OTR Mobile Internet?

119,487 Views | 660 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BrazosDog02
MaroonBloodedAg2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anybody have any experience with OTR Mobile for internet service? I remember seeing it mentioned here a while back, but can't find the post.

I live in a rural area and my only options for internet are pretty much satellite or cell service. Two years ago, Verizon flat out lied about their home internet service to get me to sign up, my contract is finally up.

Is OTR Mobile actually unlimited, meaning there is no data caps, no throttling, etc? This would be hooked up to my router and used as whole home internet.

Maybe someone has a better recommendation?
tfunk02
AG
This is most of my post from another thread. I am the one with OTR Mobile. They have been great. I have noticed no throttling or network management. I have a Cradlepoint modem connected to an Orbi system.

________

I ended up experimenting with cell services, boosters, MIMO antennas etc.

This site has been very helpful even though they are RV based information. https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

This site is also very helpful. https://ltehacks.com/index.php

I'd recommend getting a real enterprise level modem if you plan to make it your primary internet. I tried phones tethered to a computer that bridged the connection, and I tried the consumer based hotspots (AT&T Nighthawk / Verizon Jetpack) connected to my wifi system. Nothing gave me constant and solid internet until I got a Cradlepoint modem.
https://5gstore.com/product/8703_cradlepoint_netcloud_essentials_for_branch_with_cba850_cat_18_lte_advanced_pro_1_year.html
Here's a cheaper unlocked version. It could be all you need.
https://ltefix.com/shop/routers/cradlepoint-routers/cradlepoint-cba850lpe/

Currently the high end one (mine) is locked to AT&T, but it should be unlocked soon. I plan to have a Verizon Postpaid unlimited in the second sim slot as a fall back connection (truly unlimited but always network managed). The AT&T sim currently in there is through a 3rd party that gives you unlimited and is not subject to network management. https://www.otrmobile.com/

I've just been down this road, so let me know if I can help.

This has been my daily usage.

Speed Tests:
khkman22
AG
tfunk02 said:

This is most of my post from another thread. I am the one with OTR Mobile. They have been great. I have noticed no throttling or network management. I have a Cradlepoint modem connected to an Orbi system.

________

I ended up experimenting with cell services, boosters, MIMO antennas etc.

This site has been very helpful even though they are RV based information. https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

This site is also very helpful. https://ltehacks.com/index.php

I'd recommend getting a real enterprise level modem if you plan to make it your primary internet. I tried phones tethered to a computer that bridged the connection, and I tried the consumer based hotspots (AT&T Nighthawk / Verizon Jetpack) connected to my wifi system. Nothing gave me constant and solid internet until I got a Cradlepoint modem.
https://5gstore.com/product/8703_cradlepoint_netcloud_essentials_for_branch_with_cba850_cat_18_lte_advanced_pro_1_year.html
Here's a cheaper unlocked version. It could be all you need.
https://ltefix.com/shop/routers/cradlepoint-routers/cradlepoint-cba850lpe/

Currently the high end one (mine) is locked to AT&T, but it should be unlocked soon. I plan to have a Verizon Postpaid unlimited in the second sim slot as a fall back connection (truly unlimited but always network managed). The AT&T sim currently in there is through a 3rd party that gives you unlimited and is not subject to network management. https://www.otrmobile.com/

I've just been down this road, so let me know if I can help.

This has been my daily usage.

Speed Tests:

Are you talking about a Nighthawk hotspot like this? On that hotspot, can you plug a standard router into it to get better coverage in the house?

OTR recommends AT&T and that unlocked may not work. But for a multi carrier Cradlepoint modem, would that be any concern? Do you think this modem would work fine as an access point for the whole house? Although being refurbished makes me a little nervous.

This whole solution is new to me, but something I've been looking for as I pay $60/mo for my 8Mbps fixed wireless plan. I'm right next to an AT&T tower and 3-4 years ago I was getting 80/20. Do you think I would get those speeds with the solution? I'm on Cricket now, but assume those speeds would still be available on AT&T.

