1 in 8 Americans are now on Ozempic or other GLP1 meds

33,400 Views | 383 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by No Spin Ag
BCG Disciple
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need more than 6% on it.

Will do wonders for our hospitals, food consumption and economic output as a whole.
TexAgs91
AG
I thought that stuff was expensive?
Fight! Fight! Fight!
evan_aggie
AG
I've been taking it "recreationally" in extremely low doses. I was definitely not "obese" at 186-188, but helped me get the extra 15-18 lbs off without feeling like I had to starve myself.

One of the doctors that my wife had gone to in the past started a weight loss offering and is absolutely raking in the cash. Had to hire 4-5 nurses just to run that arm of his business. I think he does $5M to $8M a year just in that biz.
Rapier108
vansprinkle said:

Let's hope there are no negative consequences to taking these drugs.
"If you took Wegovy and suffered any of these injures (insert list here), you may have a claim for a substantial compensation. Call us today at 1-800-Lawsuit to see if you qualify."
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
RK
AG
TexAgs91 said:

if you can't get insurance to cover it, it is.
agdoc2001
AG
Tramp96 said:

But is it sustainable?

Even if there are no long-term side effects (and you know there will be), is this a sustainable approach to weight loss?

It isn't. Weight returns after discontinuing the drugs since the person has never been forced to make any lifestyle modifications. This is just the latest search for a miracle pill rather than exhibiting a modicum of self control.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jeeper79
AG
infinity ag said:

I don't take any medicines. I don't even get flu shots. And I am fine.
Maybe at some point I will but I don't now. It is all a scam to keep money flowing.
Translation:

"My sample size of one bucks the trend of millions so the millions must be wrong."
LMCane
vansprinkle said:

I'm glad people are trying to lose weight, for once. It's impossible to continuously out workout your diet. Even triathletes can get pudgy. Diet is 80% of the issue and it appears these drugs do a great job of getting people's diets in check.

Maybe if these do end up being miracle drugs our health insurance rates will go down as all the fatties get lean.

Edit: And this is coming from a guy that has to keep his diet in check and has been counting macros for years.

how much does it cost to pay everyone to be on Ozempic versus everyone to be on diabetes drugs?

why should I as a taxpayer have to pay for other people's fat loss pills once it is covered by UNH?
BCG Disciple
AG
TexAgs91 said:

If you have insurance, it isn't.

If not, you can get it at a compounding pharmacy for between $100-150/mo. You can potentially save that in food alone.
Jeeper79
AG
AggielandPoultry said:

Everyone I have seen using these drugs lose weight but look like total S#!t. Probably because they are just being starved in a way. Am I mistaken that you have to continue treatment for life?
Well it's not that you become dependent on the drug. It's that it only works as long as you're taking it. If you get off it and eat poorly again, your weight goes back up. If you get off it and can eat healthy without it, you stay slim.

As for looking poor, that's just a result of the weight loss. A big part of it is saggy skin. Strength training could probably help with this, but not everyone is going to do it.
aggiepanic95
AG
These meds and drug tests should be a mandatory requirement if you're on food stamps.
Jeeper79
AG
fixer said:

I prefer discipline and mental resilience over a wonder drug.
Its basically addiction for a lot of people.
infinity ag
Sweep4-2 said:

Same. I still think choosing what food goes into the body is far better than choosing what drug to consume, even if it's a miracle srug.

But that's not a popular opinion (and I respect that others feel differently and have achieved the same outcome weight-wise with a different approach).

Exactly... and from Jan 1 I have stopped drinking soda (I love coke) and ice cream. I lost 10 pounds just by doing that and some light gym work. People tend to look for miracle drugs instead of simple self-control.
Jeeper79
AG
LMCane said:

vansprinkle said:

I'm glad people are trying to lose weight, for once. It's impossible to continuously out workout your diet. Even triathletes can get pudgy. Diet is 80% of the issue and it appears these drugs do a great job of getting people's diets in check.

Maybe if these do end up being miracle drugs our health insurance rates will go down as all the fatties get lean.

Edit: And this is coming from a guy that has to keep his diet in check and has been counting macros for years.

how much does it cost to pay everyone to be on Ozempic versus everyone to be on diabetes drugs?

why should I as a taxpayer have to pay for other people's fat loss pills once it is covered by UNH?
Diabetes, heart disease, stroke, dementia, auto immune disorders… all related to obesity.
MouthBQ98
AG
I am generally for it if it will save in long term health care costs for taxpayers and on insurance rates.

We have far too much obesity in our population and the long term costs really are massive. I know it isn't the most mentally healthy or self disciplined way for people to lose weight but maybe it gets done of them to "reset" what they normally eat in their habits. We can't go on with these huge numbers of land manatees sucking away all our healthcare resources.
LMCane
what are the best investment opportunities here to take advantage of an entire nation of fatties clamoring for taking a pill to lose weight?

Eli Lilly
Novartis
Novo Nordisk

what else?
Madman
AG
Maybe a follow on effect will be boosted sales for clothing companies as formerly fat people decide to by better looking clothes that fit their now better looking bodies?

Or Walmart will just sell a few tons of smaller tsip shirts and ill fitting cargo shorts.

Edit,

As I was typing my first pass at this I didn't know the comment above mine would be a question that my post would look like a response to. This is unrelated to the above but still seems to fit.
Madman
AG
LMCane said:

what are the best investment opportunities here to take advantage of an entire nation of fatties clamoring for taking a pill to lose weight?

