1 in 8 Americans are now on Ozempic or other GLP1 meds

33,452 Views | 383 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by No Spin Ag
Rip*91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
slaughtr said:

Aggies1322 said:

cecil77 said:

Again, it's NOT one size fits all! All of these "people just need to..." comments aren't accurate all the time.

Is your base metabolic rate 2400 calories per day? 1800 calories per day? 3800 calories per day?

Without know that, you don't know what "someone needs to do".

Wouldn't matter either way.. whether your body burns more or less calories, you will lose weight by intermittent fasting and eating less calories than you burn. So yes, one size does fit all.

All?
I'm an insulin dependent diabetic on an insulin pump. How, exactly, am I supposed to fast?

Your health be damned! You are supposed to follow the instructions of the ever brilliant posters of F16! They know more about what is good for you than you do.
IIIHorn

Never believe it's not so

YouBet
AG
Teslag said:

YouBet said:

I don't know that I care about this but I'm definitely sitting out any new drugs going forward unless I'm on my deathbed. I'll combat this one the old fashioned way.

This drug has been around for almost 20 years

My personal threshold for established drug is 21 years. So...in your face.
Aggies1322
AG
slaughtr said:

Aggies1322 said:

cecil77 said:

Again, it's NOT one size fits all! All of these "people just need to..." comments aren't accurate all the time.

Is your base metabolic rate 2400 calories per day? 1800 calories per day? 3800 calories per day?

Wouldn't matter either way.. whether your body burns more or less calories, you will lose weight by intermittent fasting and eating less calories than you burn. So yes, one size does fit all.

All?
I'm an insulin dependent diabetic on an insulin pump. How, exactly, am I supposed to fast?

I'm an insulin dependent diabetic too.. I fast for 20 hours a day.
Aggies1322
AG
Rip*91 said:

slaughtr said:

Aggies1322 said:

cecil77 said:

All?

Your health be damned! You are supposed to follow the instructions of the ever brilliant posters of F16! They know more about what is good for you than you do.

I'm also an insulin dependent diabetic.. I fast 20 hours at a time, it has been wonderful for controlling my blood sugar. My A1C was in the prediabetic range despite me being a type 1 diabetic. But you're right.. none of us know anything.
Aggies1322
AG
cecil77 said:

"fewer" calories.

If your body burns more calories you may not need to lessen intake, but increase burning.

If your body burns fewer the intermittent fasting (all the rage now, I know) may not do much at all. And it's not that new, that old grandmother's mantra was "breakfast is gold, lunch is silver, supper is lead" (ignoring the fact that lead is lighter than the other two you get the intent.
One of the most insulting phrases in the world is "what you need to do is...". How on earth does any human know what another human "needs" to do. You may know what works for you, you may know what you might suggest another person try that might work for them., etc. But "need". Nope.

And even then it's calories digested minus calories metabolized. Nothing else is germane. All the other stuff are just aids to increase one side or decrease the other.

Not necessarily true.. intermittent fasting is not just a way to help you consume less calories. There are other documented benefits to doing so - one being autop h agy, another being reducing insulin resistance (insulin resistance being a primary cause of a number of metabolic diseases).
G Martin 87
AG
There are a lot of comments about getting insurance to pay for GLP-1s for weight loss, as well as comments about how the overall health care benefits would outweigh the costs. For those who are truly interested in the economics of all this, I recommend this column by Mike Bertaut. (I know Mike well; he's our chief healthcare economist and a good friend.)

www.straighttalkla.com/can-you-afford-your-miracle-weight-loss-drugs-in-2024/

Quote:

My colleagues and I did extensive modeling on health insurance covering GLP-1 drugs for Type 2 diabetes and looked at the overall medical costs of Type 2 diabetics for employers and the healthcare system. It became quickly apparent that buying those drugs for that population was well worth the cost. In fact, I immediately recommended that Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana cover GLP-1s for Type 2 diabetes, and we do. In all our group and individual products, an eligible member who has Type 2 diabetes will have insurance coverage for Ozempic and other GLP-1 drugs.

