1 in 8 Americans are now on Ozempic or other GLP1 meds

33,378 Views | 383 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by No Spin Ag
Burnsey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
vansprinkle said:

Let's hope there are no negative consequences to taking these drugs.

I'm glad people are trying to lose weight, for once. It's impossible to continuously out workout your diet. Even triathletes can get pudgy. Diet is 80% of the issue and it appears these drugs do a great job of getting people's diets in check.

Maybe if these do end up being miracle drugs our health insurance rates will go down as all the fatties get lean.

Edit: And this is coming from a guy that has to keep his diet in check and has been counting macros for years.
We're you this concerned about the dangers of the Covid shot?
vansprinkle
AG
Burnsey said:

vansprinkle said:

Let's hope there are no negative consequences to taking these drugs.

I'm glad people are trying to lose weight, for once. It's impossible to continuously out workout your diet. Even triathletes can get pudgy. Diet is 80% of the issue and it appears these drugs do a great job of getting people's diets in check.

Maybe if these do end up being miracle drugs our health insurance rates will go down as all the fatties get lean.

Edit: And this is coming from a guy that has to keep his diet in check and has been counting macros for years.
We're you this concerned about the dangers of the Covid shot?

I'd say I was more concerned about the Covid shot. My understanding is that these weight loss drugs have been around a while, so there has been some testing done. The Covid shot was/is very experimental and thrust upon us to shut down a virus that's about as bad as the flu.

FYI, I did not take the Covid shot, no one in my family took the Covid shot. We still don't trust the shot and never thought it was necessary, but did support those that were old or had health issues taking it if they thought it was right for them.

Now why the hell are you attacking me over a post I wrote weeks ago?
BudFox7
KidDoc said:

pfo said:

GLP-1 drugs have now been proven to:

Effortlessly lose up to 24% of total body mass
Materially reduce heart disease
Reduce NASH and MASH (fatty liver disease)
Reduce Type 2 diabetes
Reduce Alzheimer's/dementia 32% in 88,000 people
And now it's been found to reduce sleep apnea 51%

Yet there are still plenty of posters on this thread that think GLP-1's are a bad idea. That's amazing! "You can't fix stupid"!
I disagree. I get how people who have never struggled with obesity or weight related disease can wave this off as the next fad and quick fix. There is no denying the overwhelming efficacy and power of these incredible (and incredibly overpriced) medications. Absolutely society changing once they can be used by those who really need them as opposed to celebrities trying to get to ideal BMI.

It is very frustrating to see what other countries pay for the same drug that is $1300 a month here. I'm all for free market and pharma making their $$$ by inventing new treatments, but this is straight up price gouging. And I'm fairly heavily financially invested in Lilly & Novo!

The Price of Ozempic, Wegovy Can Be 400% Higher in the U.S. (healthline.com)

Could get semaglutide from peptide sources before ozempic mooned for very cheap.
Aggie4Life02
AG
Ozempic is poison and should be avoided at all costs.
IIIHorn

Ironically,

The song playing is the background is so nauseating that the medicine is unnecessary.

Rattler12
They Mfg 's of Ozempic should set up a booth at the filming of the show Family Feud ......they'd make a fortune....
KidDoc
AG
Rattler12 said:

They Mfg 's of Ozempic should set up a booth at the filming of the show Family Feud ......they'd make a fortune....
We have nearly 100 years of data showing that doctors advising lifestyle intervention is completely ineffective for obesity management. Of course there are individuals who decide to completely change their lives and can conquer obesity but the cure rate is roughly 4%. In obese children INTENSIVE intervention, which is defined as 26 hours of one on one, group counselling, and observed exercise per year has showing a very small percentage in BMI.

I have no idea where I can order insurance to cover that type of intensive program for obese families, especially in rural Texas with medicaid children.

The GLP-1's show amazing efficacy especially when paired with nutrition and lifestyle changes. They are far from perfect and can have severe side effects if not managed properly but they have potential to be society changing.

What really needs to be fixed is our broken food industry that is primarily driven into making highly processed high salt/cal/fat foods that get kids addicted at a young age and basically nukes their metabolism and hunger perception from a VERY young age. We need a full restructuring of the stupid food pyramid and more tax/expense on unhealthy foods to try and motivate families to eat fresh instead of drive thru.

Interventions for Children and Adolescents With High Body Mass IndexImplementing the Recommendations in Clinical Practice | Lifestyle Behaviors | JAMA Network Open | JAMA Network

Quote:

Twenty-six contact hours of ILT equates to weekly, 1-hour sessions for 6 months.6 The evidence supports that, in general, the more contact hours, the better the weight outcomes. While ILT with at least 26 contact hours is associated with significant improvement in BMI (mean BMI difference,0.8; 95% CI, 1.2 to 0.4), interventions with at least 52 contact hours are associated with a stronger and more consistent BMI reduction (mean BMI difference, 2.0; 95% CI, 4.0 to 0.1).4,5 Identification of the necessary dose to improve outcomes is tremendously helpful in setting the bar for clinicians and families. However, this number can also be disheartening, given the limited capacity of staff, resources, and funding in clinical programs. How can health care practitioners supplement clinical care to meet this 26-hour threshold?

a -0.8 change in BMI with 26-52 hours of intervention is just brutal

eta: oops replied to wrong post sorry!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgGrad99
AG

question about these.....