Just curious, how much else is there to research on this? Is it as simple as ordering a sim and modem and then plug it in and you're good to go?

Why would a modem like this not work okay? I would just plug my existing router to give additional coverage throughout the house. Cradlepoints don't have the best reviews on Amazon, so hesitant to spend a lot of money on one.
Chrundle the Great
AG
You got better results with the cat 3 cradle point than the nighthawk? I have a nighthawk on Att and I went with it cuz it's supposed to be cat 16 gigabit so that's frustrating if true. I live just outside of Bryan and pull 5 mb on a good day (and if I'm not being throttled)
tfunk02
AG
Quote:

You got better results with the cat 3 cradle point than the nighthawk? I have a nighthawk on Att and I went with it cuz it's supposed to be cat 16 gigabit so that's frustrating if true. I live just outside of Bryan and pull 5 mb on a good day (and if I'm not being throttled)
My Cradlepoint is a Cat 18. The Nighthawk got too hot and would sometimes crash for home use. I ended up pulling the battery on it to keep it cooler, but I just couldn't come close to the performance of the Cradlepoint. It grabs a much better signal and it stays cool.
tfunk02
AG
khkman22 said:

Are you talking about a Nighthawk hotspot like this? On that hotspot, can you plug a standard router into it to get better coverage in the house?

OTR recommends AT&T and that unlocked may not work. But for a multi carrier Cradlepoint modem, would that be any concern? Do you think this modem would work fine as an access point for the whole house? Although being refurbished makes me a little nervous.

This whole solution is new to me, but something I've been looking for as I pay $60/mo for my 8Mbps fixed wireless plan. I'm right next to an AT&T tower and 3-4 years ago I was getting 80/20. Do you think I would get those speeds with the solution? I'm on Cricket now, but assume those speeds would still be available on AT&T.

Just curious, how much else is there to research on this? Is it as simple as ordering a sim and modem and then plug it in and you're good to go?

Why would a modem like this not work okay? I would just plug my existing router to give additional coverage throughout the house. Cradlepoints don't have the best reviews on Amazon, so hesitant to spend a lot of money on one.
Yes, that is what I have, and originally used. I bought it through OTR, I connected it to my Orbi, and I turned DMZ mode on in the Nighthawk menu assigning it to the Orbi. It worked. I just couldn't always rely on it 100%. Maybe my needs are more demanding. I think it would work for most.

I've had no problems with the Cradlepoint modem. You can burn the firmware of your carrier to the modem, but for now my modem is AT&T only. That router will work fine, but two things. 1... If you already have a router then stick to the CBA850. It is basically just the modem and a shell without a router. CBA850 with MC400LPE This has the same modem as your link (Cat 3), but with no routing. 2...You are limiting yourself to 100mbps down and 50mbps up. If your tower gets 5Ge (Fast LTE) then you will be SOL on those speeds. Cat 6 is 300 down 50 up. Cat 12 is 600 down 150 up. Cat 18 is 1200 down 150 up. These are all just the top of top speeds they can possibly do. In real life you will probably never see close to those speeds. You can get a CBA850 with any of those modems in. I got mine here.

I think you could get those speeds, but I don't know what modem is necessary to get them. It depends on what type of modem you were using then.

It might, and it's worth trying as long as it has a decent return policy. I just went overkill on mine. I work from home, and need it to always work and always work well. I have a Verizon hotspot I connect if it goes down, and am looking forward to when I can have both sims in the same modem with one as fallback for the other. Hope all of this helps!
aggolfer
AG
Will the CBA850 work with a regular router?
tfunk02
AG
aggolfer said:

Will the CBA850 work with a regular router?
Yes, 100%. That is how I use it. It is just a modem only with a USB and 2 ethernet connections (one POE). My Orbi is the LAN and WiFi router after the Cradlepoint modem. It also has 2 SIM slots. Once my modem isn't locked to just AT&T in the next couple of months... I think. I plan to have a Verizon PrePaid Unlimited SIM in slot 2 as fall back for the OTR sim. Verizon has truly unlimited for $65/month, but it is always network managed unlike OTR.

