1 in 8 Americans are now on Ozempic or other GLP1 meds

33,390 Views | 383 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by No Spin Ag
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be interested in y'alls perspective when you're 69 or so. The purpose of exercise changes to tone, stamina and flexibility. Also, I plan to exercise for the remainder of my life, to do so the primary focus is avoiding the only thing which will stop me from doing that, which is injury.

If you're unfamiliar, look at these guys... NEXT LEVEL AQUATIC TRAINING
Harry Stone
AG
Teslag said:

Harry Stone said:

Teslag said:

I've heard of those. Are the compounded versions the same as the formulary versions?

For the most part yes. A few texagers have used us. Main difference is we cant use an injection pen but rather a small insulin syringe. We can currently do while the drugs are on shortage or backorder. Once they go off then everyone has to go back to paying a small mortgage on them. But the demand has far outweighed the supply so theyll be on shortage for a while.

I may have to hit you up. We have quite a few overweight soldiers in my unit trying to pass the army's new body fat standard. Unfortunately Tricare is making them take Phentermine, then Contrave, and then Qsymia before they'll approve Wegovy.

PM me if you need anything.
Stonegateag85
Kids and adults weren't addicted to phones and being sedentary.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
AggielandPoultry said:

Honestly I have mentally been against people using these drugs to lose weight knowing just how hard I work to stay lean, etc. But the truth is, if i were overweight with issues I would take it as well. No different than bodybuilders I know taking huge amounts of steroids to get big. Either way we are all going to die at some point.

I disagree with that analogy. Bodybuilders take anabolic steroids to reach a point they genetically can't without them. Nearly everyone on ozempic would lose the weight if they improved their diet.
AggielandPoultry
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

AggielandPoultry said:

Honestly I have mentally been against people using these drugs to lose weight knowing just how hard I work to stay lean, etc. But the truth is, if i were overweight with issues I would take it as well. No different than bodybuilders I know taking huge amounts of steroids to get big. Either way we are all going to die at some point.

I disagree with that analogy. Bodybuilders take anabolic steroids to reach a point they genetically can't without them. Nearly everyone on ozempic would lose the weight if they improved their diet.

I am just meaning health risk one vs the other.
AggieChemist
AG
my wife has been T1D since childhood and has autonomic neuropathy and gastroparesis.

I wouldn't wish gastroparesis on my worst enemy. She has spent 8 weeks in the hospital in the last 12 months.

The soundtrack of my wife retching helplessly in the bathroom will be playing when I blow my brains out some day.
DTP02
AG
jamey said:

AtticusMatlock said:

If it reduces the strain on the healthcare system and reduces out payments by insurance companies, medicare, and medicaid for all of these chronic diseases caused by obesity, I'm all for it.

Obesity is directly linked to risk for stroke, heart failure, heart attack, diabetes, vascular disease, cancer, liver disease and a bunch of other stuff. Get people at a more normal weight for a few hundred bucks a month and you are saving the system billions of dollars in the future.

I wonder how much 1 in 8 people were eating. 12.5% of population eating something like 20% of the total?

Maybe we see the price of food come down a little. 1 in 8 is a lot of people

I suspect the morbidly obese are more likely eating different types of food, not just greater quantities. I don't think my steak prices are going to drop much because former fatties are now eating one steak instead of two. Same re seafood, veggies, etc.
2aggiesmom
Teslag said:

ts5641 said:

What could go wrong? Large amounts of people on Rx meds. Should work out fine.

Do you know how many people are currently on lifetime meds for various ailments without issue?
I have been on medicine for hypertension since I was 19. I weighed 98 pounds, 5'4". I am 74 now, 138 . My bp has never been affected by my weight but without meds my bp is very high. As long as I take my meds it is pretty well controlled.
WdlsAg
Semaglutide only treats a symptom (being fat, obese & overweight) for a larger chronic problem...Overeating and sedentary lifestyles. If the larger problem isn't fixed, then nothing is cured and the weight will come back.

This process destroys the metabolic engine that keeps us healthy, fit, and mobile.

I'm watching my 40- to 50-year-old peers deteriorate from their unhealthy lifestyles of the last three decades... adding more weight... losing more muscle... losing their ability to thrive and enjoy life.

Without lifting weights, eating better, and moving more... No pill will ever reverse their current path in life!

Meanwhile, I lift 4/days a week, do cardio 2/days a week, and seek out active outlets. My weight is equivalent to my fittest days in college. (I'm 51). My waist size is the same. Life is GOOD!
YouBet
AG
As someone who used to religiously lift I never got to the point of consuming the absurd amounts of protein some of y'all do. Eating all day to hit the levels of protein posted here was just never realistic for me. I would have been forcing food down my throat and been miserable.