These work while you're taking them, but you rebound and put back on the weight when you're off, correct?

If that's the case, this just seems like such a useless band aid, because people aren't going to stay on these the rest of their lives. So aren't we just temporarily making people feel better, but not solving the actual problem?

What am I missing?
Sea Speed
AG
KidDoc said:

pfo said:

Reduce Type 2 diabetes

Yet there are still plenty of posters on this thread that think GLP-1's are a bad idea. That's amazing! "You can't fix stupid"!
I disagree. I get how people who have never struggled with obesity or weight related disease can wave this off as the next fad and quick fix. There is no denying the overwhelming efficacy and power of these incredible (and incredibly overpriced) medications. Absolutely society changing once they can be used by those who really need them as opposed to celebrities trying to get to ideal BMI.

It is very frustrating to see what other countries pay for the same drug that is $1300 a month here. I'm all for free market and pharma making their $$$ by inventing new treatments, but this is straight up price gouging. And I'm fairly heavily financially invested in Lilly & Novo!

Can you buy these things off the shelf in other countries like Mexico or Brazil?
KidDoc
AG
AgGrad99 said:

These work while you're taking them, but you rebound and put back on the weight when you're off, correct?

If that's the case, this just seems like such a useless band aid, because people aren't going to stay on these the rest of their lives. So aren't we just temporarily making people feel better, but not solving the actual problem?

What am I missing?
Rebound varies on other factors - mostly diet & exercise which is not a surprise. Pharma wants people on them forever of course ($$$). Most docs are hopeful they can be used to get the lbs off then people can try to maintain without meds. It is much easier to maintain weight than it is to drop 30+ lbs.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Enviroag02
AG
I've just heard anecdotally that some users have "stomach paralysis" or gastroparesis
Logos Stick
I'm starting to run into people I know who have lost weight after many years of being overweight.

I suspect the number of users is much higher than OP.
Saxsoon
AG
Ozempic may radically change the economy in the long term considering medical and junk food.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
buzzardb267
AG
I just heard my grandson's wife is on this and she pays $ 500/month. Does that sound right, or is she hiding how much she is actually paying?
"ROGER - OUT"
LMCane
AgGrad99 said:

What am I missing?
you are missing the fact that people WILL stay on them their entire lives.
LMCane
Enviroag02 said:

I've just heard anecdotally that some users have "stomach paralysis" or gastroparesis
this is all over social media

Jillian Michaels destroys Ozempic

AggiePetro07
AG
I just changed my perceived beauty paradigm to include morbidly obese women.

Now you're telling me culture really doesn't think fat is beautiful?
techno-ag
AG
LMCane said:

Enviroag02 said:

Anything new faces antagonists. Eventually the adoption curve grows though. Think cell phones, personal computers, etc.

Eventually anyone who is fat will have easy access to these drugs. They won't cost an arm and a leg and many will bounce on and off them as needed like yo-yo dieters.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

KidDoc
AG
LMCane said:

Enviroag02 said:

I think she had a surprisingly reasonable take on the drugs, I expected more fear mongering.

Like any drug there are potential issues and they should be supervised by a physician with appropriate training. I don't have access to the details of each gastroparesis case but I can almost guarantee you the dose was too high or increased too quickly.

The not enjoying food is a real problem on these medications. They are so remarkably effective at blunting appetite that many people will want to get off them ASAP particularly as they drop out of the severe obesity range.

The muscle loss is predictable and avoidable. You are suddenly and aggressively decreasing caloric intake. Your body goes into panic mode and starts to metabolize fat and muscle to maintain glucose homeostasis. Anyone on these really needs to be on a HIGH protein (and high fiber) diet and doing resistance training to preserve muscle mass.

As noted already these drugs are a direct threat to how Jillian has made a living so I can understand how she would not be a fan. I have seen the same response from bariatric surgeons and it is understandable.
No Spin Ag
buzzardb267 said:

I just heard my grandson's wife is on this and she pays $ 500/month. Does that sound right, or is she hiding how much she is actually paying?

That's pretty much on par with what I've seen in private doctors offices.

They, somehow, are able to sell the drug at a reduced price than what it'll be at the pharmacy. Or maybe they do a special kind of prescription to get it at that amount.

Regardless, that's a pretty low price.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
Rattler12
techno-ag said:

LMCane said:

Enviroag02 said:

Anything new faces antagonists. Eventually the adoption curve grows though. Think cell phones, personal computers, etc.