Quote:

On average, the spread in the national research is 0.9 to 1.3% of the group will present with Type 2 diabetes after 12 months. That's between 9 and 13 out of 1,000 obese people. To provide the 1,000 obese folks with GLP-1s for that year would cost at least $11 million. So, all a health plan has to do is invest $11 million to keep 13 people from becoming diabetic. You can see how quickly the math on this falls apart.

But Mike, WHY are these drugs so expensive? Surely the price will come down soon.

Currently, the demand for GLP-1s is far outstripping the drug companies' ability to create them. As a result, the prices for these drugs INCREASED on Jan. 1 of this year by 4-6%. So no, prices are not going down.

In fact, the shortages are so bad at this point that people who can afford to buy the drugs out of pocket to help them with weight loss are grabbing up all the supply. And that leaves the Type 2 diabetics (who need the drugs to keep a long-term health condition under control) struggling to fill their prescriptions.

Quote:

We can't have a conversation about the price of GLP-1s without noting some global realities.

Drug manufacturer Novo Nordisk is selling Ozempic to the United Kingdom's National Health Service for the equivalent of $240 a month. That means here in the U.S., we are paying 400% MORE. The other GLP-1 manufacturers have cut similar deals with Germany, Canada and France, leaving the U.S. holding the bag again and paying 300-500% MORE for the same drugs. Seems a bit unfair, right? If we could get GLP-1s here in the U.S. for $240/month, we'd be having a VERY different conversation about coverage for non-diabetic obese patients. But right now, we can't.

Quote:

At this time, in the United States, the drug companies are charging us (and you) far too much for these drugs AND they are raising the prices on them as we write this. At the same time, they are charging 1/4 as much for the exact same drugs sold to the UK, Germany, and France to name a few countries.
Like you, I would benefit from insurance coverage of these drugs as well. We would be asking employers to absorb 15-25% rates increases just to provide 3 years of coverage for these drugs at modest uptake rates (think 20-25% of their obese populations). Then that increase would be shared to their employees and the non-obese populations as well.
Stonegateag85
Calculating your BMR and tracking your calories isn't hard, we make apps that are very easy to use. It's tedious though and people don't have the discipline or want to.
Buck Turgidson
So rather than un**** our food supply, we are going to keep feeding people crap that makes them sick and obese so that we can then sell them more poison to make them sicker but thinner.
Stonegateag85
I can't even consume enough natural protein to hit my goal
Of 1 gram per pound (200g). I have to supplement with at least one shake and a 60 gram protein Greek yogurt mix. 200g of protein is no joke.
Jeeper79
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

So rather than un**** our food supply, we are going to keep feeding people crap that makes them sick and obese so that we can then sell them more poison to make them sick and thinner.
We can fix our food, but it'll take the one thing people here can't stand… More government.
KidDoc
AG
G Martin 87 said:

There are a lot of comments about getting insurance to pay for GLP-1s for weight loss, as well as comments about how the overall health care benefits would outweigh the costs. For those who are truly interested in the economics of all this, I recommend this column by Mike Bertaut. (I know Mike well; he's our chief healthcare economist and a good friend.)

www.straighttalkla.com/can-you-afford-your-miracle-weight-loss-drugs-in-2024/

Quote:

My colleagues and I did extensive modeling on health insurance covering GLP-1 drugs for Type 2 diabetes and looked at the overall medical costs of Type 2 diabetics for employers and the healthcare system. It became quickly apparent that buying those drugs for that population was well worth the cost. In fact, I immediately recommended that Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana cover GLP-1s for Type 2 diabetes, and we do. In all our group and individual products, an eligible member who has Type 2 diabetes will have insurance coverage for Ozempic and other GLP-1 drugs.

Quote:

On average, the spread in the national research is 0.9 to 1.3% of the group will present with Type 2 diabetes after 12 months. That's between 9 and 13 out of 1,000 obese people. To provide the 1,000 obese folks with GLP-1s for that year would cost at least $11 million. So, all a health plan has to do is invest $11 million to keep 13 people from becoming diabetic. You can see how quickly the math on this falls apart.