Cradlepoint has docks and modems. The CBA850 is a shell that's as bare as it gets. It's basically just a shell for the modem that adds ethernet and USB. If you need a router, WiFi, and/or more there are other docks you can get for the modems that add functionality. I didn't want that.

Another point for gamers. AT&T will not allow you to get open NAT for gaming. You will always be on a strict NAT. Verizon can get open. I haven't checked on other services.
MaroonBloodedAg2010
I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on OTR. My plan was to get the Nighthawk modem from OTR and plug it into my router, but now I'm leaning towards this one

https://ltefix.com/shop/routers/cradlepoint-cba850lp6-na-cat6-att-verizon-t-mobile-sprint-refurbished/

Will I still be able to play games online if NAT is strict on AT&T?
tfunk02
AG
NAT doesn't matter for games hosted by a server like most are today. It mostly affected games when the consoles were the servers/hosts. The only issues I've run into lately are with chat on PS4. It isn't often, but I've been unable to chat with friends due to NAT a few times. Sometimes restarting the console fixes it.

I have a Nighthawk I got through OTR. I'm planning to put it on eBay or Craigslist, but if you want it I can sell it for $150 which is the lowest I saw on eBay. It was a refurb from OTR. If you want it or just want to try it for free for a week or two... I live in B/CS and don't mind meeting if you are close. My email is my username at gmail.
khkman22
AG
You've only been on this service a few months, right? Right now, if my router is the problem, I can just run to the store and get a new one. Any issues on the modem/equipment side is handled by the ISP, usually same day, maybe next day.

I would love to make the switch today, but I'm worried about the inconvenience of having to get another modem if the one I buy stops working or has issues. I guess Amazon may have some options that could be sent to me within a couple days, but it may also take me a couple days of troubleshooting to ensure there is no simple firmware update or fix for the modem. The cost is also a little harder to take when it's not for business purposes. I don't need more than Cat 4, even if the speed is available at my location. Thinking of just starting with the Netgear LB1120 or 1121 just to start and then if I am ever consistently getting max speeds in the future, maybe I'll update to a better modem.

Have you had any down time with the cell service causing you not to have any internet?
tfunk02
AG
khkman22 said:

You've only been on this service a few months, right? Right now, if my router is the problem, I can just run to the store and get a new one. Any issues on the modem/equipment side is handled by the ISP, usually same day, maybe next day.

I would love to make the switch today, but I'm worried about the inconvenience of having to get another modem if the one I buy stops working or has issues. I guess Amazon may have some options that could be sent to me within a couple days, but it may also take me a couple days of troubleshooting to ensure there is no simple firmware update or fix for the modem. The cost is also a little harder to take when it's not for business purposes. I don't need more than Cat 4, even if the speed is available at my location. Thinking of just starting with the Netgear LB1120 or 1121 just to start and then if I am ever consistently getting max speeds in the future, maybe I'll update to a better modem.

Have you had any down time with the cell service causing you not to have any internet?
I've been using them since November. The only down time I had was before they had auto-renew and I forgot to pay before the new month twice. They were able to troubleshoot and fix it through their online chat pretty quickly. I also had some overheating issues with the Nighthawk that got better without the battery or cover on. I had a Verizon hotspot and my cell phone hotspot as back ups.

When my gigabit AT&T went out in Houston (really miss that!) it took a week for them to find out someone crossed a cable in the local box. At least with an unlocked hotspot, you can put in another sim card from any other vender and go.

Amazon with 1 day shipping or going to Best Buy/Verizon/AT&T to get a new one would be your only option.

