1 in 8 Americans are now on Ozempic or other GLP1 meds

33,382 Views | 383 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by No Spin Ag
Texas velvet maestro
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm a lazy fat slob but for this pill. winning.
Aggies1322
AG
techno-ag said:

Cutting carbs and some judicious intermittent fasting will do most of what these drugs can do.

But, the vast majority of people do not have the willpower to do either. Thus the drugs.

Literally this.. intermittent fasting is pretty powerful. Just stop eating 1,000 cals and 80 carbs at 8am every morning. I bet you'll start losing weight.
RK
AG
Quote:

I'm a lazy fat slob but for this pill.
the former and the later are both choices. ask me how i know.
Nanomachines son
fooz said:

I take the compound with TRT. Lost weight but not gainzz.

I imagine this is already a major part of cutting routines for bodybuilders.

Honestly though, I don't see how you could take this and not lose gains. It doesn't discriminate between fat and muscle and that's a problem.
techno-ag
AG
Aggies1322 said:

techno-ag said:

Cutting carbs and some judicious intermittent fasting will do most of what these drugs can do.

But, the vast majority of people do not have the willpower to do either. Thus the drugs.

Literally this.. intermittent fasting is pretty powerful. Just stop eating 1,000 cals and 80 carbs at 8am every morning. I bet you'll start losing weight.
Absolutely. Most carbs come from sugar and processed white flour. Just eliminating those two from your diet goes a long way. But most just can't.

And personally I try to do a six hour eating window every day, which is not extreme at all. It's usually just skipping breakfast and eating an early supper.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
The majority of people are going to take this, lose a bunch of weight, get off, and then gain it all back. Because they're incapable of holding themselves accountable for being obese in the first place and lack the capability to change their lifestyles to get in shape on their own. Once the medicine stops and they've had to make zero modifications to the behaviors that got them there in the first place, they're back to square one.

Eat better, exercise better, sleep better, and drink less.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Bodybuilders have been abusing all sorts of things, including diabetes drugs, for quite some time.
Nanomachines son
Madman said:

Apparently "Ozempic Face" is a real problem and somebody will come up with a procedure or drug for that.

The problem is that it causes people to lose muscle mass everywhere so their face gets hollowed out.

These people don't keep their protein intake up and don't lift either. Since most of these people have low testosterone, they are screwed and end up looking like zombies.
Aggies1322
AG
techno-ag said:

Aggies1322 said:

techno-ag said:

Absolutely. Most carbs come from sugar and processed white flour. Just eliminating those two from your diet goes a long way. But most just can't.

And personally I try to do a six hour eating window every day, which is not extreme at all. It's usually just skipping breakfast and eating an early supper.

Yup - I do a 4 hour eating window most days. I just cut breakfast and lunch and eat dinner.
Nanomachines son
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Bodybuilders have been abusing all sorts of things, including diabetes drugs, for quite some time.

I know.
Madman
AG
Nanomachines son said:

Madman said:

Apparently "Ozempic Face" is a real problem and somebody will come up with a procedure or drug for that.

The problem is that it causes people to lose muscle mass everywhere so their face gets hollowed out.

These people don't keep their protein intake up and don't lift either. Since most of these people have low testosterone, they are screwed and end up looking like zombies.
That sounds logical.

Especially for the women and celebs.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Including for cutting, which is what you asked
vansprinkle
AG
cecil77 said:

One thing not discussed on this thread is genetics. There's a range of base metabolic rates - some people just need fewer calories. If you think about it, they are genetically superior - they didn't have to kill as many bears or scrounge as much vegetal matter to survive.

The issue is that society has a "normal" amount of calories to consume daily, and that is set to high for almost everyone. Think about what we see on TV, print ads, bill boards, etc - food, food, food. Even "three meals a day" is ridiculous, most adults don't need that. Couple in how much of our societal interactions are predicated upon consuming calories <cough>alcohol</cough>.

It's a tough thing, and most of those tilting their noses at those with "no discipline" are genetically lucky with higher metabolic rates.

That being said, there are plenty of fatties who far, far, far exceed their needed calories each dat.

