1 in 8 Americans are now on Ozempic or other GLP1 meds

33,381 Views | 383 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by No Spin Ag
GenericAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been on it for 2 weeks. I felt nauseous first week. Stomach not great. Still hungry. 2nd week, no nausea but stomach still meh. This week, same. no nausea. stomach meh. not loving it.
slaughtr
AG
Aggies1322 said:

slaughtr said:

Aggies1322 said:

slaughtr said:

Aggies1322 said:

Rip*91 said:

slaughtr said:

Aggies1322 said:

cecil77 said:

Again, it's NOT one size fits all! All of these "people just need to..." comments aren't accurate all the time.

Is your base metabolic rate 2400 calories per day? 1800 calories per day? 3800 calories per day?

Without know that, you don't know what "someone needs to do".

Wouldn't matter either way.. whether your body burns more or less calories, you will lose weight by intermittent fasting and eating less calories than you burn. So yes, one size does fit all.

All?
I'm an insulin dependent diabetic on an insulin pump. How, exactly, am I supposed to fast?

Your health be damned! You are supposed to follow the instructions of the ever brilliant posters of F16! They know more about what is good for you than you do.

I'm also an insulin dependent diabetic.. I fast 20 hours at a time, it has been wonderful for controlling my blood sugar. My A1C was in the prediabetic range despite me being a type 1 diabetic. But you're right.. none of us know anything.

Good luck controlling your insulin usage like that. My A1c has been in the low 6's for 35 years. I think I know how to manage my diabetes and fasting for 20 hours a day is insane.

Why is that? Have you tried? It hasn't had any negative impact on me controlling my insulin usage.

Why would I ever consider fasting for 20 hours a day? I like food and a normal life.

So you can't explain why it will be difficult controlling my insulin use? Why would you try- because it is healthy. Intermittent fasting has a ton of health benefits.

I guess I fell asleep the day they taught that method of basal insulin dosage in medical school. Have fun not eating.
Aggies1322
AG
slaughtr said:

Aggies1322 said:

slaughtr said:

Aggies1322 said:

slaughtr said:

Aggies1322 said:

Rip*91 said:

slaughtr said:

Aggies1322 said:

cecil77 said:

Again, it's NOT one size fits all! All of these "people just need to..." comments aren't accurate all the time.

Is your base metabolic rate 2400 calories per day? 1800 calories per day? 3800 calories per day?

Without know that, you don't know what "someone needs to do".

Wouldn't matter either way.. whether your body burns more or less calories, you will lose weight by intermittent fasting and eating less calories than you burn. So yes, one size does fit all.

All?
I'm an insulin dependent diabetic on an insulin pump. How, exactly, am I supposed to fast?

Your health be damned! You are supposed to follow the instructions of the ever brilliant posters of F16! They know more about what is good for you than you do.

I'm also an insulin dependent diabetic.. I fast 20 hours at a time, it has been wonderful for controlling my blood sugar. My A1C was in the prediabetic range despite me being a type 1 diabetic. But you're right.. none of us know anything.

Good luck controlling your insulin usage like that. My A1c has been in the low 6's for 35 years. I think I know how to manage my diabetes and fasting for 20 hours a day is insane.

Why is that? Have you tried? It hasn't had any negative impact on me controlling my insulin usage.

Why would I ever consider fasting for 20 hours a day? I like food and a normal life.

So you can't explain why it will be difficult controlling my insulin use? Why would you try- because it is healthy. Intermittent fasting has a ton of health benefits.

I guess I fell asleep the day they taught that method of basal insulin dosage in medical school. Have fun not eating.

I have roughly a unit of insulin delivered per hour. Which typically keeps me in a good range because my body has cortisol, adrenaline, etc that causes my bg to increase. I'm failing to understand what your perceived issue is with IF in regard to being insulin dependent.
Baseball Is Life
Stonegateag85 said:

100g of chicken breast still only contains 30ish grams of protein, 6 egg whites is roughly 24g of protein. I don't have the time cook that much nor stomach capacity to eat that much dense food thus why supplementing is the way to go for me.

Look into pork chops. The pork chops I buy, have over 60g of protein and just a little over 500 calories.
jamey
AG
AtticusMatlock said:

If it reduces the strain on the healthcare system and reduces out payments by insurance companies, medicare, and medicaid for all of these chronic diseases caused by obesity, I'm all for it.