But Mike, WHY are these drugs so expensive? Surely the price will come down soon.

Currently, the demand for GLP-1s is far outstripping the drug companies' ability to create them. As a result, the prices for these drugs INCREASED on Jan. 1 of this year by 4-6%. So no, prices are not going down.

In fact, the shortages are so bad at this point that people who can afford to buy the drugs out of pocket to help them with weight loss are grabbing up all the supply. And that leaves the Type 2 diabetics (who need the drugs to keep a long-term health condition under control) struggling to fill their prescriptions.

Quote:

We can't have a conversation about the price of GLP-1s without noting some global realities.

Drug manufacturer Novo Nordisk is selling Ozempic to the United Kingdom's National Health Service for the equivalent of $240 a month. That means here in the U.S., we are paying 400% MORE. The other GLP-1 manufacturers have cut similar deals with Germany, Canada and France, leaving the U.S. holding the bag again and paying 300-500% MORE for the same drugs. Seems a bit unfair, right? If we could get GLP-1s here in the U.S. for $240/month, we'd be having a VERY different conversation about coverage for non-diabetic obese patients. But right now, we can't.

Quote:

At this time, in the United States, the drug companies are charging us (and you) far too much for these drugs AND they are raising the prices on them as we write this. At the same time, they are charging 1/4 as much for the exact same drugs sold to the UK, Germany, and France to name a few countries.
Like you, I would benefit from insurance coverage of these drugs as well. We would be asking employers to absorb 15-25% rates increases just to provide 3 years of coverage for these drugs at modest uptake rates (think 20-25% of their obese populations). Then that increase would be shared to their employees and the non-obese populations as well.

Great points especially how USA seems to be always left holding the purse for big pharma. As a front line doc though it is very frustrating that I have to wait until my obese teens are sick then I can help them.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

So rather than un**** our food supply, we are going to keep feeding people crap that makes them sick and obese so that we can then sell them more poison to make them sick and thinner.
It isn't just the food supply it starts very young with aggressive advertising of addictive junk food to kids. So kids, especially poor kids, get hooked on a terrible diet and then tax dollars buy the soda and junk that eventually gets them sick.

Lobbies for healthy kids are nowhere near as powerful as coke and nabisco though.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Malibu
My 0.02 on exercise. While "exercise" is good advice (well, no ****), if your why for exercising is "lose weight" or "be healthier", I am reasonably confident you won't stick with it in the long run. It's like saying you have to torture yourself doing something uncomfortable for extended periods of time so that you look better naked. Most people will tap out pretty quickly after that, because most of us don't do things that suck and feel bad for extended periods of time based on a nagging feeling we should.

Your why should be a lot bigger than that. The body releases stress through movement, it's a necessary biological function to improve your mental wellbeing. Your why can include being a more patient parent, having more energy at work, dedication to seeing a goal to its conclusion. That'll keep you coming back when it isn't fun to come back. But if you keep coming back and start to get good at exercise, something fun happens. It feels ****ing fantastic to have an endorphin rush of pure animalistic power as you feel your raw energy and strength. Or for the more religious of us, "when I run, I feel God's pleasure" - Chariots of Fire.

I work out ~1-2 hours a day and train with like minded people, most of whom are ex D1 athletes and one person who actually went to the olympics. Absolutely nobody I train with does so because they want to feel healthy and keep the pounds off. It's a nice bonus, but the why is almost always tied to having a goal and seeing the results of being better able to handle life's challenges through a commitment to moving your body.
Teslag
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

What makes semiglutide a poison?
Stonegateag85
My why is I'm vain as **** and want to be in better shape than my bros and other dads at my kids school. Keeps me getting up at 6am six days awake to kick my own ass. It's not fun or enjoyable except afterwards.
Malibu
Stonegateag85 said:

My why is I'm vain as **** and want to be in better shape than my bros and other dads at my kids school. Keeps me getting up at 6am six days awake to kick my own ass. It's not fun or enjoyable except afterwards.
I'm just gonna throw this out there...it could be fun and enjoyable while you're doing it too and you get the same benefits.
Stonegateag85
I know, I know. I just do everything alone. Eventually when my kids are older, I would like to get back into a group setting like you are. It's just impossible between work and two under 3. Until then I'll keep grinding away every morning.
evan_aggie
AG
Malibu said:

My 0.02 on exercise. While "exercise" is good advice (well, no ****), if your why for exercising is "lose weight" or "be healthier", I am reasonably confident you won't stick with it in the long run. It's like saying you have to torture yourself doing something uncomfortable for extended periods of time so that you look better naked. Most people will tap out pretty quickly after that, because most of us don't do things that suck and feel bad for extended periods of time based on a nagging feeling we should.

Your why should be a lot bigger than that. The body releases stress through movement, it's a necessary biological function to improve your mental wellbeing. Your why can include being a more patient parent, having more energy at work, dedication to seeing a goal to its conclusion. That'll keep you coming back when it isn't fun to come back. But if you keep coming back and start to get good at exercise, something fun happens. It feels ****ing fantastic to have an endorphin rush of pure animalistic power as you feel your raw energy and strength. Or for the more religious of us, "when I run, I feel God's pleasure" - Chariots of Fire.

I work out ~1-2 hours a day and train with like minded people, most of whom are ex D1 athletes and one person who actually went to the olympics. Absolutely nobody I train with does so because they want to feel healthy and keep the pounds off. It's a nice bonus, but the why is almost always tied to having a goal and seeing the results of being better able to handle life's challenges through a commitment to moving your body.

Fantastic advice. How old are your kids?

vansprinkle
AG
Stonegateag85 said:

I can't even consume enough natural protein to hit my goal
Of 1 gram per pound (200g). I have to supplement with at least one shake and a 60 gram protein Greek yogurt mix. 200g of protein is no joke.

Nah, just eat more egg whites and chicken breast. The hard part is hitting 200gs of protein and not hitting a ton of calories while doing it. Lean protein is key.
Malibu
5 and 2.
slaughtr
AG
Aggies1322 said:

Rip*91 said:

slaughtr said:

Aggies1322 said:

cecil77 said:

All?

I'm also an insulin dependent diabetic.. I fast 20 hours at a time, it has been wonderful for controlling my blood sugar. My A1C was in the prediabetic range despite me being a type 1 diabetic. But you're right.. none of us know anything.

Good luck controlling your insulin usage like that. My A1c has been in the low 6's for 35 years. I think I know how to manage my diabetes and fasting for 20 hours a day is insane.
Stonegateag85
100g of chicken breast still only contains 30ish grams of protein, 6 egg whites is roughly 24g of protein. I don't have the time cook that much nor stomach capacity to eat that much dense food thus why supplementing is the way to go for me.
Malibu
Stonegateag85 said:

100g of chicken breast still only contains 30ish grams of protein, 6 egg whites is roughly 24g of protein. I don't have the time cook that much nor stomach capacity to eat that much dense food thus why supplementing is the way to go for me.
I have a bag of Costco Pacific Gold beef jerky bag sitting on my desk as a snack at all times.
Aggies1322
AG
slaughtr said:

Aggies1322 said:

Rip*91 said:

slaughtr said:

Aggies1322 said:

cecil77 said:

All?

Good luck controlling your insulin usage like that. My A1c has been in the low 6's for 35 years. I think I know how to manage my diabetes and fasting for 20 hours a day is insane.

Why is that? Have you tried? It hasn't had any negative impact on me controlling my insulin usage.
evan_aggie
AG
Malibu said:

5 and 2.

I'll sit down in my corner and shut up now.

I'll say this: not many people can say they've lost 90 lbs. I can. 231 down to 141. I was 17.

Later I went from 195 to 170 in my early 30s and was fit AF. But I rode my bike for 3 hours a week, did Orange Theory and camp gladiator 2-3 times a week. My
Metabolism was through the roof.