I have a neighbor that has to eat a ton to keep weight on. He works out daily and has gotten up to 240 lbs at one point, but was drinking 3-4 protein shakes a day and just eating and lifting a ton. He stays around 200 lbs but has to really work on eating to keep his weight up. On weekends he will lose weight as he gets off his routine.

I'm am the polar opposite of him in that I have to count macros to eat minimal calories during the week, in which Friday is usually my lightest day of the week. In the weekend I cut loose and will gain it all back. It's nothing for my body to have a 5-7 lbs difference between Monday morning and Friday morning.
Nanomachines son
Madman said:

Nanomachines son said:

Madman said:

That sounds logical.

One thing that isn't discussed a lot is that birth control crashes female testosterone so when you take this drug as a woman, you'll lose muscle mass very fast if you are also taking birth control.
El Gallo Blanco
Can someone even consume enough natural protein on this stuff to stay muscular in the long run? I was under the impression that you just can't eat much on it. Assuming bodybuilders just use it short term to cut weight fast and get shredded?

I have seen the hollowed out face look from 1-2 guys I know who are on it. Almost an "I am 1 year into the apocalypse but hangin on" look. I would think consuming as much fatty red meat and veggies as their new stomach/intestines, and hitting weights, would help mitigate some of that?
techno-ag
AG
Nanomachines son said:

Madman said:

Nanomachines son said:

Madman said:

That sounds logical.

One thing that isn't discussed a lot is that birth control crashes female testosterone so when you take this drug as a woman, you'll lose muscle mass very fast if you are also taking birth control.
Women need to switch to non-hormonal copper ring IUDs if they can. It's a game changer. Doesn't work if they've already had kids, though.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

Nanomachines son
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Including for cutting, which is what you asked

I know all about how the cycles work, I've done a few myself. Never anything this severe but many dabbled with DNP, which is the greatest weight loss drug ever invented (increases metabolism by 50%, but it WILL kill you if you overdose even a slight amount).

The things these guys take and do are often insane. They make combat sports cutting look sane.
Nanomachines son
techno-ag said:

Nanomachines son said:

Madman said:

Nanomachines son said:

Madman said:

That sounds logical.

Women need to switch to non-hormonal copper ring IUDs if they can. It's a game changer. Doesn't work if they've already had kids, though.

It doesn't work if they have had kids? Really? I wonder why.
Jeeper79
AG
Madman said:

MouthBQ98 said:

I think it is the caloric density. A very small amount will contain a lot of calories the body will digest and add to body fat if they aren't metabolized. I think it is just that a little goes a long way, but food today contains a LOT of it.

It would seem something not metabolized would not end up as fat or anything else for that matter.

I saw a few meme type posts claiming seed oils were bad because they were originally made to be an industrial lubricant. Which might be true, but doesn't tell me much about the health impact.

Just because I might be able to lube a door hinge with a seed oil doesn't mean it's bad to also eat. Strange yes, but not necessarily bad.
Yeah I don't get those arguments either. It's an "appeal to nature" fallacy. If there are valid reasons not to ingest it, go with those.

When they use an argument like industrial lubricant, it suggests to me that they are either trying to scare people into not thinking critically or they themselves are not capable of critical thought (or both).
techno-ag
AG
Nanomachines son said:

techno-ag said:

Nanomachines son said:

Madman said:

Nanomachines son said:

Madman said:

That sounds logical.

It doesn't work if they have had kids? Really? I wonder why.
Its an IUD blocking sperm which die when exposed to copper. After kids their uterus has stretched out too much for the IUD, from what I understand.

/derail
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

WestAustinAg
AG
This set of drugs is also reducing alcoholism. People on the drugs are less interested in heavy drinking. So another benefit.
frenchtoast
Daily exercise and portion control have been the best habits I have developed to stay at a healthy weight. Getting rid of my car and walking or riding my bike for regular errands has also helped quite a bit. We need to make drastic changes in how our society operates in order to battle the obesity epidemic.
YouBet
AG
I don't know that I care about this but I'm definitely sitting out any new drugs going forward unless I'm on my deathbed. I'll combat this one the old fashioned way.
LMCane
Tramp96 said:

But is it sustainable?