Eli Lilly
Novartis
Novo Nordisk

what else?
Maybe the airlines can turn a profit now?
evan_aggie
Madman
AG
Apparently "Ozempic Face" is a real problem and somebody will come up with a procedure or drug for that.
EclipseAg
AG
It's a little early still, but if Ozempic and other similar drugs can be proven to have minimal side effects for most patients, they will have a dramatic positive impact on society.

We should be encouraging their use.
Thunderstruck xx
The "throw medication at everything" solution by doctors today is so bad that when I visit any doctor and tell them I'm not on any medications, most of them look surprised.
Teslag
AG
Madman said:

Apparently "Ozempic Face" is a real problem and somebody will come up with a procedure or drug for that.

I think a lot of them get Botox now for that
agdoc2001
AG
Jeeper79 said:

fixer said:

I prefer discipline and mental resilience over a wonder drug.
Its basically addiction for a lot of people.
Never their fault, is it? Liberal infantilization strikes again.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
redcrayon
AG
Teslag said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/13/health/wegovy-trial-analysis/index.html

Quote:

More than 25,000 people in the US are starting Wegovy every week, drugmaker Novo Nordisk said this month. And in a KFF poll released Friday, 6% of respondents said they were currently using a drug in this class, known as GLP-1 receptor agonists. That translates to more than 15 million Americans.

Why are you surprised? You took it.
BassCowboy33
Tramp96 said:

But is it sustainable?

Even if there are no long-term side effects (and you know there will be), is this a sustainable approach to weight loss?

Studies have shown that people gain the weight back upon stopping the drug. It's basically a "forever" drug. The long-term effects of paralyzing your internal organs isn't known at this time.

There is also the "Ozempic face" phenomenon, where people turn into skeletons. This is because Ozempic eats muscle at a much greater rate than normal weight loss. Significant training is needed to counteract this, but most people taking these drugs are trying to find a way to lose weight with the least amount of work possible.
Teslag
AG
I took it illegally. I think a lot of people are now on legit rx now.
MouthBQ98
AG
I'm with you there. I am on zero meds. Have been for a decade. In my late 40's I find that is almost unheard of, strangely. That should generally be the norm, and it could be if people made harder but better choices. But I have been on both sides of it. But once had to take cholesterol meds when I ate terribly and was overweight myself. It's easy to fall into that abyss of self indulgence and very hard to climb back out of.
Teslag
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Tramp96 said:

But is it sustainable?

Studies have shown that people gain the weight back upon stopping the drug. It's basically a "forever" drug. The long-term effects of paralyzing your internal organs isn't known at this time.

It was originally a diabetic drug so it was designed to be taken long term with minimal side effects
Madman
AG
Teslag said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Tramp96 said:

But is it sustainable?

It was originally a diabetic drug so it was designed to be taken long term with minimal side effects

Cuz its just that easy and drug companies are super honest about things like that.

cecil77
AG
When will I be able to order it online from Kazakhstan?
Cruiser87
AG
I've been back and forth on the diet rollercoaster for many years.

After my latest gain, with all the associated back pain and other issues, I'm finally on a true lifestyle change, as opposed to lose it then forget it gaining it all back.

I have a way to go, but I will get there before my son's ring day this fall if it's the only thing I do.

And as far as I'm concerned, the real problem is all the sugar (read high fructose corn syrup) in everything.

P.S. Before anyone asks, I do a combination of dumbbell weights and walking. I don't want to end up with a lot of loose skin, though I need to deal with "turkey neck."
schmellba99
AG
Sweep4-2 said:

Same. I still think choosing what food goes into the body is far better than choosing what drug to consume, even if it's a miracle srug.

But that's not a popular opinion (and I respect that others feel differently and have achieved the same outcome weight-wise with a different approach).
In a perfect world, that works.

But here's the deal - the older you get, your body changes how it operates. When I was 25 I had a metabolism that was awesome, could eat just about whatever and still go burn the calories without any issue with a normal (att he time) workout.

I'm pushing 50 now, my metabolism isn't anywhere near the same as it was. I would have to cut my intake down to next to nothing and continue to workout like I'm training for a triathalon to get anywhere close to burning what I used to be able to burn caloric wise 25-30 years ago. Combine that with the fact that as you age, your body functional systems age as well. Your endocrine system changes, your body changes how it manages itself and no amount of eating clean or working out will change that fact.

These drugs not only change your body's ability to digest food, but many of them work on your adrenal and endocrien systems as well and change how they function that better allows you to manage lower caloric intake and what not. Nothing is a pure miracle drug, but there is nothing wrong with recognizing that a little help here and there is not a bad thing, and anybody that has the "this is just cheating, you should just do better" mentality is pretty obtuse (not calling you out on that specifically).

The worst part is that most insurance companies fight approving these shots. But they will approve opiods and other crap in a heartbeat. It makes no sense.
Teslag
AG
Madman said:

Teslag said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Tramp96 said:

But is it sustainable?

Cuz its just that easy and drug companies are super honest about things like that.

You do realize there a significant number of drugs that are meant to be taken long term for many different ailments rightv
samurai_science
Teslag said:

Madman said:

Teslag said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Tramp96 said:

But is it sustainable?

You do realize there a significant number of drugs that are meant to be taken long term for many different ailments rightv
Cant wait for the recall

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.