Obesity is directly linked to risk for stroke, heart failure, heart attack, diabetes, vascular disease, cancer, liver disease and a bunch of other stuff. Get people at a more normal weight for a few hundred bucks a month and you are saving the system billions of dollars in the future.

I wonder how much 1 in 8 people were eating. 12.5% of population eating something like 20% of the total?

Maybe we see the price of food come down a little. 1 in 8 is a lot of people
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
If Pareto is to be believed, 20% were eating 80%. If price is to be believed, the square root of the number of people was eating half.
EMY92
AG
samurai_science said:

Teslag said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Tramp96 said:

But is it sustainable?

Even if there are no long-term side effects (and you know there will be), is this a sustainable approach to weight loss?

Studies have shown that people gain the weight back upon stopping the drug. It's basically a "forever" drug. The long-term effects of paralyzing your internal organs isn't known at this time.

It was originally a diabetic drug so it was designed to be taken long term with minimal side effects
Sure, sure, it wont be the first drug that was designed for a lot of things but years later we know its unsafe. Like CAR-T, took 7 years, but it was finally shown to induce Parkinsonism, it also was SAFE. lol

I've been on the same type of drug for 40 years. No issues caused by the drug in that time. If I didn't take it, I would have been dead for 40 years, so I'll continue.
EMY92
AG
Foamcows said:

arent these drugs like 1000 a month? I would think that we see impacts from insurance companies costs going through the roof.
Let's compare that with the costs of diabetes. I'll give the retail costs for what I use for diabetes management.

Insulin - $450/vial. I use 2.5 vials per month. Total $1125
Infusion set - 1 per week @ $50/ea. Total $200
Insulin reservoir - 6 per month @ $15 ea. Total $90
Glucose test trips $1 ea., 100 per month $100
Continuous glucose sensor $150/ea, use 1 per week, $600
Total about $2115/month. This is assuming only 4 weeks per month. So, for the yearly figure, multiply by 13.

And then there can be a few other things, but the cost is still cheaper than treating diabetes.
ts5641
What could go wrong? Large amounts of people on Rx meds. Should work out fine.
cecil77
AG
These are sociological problems.

When most people were physically active all day, it didn't much matter what/when they ate.

You CAN exercise (i.e. move) yourself to healthy weight (barring complete lack of discipline in eating). It just takes focus.

Park at the back of the lot. Take the stairs. Flex your abs when driving. Put a Cubi under your desk. When carrying anything hold it out to your side (unbalanced loads exercise the core), or curl it or press it, just move around whatever you're carrying. In addition to 4-5 hours per week of focused exercise.

Do this kind of stuff all day, everyday and it becomes a habit. Makes a big difference, even if people do notice you doing it.
Teslag
AG
ts5641 said:

What could go wrong? Large amounts of people on Rx meds. Should work out fine.

Do you know how many people are currently on lifetime meds for various ailments without issue?
Teslag
AG
cecil77 said:

When most people were physically active all day, it didn't much matter what/when they ate.

You CAN exercise (i.e. move) yourself to healthy weight (barring complete lack of discipline in eating). It just takes focus.

Park at the back of the lot. Take the stairs. Flex your abs when driving. Put a Cubi under your desk. When carrying anything hold it out to your side (unbalanced loads exercise the core), or curl it or press it, just move around whatever you're carrying. In addition to 4-5 hours per week of focused exercise.

Do this kind of stuff all day, everyday and it becomes a habit. Makes a big difference, even if people do notice you doing it.

Obesity is mostly about poor diet and over eating, not exercise. Our food is terrible and we eat too much as a society.
jrdaustin
AG
Teslag said:

These meds have been out for almost 20 years now.
For weight loss?

It's a known fact that meds used safely to treat one condition may have unintended effects when used off label for another.

Opiates come to mind. I have a friend that has been Stage 4 for years and has been on opiates all that time to deal with pain. It works fabulously for her. Others, not so much.
Teslag
AG
Not for weight loss. But we do now their mechanism of action and how they interact with the body over the long term.
BCG Disciple
AG
Age old argument on this thread. It is very difficult for grown persons to make adjustments on the scale needed to reverse a lifetime of poor health habits. And the sample set on here is usually those that are higher performers, mentally stronger, and more likely to educate themselves and make disciplined improvements. In all reality, pointing this out does nothing to address the problem. I'm guessing those making the drive by comments are also libertarians. Sure, sounds great, but it's not practical.

