OTR Mobile Internet?

120,140 Views | 660 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BrazosDog02
Jethro95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, I have that modem. It's a modem only, so the only way you can get wifi is to plug a router into it. You would only be limited by the router you choose.
khkman22
AG
eliucor said:

So I live out in the country side and there is no internet provider available besides satalite with very low speeds and low data caps. I want to get OTR mobile but my question is . Can I get a netgear LTE modem NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem - Instant Broadband Connection | Works with AT&T and Alternate Carriers (LB1120) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5ASNTE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_yJMoDbKMNN2CG and then connect a Wi-Fi router or mesh system like the Google mesh system and get pasted the 20 device limit the nighthawk has?. Looking to get up a at home use only system with a couple outdoor cameras, maybe some smart switches for outdoor lights. But want to have room to use tvs gaming systems and laptops here and there. Anyone have a system like this or similar. Thanks in advance. Saw a comment about something similar above but he paired it with a $700+ antenna . Not really in my budget right now. If anything want to make sure this service works before I spend more on accessories . Again thanks
Yes, I have the Netgear LB1120. I'm so close to the tower (<.5 miles) that it suits my needs, but if you are a little farther away, you may want to upgrade to a better modem, or spend money on external antennas. I have mine in my attic and I generally get 30-40 mbps, but on occasion, directly beneath the router I have gotten 60-70 mbps. I tested speeds on an iPhone 6s outside my house and have gotten 140-150 mbps, but once I go inside the house it dropped to 60-70. So I think the LB1120 could be capable of faster speeds than I am getting if I put it outside, but I'm happy enough with my current speeds that I haven't worried about finding the best location for fastest speed. Now, if I were farther away from the tower and getting 10-12 mbps, but could get 30-40 putting it outside, or buying a better modem/external antenna, I might would try a different setup.
JHejl10
AG
I just got my sim and Velocity 2 in two days ago and am very impressed. I wanted to try out the cheaper option which is the Velocity 2 to see how good the speeds & signal were in my area before investing more on equipment. I originally had speeds up to 10 mbps at around -95dBm, which I was fine with because my Verizon phone normally gets around those speeds. I then noticed that I was only getting HSPA+ and not LTE. I chatted with support and I guess they enabled LTE or did some kind of fix. After that, I am at speeds around 22Mbps but my signal is around -115dBm to -105dBm. (I did walk around outside my house where I got a -90dBm signal and saw speeds around 45Mbps. I'm trying to maximize the signal to get those speeds. )

What is odd is that I have my Velocity 2 sitting right next to my PhoneTone dual band 12/13/17 signal booster and am not seeing signal improvements. Normally, signal improves to around - 82dBm on my phone while I'm right next to the booster, yet signal on the Velocity 2 remains around -115dBm to -105dBm next to it. Does anyone know what is happening or why I'm not seeing better signal? I have 2 guesses but am not sure: Guess 1) the Velocity 2 is bypassing the signal booster in favor of faster speeds without the booster. Maybe the booster would bottleneck the speeds and its better to go around it? Guess 2) the more likely guess is that the tower I'm connected to is using a band not supported by the signal booster. The signal booster I have supports 12, 13, and 17. Band 12 and 17 are AT&T's main band but AT&T also uses bands 2, 4, 5, 12*, 14, 17*, 29, 30, 66... I'm not able to see which tower or the band that the tower uses through the Velocity settings and also customer service was unable to tell me. Does anyone know how to check which band the tower I'm connected to is using or have any advice to boost the signal with or without the signal booster I'm using? I also just bought 2 TS9 7dBm gain antennas that should be here tomorrow that I will try.

