Cord Cutting for Beginners

93,962 Views | 553 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gomer95
MRB10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jay040 said:

PlayStation Vue appears to kiss Sinclair goodbye: 'We were unable to come to terms'

Sinclair Comments On Why They Pulled Their Channels From PlayStation Vue

Sinclair removes its TV stations from Playstation Vue

Quote:

"We regret Sony was not willing to meet certain requirements for carrying our stations," Barry Faber, Sinclair's executive vice president for network relations and distribution, said in an announcement earlier this week. "That [network] content represents just a fraction of the programming Sinclair's stations provide and does not include any of our award-winning news or popular syndicated programming," Sinclair said in its announcement.

Faber urged Sony subscribers to consider other video distributor options, including Sony competitor YouTube TV.
Doesn't sound like Vue will be getting Sinclair locals back any time soon.

If I'm reading the interwebs right, it doesn't look like this will affect stations in Dallas. Meaning, no need to worry in DFW. Yes?
BallerStaf2003
AG
Does sports have a good frame rate with all of these services? Like is it choppy or fluid?
aTm2004
AG
For me, the quality is similar to what I had with Satellite. But then again, I'm not somebody who has $10k tied up in video equipment.
montyBag
nwspmp
Tabasco said:

nwspmp said:

superunknown said:

Directv now has a first 3 months for $10 deal going on right now. No app for samsung smart tvs yet, so I'd need to get a roku, chromecast or fire tv stick, etc. Anyone recommend either/or with directv now?
They also have a deal where if you prepay three months of DirecTV Now you can get a free Apple TV 4K. Normally this device is $179, but the three months of service is as low as $105 ($35/month * 3), which means the device is almost $75 less and you get the three months of service.
This is what I did. If that deal is still going, it is a no brainer. I think my apple tv came in a week to a week and and a half.
Note: This deal ends today, 5/31, according to AppleInsider. Total with tax was $113 for the three months of service and the 4K Apple TV.
HouseDivided06
AG
Damn I JUST started researching all of this and am leaning towards DirecTV Now because the channels for the Just Right package really hit what we watch. And our 4 year old LOVES some of the Nick Jr shows that are not included on Youtube TV. Do you have to sign up for any additional months or sign a contract, or can I cancel after the 3 months if I want?

Edit: Just was going through the sign up process, and it shows the free Apple TV ends 6/8, so another week before you have to make a decision.
nwspmp
HouseDivided06 said:

Damn I JUST started researching all of this and am leaning towards DirecTV Now because the channels for the Just Right package really hit what we watch. And our 4 year old LOVES some of the Nick Jr shows that are not included on Youtube TV. Do you have to sign up for any additional months or sign a contract, or can I cancel after the 3 months if I want?

Edit: Just was going through the sign up process, and it shows the free Apple TV ends 6/8, so another week before you have to make a decision.
Glad to hear! We've been super happy with our setup with DTVNow. To my knowledge, you can just cancel the account at anytime (I would after the ATV is received) and that's it.

Just saw this earlier today and thought I'd pass it on: https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/05/31/final-day-free-apple-tv-4k-with-3-months-of-directv-now-get-both-for-105
HouseDivided06
AG
Interesting. This is what I'm showing on their site when I go through the steps

2ndChanceAg96
AG
I'm not showing the offer is still available. Let me know if anyone finds it.
HouseDivided06
AG
I just went to AT&T's website and it is still there when you start the sign up process. You pick the option you want, if there are any add ons, then it gives you the option for the Roku if you prepay for a month or an Apple TV if you prepay for 3 months.
nwspmp
2ndChanceAg96 said:

I'm not showing the offer is still available. Let me know if anyone finds it.
https://www.directvnow.com/appletv

Still shows as active here!
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Cool. Thanks guys.
texag_89
Ok.... Out of all the streaming services mentioned and available, who has the best and most functional DVR service?

And, Directtvnow has a beta version... Is that expected to be a "launched" or final version soon and is it expected to be good??

Storage space and storage time frame for me is important as well as time-shifting functionality.

Thx
_89
jay040
prob youtube tv. It's unlimited. I have PSVue - good for 30 days, time shifting is iffy (sports that run late).
Sully
AG
Was on Vue for 2 years...went to YouTube TV 3 months ago. Switch has been great...very happy with YTTV. More channels, better gui/layout/dvr and cost is neutral.
texag_89
Sully said:

Was on Vue for 2 years...went to YouTube TV 3 months ago. Switch has been great...very happy with YTTV. More channels, better gui/layout/dvr and cost is neutral.
Ya, the YTTV DVR seems to be the consensus answer on this thread.

So, given I live in a non-yttv market and it may be a while before they offer in my area, can I spoof my IP Addy to one of their current offer markets and gain access?

Also, which services gives me ESPN+ streaming access? Does YTTV?

Thanks again.
_89
Reload8098
AG
Apologies in advance for not reading the whole thread. 12 month old is sucking up my time.
What would be the best option if my main interests are:
Aggie Sports
DVR capability
Fox Business/News
History Channel
NG
TBN
FX
Miscellaneous other channels

The Catfish
AG
Mostly fluid and I stream over wifi. Usually some initial buffering where you get a chop, but works itself out after 30-45 seconds or so. If your WiFi is jammed up during peak times you may get a few seconds of chop here and there.
jay040
Youtube TV or Vue
TX scallywAG
AG
No history on Vue or YT, but History has it's own streaming service (more true history content vs reality last I looked):
https://www.historyvault.com/purchase

Sling had History last I checked.