Even if there are no long-term side effects (and you know there will be), is this a sustainable approach to weight loss?

probably the AI androids kill off humanity

before a lifetime addiction to GLP-1s kills off humanity
HarleySpoon
AG
Logos Stick said:

Rip*91 said:

Good. People are trying to lose weight and take better care of themselves.

The jury is still out on taking better care of themselves.

These drugs paralyze the smooth intestinal muscles which causes atrophy. Could have severe negative long term effects if taken long enough.

The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
God forbid anyone have to work hard to stay healthy.

There's cases I'd consider the use of this valid. Laziness is not one of them. Fine with people spending their own money on this, and it's good to get physically healthy, but there's something to be said about the huge amounts of people trying to avoid actually facing this dragon.
LMCane
ttha_aggie_09 said:

The majority of people are going to take this, lose a bunch of weight, get off, and then gain it all back. Because they're incapable of holding themselves accountable for being obese in the first place and lack the capability to change their lifestyles to get in shape on their own. Once the medicine stops and they've had to make zero modifications to the behaviors that got them there in the first place, they're back to square one.

Eat better, exercise better, sleep better, and drink less.
what makes you think they will ever STOP taking the shots/pills?!

everyone knows that you have to keep doing it for the rest of your life to keep the weight off.
Teslag
AG
YouBet said:

I don't know that I care about this but I'm definitely sitting out any new drugs going forward unless I'm on my deathbed. I'll combat this one the old fashioned way.

This drug has been around for almost 20 years
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Because eventually their insurance will stop funding and/or the out of pocket expense could be a deterrent for some folks. Unless the government takes over to absolve everyone from the consequences of their poor choices, just like with everything else they do…
cecil77
AG
Again, it's NOT one size fits all! All of these "people just need to..." comments aren't accurate all the time.

Is your base metabolic rate 2400 calories per day? 1800 calories per day? 3800 calories per day?

Without know that, you don't know what "someone needs to do".
ttha_aggie_09
AG
If your base metabolic rate is 1800 calories, any calories in excess of that and more than those you burn through activity, will lead to weight gain.

That doesn't matter if it is 1800, 2400, or 3600… it's a calories burned vs calories consumed. You control what you put in your mouth and you also control how many calories you burn in a day, outside of your metabolic rate. Although, your metabolic rate is based on muscle composition too and if you have more muscles, you burn more calories.

Live your life how you see fit but let's call a spade a spade, if you're morbidly obese, genetics has nothing to do with it… it is entirely self inflicted.
Aggies1322
AG
cecil77 said:

Again, it's NOT one size fits all! All of these "people just need to..." comments aren't accurate all the time.

Is your base metabolic rate 2400 calories per day? 1800 calories per day? 3800 calories per day?

Wouldn't matter either way.. whether your body burns more or less calories, you will lose weight by intermittent fasting and eating less calories than you burn. So yes, one size does fit all.
cecil77
AG
"fewer" calories.

If your body burns more calories you may not need to lessen intake, but increase burning.

If your body burns fewer the intermittent fasting (all the rage now, I know) may not do much at all. And it's not that new, that old grandmother's mantra was "breakfast is gold, lunch is silver, supper is lead" (ignoring the fact that lead is lighter than the other two you get the intent.
One of the most insulting phrases in the world is "what you need to do is...". How on earth does any human know what another human "needs" to do. You may know what works for you, you may know what you might suggest another person try that might work for them., etc. But "need". Nope.

And even then it's calories digested minus calories metabolized. Nothing else is germane. All the other stuff are just aids to increase one side or decrease the other.
AggieVictor10
AG
Rip*91 said:

Good. People are trying to lose weight and take better care of themselves.

Yea but they're cheating. They should be shamed and belittled.
hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. good times create weak men. and weak men create hard times.

less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real
Lol,lmao
Fjb
slaughtr
AG
Aggies1322 said:

cecil77 said:

Wouldn't matter either way.. whether your body burns more or less calories, you will lose weight by intermittent fasting and eating less calories than you burn. So yes, one size does fit all.

All?
I'm an insulin dependent diabetic on an insulin pump. How, exactly, am I supposed to fast?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.