Cost for the top of the line Cradlepoint was easy to take when some of the WISPs were offering 15 down 3 up, but I had to put in a tower that would cost a couple thousand bucks.
hph6203
AG
This is a stupid question, because I'm not network illiterate, but not network savvy either. This is basically a service that takes a mobile hot spot and slides it in as if it were a terrestrial cable modem and you can connect it to a standard WiFi router to replace home internet service? I ask, because my parents live outside of any service area for anything other than satellite internet and that service is expensive and terrible. They've purchased a cell booster system from Wilson (WeBoost, not sure what they go by now) and can get decent service through LTE. It bums me out when my dad asks about things like Netflix/YoutubeTV/Prime Video etc. and I have to tell him he can't use it on his TV where he is, because he doesn't have internet other than his phone (he's not going to watch a movie/TV on his phone).

I've been looking for a service that does what I think this does for awhile, but the best I could come up with is a mobile hot spot, but they throttle those so it'd be terrible for streaming anything.
khkman22
AG
tfunk02 said:

I've been using them since November. The only down time I had was before they had auto-renew and I forgot to pay before the new month twice. They were able to troubleshoot and fix it through their online chat pretty quickly. I also had some overheating issues with the Nighthawk that got better without the battery or cover on. I had a Verizon hotspot and my cell phone hotspot as back ups.

When my gigabit AT&T went out in Houston (really miss that!) it took a week for them to find out someone crossed a cable in the local box. At least with an unlocked hotspot, you can put in another sim card from any other vender and go.

Amazon with 1 day shipping or going to Best Buy/Verizon/AT&T to get a new one would be your only option.

Cost for the top of the line Cradlepoint was easy to take when some of the WISPs were offering 15 down 3 up, but I had to put in a tower that would cost a couple thousand bucks.
Sure wish I knew about this option before I paid for my tower. I was getting it being shot off of a couple towers before it got to me and needed it 55-60ft to get line of sight. Just switched in January because someone in my neighborhood just started their own business and is a quarter mile away shooting me the signal. Don't need the tower anymore for the current service. The only reason to keep it is in the event I wanted to put a tv antenna on it. Other options are to sell it and get as much back as possible for it, or take it down and install at my parent's cabin. But yeah, if my options were the tower or expensive modem, I would have gone your route too.
khkman22
AG
hph6203 said:

This is a stupid question, because I'm not network illiterate, but not network savvy either. This is basically a service that takes a mobile hot spot and slides it in as if it were a terrestrial cable modem and you can connect it to a standard WiFi router to replace home internet service? I ask, because my parents live outside of any service area for anything other than satellite internet and that service is expensive and terrible. They've purchased a cell booster system from Wilson (WeBoost, not sure what they go by now) and can get decent service through LTE. It bums me out when my dad asks about things like Netflix/YoutubeTV/Prime Video etc. and I have to tell him he can't use it on his TV where he is, because he doesn't have internet other than his phone (he's not going to watch a movie/TV on his phone).

I've been looking for a service that does what I think this does for awhile, but the best I could come up with is a mobile hot spot, but they throttle those so it'd be terrible for streaming anything.
The Nighthawk hotspot link in my first post is basically a souped up hotspot and allows you to connect antennas to it for better signal, as well as a router for better wi-fi signal throughout the house. Although, like tfunk says, I probably wouldn't use that as a full time modem/router. The Netgear LB1120 (last link in my first post) is a similar device, but no battery power option and probably better for home use. You can also connect external antennas to it to get better reception. Then you purchase a SIM card and the setup operates as if you had DSL, cable, etc. OTR is unlimited. AT&T and Verizon have unlimited options too I think, but may be more expensive and/or subject to throttling.

