OTR Mobile Internet?

120,957 Views | 660 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BrazosDog02
Willie Lane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have been hanging on with OTR and not had too many problems, but the latest switch to low quality streaming was the final straw. We are in a location that is served by fixed wireless internet offereing unlimited, 20 down/4 up for for $80, so I made the switch.

If anyone is interested in my purchasing my setup, let me know.
Cradlepoint CBA850LP6-NA CAT6
2x Directional Antenna

MaroonBloodedAg2010
I saw this today.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/verizon-expands-lte-home-internet-to-rural-areas/

Verizon massively expanded their unlimited home lte service. Of course it's available in the zip code next to mine, but not mine. Does anyone know if this is actually unlimited, or does Verizon still throttle speeds?
labmansid
Great news! That should certainly help a lot of people close to a Verizon tower. This is all I could find about it on Verizon's website. Not sure when it will actually be available, my address is not at the moment.
https://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-expands-lte-home-internet-more-rural-areas

I took a screenshot from the PDF of zip codes local to B/CS that are supposed to be in their service area.

khkman22
AG
My zip code is in the list, but it's not available at my house. Only a couple miles from the tower.
Jefe07
AG
khkman22 said:

My zip code is in the list, but it's not available at my house. Only a couple miles from the tower.

Samesies.
tfunk02
AG
Jefe07 said:

khkman22 said:

Samesies.

I have a feeling the website isn't up to date if that's what you used to check. I'm going to go by the Verizon store later today to talk to them and see what they say.
labmansid
tfunk02 said:

Jefe07 said:

khkman22 said:

Samesies.

I have a feeling the website isn't up to date if that's what you used to check. I'm going to go by the Verizon store later today to talk to them and see what they say.
That was my thought as well. Something this new might take some time to fully roll out.
tfunk02
AG
The B/CS Texas Ave Verizon store said they know nothing except what we know, and they aren't setup to sell the plan yet. They said they will probably be given a couple of days notice before they start selling it.
labmansid
tfunk02 said:

The B/CS Texas Ave Verizon store said they know nothing except what we know, and they aren't setup to sell the plan yet. They said they will probably be given a couple of days notice before they start selling it.
I was out this afternoon for an errand in the Towerpoint area, and stopped by the Verizon store there asking if they knew anything about it. Of course they didn't, and tried to direct me to the main store in town. So much for available now.
Jefe07
AG
tfunk02 said:

Jefe07 said:

khkman22 said:

Samesies.

I thought about the fact that the website may not be updated yet. One thing I just saw in an article about it today is that the equipment/install fee is like $230 or something. For them to send you a box to plug in...
tfunk02
AG
"The service also requires that you purchase a proprietary router by Askey which costs $240, or with lease payments. It's a Cat-12 modem with ethernet ports for a local area network, an Ethernet WAN port, and a single antenna port for an optional window-mount antenna. It's not yet known if this port supports other antennas."

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/verizon-releases-4g-lte-fixed-wireless-access-home-internet-service/
lb3
AG
Willie Lane said:

I have been hanging on with OTR and not had too many problems, but the latest switch to low quality streaming was the final straw. We are in a location that is served by fixed wireless internet offereing unlimited, 20 down/4 up for for $80, so I made the switch.

If anyone is interested in my purchasing my setup, let me know.
Cradlepoint CBA850LP6-NA CAT6
2x Directional Antenna

Interested.
the enigma
So I stuck with OTR mobile through the change over to AT&t, and I got my SIM card in last week. I finally got around to putting it in tonight and I went from pulling speeds of 70ish to a whopping three! Is Bix wireless crap or is there another provider that uses T-Mobile at this point that anyone can recommend?
boy09
AG
Bix no longer has T Mobile available, and the best they can do for AT&T right now is put you on a wait list..
the enigma
I re-checked my speeds this morning after letting everything sit overnight. They were back up to 50ish which is pretty good to me since the tower is about 3.5 miles away and I cannot see it due to terrain and trees. Looks like I will be riding this out for a little longer. My hope is that one of the rural plans through Verizon or TMO (preferably) comes to my area. Verizon says it is available in my zip code but not at my address.
tfunk02
AG
Email me at my handle name at google mail.
bco2003
AG
T-Mobile is expanding their Home Internet offering as well.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/network/t-mobile-expands-home-internet-to-more-than-450-cities-towns-left-high-and-dry-by-att
the enigma
I saw that about TMO, my house sits right in between two of the cities they expanded into. I checked my address and it is still a no go
tfunk02
AG
I posted on LTEHacks.com about the AT&T drop they say that AT&T has a silent proxy server that blocks certain ports like 80 and causes the issue. They besides a reboot, a frequency band change can fix it. I'm not hoping a nerd smarter than me can help me figure out a work around.