Ultimately, this service through OTR Mobile looks promising. I do think I'll upgrade to a modem like the Netgear LB1120 that has been recommended on here along with a router. My priority is to first maximize the signal.

khkman22
AG
Is anybody thinking about the one year prepaid to save one month's cost? I'm thinking they may have just renewed their agreement with AT&T to offer something like that. In my area, I'm not too concerned that something better will come along. That or moving would probably be my only risks to not needing the service for the next year, and I don't have any plans to move.
tfunk02
AG
khkman22 said:

Is anybody thinking about the one year prepaid to save one month's cost? I'm thinking they may have just renewed their agreement with AT&T to offer something like that. In my area, I'm not too concerned that something better will come along. That or moving would probably be my only risks to not needing the service for the next year, and I don't have any plans to move.
I'm too afraid of the year-long commitment. I did a 3-month one back when they offered that. I just worry that AT&T could strip them of their service at any time, and you'd be left with 10 or 11 months paid for with no service.
tfunk02
AG
JHejl10 said:

I just got my sim and Velocity 2 in two days ago and am very impressed. I wanted to try out the cheaper option which is the Velocity 2 to see how good the speeds & signal were in my area before investing more on equipment. I originally had speeds up to 10 mbps at around -95dBm, which I was fine with because my Verizon phone normally gets around those speeds. I then noticed that I was only getting HSPA+ and not LTE. I chatted with support and I guess they enabled LTE or did some kind of fix. After that, I am at speeds around 22Mbps but my signal is around -115dBm to -105dBm. (I did walk around outside my house where I got a -90dBm signal and saw speeds around 45Mbps. I'm trying to maximize the signal to get those speeds. )

What is odd is that I have my Velocity 2 sitting right next to my PhoneTone dual band 12/13/17 signal booster and am not seeing signal improvements. Normally, signal improves to around - 82dBm on my phone while I'm right next to the booster, yet signal on the Velocity 2 remains around -115dBm to -105dBm next to it. Does anyone know what is happening or why I'm not seeing better signal? I have 2 guesses but am not sure: Guess 1) the Velocity 2 is bypassing the signal booster in favor of faster speeds without the booster. Maybe the booster would bottleneck the speeds and its better to go around it? Guess 2) the more likely guess is that the tower I'm connected to is using a band not supported by the signal booster. The signal booster I have supports 12, 13, and 17. Band 12 and 17 are AT&T's main band but AT&T also uses bands 2, 4, 5, 12*, 14, 17*, 29, 30, 66... I'm not able to see which tower or the band that the tower uses through the Velocity settings and also customer service was unable to tell me. Does anyone know how to check which band the tower I'm connected to is using or have any advice to boost the signal with or without the signal booster I'm using? I also just bought 2 TS9 7dBm gain antennas that should be here tomorrow that I will try.

Ultimately, this service through OTR Mobile looks promising. I do think I'll upgrade to a modem like the Netgear LB1120 that has been recommended on here along with a router. My priority is to first maximize the signal.

The boosters will definitely complicate things. I have one for the phones (no wifi calling on my phone allowed). It's a trial and error thing with the hotspots and them. Boosters do not allow MIMO so you will not get the benefit of that, but it could provide a better signal than you could get with just antennas and MIMO. What type of booster do you have? I have the SureCall4Home. The NetGear T9 MIMO antenna is one of the best small antennas for hotspots. The RV board sometimes gets a better signal with that than a big yagi antenna.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DN3J03O/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_qrdsDbP6KBN99
JHejl10
AG
tfunk02 said:

The boosters will definitely complicate things. I have one for the phones (no wifi calling on my phone allowed). It's a trial and error thing with the hotspots and them. Boosters do not allow MIMO so you will not get the benefit of that, but it could provide a better signal than you could get with just antennas and MIMO. What type of booster do you have? I have the SureCall4Home. The NetGear T9 MIMO antenna is one of the best small antennas for hotspots. The RV board sometimes gets a better signal with that than a big yagi antenna.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DN3J03O/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_qrdsDbP6KBN99

I bought my signal booster off Amazon. I would link it, but apparently it's not available anymore. It's a PhoneTone 65dBm gain Dual Band 700Mhz Band 13/12/17 booster. I originally bought it to boost my phone's service from Verizon and would use it as a hotspot. It boosted signal from -110dBm to around -80dBm to -95dBm depending on how close I was to the booster. I thought that with the signal booster I would be able to use it with the AT&T signal from OTR Mobile. I guess what you say seems to be true and is happening (about the boosters not allowing MIMO). That's why I'm not seeing any improvements with signal. I didn't know about limitations with MIMO and hotspots before. I just thought that the signal booster I have doesn't support the many bands that AT&T uses. And since I can't see what band the tower I'm using is, it would be tough to find a compatible booster. Anyways, I guess my current signal booster becomes useless at this point.