When I hit 45, I had to stop lifting for the most part. Drew the short straw on having both shoulders go through Frozen Shoulder issues. That's about an 18 month process to get through that is highly painful and you can't lift anything while it's going on. That set me back about 3 years and I'm still not totally over it.

At 50, I no longer lift heavy because I would just injure myself. I stick to body weight exercises with some cable work and mostly eat a modified paleo diet prescribed by my Functional Doctor.
techno-ag
AG
The gut has been called the second brain. Good eating is tied to mood and mental health. We should all strive to avoid sugar and processed foods.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

Tex117
AG
WdlsAg said:

Semaglutide only treats a symptom (being fat, obese & overweight) for a larger chronic problem...Overeating and sedentary lifestyles. If the larger problem isn't fixed, then nothing is cured and the weight will come back.

This process destroys the metabolic engine that keeps us healthy, fit, and mobile.

I'm watching my 40- to 50-year-old peers deteriorate from their unhealthy lifestyles of the last three decades... adding more weight... losing more muscle... losing their ability to thrive and enjoy life.

Without lifting weights, eating better, and moving more... No pill will ever reverse their current path in life!

Meanwhile, I lift 4/days a week, do cardio 2/days a week, and seek out active outlets. My weight is equivalent to my fittest days in college. (I'm 51). My waist size is the same. Life is GOOD!

Doing this, you will always feel better and be healthier long term than doing Ozympic.

That's all there is to it.
BallerStaf2003
AG
This drug may save our health care system.
Aggies1322
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

No chance of that being true.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Baller is somewhat prone to hyperbole.
C@LAg
Simpsons South Park did it.

May 24th.

TheEternalOptimist
C@LAg said:

Simpsons South Park did it.

May 24th.

It is indeed funny.... but finding the means to help people not be obese/overweight is a good thing IMHO.

I have battled the bulge myself. I just keep going to the wrong Dr........ Dr. Pepper.
G Martin 87
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

See the column I posted earlier. Using this drug to treat type 2 diabetes is cost effective. Using it to "treat" obesity is unsustainable at the current price. It will cause skyrocketing premiums if insurance companies are forced to cover it for weight loss. Pharmacy costs are fast becoming the most expensive component of our healthcare system.
Stonegateag85
My worst nightmare. I've quit with most overhead lifts and benching (40 here). It's awful, you hit a certain age and all those ligaments and tendons turn into old rubber bands.
Teslag
AG
G Martin 87 said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

See the column I posted earlier. Using this drug to treat type 2 diabetes is cost effective. Using it to "treat" obesity is unsustainable at the current price. It will cause skyrocketing premiums if insurance companies are forced to cover it for weight loss. Pharmacy costs are fast becoming the most expensive component of our healthcare system.

There will eventually be a generic version
YouBet
AG
Stonegateag85 said:

My worst nightmare. I've quit with most overhead lifts and benching (40 here). It's awful, you hit a certain age and all those ligaments and tendons turn into old rubber bands.
Yeah, overhead stuff is not remotely in my regime anymore nor is bench. Simply not worth it. I'll do pushups and some light cable press and flys but that's about it. My chest sucks right now. Maddening because I went from close to athlete level body fat and physique to middle aged man bod pretty rapidly because of this crap.

Once you get a frozen shoulder it completely changes your focus and outlook on how you exercise. And I've had both of them go through it!!

Jeeper79
AG
G Martin 87 said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Whats the cost of treatment for these weight induced diseases? Whats the cost of emergency care for heart attacks and strokes? What's the cost of long term care for someone disabled after a stroke or dementia? The cost of bypass surgery or cancer treatment? These are things that this drug can help prevent.
MouthBQ98
AG
If it can be used to reset people into a healthier lifestyle then it may pay out. It it allows them to keep wrecking themselves but in a concealed fashion, it may just rot them away by different means.

Losing weight without adding a better dietary habit and some exercise to rebuild muscle, strengthen bones, and improve the cardio system might not help much.
No Spin Ag
Teslag said:

G Martin 87 said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

And there'll eventually be less restrictions for who can get a prescription for it. Then there'll be people lining up to see their doctor for a prescription.

For the health industry and Big Pharma, it'll be like Christmas every day.
G Martin 87
AG
Jeeper79 said:

G Martin 87 said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Whats the cost of treatment for these weight induced diseases? Whats the cost of emergency care for heart attacks and strokes? What's the cost of long term care for someone disabled after a stroke or dementia? The cost of bypass surgery or cancer treatment? These are things that this drug can help prevent.
See the column I posted above. GLP-1s are designed to treat type 2 diabetes; they aren't designed to treat heart disease, hypertension, dementia, cancer, or prevent strokes. Weight loss is a useful side effect. Obesity is a risk factor for many chronic diseases, but it is not the only one, nor always the most dangerous.
G Martin 87
AG
No Spin Ag said:

Teslag said:

G Martin 87 said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

And there'll eventually be less restrictions for who can get a prescription for it. Then there'll be people lining up to see their doctor for a prescription.

