1 in 8 Americans are now on Ozempic or other GLP1 meds

33,376 Views | 383 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by No Spin Ag
Teslag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/13/health/wegovy-trial-analysis/index.html

Quote:

More than 25,000 people in the US are starting Wegovy every week, drugmaker Novo Nordisk said this month. And in a KFF poll released Friday, 6% of respondents said they were currently using a drug in this class, known as GLP-1 receptor agonists. That translates to more than 15 million Americans.
Rip*91
AG
Good. People are trying to lose weight and take better care of themselves.
doubledog

Same result, but much cheaper.
DX2011
AG
Your quote seems to imply closer to 1/20, still crazy.
vansprinkle
AG
Let's hope there are no negative consequences to taking these drugs.

I'm glad people are trying to lose weight, for once. It's impossible to continuously out workout your diet. Even triathletes can get pudgy. Diet is 80% of the issue and it appears these drugs do a great job of getting people's diets in check.

Maybe if these do end up being miracle drugs our health insurance rates will go down as all the fatties get lean.

Edit: And this is coming from a guy that has to keep his diet in check and has been counting macros for years.
JW
AG
it works. I'm all for people getting to a healthy weight.
Teslag
AG
There's an embedded poll but it didn't link

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/10/health/ozempic-glp-1-survey-kff/index.html
Who?mikejones!
Why is this surprising to you?

We're not just fat as a country, we're morbidly obese. Our health system is strained by our girth.

So, when a new drug comes along that makes it easy, more or less, to get your size down without massive sacrifice, of course millions are gonna take it.
AtticusMatlock
Studies are showing these measurably reduce risk of heart attack and heart disease in general. Next part in the race is going to be reducing side effect profile.
Logos Stick
Rip*91 said:

The jury is still out on taking better care of themselves.

These drugs paralyze the smooth intestinal muscles which causes atrophy. Could have severe negative long term effects if taken long enough.
AtticusMatlock
If it reduces the strain on the healthcare system and reduces out payments by insurance companies, medicare, and medicaid for all of these chronic diseases caused by obesity, I'm all for it.

Obesity is directly linked to risk for stroke, heart failure, heart attack, diabetes, vascular disease, cancer, liver disease and a bunch of other stuff. Get people at a more normal weight for a few hundred bucks a month and you are saving the system billions of dollars in the future.
Sweep4-2
I've always adhered to the clean diet + weightlifting + cardio + sports to stay in shape all these years.

But I have noticed more and more friends and acquaintances who have combined weight loss drugs with a cocktail of testosterone/HGH/steroids and achieved some crazy good results (while keeping a relatively light training load).
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
a miracle drug that gives you what you want without work. what could go wrong.

all for people helping themselves but in my lifetime when something is to good to be true it typically is. but hey we should trust big pharma what could go wrong.
Teslag
AG
I think a lot of people take it long term for diabetes with no major issues on the whole. From my understanding they aren't new drugs, just being used differently.
Who?mikejones!
Obesity, and the related problems from being obese, is probably the most costly issue in our Healthcare system.

I'm sure these drugs should help with costs, but, I doubt we will see any cost relief from such wonder drugs.
AtticusMatlock
Gastroparesis is definitely a potential negative side effect. Is not occurring at a very high rate, but with millions of people taking it reports of side effects are going to become more common.
DrEvazanPhD
Teslag said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/13/health/wegovy-trial-analysis/index.html

Quote:

More than 25,000 people in the US are starting Wegovy every week, drugmaker Novo Nordisk said this month. And in a KFF poll released Friday, 6% of respondents said they were currently using a drug in this class, known as GLP-1 receptor agonists. That translates to more than 15 million Americans.

So is safe, free and effective?
infinity ag
I don't take any medicines. I don't even get flu shots. And I am fine.
Maybe at some point I will but I don't now. It is all a scam to keep money flowing.
JW
AG
It's not a care free, eat whatever you want drug. It causes a functional gastroparesis, forcing you to consume less. It's still calories in, calories out.
Sweep4-2
Same. I still think choosing what food goes into the body is far better than choosing what drug to consume, even if it's a miracle srug.