Anyways, I still want to get a stronger signal. As I mentioned, I bought 2 TS9 antennas from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K74JBW5/. I will try that one out when I get home today and see if it improves. Do you think the one I linked is fine or the NetGear T9 MIMO antenna would be better?

Lastly, would you recommend using that Netgear LB1120 modem or one of those Cradlepoints CBA850's (Cat3 or Cat6) based on my current signal & the signal booster not helping? I would like to eventually upgrade to something that is more reliable for a home network compared to the Velocity 2. I'd like to stay under $300 for a modem.

(Off topic but related to other rural internet options in the area: My parents currently have Rise Broadband in the Snook/Caldwell area and are within 2 miles from me. I recently bumped them up from a 5 Mbps plan to a 25 Mbps plan that was 'available'. They never see over 8Mbps. For the last 2 months, they have been between 1-2 Mbps because of "technical issues" with Rise Broadband's tower. I may switch them over to OTR Mobile and Rise could be a backup. Those speeds are unacceptable and they haven't made any progress updating the tower.)

tfunk02
AG
The NetGear is directional so if you know what direction the signal is coming from, it should be better. If you are stationary then directional is normally better.

For under $300, I'd get this.
https://ltefix.com/shop/routers/cradlepoint-routers/cradlepoint-cba850lp6-na-cat6-att-verizon-t-mobile-sprint-refurbished/

The towers I'm pulling an average of 70Mbps from are between Snook and Wilcox. I was on Rise before and it was horrible.
JHejl10
AG
**EDIT** DOUBLE POST
JHejl10
AG
tfunk02 said:

The NetGear is directional so if you know what direction the signal is coming from, it should be better. If you are stationary then directional is normally better.

For under $300, I'd get this.
https://ltefix.com/shop/routers/cradlepoint-routers/cradlepoint-cba850lp6-na-cat6-att-verizon-t-mobile-sprint-refurbished/

The towers I'm pulling an average of 70Mbps from are between Snook and Wilcox. I was on Rise before and it was horrible.
The cheap off-brand TS9 antennas I got on Amazon didn't fit correctly so I was unable to test. Someone in the reviews said they send CRC9 antennas instead and I do not want to cram them in the antenna ports.. Whatever..

I had my cousin test his iPhone X that's on AT&T in our house today. He was getting speeds around 70Mbps with only a -105dBm signal while I haven't seen anything over 30Mbps with at best -90dBm with the Velocity 2. I don't understand how that is when the signal is better with the Velocity 2 and both signals are coming from the same tower from AT&T. The velocity 2 shows a max theoretical speed of 600 Mbps download & 150 Mbps upload so I don't think it's a hardware/network limitation with the hotspot. Does true AT&T actually get priority over the 3rd party? I know it sounds like I'm being greedy trying to squeeze every Mbps out of the service but I just want to get the most out of it. I would be slightly disappointed spending more money on a cradlepoint if the signal strength and/or speeds remain around the same.

tfunk02
AG
I'm not sure about the X but the XS has 4x4 MIMO. I believe the Nighthawk that AT&T has does that but only does 2X2 with external antennas. To do 4X4 with external antennas you would need the Cradlepiont 1200M modem in a CBA850 ($799). That is what I have with four 15dbi gain directional antennas.

I get
-52 to -58 RSSI
-10 to -15 SINR
-85ish RSRP
-9ish RSRQ

I've seen up to 125 down and 50 up, but I average around 70 down and 30 up.

The weird thing about signal strength is it doesn't always relate to your speeds. You may get 10 more decibels and not see any benefit to your speeds.

OTR gets the data like any prime AT&T user. It is first priority, and part of the reason I got them.
JHejl10
AG
tfunk02 said:

I'm not sure about the X but the XS has 4x4 MIMO. I believe the Nighthawk that AT&T has does that but only does 2X2 with external antennas. To do 4X4 with external antennas you would need the Cradlepiont 1200M modem in a CBA850 ($799). That is what I have with four 15dbi gain directional antennas.