I want to get through March Madness with my Dish service and then I think I'm going to try OTR and drop satellite and current ISP and go to streaming only. If everything works, in about three months, I'll pay for the equipment since I think I'm going to try the Netgear LB1120 or 1121. So my initial outlay will be fairly minimal. If it doesn't work out, I'll sell my equipment and go back to my current ISP without much lost.
hph6203
AG
Thank you for your advice. I sent them that Netgear LTE modem to buy. They currently have a month by month hotspot data plan through AT&T for 10 GB/mo ($25) that I think I can borrow the SIM card from to test it out. If it works the way I expect they should be able to drop their $150/mo TV subscription, $60/mo landline and the $25/mo hotspot. Obviously do that after they've spent a month using the service.
tfunk02
AG
hph6203 said:

Thank you for your advice. I sent them that Netgear LTE modem to buy. They currently have a month by month hotspot data plan through AT&T for 10 GB/mo ($25) that I think I can borrow the SIM card from to test it out. If it works the way I expect they should be able to drop their $150/mo TV subscription, $60/mo landline and the $25/mo hotspot. Obviously do that after they've spent a month using the service.
The reason OTR exists is because AT&T refuses to give you unlimited hotspots now, and when they do, which isn't often, they do something called "network management". Basically, you are always going to be behind someone who hasn't hit their monthly quota of data when the tower gets congested. OTR is fully unlimited and not networked managed so you get the best service AT&T offers all of the time for $60ish/month. Not bad!

Verizon currently offers a completely unlimited prepaid plan for about the same price, but it is always network managed. There are also other vendors out there like OTR on the various networks. I just talk about OTR because that is what I have. Here's an article with a lot of vendors...
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/guides/network-management-aka-throttling-practices-for-cellular-data-carriers/

The Nighthawk has two antenna ports on it, but it will drop the hotspot from the 4X4 MIMO to 2X2 MIMO (Multiple In Multiple Out). It may be worth it for the extra signal, or it may not. Boosters do work with the hotspots, but they can limit carrier aggregation (multiple LTE Band connections) and MIMO connections. Again, it may be worth it or it may not. All things you have to test and play with to find your best connection.
khkman22
AG
Do you happen to know how long OTR has been in business and a history of their pricing? I searched but couldn't find anything. Think those are my last two concerns with the switch. Basically, what are the chances AT&T no longer allows them to re-sell or they increase to $100/mo for service?

Did you join the rvmobile MIA program? Just curious what the discount was for OTR for doing so, and would the discount pay for the membership if I joined?
tfunk02
AG
I got OTR before I was a member, so I didn't get a discount. You can only get 10% off of your initial order. I don't think pricing is locked in, but there are other companies if they raise it too much.

khkman22
AG
Have my setup on order. I'll probably set it up at the end of next week if I have time. Went with the Netgear LB1120 and ordered a couple no-name TS9 adapters and a couple of LTE antennas from Amazon. Hoping it works as expected. If so, I'll worry about a better expensive Cradlepoint type setup in the future, if necessary. Thanks for the information on all of this and the discount code.
khkman22
AG
hph6203 said:

I'll try to remember to post back with my results if I think about it in the coming weeks. Will be curious to see your parents' experience if they try it out. I'm going to run a speed test with the Sim in my phone and compare to the modem speed, assuming the Sim will work for data only on my phone.
polksalet12345
What is are carriers' motivation to allow this kind of deal? Why can't they just provide their own unlimited?
All your base
hph6203
AG
Probably because they don't want people using mobile data this way in populated areas so they hide the service in a rural based service provider so they aren't advertising it to the masses. Just a guess. I'm sure there's a ton of excess capacity on these rural towers so they're not quite as concerned about people like that going unlimited for streaming, but on a city network it's a no go. The coming of 5G networks will probably bring more truly unlimited data within city limits though.

I went out to my parents place this weekend and tested the cell service with their AT&T hotspot sim that they pay 25/mo for (3GB of data). They've ordered the sim from OTR and it should be ready to go sometime this week.

They purchased an Apple TV so they can start streaming video and I was able to get it to stream Netflix, YoutubeTV and Prime video pretty successfully. It buffers at the beginning longer than I'm used to on my fiber connection, obviously, but once it gets going the image quality was perfect.

Been searching for a solution for them for the 7 years that they've been in this house and this might actually work assuming OTR's unlimited service doesn't get cut off. Really appreciate everyone's help.