But that's not a popular opinion (and I respect that others feel differently and have achieved the same outcome weight-wise with a different approach).
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
BMX Bandit
Rip*91 said:

You' got the first part right

LMCane
Chris Williamson podcast had an entire episode devoted to this with a former fattie Englishman who took it and lost a lot of weight and is writing a book about the pros and cons.

It makes me so annoyed that for nearly 54 years I have been depriving myself of food and exercising to stay in shape- and with a waist of 32.8 inches will be the fattest American left in another 5 years

because I will be the only guy NOT taking a GLP 1.
MediAg13
AG
There has been an uptick of people coming to the ER due to vomiting and dehydration related to increased doses of these medications. They'll be on a lower dose that is well tolerated and with good results but when they go up on the dosing they develop gastroparesis. They tend to be very resistant to telling their doctor and reducing the dosage because they want to see faster results.
Dos Tortugas
AG
For many this is the only way to start the process of eating less. I've seen the drug work in the short term on several people that had almost given up hope with diet and exercise. I hope it works in the long term.

For those that are prediabetic, its a life changer that can bring people back from the edge and into a healthier life style.

I'd suggest buying stock in this company, because the drug isn't going any where and it works (for now).
AggielandPoultry
AG
Everyone I have seen using these drugs lose weight but look like total S#!t. Probably because they are just being starved in a way. Am I mistaken that you have to continue treatment for life?
samsal75
AG
Wonder if Ivermectin has the same weight loss result???
Kozmozag
Novo nordisk is single handedly fixing the Netherlands economy...lol, they may actually meet their nato goals with the increased tax money.
RK
AG
Quote:

Everyone I have seen using these drugs lose weight but look like total S#!t. Probably because they are just being starved in a way. Am I mistaken that you have to continue treatment for life?
exactly. if you are on it, you need to be more cognizant of what foods are you consuming. when paired with a proper diet and some exercise, i'm sure it's great. when not, you end up looking like a skin sack after a while.

....and when you get off of it, you go right back to where you started, more often than not. because you haven't changed anything in your mindset or decision making...you have just been eating less because you aren't hungry.
4stringAg
AG
My wife works at a company whose benefits won't just let your PCP prescribe them for weight loss (unless you have diabetes). in order to get the weight loss versions, you have to sign up for a 2 year program that requires you to have regular weigh-ins, log your diet, get lab/blood work, exercise and report on that, meet with nutritionists and nurses/doctors, etc. You don't have to take the drugs for 2 years but that's just the length of the program. The program itself is free and then all you pay is the copay on the medication as well as any copays for lab work.

to me that's a smart way to do it for some people because it somewhat forces the lifestyle change in order to get the medication. Ideally you'd learn and stay on some sort of healthier lifestyle after the program is over and can get off the medication as well.

fooz
I take the compound with TRT. Lost weight but not gainzz.
Teslag
AG
AggielandPoultry said:

I think they look like **** because they aren't combining it with exercising, especially resistance training.
Teslag
AG
4stringAg said:

My wife works at a company whose benefits won't just let your PCP prescribe them for weight loss (unless you have diabetes). in order to get the weight loss versions, you have to sign up for a 2 year program that requires you to have regular weigh-ins, log your diet, get lab/blood work, exercise and report on that, meet with nutritionists and nurses/doctors, etc. You don't have to take the drugs for 2 years but that's just the length of the program. The program itself is free and then all you pay is the copay on the medication as well as any copays for lab work.

to me that's a smart way to do it for some people because it somewhat forces the lifestyle change in order to get the medication. Ideally you'd learn and stay on some sort of healthier lifestyle after the program is over and can get off the medication as well.

This is what the VA does. You have to sign up for a 6 month total health program
fixer
I prefer discipline and mental resilience over a wonder drug.
Teslag
AG
fixer said:

I prefer discipline and mental resilience over a wonder drug.

I think that's easier to say for people like us that are generally healthy and already at our recommended weights. If we were 350 pounds and had a lifetime of terrible habits it might be different. And those people are horrible strains on our health system. We are all paying for them to be fat.
Tramp96
But is it sustainable?

Even if there are no long-term side effects (and you know there will be), is this a sustainable approach to weight loss?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.