I get
-52 to -58 RSSI
-10 to -15 SINR
-85ish RSRP
-9ish RSRQ

I've seen up to 125 down and 50 up, but I average around 70 down and 30 up.

The weird thing about signal strength is it doesn't always relate to your speeds. You may get 10 more decibels and not see any benefit to your speeds.

OTR gets the data like any prime AT&T user. It is first priority, and part of the reason I got them.
The iPhone X is only 2x2 MIMO from what I read online and the Velocity 2 is 2x2, which means his iPhone X is getting faster speeds with lower signal. I understand that there are multiple different factors that influence the speeds and it's not always about signal. It is definitely weird how that works.

I honestly didn't know that MIMO factored that much into speeds, but after reading online how much faster 4x4 is than 2x2, it makes sense. But you're saying that the CBA850LP6 & CBA850LPE cradlepoints do not support 4x4 MIMO internal or external antennas, correct? I don't see it anywhere in the specs so I'm assuming they are only 2x2 MIMO.

tfunk02
AG
The CBA850-1200M is the Cat 18 4x4 MIMO, but it costs a lot. I got it since it seemed cheap compared to the tower they wanted me to build for a WISP. Current setup is...

This modem.
https://5gstore.com/product/8703_cradlepoint_netcloud_essentials_for_branch_with_cba850_cat_18_lte_advanced_pro_1_year.html

4 of these on the roof-mounted on 2 J-Poles.
https://ltefix.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte-antennas/directional-panel/700-2700mhz-15dbi-4g-lte-directional-antenna/

4 of these from the modem to the antennas
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J62BQRL/ref=twister_B07J5FJXGW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And then an Orbi system for the wifi.
JHejl10
AG
tfunk02 said:

The CBA850-1200M is the Cat 18 4x4 MIMO, but it costs a lot. I got it since it seemed cheap compared to the tower they wanted me to build for a WISP. Current setup is...

This modem.
https://5gstore.com/product/8703_cradlepoint_netcloud_essentials_for_branch_with_cba850_cat_18_lte_advanced_pro_1_year.html

4 of these on the roof-mounted on 2 J-Poles.
https://ltefix.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte-antennas/directional-panel/700-2700mhz-15dbi-4g-lte-directional-antenna/

4 of these from the modem to the antennas
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J62BQRL/ref=twister_B07J5FJXGW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And then an Orbi system for the wifi.

Sounds like you got the ultimate set up. Yea, the tower option would have been crazy expensive for mediocre speeds.

I haven't had much luck with the cheap TS-9 external antennas I bought as I haven't seen much improvement in download speeds or signal with them, also they didn't really fit all the way into my Velocity 2. I'm currently not using them. I hesitated on getting the Netgear MIMO antenna mainly because it's directional and I do not really know where my tower is, plus there are a ton of trees around my home.

I'm considering trying out the NightHawk MR1100 instead of the Cradlepoint CBA850LPE, mainly because the Nighthawk has the 4x4 MIMO like you mentioned. I've read about the overheating and having to sometimes reboot it but other than that it seems fine. I also like that you can use it as a hotspot or a modem if you'd like. The 4x4 MIMO may work better for me than getting a better signal with the Cradlepoint at this point.
stubby93ag
AG
Thanks to all for the very informative discussion on this topic. My wife and I are in the process of building a home in rural east TX and my initial plan had been the use of Viasat as our means of getting internet. However, this thread has me interested in this alternative. We are not super heavy users of internet (no gaming), but my wife does work from home and I enjoy Netflix and other streaming platforms. My wife does have an air-card for work but they frown on using it as a hotspot for other devices.

I'm not super tech savvy so I may not know the exact questions to ask, but can anyone provide some guidance on things I should check on first to see if alternatives discussed in this thread are even a viable option? Test cell signal strength, distance to towers, etc? We live in a pretty wooded area so I had concerns if cellular would be a feasible option for us.