This is their setup:
WeBoost 4G Connect
Netgear 4G LTE Modem
TS9 Antenna

They went from measured signal of -115ish dBm to -95 dBm (peak -85 dBm).

Question: I believe they can use a splitter off of the booster to direct connect the booster to their hotspot to reduce the variability and improve the quality of the signal, but I'm not sure if the power over the coax might fry their modem. Is this a set up that works?

These are their measured speeds. The closest tower is something like 7 miles away. Yeah, dunno how to shrink the size of the image. Whatever.

tfunk02
AG
I can't comment on the splitter after the booster, but on my booster I'd have too much of a signal. I'm closer to the tower and my booster has to reduce the signal (from fully boosted) when it is connected. I'd probably try it if I was you but no promises.

I'd also try no antenna on the modem with it right next to the WeBoost panel, and then try it with the antenna. I'd also get the connectors to adapt the yagi antenna to TS9 and see what I get with just the yagi antenna and no booster. If it is much better than with the booster then you can put your parents on WiFi calling instead of the booster.

Good luck!
tfunk02
AG
polksalet12345 said:

What is are carriers' motivation to allow this kind of deal? Why can't they just provide their own unlimited?
The vendors are actually breaking the service agreement with AT&T, but AT&T hasn't dropped the hammer on any of them yet. It doesn't mean it will not happen. If it does then I'll find another one, or just use the Verizon prepaid unlimited that is network managed.
khkman22
AG
tfunk02 said:

polksalet12345 said:

The vendors are actually breaking the service agreement with AT&T, but AT&T hasn't dropped the hammer on any of them yet. It doesn't mean it will not happen. If it does then I'll find another one, or just use the Verizon prepaid unlimited that is network managed.
Yeah, don't go advertising this to people in your neighborhood because it could wind up causing your service to be slowed. Either from too many people using it, or because AT&T notices it and does something to change OTR's agreement.

If I had to switch to a Verizon tower, it shouldn't really ever be congested since I'm somewhat rural. I just hope there is one close enough that my speed would still be 50 Mbps+. So the network management probably wouldn't affect me too much. But with the implementation of 5G soon, hopefully the unlimited aspect is less of an issue.

My parents speedtested their phone on AT&T while at my house this weekend and the three tests ranged from 70-90 Mbps.
hph6203
AG
I'll try all that. I'm going to end up driving my dad nuts trying to optimize it, because right now he's just happy that he can make phone callas and browse the internet on his phone without it being frustrating. He had the Yagi Antenna pointed the wrong way. The Connect 4G is the second booster kit they have purchased so they also have 2 panel antennas that they're going to use a combined on to see if they can improve their signal beyond the -95 to -110 they're currently getting. Not sure about that, but I already bought the equipment to try all the different iterations to see which is best.
MaroonBloodedAg2010
I got my Cradlepoint modem and OTR SIM today and got them all set up. So far it seems to be faster than my Verizon Home LTE. On Speedtest.net I am getting anywhere between 7 and 13 mbps. Under the modem settings, it is showing Signal Strength 100, RSSI -75 dBm, and Ec/lo is fluctuating between 4 and 10 dBm. I'm not sure if those are good or bad numbers though.

After just a couple hours of testing it, I have been able to play everything except 4k video clips on Youtube through my Xbox One X with no pauses.
tfunk02
AG
Signal Strength 100, RSSI -58, SINR 4.8, RSRP -87, RSRQ -12

You can try walking around your house with your cell phone or the modem on a battery pack looking for the best signal in the house. I used the app Network Cell Info on Android.

https://www.cablefree.net/wirelesstechnology/4glte/rsrp-rsrq-measurement-lte/
khkman22
AG
Did you set it up with the OTR Sim? I tried just getting mine connected with my Cricket Sim and it wouldn't connect. First issue is that it's a nano Sim and wasn't being read correctly. I adjusted the location of how it was seated in the slot and then the error was that there was no internet service. I tried connecting to the 192.168.5.1 to look at settings, but it told me there was no connection, even thought it was connected with an ethernet cable. After I stopped trying to get it to work, I quickly looked for a solution last night and I thought I saw where someone said you had to check it with IE but I was using Safari. I may try again tonight with IE if I get a chance.

