OTR Mobile Internet?

120,962 Views | 660 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BrazosDog02
Jethro95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If your router supports it you can limit bandwidth by device. I have our Roku's and a few other devices limited so that they don't have enough bandwidth to support 4K. There was no way to do that in the Amazon app so I had to get creative. Also, kids don't need to be watching YouTube in 4K on their phones.
GeorgiAg
AG
I have a Unifi security gateway and router. Should be able to, if I can ever figure it out.
txyaloo
AG
the enigma said:

When OTR went back to ATT they (ATT) knocked down streaming to standard definition, nothing to due with being throttled or not
VPN should get around it. I do it on Visible and other MVNOs and post-paid gUDP Verizon to get past the720p block
WheelinAg
AG
My saga is over. Brazos Wifi finally got a tower close enough to me that I got hooked up too. TFunk, I know you're lower than me, but maybe it's worth another shot. The tower is at Brazos Valley Recycling across 60 from us.

Also, TFunk gave me a directional antenna that works with Net Gear modems, mine is the LB1121. I should pay this forward if it could help anyone. I also still owe the Funk for this.
Jethro95
AG
This should get you going.

labmansid
WheelinAg said:

My saga is over. Brazos Wifi finally got a tower close enough to me that I got hooked up too. TFunk, I know you're lower than me, but maybe it's worth another shot. The tower is at Brazos Valley Recycling across 60 from us.

Same for me, only it was CEO that ran a fiber line to my house yesterday. Woohoo! Finally, some "real" internet.
tfunk02
AG
I got on the roof after the cold front came through to look for the tower. I don't think I can see it. I'll try again at night. With StarLink coming, I'm not going to spend any money to get a tower unless my other options run dry.

Thanks for letting me know. I still have a little hope.
the enigma
TFunk - I had decent service with ATT before the changes even tho the tower was 3+ miles away and I couldn't see it....
tfunk02
AG
the enigma said:

TFunk - I had decent service with ATT before the changes even tho the tower was 3+ miles away and I couldn't see it....
I was talking about the new Brazos WiFi fixed wireless tower. I'm pretty sure you need direct line of sight to get it.
the enigma
Ahh gotcha
GeorgiAg
AG
Service restored. 20+ Mbs down. Just gotta limit those dang kids from burning up the internet.
tfunk02
AG
I finally got a work around going for the AT&T cut offs. My Edgerouter wouldn't work with NordVPN, and I couldn't figure out how to do it on the Cradlepoint, even though I think it can. I ended up finding out my old gaming NetDuma R1 router has great VPN software and got it up and running with a dedicated IP pretty quickly. I haven't had a full dropout since Saturday. It did disconnect for about 5 minutes once, but came back on it's own. I also found that I need to reboot the router when the modem reboots so I had to stop the nightly Cradlepoint reboots until I find out how to get the router to reboot at the same time.

Edit: It does introduce extra latency but from speed tests it seems like it is only about 20 extra milliseconds. Looks like I'm still under 100ms most of the time.
chaca5151
All the VPN stuff is over my head!
tfunk02
AG
Well, so far it hasn't been a perfect change up. I have lost internet a couple of times, but probably 1/5th the amount. I do have a dedicated IP through NordVPN. Once you have that it's easy with the right router. It's hella hard without it.
twbot
@tfunk02

I wish I could figure out how to do your setup with the Cradlepoint and my TP Link AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router. I have Cyberghost VPN and they offer a dedicated IP but I have no clue what you mean regarding using your old router's "VPN software" .
tfunk02
AG
Unless you have a MBR1400v2, AER21X0, AER31X0, IBR11X0, or IBR600 Cradlepoint, your Cradlepoint does not support it.

Your TP Link router also doesn't support VPN software, from a quick google. Your best option would be to find a router that supports it or do this with a Raspberry Pi... GhostVPN with Raspberry Pi

I set my Cradlepoint to IP passthrough, use an older router that supports VPN, and set my Orbi's to be access points only and not to be a router. All I had to do was follow a walk through on the NordVPN website, copy paste from the NordVPN sites my user name/password, a config file, and turn it on.

I'm sure you can find a list of GhostVPN compatible routers. The software my router has is called NetDuma OS and DumaOS is currently available on the Netduma R1 (what I have) and NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500, XR700, XR300 and XR450.
twbot
Thanks for all the info. My Cradlepoint is the CBA850.

I'm not tech savvy enough and too busy this quarter to spend that much time trying to get something like the Pi router to work but I did discover that CyberGhost recommends Flashrouters, which sells routers, like the Netgear R6700, with preconfigured VPN software for CyberGhost (and other VPNs).

https://www.flashrouters.com/netgear-r6700-ddwrt-router

Their cheapest reconditioned router is $149.00 but they charge extra $$ for support. One on one support can run you $60 for 3 months - for ONE session during the 3 month period.

I'd really consider it if I absolutely knew it would permanently get rid of the 2 or 3 AT&T disconnects we get each day but disconnects are merely an annoyance - I just turn the CP off and back on when it happens.
tfunk02
AG
Well, AT&T has found a way around the VPN to shut my internet off about every 30 minutes now, and have also decided to shut down my current 3rd party vendor in the next few days. Looks like I'll be trying out TMobile now. I really wish I could buy directly from TMobile or Verizon, but I'm still not in the right "area" according to their sites.