If anyone could provide a few suggestions on 'first steps' to see if this option is worth pursuing (keeping in mind the house is dried in but not finished out), I would greatly appreciate it.
deweylittle
AG
First thing I would do is take an AT&T phone out there and see what kind of service you have, both inside and outside the house. Maybe run some speed tests and see what the download and upload speeds are at various places in the house. If acceptable, you're probably going to be ok with the OTR service. If the signal is poor, then you can locate the nearest tower and determine whether you can expect a signal booster to improve things enough to meet your needs. Once you are comfortable with the signal strength, you can decide which hardware configuration fits your needs. I'm sure the smart guys will be along shortly to get you fully dialed-in.
tfunk02
AG
I'd find out what service works best in your area. Even if you only have 1 bar in some areas a booster could help you get decent speeds. Phones in my house get 1 or no bars without a booster, but we are able to get full bars with a booster and direct line of site from roof. The trees will definitely be the tricky part, but directional antennas should still help... if you need them.

It's a trial and error thing. I'd recommend buying from Amazon or a place with a good return policy until you find what works where you are. Sometimes boosters slow things down if your modem can do MIMO. Sometimes you just need a modem with internal antennas. You just can't figure it out until you start trying different things.

Good luck!!
stubby93ag
AG
Thanks for the response dewey and tfunk.

We are on Verizon and generally have good cell reception at our construction site and other locations nearby. I did a quick reading with my iPhone a couple of days ago and had an RSRP in the -95-100dbm range. I'll look into a speed test as well. From looking at towers, it looks like we are about 3.5 miles from the nearest one and downhill in elevation (not sure if that will help or hurt).

I also appreciate the suggestion on Amazon for trial and error approach to tweaking the system... a good idea! Thanks again for sharing your wisdom and experience with others like myself.
deweylittle
AG
Note that OTR uses AT&T network. May or may not be the same tower as Verizon.
twbot
Based on some of the posts in this thread and on the https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ I got the OTR hotspot plan and a NetGear MR1100 hotspot. Excellent signal from an AT&T tower nearby here in the Hill Country. My DSL download speed averages 2Mbps. AT&T is giving me 30-40Mbps and it occasionally spikes up to 70Mbps.

I have had problems with coverage around the house since the MR1100 WiFi router has limited range. Bought an Orbi system but have not been able to make it work with the MR1100. Netgear makes both, but it was pointed out to me on their forums that the MR1100 manual (page 11) indicates it may not work.

I decided to get the Cradlepoint CBA850 Cat6, which arrived today. Poster tfunk02 has mentioned here that he has his set up with an Orbi. First problem I ran into is the SIM slot in the Cradlepoint modem. It looks like an old standard SIM slot. The MR1100 takes a nano sim. Looks like I will need an adapter.

Observation - no detailed instructions in Cradlepoint manual about removing the modem - nothing about the screw that must be removed or the latch or the fact that the modem is tightly jammed into the slot - took awhile to jimmy the thing out.

Can anyone who has a Cradlepoint tell me if the modem will take a micro sim adapter or do I need a Standard adapter?
twbot
I found a micro adapter and it looks like it will fit.

Tomorrow I will switch the sim out and see if the Cradlepoint will work better than the MR1100.
tfunk02
AG
twbot said:

I found a micro adapter and it looks like it will fit.

Tomorrow I will switch the sim out and see if the Cradlepoint will work better than the MR1100.
Some other posters had problems with slow original sim cards from OTR. It may take a call/message to them to get the kinks worked out. Good luck with the process. It can be frustrating at times, but when it is up and working it is WAY better than the alternative.

I used a sim adapter from Amazon to move over to the Cradlepoint from a NightHawk. To connect the Nighthawk to the Orbi I put the Orbi in AP mode instead of router mode, or I put the router in DMZ mode (can't remember now).
twbot
Quote:

To connect the Nighthawk to the Orbi I put the Orbi in AP mode instead of router mode, or I put the router in DMZ mode (can't remember now).
@tfunk02

I put the Orbi into AP mode but had no luck connecting it with either the MR1100 or the Cradlepoint. I tried 3 different Ethernet cables including the one that came with the Orbi. I also tried both of the CP's Lan ports, resetting everything each time. In every case Orbi reported there was no Ethernet cable connected. I read in the Orbi forum that a few Orbi units appeared to have bad WAN Ethernet ports - once replaced the new Orbi units worked without any changes to settings.