I'm a little frustrated it wasn't as easy to get going as I expected, but hoping the OTR Sim will correct the issue once I get it tomorrow. Once you got it connected, did you just go to 192.168.5.1 to check the signal strength? I was only getting 1-2 bars with an occasional flash to 4 in the house. My external antennas will arrive today, so hopefully those help because I expected at least 3 bars since I'm only about 1/2-3/4 mile from the tower and my phone gets 3 out of 4 bars.
MaroonBloodedAg2010
Yes, I set it up with my OTR SIM. It was really easy to set up. I popped the SIM in the modem, then got on the OTR website to activate it. All you have to do to activate it is do a live chat on the website and give them your order number and the member number that comes with the SIM. Then it was running. You may need a SIM adapter for the nano SIM to work.

For my Cradlepoint modem, I connect to 192.168.0.1
tfunk02
AG
IP address will vary on the modem. The AT&T KnightHawk is 192.168.1.1.

Cricket has a different APN than AT&T even though it is the same service. If your modem is locked to AT&T it may not work with Cricket, and if it is set to AT&T but an unlocked modem, you may have to change the APN settings.

I bought some sim card adapters on Amazon for a couple bucks so I can change them from full size sim down to micro.

https://apn-settings.com/us/cricket-wireless-apn-settings/
khkman22
AG
tfunk02 said:

IP address will vary on the modem. The AT&T KnightHawk is 192.168.1.1.

Cricket has a different APN than AT&T even though it is the same service. If your modem is locked to AT&T it may not work with Cricket, and if it is set to AT&T but an unlocked modem, you may have to change the APN settings.

I bought some sim card adapters on Amazon for a couple bucks so I can change them from full size sim down to micro.

https://apn-settings.com/us/cricket-wireless-apn-settings/
Yeah, the default address on the modem is 192.168.5.1. My normal router is 192.168.1.1. I was hoping to put in the correct Cricket APN info, but since I couldn't connect to the modem, I couldn't get to the settings. It shouldn't be locked to AT&T because others have used it on Verizon and T-Mobile. Don't remember reading they had to do anything special to it. Understandable Cricket APN info wouldn't be setup out of the box, but should be unlocked. OTR did confirm it would work with their Sim though.
hph6203
AG
The slot on the Netgear modem is a micro sim which was the same size as the Netgear Aircard they had, so I didn't need an adapter. It popped in and connected right away, the external antenna that I had jumped the signal from 1-2 bars up to 3-4 (intermittent drops). I didn't actually connect to the modem to check the dBm (didn't think to), but was satisfied with the signal strength relative to my phone's signal strength, because the speeds were roughly the same.

You'd need an adapter to ensure that the sim seats properly. Hopefully someone chimes in with the actual size of the OTR sim so I can guide my parents on what they need to do when installing the SIM.
Edit: Quick search of their site says it's a full size sim that fits all sizes, so you shouldn't need an adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/iSYFIX-Card-Adapter-Nano-Micro/dp/B00R25GJJW/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?crid=1ZUL2MKIPJRT1&keywords=sim+card+adapter&qid=1553645400&s=gateway&sprefix=sim+card+a&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1
MaroonBloodedAg2010
tfunk02 said:

Signal Strength 100, RSSI -58, SINR 4.8, RSRP -87, RSRQ -12

You can try walking around your house with your cell phone or the modem on a battery pack looking for the best signal in the house. I used the app Network Cell Info on Android.

https://www.cablefree.net/wirelesstechnology/4glte/rsrp-rsrq-measurement-lte/
I tried this, and -76 dBm seems to be about the best signal I can get. Would it be worth it to get better antennas or even something like a signal booster?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.