OTR Mobile Internet?

120,918 Views | 660 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BrazosDog02
chaca5151
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I talked with Slim Net last night and they said the same thing. I'll all be leaving OTR at the end of the month. I went from having great internet to watching crappy tv.
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
deweylittle
AG
black_hat_ag said:

Willie Lane said:

I received my Tmobile sim card last week, but my AT&T service is still running. I haven't decided when I will make the switch over to Tmobile and cross my fingers. Safe to assume that even if I get the Tmobile going, I could swap back to AT&T until it quits working?

I'm in the same boat. I've had the T-Mobile sim for a few weeks but att still working. So I'll just keep going until those *******s shut me down.
That makes three of us, except I attempted to switch to the T-Mobile via a 4 hour chat the other day. It was ultimately unsuccessful as they could not provide an unlock code for the nighthawk (ordered the SIM and requested unlock on 3/13). So, I am going to try to do a reset and revert back to at&t and see if it works. I had a pretty good run with OTRmobile for a year but the ice cream has suddenly turned to *****

If I get in a jam reverting back, does anybody remember the settings for the pre-blast service?
deweylittle
AG
Ok, I put the at&t SIM back in, did a device reset and selected the APN for at&t and it appears to be back working. Hopefully it will hang together until they can get me an unlock and I'll see if the T-Mobile is going to work in my location.
The Collective
AG
So, OTR screwed the pooch on this deal? Wonder what they did.
tfunk02
AG
I think I'm going to try NeverThrottled next. I'm done with OTR.
MaroonBloodedAg2010
If you want fast support Never Throttled might not be a good choice. I signed up and gave my SIM information at 8:30 this morning and still haven't heard from them. I found on their New Activation page it says they usually get back with you the same day. Hopefully once it's running there won't be any issues.

Update: At about 5:20 they finally got back to me on Facebook. I was told their new accounts are activated each night, usually between 8 and midnight, so by morning I should be up and running. I was also told they they will most likely be raising rates in the near future since their customers have doubled since OTR started cutting people off. Subscribing will lock you in at $85 per month.
tfunk02
AG
MaroonBloodedAg2010 said:

If you want fast support Never Throttled might not be a good choice. I signed up and gave my SIM information at 8:30 this morning and still haven't heard from them. I found on their New Activation page it says they usually get back with you the same day. Hopefully once it's running there won't be any issues.

Update: At about 5:20 they finally got back to me on Facebook. I was told their new accounts are activated each night, usually between 8 and midnight, so by morning I should be up and running. I was also told they they will most likely be raising rates in the near future since their customers have doubled since OTR started cutting people off. Subscribing will lock you in at $85 per month.
Does it need to be an unused AT&T sim like with OTR or were you able to reuse an old one? That's the only thing holding me back now. I have a new prepaid coming from Amazon, but it will not be here until Wednesday.
khkman22
AG
When I switched to T-Mobile I'm pretty sure the person chatting with me said it had to be a postpaid SIM if I went and bought my own and had OTR activate it. So maybe part of what got them in trouble with AT&T was using prepaid SIMs. I don't know how these resellers setup their agreements with the cell companies, so that may have nothing to do with it. Just passing along in case it would throw up an alert to AT&T with other resellers.
MaroonBloodedAg2010
tfunk02 said:

Does it need to be an unused AT&T sim like with OTR or were you able to reuse an old one? That's the only thing holding me back now. I have a new prepaid coming from Amazon, but it will not be here until Wednesday.
I was told that they are able to re-activate a SIM, but in most cases it's less headache to just get a new one. They said that just turning off service with one company doesn't allow someone else to activate it, OTR would have to release the number from their system in addition to turning it off.
twbot
I have been using OTR on AT&T with a Cradlepoint 850 hotspot since October 2019. I'm in Hays County, TX. Since the Stay-At-Home orders my speeds are lower due to everyone using the same bandwidth (I assume) and sometimes I get a complete dropout for a few minutes.

I got the OTR email about leaving AT&T and bought the T-Mobile SIM. Took me a week to figure out the access to OTR chat and get activated but have not been able to get the SIM to work. Followed advice here for other Cradlepoint users and from the OTR Facebook page but after trying all the various settings and hard resets I keep getting SIMFAILURE messages in the Cradlepoint software.

I finally gave up and went through another long wait for chat. I gave them all my info, explained I never got TMobile to work and tried to get a refund but the chat agent said no refunds and closed the chat. The invoice indicates I'm on a subscription but not sure if they will cancel it unless I suffer through another %$@# wait for chat support.

