 oz cans, never again unless I nearly double the other ingredients.
agcrock2005
AG
Holy Hell. Crazy good for 45 minutes of prep.
ursusguy
AG
Well, now I know what I'm eating for lunch the next week and making for a dove hunt.

I'm not real heat tolerant, but love jalapeno flavor. I simply throw in 4-5 uncut peppers. Adds great flavor without the heat.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.