It's hard to find the time when working 40+ hrs a week and spending time with my daughter when she up. 6am would work...but crazy difficult
AggielandPoultry
AG
Stonegateag85 said:

Check out Muscle Egg they sell a great product. I may even rep them soon. Pasturized flavored or unflavored egg whites that ship frozen and last 1 month in the fridge. I use 4 gallons of vanilla a month. "26g of protein per cup" I eat 2 cups of egg whites with rice krispies 3 times a day and they taste amazing. Can't even tell they are egg whites, more like milk, you can mix them in coffee, cook them or just drink them, lots of options and flavors.
cecil77
AG
Amazon Echo scale tracks BMI.
techno-ag
AG
AggielandPoultry said:

Stonegateag85 said:

Check out Muscle Egg they sell a great product. I may even rep them soon. Pasturized flavored or unflavored egg whites that ship frozen and last 1 month in the fridge. I use 4 gallons of vanilla a month. "26g of protein per cup" I eat 2 cups of egg whites with rice krispies 3 times a day and they taste amazing. Can't even tell they are egg whites, more like milk, you can mix them in coffee, cook them or just drink them, lots of options and flavors.
Username… checks out.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

Malibu
evan_aggie said:

Malibu said:

5 and 2.

I'll sit down in my corner and shut up now.

I'll say this: not many people can say they've lost 90 lbs. I can. 231 down to 141. I was 17.

Later I went from 195 to 170 in my early 30s and was fit AF. But I rode my bike for 3 hours a week, did Orange Theory and camp gladiator 2-3 times a week. My
Metabolism was through the roof.

It's hard to find the time when working 40+ hrs a week and spending time with my daughter when she up. 6am would work...but crazy difficult
That's an incredible story and good on you for that huge journey! My wife works out as much as I do and we have to have a Sunday PM meeting to coordinate our workout schedules and parenting schedules. It does take being pretty disciplined about time management. Most of my training crew has small kids too, which is a huge plus training with people who "get it" and know that a 5:15AM run means if you show up at 5:17AM you better catch up cause we gone.
slaughtr
AG
Aggies1322 said:

slaughtr said:

Aggies1322 said:

Rip*91 said:

slaughtr said:

Aggies1322 said:

cecil77 said:

All?

Why is that? Have you tried? It hasn't had any negative impact on me controlling my insulin usage.

Why would I ever consider fasting for 20 hours a day? I like food and a normal life.
Aggies1322
AG
slaughtr said:

Aggies1322 said:

slaughtr said:

Aggies1322 said:

Rip*91 said:

slaughtr said:

Aggies1322 said:

cecil77 said:

All?

Why would I ever consider fasting for 20 hours a day? I like food and a normal life.

So you can't explain why it will be difficult controlling my insulin use? Why would you try- because it is healthy. Intermittent fasting has a ton of health benefits.
PacoPicoPiedra
AG
vansprinkle said:

Let's hope there are no negative consequences to taking these drugs.

I'm glad people are trying to lose weight, for once. It's impossible to continuously out workout your diet. Even triathletes can get pudgy. Diet is 80% of the issue and it appears these drugs do a great job of getting people's diets in check.

Maybe if these do end up being miracle drugs our health insurance rates will go down as all the fatties get lean.

Edit: And this is coming from a guy that has to keep his diet in check and has been counting macros for years.

Triathletes get pudgy because they shirk lifting weights; I know them well because I was one. I think people end up with long term pancreatic and digestive issues along with huge weight gains once stopping the meds. Just my opinion, but I don't see anything good coming from it besides short term weight loss as the vast majority won't make the necessary lifestyle changes.
Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception.
Teslag
AG
What if the just don't stop the meds? They were originally designed for long term use anyway.
PacoPicoPiedra
AG
Teslag said:

What if the just don't stop the meds? They were originally designed for long term use anyway.

For diabetics, sure, but no one's certain what it does to otherwise healthy people long term. Not everyone taking the shot is obese, they're just looking for a shortcut to trimming down.
Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.