In the meantime, I put the AT&T SIM back in and it works. I was on a six month subscription so I'm hoping it will continue to the end of term. If it doesn't, I've considered these companies mentioned here:

BixWireless
NeverThrottled
Nomad Internet
Slim Net
Visible (Verizon?)

Has anyone with a Cradlepoint used any of these?
chaca5151
I know the feeling I'm in Hays county also and my internet has gone to *****..

I'm gonna try to put my ATT card back in tomorrow and hope it's still activated, I'll probably have to wait until the end of the month to cancel. If they won't honor the 14 day trial period .
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
khkman22
AG
I cancelled Thursday and my refund processed yesterday. A bit surprised at the speed of everything.
twbot
@khkman22

You cancelled and got a refund?

I bought the Legacy update plan to TMobile for $60 - for one month - but the email invoice says it renews monthly.

I was told there is no refund for the $60 but then the agent closed the chat before I could make sure they cancelled the subscription.

When you say you cancelled and got a refund, what was the plan and what was the refund for?
khkman22
AG
twbot said:

@khkman22

You cancelled and got a refund?

I bought the Legacy update plan to TMobile for $60 - for one month - but the email invoice says it renews monthly.

I was told there is no refund for the $60 but then the agent closed the chat before I could make sure they cancelled the subscription.

When you say you cancelled and got a refund, what was the plan and what was the refund for?
I upgraded to Blast on 3/18 through chat. I activated the SIM on 3/23. My normal monthly renewal processed on 3/25. On 4/2 I cancelled my service through chat. On 4/3 I got an email about the refund and then saw it hit my credit card on Sunday. Just checked again and the date on the credit card activity is 4/3 as well. I did make sure I told them about their 14 day trial offer for the Blast service. So maybe you are not within that window?
tfunk02
AG
I'm out of my 14 day trial where the service maybe worked for 5 days. I got a new sim that still doesn't work. I went to cancel my subscription and just let them have my money, but the cancel subscription button doesn't work. It says to use the stupid chat. Here's to one more 3 or 4 hour wait to cancel...
twbot
@khkman22

I was already on a six month AT&T plan which still works but OTR warned it could end abruptly at AT&T's discretion so I decided to try the Legacy Update to Tmobile for the reduced price of $60.

It was not a trial - which is apparently what you were on.

I have a TMobile cellular plan for my iPhone so I know TMobile works here. Based on the error messages I got during setup, my TMobile SIM from OTR appears to be bad (or they didn't activate it after they said they did) but the last OTR chat agent I messaged with didn't seem to care.

Still looking for an alternative service that will work with my Cradlepoint 850 hotspot.
khkman22
AG
Here is a portion of my chat with them before officially upgrading. They specifically told me there was a 14 day trial.

The Collective
AG
Gypsy seems to have got this figured out. They even have an automated refresh tool where I can get online and do their troubleshooting task myself. So far, it is working flawlessly. Have had to refresh twice in the past week. They still are not activating new sims yet though.
the enigma
Hey TFunk, have your dealt with anything like this:

I am using a cradlepoint 850 with the mc400lp6 modem. Updated firmware on the modem and the OS on the 850. Getting an "AutoCarrier failed: failed to switch carriers" error. My APN is correct, the carrier select is set to generic (tmo).

Can't figure this out, tia
MaroonBloodedAg2010
the enigma said:

I am using a cradlepoint 850 with the mc400lp6 modem. Updated firmware on the modem and the OS on the 850. Getting an "AutoCarrier failed: failed to switch carriers" error. My APN is correct, the carrier select is set to generic (tmo).

Does your modem allow you to have the firmware for multiple carriers installed at the same time? When I tried the T-Mobile SIM on my modem, everything switched automatically. When I tried to do the same on my parents' modem, it didn't work. It only had AT&T firmware installed, and I had to manually change the firmware to the Generic T-Mobile one.

In the NetCloud modem settings, go to System > System Control > Modem Firmware. If it only lists AT&T firmware, then you'll have to download and manually change the firmware. If it also lists Generic, then something else is going on.
tfunk02
AG

the enigma said:

Does your modem allow you to have the firmware for multiple carriers installed at the same time? When I tried the T-Mobile SIM on my modem, everything switched automatically. When I tried to do the same on my parents' modem, it didn't work. It only had AT&T firmware installed, and I had to manually change the firmware to the Generic T-Mobile one.