Our system is broken from the start. As pointed out, purposeful marketing of trash food and lobbyists protecting businesses and big pharma. Not to mention our education system fails us in terms of understanding the importance of it all, and they serve trash food at schools because it's easier. We stand very little chance falling victim to the spoils of western civilization.

Personally, I have an appreciation for those that will at least try. It may not take hold at first, but there can be iterative lifestyle adjustments that may take years to fully take root. Once people know they can lose the weight, know they feel better, and when they get fat again they will take it again and make a few more adjustments. It's a process.
cecil77
AG
Teslag said:

cecil77 said:

Obesity is mostly about poor diet and over eating, not exercise. Our food is terrible and we eat too much as a society.

Terrible food IS a sociological problem. Inducements to consume too much IS a sociological problem.

And yes, in addition to food consumption, it absolutely IS about lack of movement. Avoid the term "exercise" as that implies just the purposeful 30 minutes or so per day, which is necessary, but not sufficient. It's about the rest of the day. Constant and continual movement, even if it's at your desk. A mindset of utilizing muscles at all times and whenever possible.

It's a different way of thinking, and few people even ever think of it.

There was a study years back of an Native American Tribe which had obesity issues. The would take volunteers and put them in a sealed room for 24 hours and monitor them while measuring ALL inputs and outputs. One person sat and watched TV all day. Another was restless, continually walked around. Guess which one was obese and which one wasn't? Fidgeting alone can burn tremendous amounts of calories, because it's constant, continual movement.

Teslag
AG
Agreed. A total lifestyle change is necessary.
Harry Stone
AG
I used to be super fit. Worked out for about 3 hrs/day, 6 days a week and ate clean. Then I got married, had kids and started 2 separate businesses. Was at the office at 4:30 am, quit exercising, basically got too busy to think about working out. This went on for almost a decade. Started eating for convenience, put on weight and just never felt like exercising. Then I got on Tirzepatide last year, lost 40lbs and got down to my pre kids/ pre marriage weight. I'm now back in the gym again 3-4 times a week, and feeling the best I feel in a decade. Had I not taken the shot I dont think I wouldve changed anytime soon, but seeing all that weight fall off reshaped my mentality to wanna get fit and healthy again.
Stonegateag85
My man.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Rip*91 said:

Good. People are trying to lose weight and take better care of themselves.

Yep. We could collectively stand to lose about 300 million pounds.

The cost should be dropped significantly though - but I should say what I save in food cost probably evens it out. I don't go out to eat as often or stop for binge snacks, etc. And I eat less like no appetizer with a meal out. Just a simple and often smaller dish. At fast food places if I do eat it is just a sandwich without a side - no fries or chips.

My wife had the brilliant idea of adding it to the water supply like flouride - lol - unfortunately I discovered it is not water soluble so not a viable solution. But smart.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Harry Stone said:

I used to be super fit. Worked out for about 3 hrs/day, 6 days a week and ate clean. Then I got married, had kids and started 2 separate businesses. Was at the office at 4:30 am, quit exercising, basically got too busy to think about working out. This went on for almost a decade. Started eating for convenience, put on weight and just never felt like exercising. Then I got on Tirzepatide last year, lost 40lbs and got down to my pre kids/ pre marriage weight. I'm now back in the gym again 3-4 times a week, and feeling the best I feel in a decade. Had I not taken the shot I dont think I wouldve changed anytime soon, but seeing all that weight fall off reshaped my mentality to wanna get fit and healthy again.

Yep.

I got on semaglutide last June. I've lost 50 pounds. I was at my heaviest ever before this (275) after 2 decades of cycling on and off highly restrictive diets and exercise. Now I simply am not hungry most of the time especially for any junk food. I'm not super active as age is winning out, but definitely feeling a lot better physically and can do more.
Nanomachines son
Stonegateag85 said:

100g of chicken breast still only contains 30ish grams of protein, 6 egg whites is roughly 24g of protein. I don't have the time cook that much nor stomach capacity to eat that much dense food thus why supplementing is the way to go for me.

Eat bigger meals, prepare before. It's trivial for me to eat a 1 lb burger. It should not be hard to consume 100g of protein in a single meal.

