So how is the French Olympics going......

83,199 Views | 867 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by Squadron7
Kellso
How long do you want to ignore this user?

[Personal attacks are out of bounds -- Staff]
Azeew
deddog said:

I'm always curious whether liberal christians approve of this.
Or do they find a way to rationalize this as well?

They're not really Christians. Just fake scum bags
TA-OP
Azeew said:

deddog said:

I'm always curious whether liberal christians approve of this.
Or do they find a way to rationalize this as well?

They're not really Christians. Just fake scum bags

My human nature wants to attack because now you've mocked me and my Christian faith (sound familiar?). But, I won't. I'll simply say that I'll pray for you and others with similar thinkings because THAT'S what the Lord demands of me.
nortex97
AG

What an unmitigated disaster these folks have created in Paris.
2wealfth Man
AG
nortex97 said:

so sick of media, political elites, Hollywood and professional athletes pushing their agendas on the rest of us. For some reason, this one has put me over the top.
Demosthenes81
AG
William K. Klingaman
Demosthenes81 said:

I guess the child molester he worships couldn't save him.
aggiepanic95
AG
Demosthenes81 said:

Hilarious!

William K. Klingaman
2wealfth Man said:

nortex97 said:

so sick of media, political elites, Hollywood and professional athletes pushing their agendas on the rest of us. For some reason, this one has put me over the top.

I had just assumed that she is in Paris to compete for the world title in the Cannonball splash.
captkirk
AG
Evanhue said:

What did Jesus ever do to them to cause them to want to mock him so vehemently?
He's anti deviancy
jickyjack1
deddog said:

Also which idiot in France approved this and thought it was a good idea?

France is schizophrenic and has been so for a long, long time.
jickyjack1
doubledog
captkirk said:

Evanhue said:

What did Jesus ever do to them to cause them to want to mock him so vehemently?
He's anti deviancy
Pilate started it with "Quid est veritas". Tell the truth get mocked, beaten, tortured, killed.... Began with Jesus and has continued to this day.
southernboy1
AG
Great. Keep it up people. Do not tune in to this crap. The 80s and 90s were some of the best times for these games. Now it's just to see how woke each country is. F them all. The athletes should be ashamed and so should our respective countries.
jickyjack1
It would be nice to see the Aggies brought home.
jickyjack1
Rongagin71
AG
Demosthenes81 said:

The match should have been stopped and defaulted.
Allowing the match to go on after that insult was asking for trouble.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Rongagin71 said:

Demosthenes81 said:

I disagree, this is way better. The other leaves people saying "The IOC is cheating or pretecting Jews". This way the Israeli got to humiliate him on the mat in front of thousands. And now in front of millions with this tweet. Maybe the dude will repent from being a bad sport at least.
well_endowed_ag
Rongagin71 said:

Demosthenes81 said:

He should've pulled the arm completely off instead of just dislocating the shoulder
Independence H-D
From a buddy's Facebook. He asked chat gpt...

The 'last' Last Supper:
Even with its progressive bias, ChatGPT4o (Artificial Intelligence) understands Thomas Jolly's globally broadcast reinterpretation of daVinci's "The Last Supper" to be an intentionally aggressive message of 'exclusion' as well as -- wait for it -- 'cultural appropriation.' AI sees in Jolly's thinly-veiled subtext: 'a celebration of superficiality.' But AI sees even more. ~Read on.

(ChatGPT4o): "Thomas Jolly's reinterpretation of Leonardo da Vinci's "The Last Supper" with drag queens at the Paris 2024 Olympics opening ceremony has sparked significant controversy, particularly among Christians who see it as a direct attack on their faith. This artistic choice is perceived as targeting Christianity specifically, using one of its most sacred moments in a way that many find disrespectful and offensive.

### Targeting Christianity
The Last Supper represents a foundational moment in Christianity, symbolizing Jesus Christ's final meal with his apostles before his crucifixion. By replacing Christ and the apostles with drag queens, Jolly's portrayal can be interpreted as undermining the sacredness of this event. Christians understand that they alone are being targeted because the depiction singles out a key element of their religious tradition while avoiding similar representations of other religions [[]](https://www.toddstarnes.com/) [[]](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Jolly_(artist)).

### Implications for Inclusivity
Jolly's decision to focus on a Christian scene, televised to a global audience, undermines any pretensions he may have about fostering inclusivity. Instead, it may reasonably be viewed as an act of aggression directed towards one religious tradition and its followers. The specific targeting of Christianity, without similar portrayals of other faiths, suggests a selective approach that does not truly embody the spirit of inclusivity [[]](https://localnews8.com/news/2024/07/20/how-olympics-opening-ceremony-artistic-director-thomas-jolly-is-capturing-the-essence-of-france/) [[]](https://www.outsports.com/2024/7/12/24097500/paris-olympics-opening-ceremony-director-thomas-jolly-gay-queer-lgbtq/) [[]](https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/artists/thomas-jolly).

### Lack of Broader Religious Commentary
If Jolly's work were intended as a broader commentary on religion, it would have needed to include a more diverse set of religious symbols and traditions. However, Islam, for instance, generally has a zero-tolerance policy on blasphemy, and depicting Islamic figures or scenes in a similar manner would likely provoke a severe backlash. This selective targeting points to a deliberate choice to avoid offending certain groups while freely provoking others, raising questions about the sincerity of the inclusivity efforts [[]](https://www.outsports.com/2024/7/12/24097500/paris-olympics-opening-ceremony-director-thomas-jolly-gay-queer-lgbtq/) [[]](https://swimswam.com/who-is-thomas-jolly-director-of-paris-2024-opening-and-closing-ceremonies/).