Come on StarLink beta...
Jefe07
AG
I saw a few weeks ago that Elon replied to a tweet about when Florida would get access to the beta, and he replied with "early 2021" or something.
twbot
We've been so busy we didn't notice but my wife and I both realized today it had been a few days without AT&T disconnecting us. Just looked at my log of AT&T disconnections. November 23 was last day we had a disconnect. They just stopped completely. The disconnects had been happening two or three times a day since August 2020.

Hope it stays this way...

My speeds appear lower - I'll have to start testing again every day - but last test a few minutes ago showed 25mbps down and 2Mbps up.

GeorgiAg
AG
Welp. OTR Mobile is down for me now. Need to find a new provider. Any suggestions?
black_ice
Bix
MaroonBloodedAg2010
twbot said:

We've been so busy we didn't notice but my wife and I both realized today it had been a few days without AT&T disconnecting us. Just looked at my log of AT&T disconnections. November 23 was last day we had a disconnect. They just stopped completely. The disconnects had been happening two or three times a day since August 2020.

Hope it stays this way...

My speeds appear lower - I'll have to start testing again every day - but last test a few minutes ago showed 25mbps down and 2Mbps up.

The random disconnects for me on NeverThrottled have completely stopped about a month ago too. I guess AT&T fixed whatever was causing them.
tfunk02
AG
Rise Broadband (WISP) finally upgraded the tower by me and now I'm on that. It's only 25Mbps down 4 up, but it's more consistent for us.
twbot
BIXwireless notified me a few weeks ago that AT&T planned to disconnect subscribers with older SIMs. Reason unknown. They kindly sent me a new SIM via Priority and told me to use it only if the service actually disconnected. Nothing changed until today, the last day of 2020, when the AT&T service stopped abruptly.

I popped the new SIM into the Cradlepoint and (crossing fingers) everything is back to normal.
black_ice
twbot said:

BIXwireless notified me a few weeks ago that AT&T planned to disconnect subscribers with older SIMs. Reason unknown. They kindly sent me a new SIM via Priority and told me to use it only if the service actually disconnected. Nothing changed until today, the last day of 2020, when the AT&T service stopped abruptly.

I popped the new SIM into the Cradlepoint and (crossing fingers) everything is back to normal.

Same. Love Bix
JHejl10
AG
I'm a Bix customer and my account has been down since around 12am on 1/1. Apparently AT&T's servers didn't auto renew thousands of Bix customers lines. Looks like it's on AT&T's side. They haven't came up with a resolution yet since it's the holiday weekend and their AT&T reps aren't available. Sure is gonna suck if they have to manually activate new sims for all of their customers. Any other AT&T services other than Bix get shut off?
bco2003
AG
T-Mobile began deploying our 5G Home Internet gateways this week.
boy09
AG
JHejl10 said:

I'm a Bix customer and my account has been down since around 12am on 1/1. Apparently AT&T's servers didn't auto renew thousands of Bix customers lines. Looks like it's on AT&T's side. They haven't came up with a resolution yet since it's the holiday weekend and their AT&T reps aren't available. Sure is gonna suck if they have to manually activate new sims for all of their customers. Any other AT&T services other than Bix get shut off?

All of OTR's "Blue Blast" plans were shut off. The replacement SIMs they are sending out are T-Mobile.
twbot
My new AT&T SIM from Bix has worked since I replaced the SIM that AT&T shut down at the end of 2020. But speeds have jumped from high 40Mbps range to dropping below 1Mbps. AT&T still worked, just impossibly slow. A modem restart has brought it back up to the 40Mbps range each time.

One other item - Bix increased my 2021 monthly price by $10 - saying that AT&T raised the price to them.

@JHejl10

RE your post on 1/2/21

Did you not get the email from BIX about needing a new SIM in 2021?
CCAg95
AG
boy09 said:

JHejl10 said:

All of OTR's "Blue Blast" plans were shut off. The replacement SIMs they are sending out are T-Mobile.
I received my replacement SIM but my device says my provider needs to unlock. OTR said they can not do it and said go find some other service to do it.
East_Tex-Ags
Hey guys new here.... located near the Tyler/Lindale area.
Cable internet is stopped 1 mile from my house and they do not plan on coming my way. I having to use AT&T DSL (4.5mbps max.)... we've had it for 12 years. I recently ran across a company here call KP Evolution. They provide a AT&T cell data internet system. They sell a modem for $250 and I will be charged $95/mo. I will also have a $125 activation fee. went to the AT&T website and it shows 5g at my house on the map.
So what do y'all think and is there a cheaper and better way to go?
boy09
AG
I was afraid that might happen with our devices, I haven't put the new SIM in yet to see...

I've used dc-unlocker (it was the one suggested by OTR) to unlock a few devices. It costs like $8-$10 to unlock a device.
East_Tex-Ags
Is a Netgear Nighthawk M1 MR1100 a good modem?
tfunk02
AG
East_Tex-Ags said:

Is a Netgear Nighthawk M1 MR1100 a good modem?
Yes, it's a good modem. I'd take the battery out to keep it from getting too hot if you aren't needing it. It is a bit older and does not support 5G. You can find it for a bit less than they are charging especially used.

The prices from the place you posted are pretty high. I'd check the other AT&T providers and bring your own device. For $250 I'd rather have a Mofi or Cradlepoint type standalone LTE Modem.That activation charge is pretty high too. I don't think I've ever paid more than $25 and normally $0.

These are your best learning resources:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LTE.HACKS
https://ltehacks.com/
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.