At the moment I can no longer get into the Orbi settings page to get it out of AP mode.

Before I tried AP mode, I used Router mode with both MR1100 and Cradlepoint with Orbi. Same problem, I could never get the Orbi to connect to Internet - but no problem with LAN wireless mode.

At this point I'm ready to send the Orbi back and get another one ,or try a different mesh system
nikimarie94
So I've just read through most of this thread because I just moved to a place that I learned I cant get ANY ISP's so I purchased a router and OTR sim separately.

The issue I'm having is that it wont connect to the internet. I think It may be the settings in the router I'm using but I'm not sure. The error my network says is "Windows could not automatically detect this networks proxy settings".
I have checked my internet settings on my computer and i dont have proxy enabled. and I followed all of Microsofts walk through's to fix the error and nothing is working. I tried changing the APN name and that made the little yellow "!" go away but then websites wouldnt load. It'd say server couldnt be found or something like that.

Im using the KuWFI WE-826 router for USA/CA that i purchased from NewEgg. It says it's compatible with AT&T but I cant get the settings right to make this issue go away. I tried talking to OTR about it and they didnt want to help because I used a router I purchased on my own.. Any insights would help a lot! Otherwise I'm going to have to return the router and find a new one that doesnt break the bank since, again, I just moved and all. Thanks!
tfunk02
AG
nikimarie94 said:

So I've just read through most of this thread because I just moved to a place that I learned I cant get ANY ISP's so I purchased a router and OTR sim separately.

The issue I'm having is that it wont connect to the internet. I think It may be the settings in the router I'm using but I'm not sure. The error my network says is "Windows could not automatically detect this networks proxy settings".
I have checked my internet settings on my computer and i dont have proxy enabled. and I followed all of Microsofts walk through's to fix the error and nothing is working. I tried changing the APN name and that made the little yellow "!" go away but then websites wouldnt load. It'd say server couldnt be found or something like that.

Im using the KuWFI WE-826 router for USA/CA that i purchased from NewEgg. It says it's compatible with AT&T but I cant get the settings right to make this issue go away. I tried talking to OTR about it and they didnt want to help because I used a router I purchased on my own.. Any insights would help a lot! Otherwise I'm going to have to return the router and find a new one that doesnt break the bank since, again, I just moved and all. Thanks!
All I can say is make sure all of your APN information matches with the AT&T APN. I can't really help outside of that. If you can step up to the Cradlepoint refurb from LTEFix, the APN settings are automatically applied based on your sim. It makes setup much simpler.

https://www.4gapn.com/us/en/att
twbot
I gave up on the Orbi (see my posts above) and then the Netgear MR1100 refurb also suddenly stopped working. I tried hard resets, etc. but no lights would come on with battery installed and charger plugged in.

I had only a few days left on the 30 day return window for the MR1100 so I sent it back with free return shipping and the Amazon 3rd party seller refunded the purchase price. I also sent back the Orbi.

I bought a cheap TP Link Archer 7 router and a RE305 Range Extender from TP Link's company store on eBay. Plugged an Ethernet cable from the Archer 7 into the Cradlepoint modem refurb and without any fiddling was getting 40 Gbps down and 6 Gbps up. Added the extender and a few minutes later was getting a signal on the back deck and in a bedroom furthest from the router, both of which were dead zones before.

So I'm assuming the Orbi and MR1100 were the problem. Spent hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong in my setup and it was simply bad equipment. I'm not saying Orbi or Netgear products are bad - I bought them because so many people reported good experiences with them. But those specific units were junk.
tfunk02
AG
twbot said:

I gave up on the Orbi (see my posts above) and then the Netgear MR1100 refurb also suddenly stopped working. I tried hard resets, etc. but no lights would come on with battery installed and charger plugged in.

I had only a few days left on the 30 day return window for the MR1100 so I sent it back with free return shipping and the Amazon 3rd party seller refunded the purchase price. I also sent back the Orbi.

I bought a cheap TP Link Archer 7 router and a RE305 Range Extender from TP Link's company store on eBay. Plugged an Ethernet cable from the Archer 7 into the Cradlepoint modem refurb and without any fiddling was getting 40 Gbps down and 6 Gbps up. Added the extender and a few minutes later was getting a signal on the back deck and in a bedroom furthest from the router, both of which were dead zones before.