In the NetCloud modem settings, go to System > System Control > Modem Firmware. If it only lists AT&T firmware, then you'll have to download and manually change the firmware. If it also lists Generic, then something else is going on.
This is true. Also, after my first TMobile sim quit working I never got it back up again. They made me get a static IP (APN: B2B.static) and it would eventually connect but not give me internet. I moved on to an eBay AT&T enterprise sim. It should be here Friday. OTR seems to be a complete mess now that AT&T dropped them.
the enigma
Yes, I can pick from 4 firmwares: Verizon, Sprint, ATT and Generic. All the settings look right. Digging deeper it also says "IMS Registration State - No Service" which now makes me think it is a SIM card issue...
the enigma
I updated the "Generic" firmware and currently have it selected as the active firmware
tfunk02
AG
the enigma said:

Digging deeper it also says "IMS Registration State - No Service" which now makes me think it is a SIM card issue...
This was my issue too. I would get connected and the bars would go green(sometimes), but I would have no internet. IMS Registration State would say No Service. I never got past that after days on chat with OTR.
the enigma
Great

Thanks for the replies, going to try to contact them now
the enigma
So got it resolved. Everything checked out ok with OTR but I got them to send me a new SIM card anyway. Contacted Cradlepoint, we traced it to the SIM card. Apparently, Cradlepoint does like the break out cards, they have all kinds of problems. We got the internet working again is the main thing. Thx for all the help guys
tfunk02
AG
Did you need to do anything in the Cradlepoint software, or did you just adjust the sim card? Sounds like I'm probably having the same issues.
the enigma
Ultimately, no. We did go thru checking different settings and such but then we tried the old SIM from the ATT account. It was detected and I got service from it, when I switched it back my TMO service returned. The tech asked if it was a standard card or a breakout card; he said the breakout cards have so many problems that they don't even deal with them. He did mention that he has one machine that won't consistently run without a piece of scotch tape on the card to help maintain a connection with the contacts.
the enigma
He also mentioned that sometimes with the breakout cards you have to remove and insert multiple times to get a connection. He really disliked the breakout cards!
twbot
Based on "the enigma"'s comments I went back into OTR chat (only 30 minutes or so wait this morning) and requested a new TMobile SIM and the agent agreed to send one and that this time it would be preactivated.

I also learned that they are adding a CANCEL button to everyone's Account Page on their website so you can cancel the automatic billing more easily if you are on a subscription plan. I believe all the new plans may be subscription based.
tfunk02
AG
twbot said:

Based on "the enigma"'s comments I went back into OTR chat (only 30 minutes or so wait this morning) and requested a new TMobile SIM and the agent agreed to send one and that this time it would be preactivated.

I also learned that they are adding a CANCEL button to everyone's Account Page on their website so you can cancel the automatic billing more easily if you are on a subscription plan. I believe all the new plans may be subscription based.

I got a new TMobile sim after the first stopped. It still never worked even after getting a static IP. I'm still playing with the Cradlepoint to see if I can get it working while I'm in this month.

I tried the CANCEL Button a few days ago. It didn't work either. It said to tell them in chat.
the enigma
Try the scotch tape trick (hack?). One thing I noticed was the ATT SIM had a sticker on it when I first got it and I tried to remove it but it didn't come off completely. The TMO SIM did not and the ATT SIM did fit into the SIM slot a bit tighter. I never had a problem with the ATT SIM...
twbot
When I first got it last year, I inadvertently popped my AT&T sim out of its frame, then managed to re-insert it into the frame without using any tape and it still worked. While testing the TMobile SIM, the Cradlepoint software reported SIMFAILURE in its software, and playing with various settings never got that message to go away so OTR agreed today that the SIM was probably bad.

Before today, I tried that TMobile SIM several times when I had enough free time to experiment, pulling out the fragile AT&T SIM each time, and reinserting the AT&T SIM each time after I gave up on the TMobile.

I did have to reset the Cradlepoint after each switch, but the AT&T SIM worked every time it was re-inserted and I never put any tape on it.

When I get my new TMobile SIM, if it doesn't work initially, I may try adding tape to the back to see if that helps.

the enigma
The Cradlepoint tech for to talking about how right the tolerances are for the machines and all I can say for sure is that the sticker residue on the ATT Sim was the only difference in my setup...
MaroonBloodedAg2010
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm looking at getting better antennas for my Cradlepoint modem.

I know the directional antenna are ideal, but I don't know exactly where the closest tower is. I started looking at these:
https://antennagear.net/12dbi-cradlepoint-CBA850-router-omni-directional-fiberglass-4g-lte-xlte-antenna-kit-w-cable-length-options/

But I really don't know anything about antenna for these. Would I need 2 of them? I'm looking for any recommendations and proper setup advice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.