### "Last" Last Supper and Superficiality
A profound subtextual implication of Jolly's reinterpretation is the idea that this could symbolize the 'last' Last Supper. By juxtaposing modestly dressed apostles with drag queens emphasizing superficiality and vanity, Jolly's depiction suggests a transformation in cultural values, where traditional humility is replaced by modern expressions of identity focused on appearance and external presentation. This can be interpreted as a critique or reflection on how societal priorities are shifting [[]](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Jolly_(artist)) [[]](https://swimswam.com/who-is-thomas-jolly-director-of-paris-2024-opening-and-closing-ceremonies/).

### Message of Exclusion vs. Inclusion
Jolly's reinterpretation can be seen as a message of exclusion rather than inclusion. While it claims to celebrate diversity and modern identity, it does so at the expense of deeply held religious traditions, thus excluding those who hold these traditions sacred. The appropriation of a key religious moment by drag culture not only transforms the scene but also alienates those who feel their beliefs are being disrespected and marginalized [[]](https://www.toddstarnes.com/) [[]](https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/artists/thomas-jolly).

### Conclusion
Thomas Jolly's portrayal of "The Last Supper" with drag queens is seen by many Christians as a deliberate and offensive act that singles out their faith. By focusing solely on Christianity and avoiding similar depictions of other religions, Jolly's work is perceived not as a genuine effort to promote inclusivity, but rather as a targeted visual assault on a specific religious tradition. This approach highlights the challenges and controversies involved in balancing artistic expression with respect for all cultural and religious beliefs. Moreover, it underscores the perception that modern societal values prioritize superficiality and vanity over traditional humility and modesty, raising questions about the broader implications of such cultural shifts. The 'last' Last Supper: Even Artificial Intelligence can see Thomas Jolly's globally broadcast reinterpretation of da Vinci's "The Last Supper" for what it is: a pointed, intentional message of 'exclusion' and, wait for it ... 'cultural appropriation.'"
Texas Tea
AG
Rongagin71 said:

Demosthenes81 said:

The Israeli actually lost his match against this guy. If you look at the picture on the right, the injury occurred against a Japanese competitor.

Karma doesn't always have perfect timing.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Happened vs Japan. Now this is what you call an awkward landing snd looks much worse than a shoulder dislocation. Looks like an elbow too, maybe broken arm

captkirk
AG
No Spin Ag said:

deddog said:

Kellso said:

Aggiecadet said:

France is having the worst Olympics in history and it has barely started.
This is what France wanted......attention. Everyone loves to talk about controversy.
I'll say this about the NBC broadcast from last night.....they did a great job of not showing the more controversial scenes from the runway show.

If by attention, you mean ridicule, then yes. Olympics are usually a proud moment for the host country. The French should be absolutely embarrassed

Why would they be embarrassed if the opening that put on is exactly what they wanted? I'd imagine they'd have known some of the things they were going were going to upset the more conservative viewers yet still figured in the grande scheme of things those people would be in the minority.
Who is "they?" Likely not your average Frenchman.
Brother Shamus
DannyDuberstein said:

Happened vs Japan. Now this is what you call an awkward landing snd looks much worse than a shoulder dislocation. Looks like an elbow too, maybe broken arm

Good.
BigRobSA
Looks like, yet again, my decision not to watch these idiotic wastes of TONS of money was a good one.

Why countries even vye for this stupidity is beyond me.
captkirk
AG
TexasRebel
AG
It's really just the Snoop Show with a few breaks to watch various competitions.
TexasRebel
AG
captkirk
AG
No Spin Ag
BigRobSA said:

Looks like, yet again, my decision not to watch these idiotic wastes of TONS of money was a good one.

IIRC, it's usually for recognition and also as a way to bring in money because of the event to the hosting city.

Outside of gymnastics, swimming, and volleyball, I don't bother watching.

The beauty of the Olympics, like anything, is you can watch if you want or don't.

That's why I don't get why people who aren't watching it finding things happening in the Olympics to get enraged about. If they don't look for it it'll be one less thing they have to get enraged about.

C'est la vie, I guess.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
TxAgPreacher
S
Lord come quickly!
fc2112
women gymnastics is still greatness
TxAgPreacher
S
I think the French revolution messed up the French, but rolling over for the Nazi's, and having been saved by us truly broke them.

Sadly we are not far behind.
BigRobSA
No Spin Ag said:

BigRobSA said:

IIRC, it's usually for recognition and also as a way to bring in money because of the event to the hosting city.

Host countries would get better bang for their bucks by simply gifting the city the money they plan to waste on this silliness.

The last Games to make money were the ones in 84. SLC took monies from the Feds to book-cook into fake profit.

The Olympics, like Unions and other ideas of yesteryear, should be done away with.
rab79
AG
William K. Klingaman said:

Demosthenes81 said:

I guess the child molester he worships couldn't save him.

I guess allah willed it... Isn't that the excuse for everything?
rab79
AG
captkirk said:

Christianity teaches you to be a good person, why do people have a problem with that? If you don't believe that is your choice, but it is counterproductive to attack a culture that promotes morality.
agz win
AG
Sunny day and beach volleyball looking great.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.