I'll probably post a separate thread here to ask for help if I don't get more at LTEHacks.

https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1938
JHejl10
AG
https://forums.att.com/conversations/other-phones-devices/att-transparent-proxy-not-stable-hanging-connections-to-websites/5ee7bfdf483393542c96b341

I found this forum talking about the issue you, me, and others are facing. They mention in the forum that AT&T aware of the issue but apparently it's not a big deal to AT&T to fix. Some have mentioned calling the FCC to complain about AT&T unwillingness to prioritize it but unsure that will even do anything.

A couple users mentioned that a (preferably paid, not free) VPN is one solution. However with the VPN, some sites and streaming services may not work well with it. I will leave you with one of the quotes from a user:

"It is not your device, nor your SIM. It is caused by AT&T proxy servers that serve webpages to you. AT&T showed very clearly that they don't have any intention to fix this. Your options are: dealing with a VPN (cause problems with many websites, but keep your connection up) or move away from AT&T. Of course, please join the voice and open a FCC complaint so it shows another record of the same issue. "
twbot
I have been keeping a log when the AT&T disconnect happens - it is always at two or three random times during the day. We run an online business so we are online from early morning to about midnight ever day. Because we need that connection, we always reboot the Cradlepoint hotspot when it happens.

But I noticed that my logs NEVER show a problem when we start our day. The connection is always on in the morning. The connection is reset by my Cradlepoint's programmed daily reboot - but that's at 3am. Also, the few times we have been away from our AT&T connection for several hours during the day, when we come back it is ALWAYS on.

I wonder if AT&T resets the connection on its own if you leave it alone for a period of time? There is probably a log in the Cradlepoint somewhere that would show this...
chaca5151
Wife and I decided to do away with Never Throttled and stick with ATT rural internet; for the time being, my wife works from home, and I asked her which one she has the most problem with was NT.

The lack of response from IT support using NT was also another reason; it would take almost two days to get a response, and if you had a follow-up question, it would be another two days.

Every time I would check the ATT speeds, it would kick NT butt, plus it cut out a lot more than the ATT unit.

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
Jefe07
AG
How has your experience been with AT&T Rural Internet? Surely it's better since it's an actual AT&T service?
chaca5151
It actually hasn't been all that bad; my speeds range from 12 - 40 download and 2 - 4 upload. It cuts out periodically, which is annoying but not as much as NT using ATT 5-8min before it came back online.

I have it set to reboot every night at 1 am, and if it goes out while I'm home, I just login and reboot it; surprisingly, it connects within 30sec.

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
GeorgiAg
AG
OTRmobile Internet died last night. I've been unable to get it working again.

I need another option. It had been working fine.
GeorgiAg
AG
OTRmobile throttled my data -- Well actually ATT did. It's not unlimited.
tfunk02
AG
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/guides/unlimited-cellular-data-plan-directory/

Midway down this page there are options for unlimited. It's not always 100% up to date, but how could it be with how quickly these things change.
deweylittle
AG
My OTR has been pretty reliable for surfing and security camera monitoring since going to the "new" at&t service, but streaming was clearly being throttled last weekend at times. We probably only use about 50GB per month so we're not using a big chunk of bandwidth. Also noticed they began charging sales tax for the first time so we're now at $74 something.
GeorgiAg
AG
My girlfriends kids, 17F and 11M, use bandwidth like there is no tomorrow. I've been watching a lot of sports lately too, so that's probably put us over the limit.
the enigma
When OTR went back to ATT they (ATT) knocked down streaming to standard definition, nothing to due with being throttled or not
boy09
AG
deweylittle said:

My OTR has been pretty reliable for surfing and security camera monitoring since going to the "new" at&t service, but streaming was clearly being throttled last weekend at times. We probably only use about 50GB per month so we're not using a big chunk of bandwidth. Also noticed they began charging sales tax for the first time so we're now at $74 something.
They sent notices about streaming quality being knocked down and sales tax being added before they started doing it.
GeorgiAg
AG
I haven't been throttled. They killed my service completely for 3 days (at least).
Jefe07
AG
GeorgiAg said:

I haven't been throttled. They killed my service completely for 3 days (at least).
Where in the billing cycle were you? If you exceeded 400GB, it's likely that you violated the terms of service and they suspended your account. They did it to me without warning, but fortunately my service was reactivated at the beginning of the next billing cycle. They do have the ability to terminate your account, though, according to their terms. So may be worth chatting with them to find out.

If you didn't exceed their download limit....then who the hell knows why??
boy09
AG
GeorgiAg said:

We've had one or 2 devices go offline and give us the "Mobile Broadband Disconnected" message.

In my experience, if you get on chat and tell them what's going on, it takes them about 5 minutes to "resend a signal" to my SIM/device, whatever the hell that means. But it brings it back to life.
GeorgiAg
AG
I talked to them. We went over the limit. My girlfriend's kids had friends over. They were home 24/7. I'll have to monitor their use going forward.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.