Eventually anyone who is fat will have easy access to these drugs. They won't cost an arm and a leg and many will bounce on and off them as needed like yo-yo dieters.
Except the marketing folks for big pharma are one step ahead in the game. I was recently diagnosed with Afib and put on Xarelto as a blood thinner. It's $573/m before insurance. I asked the heart doctor if there was a generic and he said not yet. He said the only other thinner was warfarin or the main ingredient in rat poison but he said I would have to get my blood checked regularly or it could be bad. I asked him if he thought it was interesting that before there were the drugs like Xarelto that for human consumption as a blood thinner the "warfarin" was called Coumadin .........much better press back then calling the rat poison Coumadin instead of warfarin but now that we have the expensive drugs like Xarelto, Coumadin the be all save all back when, is now called warfarin ie rat poison..... when the price of Xarelto and other expensive drugs go down because of generics coming out you can bet that big pharma will come out with a new "miracle drug" at a high price and generic for Xarelto will become the new rat poison..........

on a side note I spent 2 days in the hospital back in April with the onset and diagnosis of said Afib. The doc put me on a statin while in there. Each pill I took (2 a day) was billed @ $19 each. A supply of 180 at HEB was $10 after insurance.
KidDoc
AG
No Spin Ag said:

buzzardb267 said:

They, somehow, are able to sell the drug at a reduced price than what it'll be at the pharmacy. Or maybe they do a special kind of prescription to get it at that amount.

They get the pill form, smash it up and suspend it in injectable form. It is a bit more work for the patient as there is no autoinjector but still pretty simple.

Safe as long as the pharmacy doesn't mess up and is reputable. I've seen it down to $200/month cash from some compounding places.
slaughtr
AG
buzzardb267 said:

It's easy to pay way less than that.
No Spin Ag
KidDoc said:

No Spin Ag said:

buzzardb267 said:

They get the pill form, smash it up and suspend it in injectable form. It is a bit more work for the patient as there is no autoinjector but still pretty simple.

Safe as long as the pharmacy doesn't mess up and is reputable. I've seen it down to $200/month cash from some compounding places.

Damn, that's really cheap.

I can see why more people are on it now. It's actually affordable to those with even just a little bit of extra money at the end of each month.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
fc2112
$25 a month with my insurance.

Booyah
KidDoc
AG
No Spin Ag said:

KidDoc said:

No Spin Ag said:

buzzardb267 said:

I can see why more people are on it now. It's actually affordable to those with even just a little bit of extra money at the end of each month.
Plus you eat essentially half portions. This leads to a LOT of left over food especially if you go out to eat. The portion sizes in USA are insane at restaurants. I would venture to say that most obese americans will save $200 in food cost on these medications a month.
Gilligan
AG
You can see it on their face…
texagbeliever
I'll call it now, in 5-10 years people will see that Ozempic = Cigarettes.
Kills appetite. Lose the taste of food. Nasty side effects no one could see coming (sarcasm).

Also people will be Ozempic non-fat. Their health will be terrible compared to healthy individuals who aren't overweight because they have proper diets. (don't eat the food that we feed to cows/pigs/chickens to get fat is a start).
Rattler12
KidDoc said:

No Spin Ag said:

KidDoc said:

No Spin Ag said:

buzzardb267 said:

Plus you eat essentially half portions. This leads to a LOT of left over food especially if you go out to eat. The portion sizes in USA are insane at restaurants. I would venture to say that most obese americans will save $200 in food cost on these medications a month.
Eat half portions without the Ozempic and save $750/mth
slaughtr
AG
Rattler12 said:

KidDoc said:

No Spin Ag said:

KidDoc said:

No Spin Ag said:

buzzardb267 said:

Eat half portions without the Ozempic and save $750/mth
It's very easy to get compounded GPl-1 medicines for about $125-$150 per month.
JayHowdy!
slaughtr said:

It's very easy to get compounded GPl-1 medicines for about $125-$150 per month.

Where? I have seen rates $300-$450, but never that low.
KidDoc
AG
texagbeliever said:

I'll call it now, in 5-10 years people will see that Ozempic = Cigarettes.
Kills appetite. Lose the taste of food. Nasty side effects no one could see coming (sarcasm).

Also people will be Ozempic non-fat. Their health will be terrible compared to healthy individuals who aren't overweight because they have proper diets. (don't eat the food that we feed to cows/pigs/chickens to get fat is a start).
GLP-1's have been used for 20 years, just not for weight loss.

They will not be like cigs, however I do think the chronic poor oral intake and caloric deficiency may cause some vitamin deficiencies and bone density issues over time if people don't pay attention to their micros as well as macros.
agracer
AG
KidDoc said:

pfo said:

Reduce Type 2 diabetes

It's only price gouging because we get to pay for the gov. mandated drug costs in the EU.

Just like we get to pay for healthcare for illegals and people who skip on their bill. That "Facility Charge" at the hospital isn't there because that's what it really costs for you to walk in the ER for 2-hours. It's there for the person next to you who will walk out and not pay anything.
No Spin Ag
KidDoc said:

No Spin Ag said:

KidDoc said:

No Spin Ag said:

buzzardb267 said:

I agree. I've been able to lose over sixty pounds in eight months because I just ate half of what I used to and cut out all white carbs and my grocery bill is about 50% less than what it used to be.

I know many on Ozempic need help with doing that, and for them, I'm glad the medicine is available. I've lost over a hundred pounds just by changing how and what I eat and I've never felt better as far back as I can remember. I'm glad the medicine exists to help others accomplish the same.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.