With that said, you don't need more than 0.7 grams of protein per lb of body weight unless you're using steroids. That is the only way for your body to absorb more protein on any given day.
Nanomachines son
AggielandPoultry said:

Stonegateag85 said:

Check out Muscle Egg they sell a great product. I may even rep them soon. Pasturized flavored or unflavored egg whites that ship frozen and last 1 month in the fridge. I use 4 gallons of vanilla a month. "26g of protein per cup" I eat 2 cups of egg whites with rice krispies 3 times a day and they taste amazing. Can't even tell they are egg whites, more like milk, you can mix them in coffee, cook them or just drink them, lots of options and flavors.

A word of warning about muscle egg, your farts will set off an H2S monitor and clear a room easily multiple times a day. Nothing ever gave me the protein farts like muscle egg did, not even when I was eating 300g a day.
Teslag
AG
Was yours covered by insurance?
AggielandPoultry
AG
Nanomachines son said:

AggielandPoultry said:

Stonegateag85 said:

Check out Muscle Egg they sell a great product. I may even rep them soon. Pasturized flavored or unflavored egg whites that ship frozen and last 1 month in the fridge. I use 4 gallons of vanilla a month. "26g of protein per cup" I eat 2 cups of egg whites with rice krispies 3 times a day and they taste amazing. Can't even tell they are egg whites, more like milk, you can mix them in coffee, cook them or just drink them, lots of options and flavors.

A word of warning about muscle egg, your farts will set off an H2S monitor and clear a room easily multiple times a day. Nothing ever gave me the protein farts like muscle egg did, not even when I was eating 300g a day.

100% truth!
Harry Stone
AG
Teslag said:

Was yours covered by insurance?

You dont need insurance if you call my family's pharmacy and get the compounded generic semaglutide or tirzepatide. Most strengths are under $200 until you get to the higher strengths and even then theyre still much cheaper than getting wegovy and moujaro, especially because i will give an aggie discount.
Teslag
AG
I've heard of those. Are the compounded versions the same as the formulary versions?
AggielandPoultry
AG
Honestly I have mentally been against people using these drugs to lose weight knowing just how hard I work to stay lean, etc. But the truth is, if i were overweight with issues I would take it as well. No different than bodybuilders I know taking huge amounts of steroids to get big. Either way we are all going to die at some point.
Harry Stone
AG
Teslag said:

I've heard of those. Are the compounded versions the same as the formulary versions?

For the most part yes. A few texagers have used us. Main difference is we cant use an injection pen but rather a small insulin syringe. We can currently do while the drugs are on shortage or backorder. Once they go off then everyone has to go back to paying a small mortgage on them. But the demand has far outweighed the supply so theyll be on shortage for a while.
Stonegateag85
We've been eating garbage food for decades. The record obesity is a new phenomenon. As kids we ate all kinds of garbage and nobody was fat.
Stonegateag85
Nanomachines son said:

Stonegateag85 said:

Eat bigger meals, prepare before. It's trivial for me to eat a 1 lb burger. It should not be hard to consume 100g of protein in a single meal.

With that said, you don't need more than 0.7 grams of protein per lb of body weight unless you're using steroids. That is the only way for your body to absorb more protein on any given day.
I don't like eating big meals and feeling full. I go the full gram as I workout 5-6x a week (at least I try to), some days I'll double up with 4-5 miles in the morning and a 30 min lift before I pick my son up from school. It's overkill but it works for me.
Stonegateag85
Gonna put in an order.
Moon Shadow
One of my son-in-laws, through hard work and weight lifting worked up his muscle mass to where he was "under tall" for his weight.
He was sent to the post gym on the "Fat-boy" program.
When asked what he was doing there, he replied, "They sent me down here on the "Fat Boy" Program!"
The gym instructor told him, "To get out of here!"
Teslag
AG
Harry Stone said:

Teslag said:

For the most part yes. A few texagers have used us. Main difference is we cant use an injection pen but rather a small insulin syringe. We can currently do while the drugs are on shortage or backorder. Once they go off then everyone has to go back to paying a small mortgage on them. But the demand has far outweighed the supply so theyll be on shortage for a while.

I may have to hit you up. We have quite a few overweight soldiers in my unit trying to pass the army's new body fat standard. Unfortunately Tricare is making them take Phentermine, then Contrave, and then Qsymia before they'll approve Wegovy.
cecil77
AG
Stonegateag85 said:

We've been eating garbage food for decades. The record obesity is a new phenomenon. As kids we ate all kinds of garbage and nobody was fat.
This.

We moved more back then.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.