For Big Pharma, it'll be like Christmas every day.
FIFY. For the health industry, it will be one more nail in the coffin. These things are not free. The money to pay Big Pharma has to come from somewhere.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Harry Stone said:

Teslag said:

Was yours covered by insurance?

You dont need insurance if you call my family's pharmacy and get the compounded generic semaglutide or tirzepatide. Most strengths are under $200 until you get to the higher strengths and even then theyre still much cheaper than getting wegovy and moujaro, especially because i will give an aggie discount.

This is what I did. My sister is a physician and knows a pharmacist who was compounding semaglutide.
cecil77
AG
Quote:

At 50, I no longer lift heavy because I would just injure myself. I stick to body weight exercises with some cable work and mostly eat a modified paleo diet prescribed by my Functional Doctor.

Try water workouts. It can be as intensely muscle building as you want, but much safer on the joints with the buoyancy of the water.

Second time to post this link, so sorry for the repeat. But this gear is used by hard core athletes.

https://hydrorevolution.com/

short video: https://hydrorevolution.com/pages/ben-bruno
YouBet
AG
We do have a good pool for this. I'll check it out.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
techno-ag said:

The gut has been called the second brain. Good eating is tied to mood and mental health. We should all strive to avoid sugar and processed foods.
sugar, processed foods, and seed oils. The three hallmarks of crappy American food. Hell, even processed "junk" food from Europe is made from real ingredients instead of seed oils and preservatives like in the U.S.

Definitely a contributor to our wildly unhealthy population.
Tanya 93
No Spin Ag said:

Teslag said:

G Martin 87 said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

For the health industry and Big Pharma, it'll be like Christmas every day.

Fewer
LMCane
since this is a politics board- it will be interesting how this affects American politics

there will not be a fat politician in the future, as most of the politicians are simply people who were not attractive enough to be on TV as actors or News anchors.

what happens if Chris Christie was not 350 pounds in 2016?

what happens if Ted Cruz was slim with abs like Barack Obama?

Mike Pompeo has likely been on a GLP-1 the last year and has lost a lot of weight.

I'm surprised Trump is still so fat when he would be clamoring for it- must be his doctors see underlying risk to his heart else for sure a guy with that ego would have been taking Ozempic a year ago.

in the near future every candidate will look like Willard Mitt Romney and Katie Britt. does that help the GOP or the left more?

rwtxag83
AG
Wife is diabetic and has been on Ozempic for about a year. She didn't ask for it, Doctor just prescribed it. Lost a little over 40 pounds. She's not nearly as hungry as she used to be. She's happy, and has started a new exercise regimen to tone and feel better overall. It's been a benefit as far as I'm concerned.
Greater love hath no man than this....
Nanomachines son
YouBet said:

Stonegateag85 said:

Yeah, overhead stuff is not remotely in my regime anymore nor is bench. Simply not worth it. I'll do pushups and some light cable press and flys but that's about it. My chest sucks right now. Maddening because I went from close to athlete level body fat and physique to middle aged man bod pretty rapidly because of this crap.

Once you get a frozen shoulder it completely changes your focus and outlook on how you exercise. And I've had both of them go through it!!

Face pulls are your best friend for shoulder issues. Nothing comes close to them. They invoke full range of motion for the shoulder with rotation. I do these every day I do upper body. They got rid of all shoulder pain I had. At 41 I have no issues anymore and can lift heavy just fine.

Here is a video of the proper form.

KidDoc
AG
LMCane said:

since this is a politics board- it will be interesting how this affects American politics

there will not be a fat politician in the future, as most of the politicians are simply people who were not attractive enough to be on TV as actors or News anchors.

what happens if Chris Christie was not 350 pounds in 2016?

what happens if Ted Cruz was slim with abs like Barack Obama?

Mike Pompeo has likely been on a GLP-1 the last year and has lost a lot of weight.

I'm surprised Trump is still so fat when he would be clamoring for it- must be his doctors see underlying risk to his heart else for sure a guy with that ego would have been taking Ozempic a year ago.

in the near future every candidate will look like Willard Mitt Romney and Katie Britt. does that help the GOP or the left more?

Yes I'm surprised Trump isn't on it. It doesn't have any cardiac contraindications just if you have a family history of some genetic thyroid cancers.

There will absolutely be two tiers of Americans in the near future. The morbidly obese poor and the wealthy that can afford healthy food and/or meds. And our tax dollars will continue to fund the creation and treatment of the poor morbidly obese.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.