My wife couldn't go YT... no Hallmark or HGTV. DIY is a nice bonus. All on Vue. On that subject, for anyone looking to keep the ladies in the house happy, remember CW & PBS have free a la carte apps where they post all their new episodes. They don't miss anything there.

Vue plans:
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/

I go with Access non football, bump to Core during football (add SEC N).

Just know, most streaming services will be going up $5 soon.
https://www.slashgear.com/bad-week-for-cord-cutters-sling-tv-playstation-vue-directv-now-03536443/amp/

Email I received:

Quote:

We are writing to let you know that the monthly cost of the PlayStationVue Access plan will increase by $5 to $44.99 per month.*

This change will be reflected as of your next subscription renewal date on August 20, 2018.

This $5 per month pricing increase applies to all PlayStationVue multi-channel plans for new subscriptions, plan upgrades, and plan downgrades as of July 24, 2018.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
Reload8098
AG
Really appreciate the feedback Ags! Thanks so much!
SoTxAg
AG
Officially cut cord today. Only worry is potentially messing up saturday football viewing. We'll see.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I was so dang close to cutting the cord. I even had the free trial of PSVue which was going to cost me $57/month. I got DirectTV to match their price for a year so I'm sticking around.
WoMD
Reload8098 said:

Apologies in advance for not reading the whole thread. 12 month old is sucking up my time.
What would be the best option if my main interests are:
Aggie Sports
DVR capability
Fox Business/News
History Channel
NG
TBN
FX
Miscellaneous other channels

As far as I know, DIRECTV Now has all of those. In fact, I don't think it's missing any big channels, unlike all the other offerings, which have some rather glaring omissions.
Txanon
Nevermind, said too much
easttexasaggie04
AG
DTV Now didn't have locals in my market. Yet.
WoMD
easttexasaggie04 said:

DTV Now didn't have locals in my market. Yet.

Ah, sorry. My market has been covered for awhile, so assumed most were by now.
aggiechugger
AG
This is my last month of Dish Network. I believe I will be going with Hulu live tv as my streaming service. I can get all the local channels with Hulu (no way to get OTA local where I am). As of right now I have a Fire Stick but I am thinking about getting either the new Fire cube or the Roku Ultimate.
cr
aggiechugger said:

This is my last month of Dish Network. I believe I will be going with Hulu live tv as my streaming service. I can get all the local channels with Hulu (no way to get OTA local where I am). As of right now I have a Fire Stick but I am thinking about getting either the new Fire cube or the Roku Ultimate.

One thing to note: right now, Hulu Live does not have a guide for the Roku. I hear they are working on it.

The current Hulu UI for Roku is not good imo. I use Hulu on my android phone to see the guide.

Other than that, I'm pleased with it.
TX scallywAG
AG
That's how the Vue guide was on Roku originally (vs Fire TV). They eventually added the more traditional guide to Roku devices (vs the tiles) and the experience improved.

Good point that the user experience can vary based on streaming service and device. I recommend watching lots of YouTube reviews.

Also, I recall Amazon & Google were in a pissing match and youtube was pulled from FireTV devices. Assuming that was resolved, but I went with the 4K Roku as they seem the most neutral (between Chrome, Fire, Apple, & Roku) with the respective services out there.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
Psychag
AG
I've had Vue for several months. I'm going to try YTTV since it should have all major networks. I want to be able to watch Sunday Night NFL.
AgsWin2011
AG
I have DTV Now and was going to do the same thing. However, locals were just added in my area within the last day or so. I get all local/major networks except for ABC. Not a big deal to not have that one. Any football game on ABC is most likely going to be on Watch ESPN.
nwspmp
https://www.thrifter.com/tablo-dual-64gb-over-the-air-dvr

Tablo OTA tuner network DVR at almost half price. Has 64GB on-board storage and expandable via USB drive. Can stream your OTA recordings in house and out of house. Has iOS, Android, Roku, AppleTV and FireTV apps.

I purchased my SiliconDust devices before these were available, but if not, I was heavily looking at these.

Also, there are programs to export the Tablo recordings to other formats and direct dropping into Plex systems.

https://community.tablotv.com/t/tablo-recordings-to-plex-server/14199
Boo Weekley
Psychag said:

I've had Vue for several months. I'm going to try YTTV since it should have all major networks. I want to be able to watch Sunday Night NFL.
Doesn't Vue have NBC all other major networks? On their channel lineup it shows the local stations for these channels. Is there something I am missing?
nwspmp
Boo Weekley said:

Psychag said:

Doesn't Vue have NBC all other major networks? On their channel lineup it shows the local stations for these channels. Is there something I am missing?
Each service has varying levels of local channel access due to licensing and streaming rights. Typically, most of the streaming services does have the national brand (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, etc) shows on-demand, but the actual local channel streaming varies by service and by local area.

For example, I have DTVNow and just got local streaming in B/CS about two weeks ago for CBS, NBC and Fox. No ABC local but On-Demand streaming.

Sling TV at the same location has only Fox On-Demand and NBC On-Demand.
YouTube TV not officially available here.
Can't look up PSVue at work; gaming is blocked?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.