So I'm assuming the Orbi and MR1100 were the problem. Spent hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong in my setup and it was simply bad equipment. I'm not saying Orbi or Netgear products are bad - I bought them because so many people reported good experiences with them. But those specific units were junk.

I've never been a fan of anything Netgear. I had issues with a MR1100, and I've had issues with my Orbi. Hard resets got the Orbi working, and I had to move on from the MR1100. I will stick to enterprise level products like Ubiquiti and Cradlepoint in the future. I always seem to have fewer issues. Maybe it's just luck...

This LTE internet service thing can be SUPER frustrating when you are having issues, but when you get it ironed out, its way better than terrible WISP or satellite service.
GeorgiAg
AG
Wow. Thanks for this thread. I finally have internet again. Moved to a very rural location and very slow internet was frustrating!

Can always depend on Ags!
labmansid
I'm not sure if this is a new outfit, but this came up on my Facebook feed. Looks like something similar to OTR, except they can use either AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon service depending on your preference or which gives better signal for your area. It's also a bit more expensive at $99/month. Just throwing it out there as another option.

https://www.anewwaytonet.com/
tfunk02
AG
labmansid said:

nm

tfunk02
AG
tfunk02 said:

labmansid said:

I'm not sure if this is a new outfit, but this came up on my Facebook feed. Looks like something similar to OTR, except they can use either AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon service depending on your preference or which gives better signal for your area. It's also a bit more expensive at $99/month. Just throwing it out there as another option.

https://www.anewwaytonet.com/
This is from a previous post. Just FYI...

OTR is by no means your only option on these plans too. It's just what I chose when I went through the process 6 or so months ago.

Here's a list of other vendors.
AT&T:
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gear/att-unlimited-rental-plans/?fwp_cellular_data_plan_carrier=att
Verizon:
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gear/verizon-unlimited-rental-plans/
TMobile:
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gear/t-mobile-unlimited-rental-plans/
Sprint:
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gear/sprint-unlimited-rental-plans/

I also didn't know about this plan that many have had luck with using in hotspots.
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gear/att-dataconnect-tablet/
GIF Reactor
AG
We are moving and just found out that the neighborhood only has AT&T basic 5Mbps internet available. I was referred to this thread from another post. I've read through this thread and think OTR sounds like the best option when paired with a Cradlepoint modem, but it all seems a little overwhelming when you're not as technically savvy in this stuff.

It sounds like the best path forward would be to get someone with AT&T service to go to our house and see what level of service they are getting; that should be approximately what we could expect. Then, buy a Cradlepoint modem and get set up with OTR. After those initial steps, it sounds like it's somewhat unique connection issues for everyone.

Is that all there is to it?
hph6203
AG
It's basically a cellular hotspot with an Ethernet port. You stick your sim in, activate service, and plug it into a WiFi router. It's really not any different from a regular internet connection at its simplest form, but instead of a cable from the wall you have a SIM card in the modem.

Don't over complicate it, if you have good service don't mess with boosters/antennas. If it's not great then start looking into booster systems/antennas.
GIF Reactor
AG
hph6203 said:

It's basically a cellular hotspot with an Ethernet port. You stick your sim in, activate service, and plug it into a WiFi router. It's really not any different from a regular internet connection at its simplest form, but instead of a cable from the wall you have a SIM card in the modem.

Don't over complicate it, if you have good service don't mess with boosters/antennas. If it's not great then start looking into booster systems/antennas.
Thank you so much. I'm going to give it a go I think. Worst case is we go with the slow AT&T 5Mbps service from the pedestal at the street. I just don't think that'll suffice for 2 streams of Netflix plus 2 sessions of Fortnite all running simultaneously.
labmansid
Electrical_Ag said:

It sounds like the best path forward would be to get someone with AT&T service to go to our house and see what level of service they are getting; that should be approximately what we could expect.
Is that all there is to it?
That would be a highly recommended first step I think. If you can get data speed tests done from their phone using an app like Ookla's Speedtest, that could give you a good idea of what is possible from your location.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.